Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cochice

[Enhancement] Cataclysm Beta Changes (updated 11/4/10)

348 posts in this topic

Just to clarify, the scaling issue was simply real time tooltip changes based on glyphs, talents and set bonuses.

After pounding away on the test dummies for a while, Caster/Melee combos are clearly starting to come in ahead of Melee/Melee combination's with enough mastery rating. Fortunately, Ghostcrawler posted a small update about the issue:

We'll make sure Enhancement doesn't want to use caster weapons. That's not the sort of thing we are likely to just sit back and let happen.

Well, I can't add to the discussion, because it is happening in the US boards again, instead of the Beta boards.

But I see all your solutions except one simple one: How about switching Lava Lash to the main-hand? It already feels wrong that our strongest strike comes from our off-hand and as you can't equip caster weapons in your off-hand, it would solve that problem once and for all.

Well, I can't add to the discussion, because it is happening in the US boards again, instead of the Beta boards.

But I see all your solutions except one simple one: How about switching Lava Lash to the main-hand? It already feels wrong that our strongest strike comes from our off-hand and as you can't equip caster weapons in your off-hand, it would solve that problem once and for all.

What about flametongue if lava lash was a mainhand attack? Simplest is really to just to make physical damage matter more, how they accomplish that though is the reason for all the debate.

While I do agree that something should be done, putting our strongest attack on the main hand weapon alone with flametounge would only encourage the community to switch back to using 2her's which Blizzard has stated many times they don't want us doing that. I feel a shortening in 1 or 2 C/Ds with their damage would be more in line with what needs to be done with the gaps and dps.

There is a easy and simple solution to the 2h problem, remove our abilitiy to wear them! It is a more or less useless relic of old times. Currently no sane Shaman uses a 2h melee weapon. The only use of the skill is to show off your Sulfuras in the cities.

There is a easy and simple solution to the 2h problem, remove our abilitiy to wear them! It is a more or less useless relic of old times. Currently no sane Shaman uses a 2h melee weapon. The only use of the skill is to show off your Sulfuras in the cities.

Problem being there are a lot of shaman who spent a lot of time getting those Sulfuras and it's not fair to suddenly remove their option to wear them, even if it is just to show off while standing by the bank in Org.

What about flametongue if lava lash was a mainhand attack? Simplest is really to just to make physical damage matter more, how they accomplish that though is the reason for all the debate.

Well, as little sense as it may make, it could simply gain the bonus damage if the offhand is imbued with flametongue. Would there be any negative consequences in nerfing (halving, perhaps) the damage done by caster weapons? Caster weapons are stat sticks; they don't need to have a higher damage range than 1-5, do they (that would be an awesome way to fix totem stomping as well.. >.<)? I know that's a pretty ridiculous change just to deter one spec from using them, but if Blizzard still hasn't come out with an end-all fix, there's got to be something holding them back.

The caster mainhand on the raiding pre-made is something like 53dps with a damage range 2-246 so they pretty much already pulled all the dps off the caster weapons.

that would be an awesome way to fix totem stomping as well
Blizzard posters have clearly said that manually targeting a totem and hitting it, either with a wand or caster weapon, is enough of an opportunity cost that it's the intended design. What they don't want is someone making a macro that will command a pet to automatically kill all important totems with no thought and no cost. The penalty we pay for having flexible buffs is we have vulnerable buffs.

Stormstrike tooltip says to be doing 181% weapon damage now, and 33% extra crit chance. Haven't read about this on this forum yet. In case I missed it, ignore/remove this post pls. (this might affect spellpriority aswell)

Stormstrike tooltip says to be doing 181% weapon damage now, and 33% extra crit chance. Haven't read about this on this forum yet. In case I missed it, ignore/remove this post pls. (this might affect spellpriority aswell)

Stormstrike is 125% weapon damage. Focused Strikes is an additional 45% damage. Put them together 125 x 145 = 181%.

Ok, I'm gonna ask a potentially massively stupid question, but what the hell it's Turkey week. Exactly where are you seeing the tooltip showing the 181% weapon damage? Looking at my tooltips from my spell book and my action bars it just shows the same tooltip as the talent tree. Which is just a generic tooltip with no statement of the actual damage Stromstrike does. Are you seeing this in the combat log? Or is this some option I have enabled that is hiding this information?

Ok, I'm gonna ask a potentially massively stupid question, but what the hell it's Turkey week. Exactly where are you seeing the tooltip showing the 181% weapon damage? Looking at my tooltips from my spell book and my action bars it just shows the same tooltip as the talent tree. Which is just a generic tooltip with no statement of the actual damage Stromstrike does. Are you seeing this in the combat log? Or is this some option I have enabled that is hiding this information?

