Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elendril

Guild Banks in TBC

55 posts in this topic

What is the accepted 'best' class for being an herb farmer? Hunters?

Pretty much. Being able to get to an herb without killing any mobs saves quite a bit of time. Zoom in on an epic flyer, sic your pet on one mob, trap another, pick the herb, dismiss pet, feign death, mount, and you're gone

As a hunter who just picked up Herbalism, it's sort of annoying that Find Herbs takes the place of any of your normal tracking abilities, but that's just me bitching.

As a couple people said earlier, Soul Essence isn't a huge moneymaker, but it's certainly possible to have one person to funnel all the non-boss drops to in KZ and pick up a few gold anyway. I know we've been pretty set on having people bring their own pots and riding off of the pre-TBC bank funds/having generous herbalists for flask mats. If you run DKP, bonuses for mats is certainly a quick and easy option.

As a hunter who just picked up Herbalism, it's sort of annoying that Find Herbs takes the place of any of your normal tracking abilities, but that's just me bitching.

As a couple people said earlier, Soul Essence isn't a huge moneymaker, but it's certainly possible to have one person to funnel all the non-boss drops to in KZ and pick up a few gold anyway. I know we've been pretty set on having people bring their own pots and riding off of the pre-TBC bank funds/having generous herbalists for flask mats. If you run DKP, bonuses for mats is certainly a quick and easy option.

not asked for, but an invaluable tool for all hunters and trackers:

http://fizzwidget.com/2007/01/15/gfw-trackmenu-2-0-1/

cons: I can't move the minimap tracking button at all, but I just kind of got used to it :-(

I hope enchantments which require Void Crystals will help raiders make some more gold, but I see the market for these declining somewhat quickly. The caveat is that non-raiders will have easier access to them via Heroics than they did to Nexus Crystals in the Old World. The market will mostly be limited to PvPers and non-enchanters who either haven't sharded any heroic drops lately, or don't win the Crystals.

Besides, the guild bank needs to keep some for your own members. By the time you are all glowing, that market decline may already be in progress.

Next suggestion.... ?

As many others have said, karazhan is where your guild bank will earn its money. The primals manas out of there sell for 20+ gold on my server. I'm usually able to loot 4-8 of these on attunesmen - curator nights, then a few more than that on aran-prince. That's about 300g from primal manas. The greens I pick up and DE since arcane dust sells for 30g a stack. Also, netherweave makes a large amount of cash. Just last week I picked up about 10 stacks on the first night. All of which sell for 6 to 7g a stack. Add all of this up and double it with a second group running. A guild bank should be able to yield about 1000g a week*.

*- on my server. May vary for others.

You could also make the argument the group could collect and split the profits among themselves to make people a bit more self sufficient. Realistically a guild bank doesn't matter a ton, if people can provide their own consumables and fund their repairs. Nothing else really matters. There are no non BOP recipes which are very key to have, there are no spells that not everyone can get, and there is very seldom if ever upgrades to pass on to others (mostly due to the lack of BOE items, and well, once its soulbound, it isn't going anywhere anyway.)

Guildbanks mattered and made sense in EQ, I mean my guild sold KEI scrolls and other valuable, rare spells and made a lot of cash, but usually it was other guilds buying from us without the same accessability. That doesn't exist here really, there is little exclusivity, or rather there is nothing to obtain from those places that you could give anyone else anyway. There was also like res sticks we bought, which was rare. Again, this sort of thing doesn't really exist here.

You could also make the argument the group could collect and split the profits among themselves to make people a bit more self sufficient. Realistically a guild bank doesn't matter a ton, if people can provide their own consumables and fund their repairs.

I thought that too at first -- it seemed silly to send every drop to the guild bank in Kara since we never did it in ZG or AQ20, just running on group loot with everyone rolling. However, it's not realistic to expect your tanks to be providing their consumables, especially if they are chain chuggling Ironshields, using lots of elixirs, and so on. Ancient Lichen and the such is quite expensive on most servers.

Also if you dont have a flask recipe in guild (such as fortification, but could be others too), you're really screwed and have to be buying those off the AH too.

Also if you dont have a flask recipe in guild (such as fortification, but could be others too), you're really screwed and have to be buying those off the AH too.

Embrace the MMO part of WoW and have relations with other guilds, your access to things such as enchants or flasks becomes significantly better at this point, you can even trade "we'll craft <x> flask for free for you all, if you create <y> flask for us for free" etc.

