Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

malthrin

The Way of the Light: Holy in Cataclysm

336 posts in this topic

I figured WoW Talent Calculator - Sigrie was the default talent spec from initially looking at the talents. The Protection sub spec seems really underwhelming.

Currently Paladin healing feels the same... Though we have more tools, nothing has changed aside from introducing shock into our rotation.

The new cone heal talent "Light of Dawn" is really bad. I would almost consider skipping it. We'll see how the real content at 85 changes things.

The point of the talent that gives Holy Power from healing your Beacon is that during a lull in healing, you can save up some HP and use Word of Glory when things get more active. It seems like the % chance of gaining HP needs to go up.

If Cone of Healing is hard to use, they can adjust the range of the cone. Age of Conan had a Cone of healing spell that worked decently.

I didn't expect the Beacon to get healing from Light of Dawn or Healing Hands, because those aren't direct heals (similar to GoHL).

Gaining Holy Power currently seems really quick and easy, almost everything gives you a charge. The max charges you can have is 3.

It takes 1 charge of Holy Power to cast Word of Glory (though a 3 stack means the WoG will heal for more).

The point of the talent that gives Holy Power from healing your Beacon is that during a lull in healing, you can save up some HP and use Word of Glory when things get more active. It seems like the % chance of gaining HP needs to go up.

From my tests, it looks like 3/3 Tower of Radiance is 100% chance to generate Holy Power and Holy Shock is also 100% for both healing and offense. Holy Shock also generates 2 Holy Power when cast on your Beacon target with 3/3 Tower of Radiance.

From my tests, it looks like 3/3 Tower of Radiance is 100% chance to generate Holy Power and Holy Shock is also 100% for both healing and offense. Holy Shock also generates 2 Holy Power when cast on your Beacon target with 3/3 Tower of Radiance.

Does Word of Glory give you Holy Power with Tower of Radiance? I would assume it does based on the wording.

If so, ToR's most important use might be throughput healing while moving (3WoG + HS = another 3WoG, plus self-sustaining 1WoG spam) or better-than-free healing (1WoG spam while regaining mana with melee swings). Perhaps the scaling makes 1WoG not really a viable option in either case (though in the latter it costs you nothing besides the GCDs).

Does Word of Glory give you Holy Power with Tower of Radiance? I would assume it does based on the wording.

If so, ToR's most important use might be throughput healing while moving (3WoG + HS = another 3WoG, plus self-sustaining 1WoG spam) or better-than-free healing (1WoG spam while regaining mana with melee swings). Perhaps the scaling makes 1WoG not really a viable option in either case (though in the latter it costs you nothing besides the GCDs).

Word of Glory proc's Holy Power when used in conjunction with Tower of Radiance. With the change to Healing Light, Word of Glory is quite powerful now, making my earlier statements obsolete.

So, essentially, with WoG, and ToR, you could WoG the beacon target and follow it up with a HS, and be ready to WoG/HS again soon after and repeat? Depending in HS's cost, this could be some decent cheap healing, especially while moving. If so, Something like: WoG->HS->DoL->HH->WoG->HS should provide decent healing and good mobility, a welcome change of pace.

In the latest build Speed of light 'sprint' effect duration was nerfed (as expected). And a new talent was added:

Last Word (Tier 2) *New* - Gives your Word of Glory a 30/60% increased critical chance when used on targets with 35% or less health.

That should bring the crit chance to 100% for decent geared pally, I think. Together with our mastery it might be 'the' spell for oh-shit moments and will surely strengthen our niche as tank healers.

This is a nice change as well:

Protector of the Innocent is now a Tier 1 Talent. Down from Tier 2. Now Increases your healing by 1/2/3% on allies affected by Devotion Aura and increases the damage of your Retribution Aura by 20/40/60%.

While in the first place I was very happy that Protector of the Innocent is now down to tier 1 in Protection, the effect it gives was pretty much nerfed (down from +6% to +3% healing). Also, it now increases +3% healing on everyone affected by Devotion Aura (any Devotion Aura, by looking at the tooltip), so there's no problem if Prot Paladins start speccing into it. With Prot Paladin refusing to spec into it, you can consider something like 31/3/7, while if you ignore ToR as a talent that nerfs your healing outside burn phases, where 50% transfer with Beacon might not be enough, build with Ret subspec would probably look something like 31/0/10 or similar.

Not sure what is the status of ToR right now and what generates Holy Power, but given that WoG is a very viable (and free) heal, you might consider taking points off Ret tree and putting them in ToR.

While in the first place I was very happy that Protector of the Innocent is now down to tier 1 in Protection, the effect it gives was pretty much nerfed (down from +6% to +3% healing). Also, it now increases +3% healing on everyone affected by Devotion Aura (any Devotion Aura, by looking at the tooltip), so there's no problem if Prot Paladins start speccing into it. With Prot Paladin refusing to spec into it, you can consider something like 31/3/7, while if you ignore ToR as a talent that nerfs your healing outside burn phases, where 50% transfer with Beacon might not be enough, build with Ret subspec would probably look something like 31/0/10 or similar.

Not sure what is the status of ToR right now and what generates Holy Power, but given that WoG is a very viable (and free) heal, you might consider taking points off Ret tree and putting them in ToR.

With the current talents Prot is most likely to take at least two points in Protector of the Innocent given Improved Hammer of Justice likely won't be worthwhile for PVE. Protector also loses against Conviction's newly added +healing granting a possible 9% extra healing for 30 seconds after the last crit. With Divine Favor we're guaranteed at least one crit a minute translating to 50% uptime on a Conviction's baseline 3%. A build such as 33/0/8 seems to maximize our potential healing with the current setup.

