Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quiddity

[Elemental] Cataclysm changes collected (updated: 10/08/22)

122 posts in this topic

There does not appear to be an ICD right now, although that is obviously subject to change. The fact it stacks up to nine (9) seems like an ICD would make it less appealing since its already once every two (2) or three (3) LvB's anyway. Although I guess its an instant so maybe its a useful filler regardless. If our damage is going to be scaled based on usage of this, it seems like they should avoid the ICD, but that's just my opinion.

8/22 03:13:28.812 SPELL_DAMAGE,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,0xF13079A8000063D5,"Northrender's Training Dummy",0x10a28,403,"Lightning Bolt",0x8,9322,9321,8,0,0,0,1,nil,nil^M
8/22 03:13:28.896 SPELL_AURA_REFRESH,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,324,"Lightning Shield",0x8,BUFF^M
8/22 03:13:29.279 SPELL_ENERGIZE,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,88765,"Rolling Thunder",0x1,322,0^M
8/22 03:13:30.513 SPELL_DAMAGE,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,0xF13079A8000063D5,"Northrender's Training Dummy",0x10a28,403,"Lightning Bolt",0x8,4409,4408,8,0,0,0,nil,nil,nil^M
8/22 03:13:30.513 SPELL_AURA_REFRESH,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,324,"Lightning Shield",0x8,BUFF^M
8/22 03:13:30.948 SPELL_ENERGIZE,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,88765,"Rolling Thunder",0x1,322,0
[/code]
[code]
8/22 03:14:00.645 SPELL_DAMAGE,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,0xF13079A8000063D5,"Northrender's Training Dummy",0x10a28,403,"Lightning Bolt",0x8,4466,4465,8,0,0,0,nil,nil,nil^M
8/22 03:14:00.645 SPELL_AURA_REFRESH,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,324,"Lightning Shield",0x8,BUFF^M
8/22 03:14:00.895 SPELL_ENERGIZE,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,88765,"Rolling Thunder",0x1,321,0^M
8/22 03:14:02.280 SPELL_DAMAGE,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,0xF13079A8000063D5,"Northrender's Training Dummy",0x10a28,403,"Lightning Bolt",0x8,4467,4466,8,0,0,0,nil,nil,nil^M
8/22 03:14:02.680 SPELL_AURA_REFRESH,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,324,"Lightning Shield",0x8,BUFF^M
8/22 03:14:03.080 SPELL_ENERGIZE,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,0x01000000001258A9,"Phyltr",0x511,88765,"Rolling Thunder",0x1,321,0

Correct me if I am mistaken, but do we have the ability to earth shock at 35 yds? I beleive the talent that lengthens shocks applies only to flame shock thus effectively making us 20yd casters again.

Well...25yd, but the point remains. Everything else is on a 40yd range, ES is at 25yd. It wouldn't be hard to include it into the range extending talent that FS gets. I'll speculate that its an oversight and that it'll get fixed, that is unless this is part of Blizzard's plan for us, but that seems unlikely.

[edit] Unleash Elements is also a 30y range, so if we end up using that to buff out LvB's, that hurts our range too.

If you use Chain Lightning to hit several targets, each hit has its own chance to proc the LS orb. So CL hitting 3 targets can presently give you 3 orbs immediately. There's also no ICD between orb gains, which means that in theory it wouldn't be entirely impossible to quickly get more than 3 charges in PvP - it just wouldn't be very likely.

In around 30 LB overloads I didn't get a single LS orb or mana return proc (they're linked, so you always get both at once), which suggests that Overloads probably don't proc Rolling Thunder. However I did do a Lightning Shield -> Lightning Bolt -> Chain Lightning (3 targets) combo on the dummies which left me at 8 charges of Lightning Shield, which suggests that it's possible that overloads might proc it (unfortunately I wasn't logging at the time and wasn't thinking clearly enough to check through the in-game combat log before I quit). Regardless LB -> CL -> instant LB from EM can generate sufficient charges quickly if unreliably.

[e] Shock range has already been addressed in internal builds: source.

Elemental Reach affects all shocks. (Elemental only).

[...]

Yes, we have made further changes to the tree since the build that you have available now. They are predominantly talent changes and not gameplay changes. Earth Shock was the big one.