Some people might even have personal friends outside the guild and can pull free crafted flasks that way.

I thought that too at first -- it seemed silly to send every drop to the guild bank in Kara since we never did it in ZG or AQ20, just running on group loot with everyone rolling. However, it's not realistic to expect your tanks to be providing their consumables, especially if they are chain chuggling Ironshields, using lots of elixirs, and so on. Ancient Lichen and the such is quite expensive on most servers.

I do it, we don't have a Fortification in guild yet, I have someone out of guild make them for me. While I am not the most efficient Lichen farmer its not that bad - I logout outside of Slave Pens, login for 5-6 minutes, pick 5 times and log back off and do some other stuff. I have someone who sells me primal earth at a noteably cheaper price and right now I have more earth then I will probably use in Ironshields for the next month or so. Of course, thats a matter of finding a supplier but most people will take guaranteed money over potential money. You also need to pick when its relevant to consumable. For example, for the first 3-4 minutes on Gruul he hits for nothing, its not really worth it to use Ironshields then, its not like your healers are even really using mana that early in the fight, so realistically you are probably only using 1-2 on a win. I don't pot on any Karazhan fight besides Nightbane and due to the nerfs, I'll likely use less Ironshields in a week than I have in the past fighting him. I don't have the luxury of a potion master with Ironshield yet in the guild either, just really unlucky drop rates so I can't even count on duplicates. Its just not that bad.

I was fairly annoyed with the consumables but honestly, Terocone for defense is almost as common as Dreaming Glory is, Lichen isn't that bad to get (sometimes I might say, trade a rogue in my guild Terocone for Lichen since they can farm a much larger quantity than I can), Primal Earth is going to be relatively cheap due to mining, and again, even if you can only farm 5 nodes per hour like me, lots of other classes can get a good bit more with other tricks - priests actually herb decently with mind soothe, rogues, hunters, druids, even mages can to a degree. The mana thistle is across the board semi annoying for everyone, but 10 mana thistle isn't that much.

Especially as a MT you should have herbalism, you can't solo for shit anyway, you might as well farm up pots mats or other sellable herbs. The demand for other herbs won't be going down any time soon either, and a stack of pretty much anything sells rather nicely.

Besides, you can always apply the logic that if the MT can farm their own pots, then you really don't have an excuse to not have your Relentless Assaults and Restoration flasks, either of those is definately cheaper/less of a hassle to make.

Our guild bank has grown very well over the course of the last month and a half due to inventory problems a lot of people are having. We get tons of netherweave, enchanting mats, herbs and ores because people want to clear out their inventory. The enchanting mats are then sent to the enchanters so our gear is always enchanted for free; most consumables are provided because the amount of herbs sent in plus having an elixir alchemist (amazing tbqh ;] ).

I must dissent from what appears to be the majority in the idea of looting all the bosses gold for the sake of the bank. It's nice to have a fun karazhan raid and come back with a net of 15g for a night. It's not much, but it covers repairs and then due to the above the enchant's are done for free as well.

If you're really hard up for cash and the idea of just having everyone actually farm, you can always sell 5v5 arena slots if you have a team with a 1800+ rating. Kara chess loot as well can be sold. Can probably sell Maulgar/Gruul loot as well.

If you're really hard up for cash and the idea of just having everyone actually farm, you can always sell 5v5 arena slots if you have a team with a 1800+ rating. Kara chess loot as well can be sold. Can probably sell Maulgar/Gruul loot as well.

Yeah really any arena slot with a good ranking can be sold, even if its 2v2 or 3v3. I don't know about selling Gruul loot though; 1 clueless person can easily wipe the raid. Maulgar is a bit more forgiving so that's a possibility. We're at the point where every chess loot is going to be sold, we've even posted our rough prices on our realm forum. Hopefully this week we get a couple sales from it.

If I was trying to sell Gruul loot I'd probably just have the buyer stand in the hallway outside of Gruul's room and kill the mob with 24 people.

There's a clear lack of high level greens that nuke to Large Prismatic Shards (like BWL greens used to sometimes nuke to large brilliants). I now posses 500+ dust and essences but something like 2 shards, from 4 weeks of double-teaming Karazhan. I've always liked to had out free enchanting mats to raiders but now i have to tell them to go find their own prismatics.

as for consumables cash, i'm guessing that the "uberguilds" clearing current content with gay abandon are running down their pre-TBC coffers? Short of selling 2 epics per week from Chess I don't really see anything particularly lucrative for raid guilds.