You probably have 'Beginner Tooltips' enabled in the interface options, it's found under help :)

"Ritual of Doom is now Summon Doomguard - Summons a Doomguard to fight beside you for 45 sec. The Doomguard will assist you by attacking the target which is afflicted by your Bane of Doom or Bane of Agony spell, and will sometimes dispel harmful magic effects from you. / 80% of base mana, Instant cast, 10 min cooldown, Reagents: Demonic Figurine"

Though you can't see the spell link in that cut n paste from MMO-Champion's change list, the Doomguard and Infernal are now classified as Guardians, meaning they can be out with the Warlock's pet similar to how a DK's Gargoyle functions (though i'm not sure if a Garg is a guardian or not). The part about this that makes it relevant to Enhancement is the line there how these guardians focus target whoever has a Bane spell on them, since they cannot be directly controlled, or so it reads to me.

If this works that could be something to help solve the Searing Totem AI problem if they applied the same targetting mechanic to it, so that it targets whatever has Stormstrike on them or something along those lines.

Sorry if I missed an update on this but it seems it will definitely target anything with an active shock on it, not sure how it picks its order tho. I spent a while cleaning up my quest log yesterday and was frost shocking stuff in EPL at range then dropping the totem off near them to finish 'em off.

If you throw a flame shock/earth shock at something as you run in THEN drop it will definitely target as you intend.

The changes to the meta requirements for the crit-damage meta stones will be reverted, most likely with a hotfix that changes the requirements with the next realm restarts.

DPS Meta Gem Change...Change it Back - Forums - World of Warcraft

They will either change the requirements for the level 85 metas the same way, or change the current ones back once cata hits. Though it's probably a general change, because just changing it back for 2 weeks (1 week if the change needs until next maintenance) wouldn't be worth it. If the level 85 meta stones really get the old requirements then gemming most likely stay with almost all agility gems.

Except that the blue post says that it can't be hotfixed and has to wait for a patch. Also says that they reconsidered the design for all metas that now require more blue then red and are reverting them to their previous requirements.

When quoting something, read it first before commenting.

Sorry if I missed an update on this but it seems it will definitely target anything with an active shock on it, not sure how it picks its order tho. I spent a while cleaning up my quest log yesterday and was frost shocking stuff in EPL at range then dropping the totem off near them to finish 'em off.

If you throw a flame shock/earth shock at something as you run in THEN drop it will definitely target as you intend

This is definatly the case. Played around in icc last night and verified above. As long as there is a shock already up on the target then it would always pick up the targeting. i guess the best thing to do when starting an encounter is as you close the distance fs as soon as your in range, hop back in GW till you get to mele then as you geto into mele range drop totems and start the rotation.

Except that the blue post says that it can't be hotfixed and has to wait for a patch. Also says that they reconsidered the design for all metas that now require more blue then red and are reverting them to their previous requirements.

When quoting something, read it first before commenting.

That's what I meant to say, things like that usually get "hotfixed" during the time servers are up and running and gets loaded into the cache once the realm restarts. That means if they actually implement it now and your current realm gets restarted for whatever reason, then it's active, I remember changes like that during world events.

Anyway baseline is we most likely won't get it before the next restarts (if the change is in by then).

That's what I meant to say, things like that usually get "hotfixed" during the time servers are up and running and gets loaded into the cache once the realm restarts. That means if they actually implement it now and your current realm gets restarted for whatever reason, then it's active, I remember changes like that during world events.

Anyway baseline is we most likely won't get it before the next restarts (if the change is in by then).

No, a patch in this case is exactly what it sounds like. In order to alter the tooltip, a client-side patch is required. If the functionality of the meta were to mismatch the tooltip then it would become very confusing for most players.

Which actually makes me wonder. Wasn't one of the advantages of the new patcher/downloader system, that they could apply such tooltip changes much faster even without a patch?

I just hope we see that change before or with the Cataclysm release, I want a working Meta while leveling. :(

Was anyone able to obtain a Darkmoon Card Hurricane and test its proc on Enhancement before beta closed? The only information I could find using the search function here is a post from early October from a warrior stating some "prelim testing" that apparently showed it having no ICD. Some more solid background on it would be helpful if anyone knows anything (mastery effecting it, etc).

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1444/dmch.jpg

Here's a screenshot from live showing a much higher damage range than the base 3750 to 6250, damage values multiplied by the amount of benefit I gain from mastery. Unless the tooltip is incorrect, it's probably safe to say that mastery does affect the proc. I have personally tested and seen that nearly every other readily available elemental damage proc receives benefit - Icebreaker, Fiery Weapon and Darkmoon Card: Maelstrom.

I have no solid information on the proc behavior, but what little I've been able to find suggests that it follows basic PPM rules, with a one proc per minute rate and no internal cooldown.