PotI seems pretty lackluster if it works as it says, only increasing the player's healing by 1/2/3% and only if a person has devo aura. Ret definately seems more the way to subspec with conviction, which we'll have no problem keeping up 100% of the time. I'd suspect something like 32/0/9. I'd even doubt prot will bother with it, reduced hammer CD does have some uses in PvE.

Yeah, I'm having trouble figuring out why Holy would take the new PoI. Maybe it's meant to be attractive to Ret or Prot as a boost to JoL?

At 1% per point, I seriously doubt any Prot would take PoI over threat talents, and there's absolutely no chance Ret would take it at a loss of DPS. Maybe if it was 5% for 1 point it would be at least competitive with the utility talents in the Ret tree, but that would make it all but mandatory for Holy as well.

The only reasonable place I can see taking points from to put into PoI as a Holy Paladin would be PoJ. On live, I would much rather have 15% movement speed than 2% increased healing, given the huge negative impact movement has on our ability to heal. While addition of WoG to our toolkit will improve our mobile healing, I don't think we can really evaluate whether 2% healing or 15% runspeed (+the value of a spirit boot enchant) is best.

I really miss PoJ from the "good old days" when we were all subspeccing Ret, so I remain skeptical about the new PoI.

You guys are eating up the Last Word talent while at least one of you didn't even put any points in Tower of Radiance. I think it'll end up a mediocre talent other than leveling and maybe pvp, the second point especially if crit rates are to climb over 40%. Not that I mind really, there aren't that many utility points available right now.

They need to do something with illumination - it's a boring talent, but clearly mandatory if mana is to matter; weak for leveling due to terrible crit rates and no free heal like it was in 100% days with DF. It's just a 3 point sink that feels pretty weak at 3 points.

Imp conc is another boring talent that people who have to take it, well, will have to take it. I'm guessing the pvp crowd will go for imp HoJ and GF into prot anyway freeing up a couple of points otherwise spent in ret for the conc aura talent and get the last point from illumination I guess - at least for now that is.

The new PoI (3% more healing with Devo or a better Ret Aura) is okay for Prot (imp Hammer of Justice is a PvP talent) to get 2/3, but very weak for Ret and Holy. As Holy, you will not always use Devo aura and more Ret aura damage is not that useful.

The Holy tree is shaping up nicely, it just needs a few touch-ups. I think Illumination is fine, having a few boring talents that everyone takes is acceptable. I sorta of miss improved Lay on Hands.

If you look at the talent tooltip though, it's "increases healing done on allies affected by Devotion Aura" - here the point is - is it _any_ Devotion Aura? It doesn't say implicitly that it has to be your aura and if it works that way, you just need Prot without PoI but with Devotion Aura and your healing is being increased aswell.

If you look at the talent tooltip though, it's "increases healing done on allies affected by Devotion Aura" - here the point is - is it _any_ Devotion Aura? It doesn't say implicitly that it has to be your aura and if it works that way, you just need Prot without PoI but with Devotion Aura and your healing is being increased aswell.

I'd say the presence of the word "your" before healing and the absence before "Devotion Aura" clearly implies that any old Devotion Aura will do.

The new PoI (3% more healing with Devo or a better Ret Aura) is okay for Prot (imp Hammer of Justice is a PvP talent) to get 2/3, but very weak for Ret and Holy.

As currently worded ("increases your healing by x%..."), the talent should only improve heals cast by the paladin who has the talent, making it pretty much completely useless for Prot. Whether what they wrote what they meant is another question entirely, of course.

The current Holy paladin mastery:

Your healing spells also place an absorb shield on your target for X% of the amount healed lasting 6 sec. Absorb increased further by mastery rating.

Wow, that's quite good. I assume shields will overwrite, rather than stack in some fashion - that seems like it would be a can of worms to balance.

Wow, that's quite good. I assume shields will overwrite, rather than stack in some fashion - that seems like it would be a can of worms to balance.

It's a way to spread the absorption effect to multiple classes, and the removal of Sacred Shield also left us lacking in proactive healing available. If we're to truly become versatile at all forms of healing (raid, tank, proactive), then we need either an absorption effect or a HoT, and absorption effects were less saturated.

It's a crappy option for preventative healing, since the duration is only 6 seconds. I don't think it's intended to fill that niche. Because of the short duration, it's optimal on targets frequently taking damage - i.e., tanks.

It's a crappy option for preventative healing, since the duration is only 6 seconds. I don't think it's intended to fill that niche. Because of the short duration, it's optimal on targets frequently taking damage - i.e., tanks.

It's not going to be preventative on the level of a disc priest now, but disc priests aren't going to have a sustainable bubble spam in Cataclysm either. If this works with Healing Hands / Light of Dawn, we could apply the effect pretty quickly. The idea is that not all overhealing will be a bad thing, which works well with our Beacon of Light. In 6 seconds, we could cover an entire party with bubbles, which is still pretty valuable. The percentage size of the bubble is going to decide what situations we can effectively use this.

There's an AoE coming up in 5 seconds. You're going to use your HH/Cone heal before the AoE to place a shield that only heals for a fraction of the spell, rather than hold HH/Cone until after the AoE goes off? That's not a good plan.

Data from mmo-champ:

Holy - Your healing spells also place an absorb shield on your target for 8% of the amount healed lasting 6 sec. Absorb increased further by mastery rating.

8% isn't that much, though in the situation when tank is heavily beaten it is equivalent to 8%+ extra healing. /shrug

On a second thought we don't know how it is scaling with mastery rating. It might be not that bad in actual raiding gear.

However in some encounters such as Festergut/BQL (just exemples) where there is a raid damaging aura, this kind of boost is pretty interesting.

Combined with the druid mastery, I can't see a raid being endangered by this anymore if the healers are not retarded.