There's a clear lack of high level greens that nuke to Large Prismatic Shards (like BWL greens used to sometimes nuke to large brilliants). I now posses 500+ dust and essences but something like 2 shards, from 4 weeks of double-teaming Karazhan. I've always liked to had out free enchanting mats to raiders but now i have to tell them to go find their own prismatics.

as for consumables cash, i'm guessing that the "uberguilds" clearing current content with gay abandon are running down their pre-TBC coffers? Short of selling 2 epics per week from Chess I don't really see anything particularly lucrative for raid guilds.

Well, for hardcore players who were among the first to 70, there were a ton of moneymaking opportunities that could fund heavy raiding for a long time to come, even without any kind of guild bank support. We had one of the first jewelcrafters to 375 skill, who bought all the blue gem designs he could when they were cheap, and he made an absolute killing before the market became saturated. Same with people who farmed pre-nerf elemental plateau when there were a handful of 70s, total, on the server, and hoarded it all for later resale. Imagine being an herbalist when you are one of a dozen people on the server with a flying mount.

Personally, I hit 70, ran heroics nonstop, and ended up with 30-something Primal Nethers and nothing to use them on. I picked up some epic weapon plans, and now I'll soon have >4k gold after buying my mount. I don't like consumables, but I can certainly sustain heavy use of them for quite a while to come.

Yeah, as the first 70 on Ner'zhul, I stocked up thousands of gold worth of primals and managed to get almost every epic LW recipe, which I sell for 250g a pop with nethers. *I* have a ton of gold, and I can sustain my own use of them for a long time, but the rest of my guild isn't all in similar shape. I've been taking donations for tank flasks and resist gear and such, but that's hardly a smooth process, and some people obviously end up paying a lot more than others over time. I'm strongly considering dropping Engineering for herbalism - not even for myself, but so I can support other peoples' consumable needs. I'm not sure if that's sadder commentary about engineering or the state of the raid game, though.

Unless you have some extremely hard to get recipes for your profession (and you actually get regular use out of them), its pretty much worth it to drop anything for Herbalism. One of the officers of my guild and I had a discussion about it when he was trying to level an alt to herb, when he could just do it on his druid with the 280% mount and he was rather torn up about the thought of dropping skinning. I pointed out pretty much anything skinned even now isn't worth shit and if he had to make anything the cash he could make from herbalism could easily afford anything he needed to buy for LW. I mean, mining is pretty profitable, but herbalism still makes more as a gathering profession, and even if it did not, you'd get consistant use out of the things you picked. Personally I've got my smithing up just buying stuff in the AH rather than mining, and while it is a bit costly to not mine to raise the skill, its hard to beat being able to go out and pick herbs whenever I want to, or even just flying somewhere you'd be surprised at the volume of stuff you can pick up and trade/sell for herbs you or others can use. If its not Ragveil, it can be sold for a reasonable price (or unreasonable price in the case of say Mana Thistle).

Also, as more and more people get into the raiding game and get further down the progression line I expect things like Mana Thistle are going to be perma camped and prices will be very high per stack - they already pretty much are on my server at some locations. Might as well load up while you can.

Unless you have some extremely hard to get recipes for your profession (and you actually get regular use out of them), its pretty much worth it to drop anything for Herbalism. One of the officers of my guild and I had a discussion about it when he was trying to level an alt to herb, when he could just do it on his druid with the 280% mount and he was rather torn up about the thought of dropping skinning. I pointed out pretty much anything skinned even now isn't worth shit and if he had to make anything the cash he could make from herbalism could easily afford anything he needed to buy for LW. I mean, mining is pretty profitable, but herbalism still makes more as a gathering profession, and even if it did not, you'd get consistant use out of the things you picked. Personally I've got my smithing up just buying stuff in the AH rather than mining, and while it is a bit costly to not mine to raise the skill, its hard to beat being able to go out and pick herbs whenever I want to, or even just flying somewhere you'd be surprised at the volume of stuff you can pick up and trade/sell for herbs you or others can use. If its not Ragveil, it can be sold for a reasonable price (or unreasonable price in the case of say Mana Thistle).