The following was a blue post regarding build 12803

Totemic Reach increases the range of Searing Totem. (Tier 2 Enhance, so available to all shaman.)

Source Same as Zamir's

Note we can only take Totemic Reach if we spend the minimum amount of points in Elemental (34, not 31) which means forgoing 1% crit or 5% mana reduc on all spells in addition to skipping Ancestral Swiftness. If we cannot take Totemic Reach then is there any point in taking Elemental Reach? If we can skip TR and ER, then we get 1 point of filler in the Elemental tree which is 1 more than we currently have.

Totemic Reach increases Searing's range by only 6 yards, from 20 to 26. That's not much of a gain, and it's pretty unattractive compared to our other options. Totemic Reach in general is a pretty unattractive talent, and a better solution four Elemental's specific issues would be to increase Searing's range to 30 yards by default and not take the talent.

If totemic reach becomes attractive again (i.e. massively boosted and the only way to gain 35 yd searing) would it be worth dropping 2 points of earth storm and fire? A 32/9/0 looks workable, if not a bit gimped on AoE but I'm still uncertain of how much 40% of FS is terms of overall dps.

Well...25yd, but the point remains. Everything else is on a 40yd range, ES is at 25yd. It wouldn't be hard to include it into the range extending talent that FS gets. I'll speculate that its an oversight and that it'll get fixed, that is unless this is part of Blizzard's plan for us, but that seems unlikely.

[edit] Unleash Elements is also a 30y range, so if we end up using that to buff out LvB's, that hurts our range too.

Elemental Reach affects all shocks now, and I believe there was a blue post about extending range of UE via some elemental talent.

For our priority it would be interesting how many charges LS needs for earth shock to take precedence to casting lvb because at say 7 charges of LS ES does higher damage than lvb. In a scenario where the 6th LS orb just procced and we know that the 7th can not proc until ICD is over we would cast lvb and wait for the 7th LS orb to proc.

I think the key thing to remember is that you only generate LS Orbs from LB/CL and they don't discharge. So, there's no hard locked reason to cast ES before LvB at all really - well, baring unforeseen burst considerations - because they're just going to sit there being good to go 1.5 seconds later and LvB can't generate any to "waste". In that sense, Fulmination is not a hard proc like MW for Enhancement simply because it's tied to an ability of choice, not AA.

The more interesting question to me is the possible consideration of "what, if any, situation do you cast ES in place of FlS even if that means FlS falls off". Primarily because you want to keep building stacks of LS Orbs to consume and, if LvB is a) off cooldown and b) there's ~just enough time to get it off before the current FlS ends, then it could be possible getting your LvB off and sacrificing 5.5 seconds of FlS to discharge a full stack ES might be an overall DPS increase given how hard the ability appears to hit at a full stack. But at the same time, assuming a 1.5 second GCD, FlS -> LvB -> LB runs 4.5 seconds before latency does it's magic and with a 5.5 second Reverb build means you're likely only risking the loss of one LB Orb charge to keep the possibility of Lava Surge alive...

I think the key thing to remember is that you only generate LS Orbs from LB/CL and they don't discharge. So, there's no hard locked reason to cast ES before LvB at all really - well, baring unforeseen burst considerations - because they're just going to sit there being good to go 1.5 seconds later and LvB can't generate any to "waste". In that sense, Fulmination is not a hard proc like MW for Enhancement simply because it's tied to an ability of choice, not AA.

It seems that if the choice is LvB or ES/F, it seems you'd want to hit LvB first to start the CD and to refresh FS. As you mentioned, since RT is tied to LB/CL its not like you would have gotten a new orb off of the LvB anyway. However, based on the testing, it is our highest damage move (beta, subject to change, blah blah) so we won't want to sit on LSx9 for long at all.

Adding yet another move into our mix potentially has the result of bringing crit more in-line with our other stats, possibly accomplishing what Blizzard mentioned regarding not wanting any stat to be essentially garbage for any class/spec.

Also, I'm seeing Lava Surge proc about once every 14.5 seconds or so. Obviously its RNG so you can get big strings and then nothing for, what seems like, forever. Is this about in-line with what everyone else is seeing?