Also, as more and more people get into the raiding game and get further down the progression line I expect things like Mana Thistle are going to be perma camped and prices will be very high per stack - they already pretty much are on my server at some locations. Might as well load up while you can.

I would love to see a mod that some how allows both herbs and mining nodes to appear on the map at the same time. Would this sort of thing be feasible?

Slightly OT, but how fast do you guys go through your Guild Bank gold? I manage my guild's bank, but we never got deep into Naxx, so I have no reference point for whether our funds are low or high (20k).

Slightly OT, but how fast do you guys go through your Guild Bank gold? I manage my guild's bank, but we never got deep into Naxx, so I have no reference point for whether our funds are low or high (20k).

That's a very healthy guild bank at this point I'd say.

We had ~43,000 gold going into Naxx, and virtually no bank to speak of by the end of December. That hurt.

I would love to see a mod that some how allows both herbs and mining nodes to appear on the map at the same time. Would this sort of thing be feasible?

I just use "/castsequence Find Herbs, Find Minerals" in a macro for my hunter and toggle it as I fly along. (He exists to farm primals, pick flowers and mine nodes. If I were slightly less lazy I would level up the rogue in herbalism just for instance picking lichens but I'm not.) I don't know much at all about the API but I can't imagine it being difficult to have that happen regularly with error messages suppressed. Unfortunately, I don't know if you'd want it automated just because the nodes don't always load in time as it is but you get a feel for where they are anyhow.

Well, for hardcore players who were among the first to 70, there were a ton of moneymaking opportunities that could fund heavy raiding for a long time to come, even without any kind of guild bank support. We had one of the first jewelcrafters to 375 skill, who bought all the blue gem designs he could when they were cheap, and he made an absolute killing before the market became saturated. Same with people who farmed pre-nerf elemental plateau when there were a handful of 70s, total, on the server, and hoarded it all for later resale. Imagine being an herbalist when you are one of a dozen people on the server with a flying mount.

Personally, I hit 70, ran heroics nonstop, and ended up with 30-something Primal Nethers and nothing to use them on. I picked up some epic weapon plans, and now I'll soon have >4k gold after buying my mount. I don't like consumables, but I can certainly sustain heavy use of them for quite a while to come.

That's great for personal wealth/income. I was kind of more talking about raid-generated stuff. I managed an income of 500-1000g/week when running MC/BWL/AQ20/AQ40 with BoE epics, cores etc. A few greens/soulcloth/motes of mana are a far cry off that.

I always liked the almost self-sustaining aspect of 1.x raiding. even when it got crazy with people handing over thousands of gold for a BWL run, you always knew where your next flask of the Titans was coming from. Now we have to fish the damn eels ourselves because Azeroth is like so 2006 :)

TBC Banking is definitely problematic. I've always prided my guild on doing really well with our guild bank and coming up with ways to sustain it. However right now any guild doing gruul and SS have to be in the red right now, assuming the bank finances a good portion of things.. I'm not sure what other guilds finance but we do repairs + potions, and did 800g/person for their flying mounts.

The best advice I can offer is when you find a money market hit is hard and SAVE up as much money as possible. We went into Naxx with 110k gold. By October we were down to 50k... and started to sell T3 gear, making another 50k to bring 100k into the expansion.

It is all about offering something to people on your server that nobody else DOES or CAN. I don't care what it is, if you do that people will pay for it, and sometimes ridiculous amounts. Our guild bank once sold a frostbolt book (AQ20) on the AH for 2,700 gold -- now how silly is that? But it sold because nobody else on the server was selling them at that point and people wanted them pretty damn bad.

Some possible income sources you could try would definitely be Primal nethers, Chess event loot, Tier4 gloves/hat (should be pretty easy to have 1 noob on those fights, prince especially). I think more than likely we'll start offering prince weapons/hats in maybe 3-4 weeks when less and less people need them.

Cartographer shows both mining and herbalism nodes on map and minimap once you have gathered from the said node once. I also use the /castsequence-macro to toggle between find herbs/minerals. Once you've farmed a bit you have about all nodes on Cartographer so it's pretty easy to check both herb and mineral nodes at the same time.

On another note, I used to have 3 level 60 alts with herbalism back when raiding Naxxramas. One at desolace, one camping SM and one at EPL for lotuses. Now I'm leveling just one alt to 70 with herb/mining and buying him an epic flying mount. I'm thinking about leveling my druid from 60 to 70 though, for instances, but I'm not sure I'll do that.