Didn't they do an overhaul to dots so that by applying a new one you extend the duration of the previous? I am fairly sure that was part of the overhaul. At any rate, doesn't that also give us the option of spamming FS till our first RT 9 stack so we can avoid the clashing cds? I can't find the post and I may be mistaken but I remember that announcement from a blue at the beginning of cata testing.

I suspect that in practice when RT/ES gets cast will be so fight dependent as to not ever fit into a nifty priority stack. How many stacks do I have? When am I next going to move? Is FS going to drop in the next 6/5s? Do I care if FS drops for a second because LvB is on cooldown anyway?

Do we know if multiple FS DoTs have multiple chances to reset LvB's CD?

Also, can't we safely assume that we will have a full 9 stack of LS orbs going into the boss pull from trash or whatnot? Given that, is reverb (or whatever the talent is that cuts shock cooldown by 1s is.) worth a look? Will it be worth a look if Cat has any multitarget boss fights where many FS are desirable and CL stacks the LS orbs faster?

Didn't they do an overhaul to dots so that by applying a new one you extend the duration of the previous? I am fairly sure that was part of the overhaul. At any rate, doesn't that also give us the option of spamming FS till our first RT 9 stack so we can avoid the clashing cds? I can't find the post and I may be mistaken but I remember that announcement from a blue at the beginning of cata testing.

They only did the extension to allow refreshing of dots to not change the time between ticks. So if the next tick of FS was supposed to happen in .8 seconds and you cast FS, the next tick will still happen in .8 seconds. The side product of that change was that a refresh of a dot will have a single extra tick. Ignoring haste in the above situation, the FS refresh would tick in .8 seconds, and then every 3 seconds for 6 ticks, making the length 18.8 seconds and giving it 7 ticks, regardless of how many ticks were left on the FS dot that was previously on the boss.

which is actually a great change for elemental. FS will either still be up long enough to safely LvB, or you can just refresh it right before LvB without actually losing a tic. (I.e., if FS dot timer is > 1 tic, LB/UE then LvB, if it's < 1 tic, cast FS, then LvB)

It seems that if the choice is LvB or ES/F, it seems you'd want to hit LvB first to start the CD and to refresh FS. As you mentioned, since RT is tied to LB/CL its not like you would have gotten a new orb off of the LvB anyway. However, based on the testing, it is our highest damage move (beta, subject to change, blah blah) so we won't want to sit on LSx9 for long at all.

Preface: I'm not on Beta.

Does elemental overload generate 2 stacks of lighting shield? If it does, then can ES/F be cast right after the last lighting bolt (the one that would stack you to 9 charges) to hit before the elemental overload "extra" hits. That would be a "free" orb stack and would suggest that ES/F would potentially take priority over LvB.

Preface: I'm not on Beta.

Does elemental overload generate 2 stacks of lighting shield? If it does, then can ES/F be cast right after the last lighting bolt (the one that would stack you to 9 charges) to hit before the elemental overload "extra" hits. That would be a "free" orb stack and would suggest that ES/F would potentially take priority over LvB.

Nope. An elemental overloaded lightning bolt/chain lightning is incapable of generating a lightning shield stack or giving you mana from rolling thunder, as the mana and lightning shield orb are the same proc. Earth shock hits a little softer now that lightning shield glyph has been changed. You used to be able to glyph lightning shield for 20% extra damage per orb

On a side note, I posted a full list of shaman glyphs over at MMO-Champ Collection Of Current Shaman Cata Glyphs

Most of the new glyph changes made it to the front page of MMO-Champ, but some didn't (flame shock, riptide, chain lightning). Flame shock is now +50% duration, chain lightning hits 2 extra targets but deals 10% less initial damage.

Blizzard has also stated they want to control the amount of haste people get and, with the glyph of shocking being a major glyph (the current DPS glyphs are now prime glyphs for the most part), glyph of shocking may be a surprise contender for a major glyph slot given our increased use of shocks in general as well. It's still the same as it is on live (shocks are 1 second GCD), but if Blizzard truly does want to drive the amounts of haste down really far and avoid having them get to where they are, it may be a valuable glyph.

So, looking over the new glyphs, it seems we have 4 real options for maximizing damage potential in the prime category;

Fire Elemental Totem - Reduces the cooldown of your Fire Elemental Totem by 5 minutes.

Glyph of Flame Shock - Increases the duration of your Flame Shock by 50%.

Lava Burst - Your Lava Burst spell deals 10% more damage.

Lightning Bolt - Increases the damage dealt by Lightning Bolt by 4%.

With RT/F taking up some of the old LB time, I wonder if we will be able to drop LB for Fire Ele on 6 minute fights or if some weird concession over FlS will have to be made instead. Also it looks we might be pidgeon-holed into Glyph of Shocking and Ghostwolf leaving us only one play style choice glyph for Majors. Hopefully they step off the crazy obsession with movement fights this expansion /crosses fingers.

From my post on the enhancement thread:

Prime

* Earth Shield - Increases the healing of your Earth Shield by 20%.

* Earthliving Weapon - Increases the effectiveness of your Earthliving Weapon's periodic healing by 20%.

* Feral Spirit - Your spirit wolves gain an additional 30% of your attack power.

* Fire Elemental Totem - Reduces the cooldown of your Fire Elemental Totem by 5 minutes.

* Glyph of Flame Shock - Increases the duration of your Flame Shock by 50%.

* Flametongue Weapon - Increases spell critical strike chance by 2% while Flametongue Weapon is active.

* Lava Burst - Your Lava Burst spell deals 10% more damage.

* Lava Lash - Increases the damage dealt by your Lava Lash ability by 20%.

* Lightning Bolt - Increases the damage dealt by Lightning Bolt by 4%.

* Riptide - Increases the duration of Riptide by 40%.

* Stormstrike - Increases the Nature damage bonus from your Stormstrike ability by an additional 8%.

* Water Shield - Increases the passive mana regeneration of your Water Shield spell by 50%.

* Windfury Weapon - Increases the chance per swing for Windfury Weapon to trigger by 2%.

Major

* Chain Heal - Increases healing done by your Chain Heal spell to targets beyond the first by 15%, but decreases the amount received by the initial target by 10%.

* Chain Lightning - Your Chain Lightning spell now strikes 2 additional targets, but deals 10% less initial damage.

* Elemental Mastery - While your Elemental Mastery ability is active, you take 20% less damage from all sources.

* Fire Nova - Increases the radius of your Fire Nova spell by 5 yards.

* Frost Shock - Increases the duration of your Frost Shock by 2 seconds.

* Ghost Wolf - Your Ghost Wolf spell form grants an additional 10% movement speed.

* Grounding Totem - When your Grounding Totem absorbs a spell, it attempts to reflect that spell on its caster, but the cooldown of your Grounding Totem is increased by 45 seconds.

* Healing Stream Totem - Your Healing Stream Totem also increases the Fire, Frost, and Nature resistance of party and raid members within 30 yards by 130.

* Healing Wave - Your Healing Wave also heals you for 20% of the healing effect when you heal someone else.

* Hex - Reduces the cooldown of your Hex spell by 15 seconds.

* Lightning Shield - Your Lightning Shield can no longer drop below 3 charges from dealing damage to attackers.

* Shamanistic Rage - Activating your Shamanistic Rage ability also cleanses you of all dispellable Magic debuffs.

* Shocking - Reduces the global cooldown triggered by your Shock spells to 1 second.

* Stoneclaw Totem - Your Stoneclaw Totem also places a damage absorb shield on you, equal to 4 times the strength of the shield it places on your totems.

* Thunder - Reduces the cooldown on Thunderstorm by 10 seconds.

* Totemic Recall - Causes your Totemic Recall ability to return an additional 50% of the mana cost of any recalled totems.

Minor

* Arctic Wolf - Alters the appearance of your Ghost Wolf transformation, causing it to resemble an arctic wolf.

* Astral Recall - Cooldown of your Astral Recall spell reduced by 7.5 minutes.

* Renewed Life - Your Reincarnation spell no longer requires a reagent.

* Thunderstorm - Increases the mana you receive from your Thunderstorm spell by 2%, but it no longer knocks enemies back.

* Water Breathing - Your Water Breathing spell no longer requires a reagent.

* Water Walking - Your Water Walking spell no longer requires a reagent.

Source: Cataclysm Beta: Build 12857 Introduces New Glyph UI - World of Raids Forums

hi

in case no one else has posted this already: these are the current rating conversions at (beta) lvl 85:

1% crit = 179,5 rating

1% haste =127,5 rating

1% hit = 102rating or spirit

(Hit caps @ lvl 85 following ingame Theorycraft-window)

lvl 85 : 3% miss without any hit rating

lvl 86 : 4%

lvl 87 : 5%

lvl 88 (bosslvl): 16% miss

(all values as a draenei with 1% hit-aura)

1Mastery point equals 212,5 rating but gives 2% additional chance to overload, meaning 106,25rating should give 1% add. chance to overload.

1 int = 1 Spellpower = 15 mana

as usual base intellect also gives spellpower accounting for (draenei) 129 out of 139 int

so we have like 129 "base" spellpower

Naked HP: 38397

Naked Mana: 25235

Base Spellcost (without Convection)

Lightning Bolt : 1405 Mana

Lava Burst: 2343 Mana

Wind Shear : 1874 Mana

Flame Shock : 3983 Mana

Frost Shock : 4217 Mana

Earth Shock : 4217 Mana

Chain Lightning : 6091 Mana

Unleash Elements : 1640 Mana

Earthquake : 20149 Mana (lol)

Hex : 702 Mana

Fire Nova : 5154 Mana

Ghost Wolf : 1405 Mana

and so on (we have quite a lot of spells)

Keep in mind: all values are based on a naked unglyphed Draenei @ lvl 85 in the current Beta build.(12857)

The spell costs you quote, combined with the cost scaling known from Wowhead, indicate that your base mana is exactly 23430. Your naked mana is then 23430 + 20 + 15 * (Intellect - 20) = 25235.

Casey, that is correct. My mana in Deepholm gear (no enchants) is currently 50k (about 45k in ICC25 gear, fully enchanted and gemmed). Note that this is still two levels under top leveling gear, so we can expect 75-100k mana at entry level raids.

I wouldn't place too much emphasis on numbers right now, as Blizzard clearly didn't start balancing yet. However, at this moment, I'm not really sure what to think. Lightning Bolt is our cheapest and main spammable spell as well as our primary mana regeneration. Since Rolling Thunder is proc based, emphasising haste seems to be the way to go. Lava Surge feels a bit wierd here, since more Lava Bursts means less Lightning Bolts and thus lower mana regen. To make it even worse, both our hardest hitting spells (Lava Burst and Fulmination) require shock use, which can quickly prove to be a major mana drain. Still, by far the biggest issue here is unpredictability of Rolling Thunder, as you can either be flooded in mana or completely drained all the time. I'm not sure mana return RNG is such a good idea.

I do have to commend Blizzard on one thing, though: glyphs. Primal are given for each spec, Minor are unimportant, but Major really make a difference and you're encouraged to swap them according to the needs of the fight. It feels kinda cool to have different mechanics in different situations using the same spells, it adds that little oomph to dynamic gameplay.

Could be a bug, but in the latest version of the talent calculator on wowhead "Shamanism" reduces the casting time of LvB by 0,5s again.

So, I transfered my shaman to the PTR and I do not know if there is the talented transfer bug again or what. Long of the short of it, I have .76 cast speed lavaburst and 1.15 lightningbolts with only 1016 haste and no additional buffs. Can anyone confirm if it's a shamanism double dipping glitch or intended?

Also on a side note, does anyone know off hand if elemental is getting a proc effect for lavasurge and fulmination 9 stacks with the built-in blizzard UI power auras?

Edit: added exact cast value times and haste value

Edit#2: After some testing on ptr I found a couple of useful things

1. Fulmination only gives back mana if Lightning Shield is active. This occurs whether or not you have room for the orb.

2. Fulmination procs on Lightning Bolt landing as opposed to casts, meaning you can chain fire LB and when you hit the 9th proc, finish casting you LB and ES behind it without fear of wasting a charge(assuming you are not in direct melee)

As far as I know the only built-in power aura for shaman is MSWx5, so nothing for Eles atm.

And there's a known bug in the beta, that live talents affect your character in beta, could be the same with PTR in regard to your casting times.