Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warlocomotif

4.0 Pre-Cataclysm Raiding

260 posts in this topic

Firebolt is 1 word

Yeah, just copied from the post before mine. Macros has a notable animation on imp's FB. I'm testing on RU servers, so the macros differs a bit.

Tested once again:

1 try. Just the imp and the dummy, naked warlock 1 dark arts talent (tooltip shows 2.25 sec cast):

186(H)+50(M)+11©=247 firebolts cast

600sec/247=2.429 sec avg cast

2 try. With macros+autoclicker delay 300ms(3.33 hits/sec). Same parameters as 1 try:

192+41+15=248 firebolts cast

600sec/248=2.419 sec avg cast

+/- 1 cast error in calculations

Seems like same with/without macros ((

Ooooh and 2.429-2.25=0.179 cast delay is a huge loss. Sad.

1 try. Just the imp and the dummy, naked warlock 1 dark arts talent (tooltip shows 2.25 sec cast):

186(H)+50(M)+11©=247 firebolts cast

600sec/247=2.429 sec avg cast

2 try. With macros+autoclicker delay 300ms(3.33 hits/sec). Same parameters as 1 try:

192+41+15=248 firebolts cast

600sec/248=2.419 sec avg cast

Seems like same with/without macros ((

Ooooh and 2.429-2.25=0.179 cast delay is a huge loss. Sad.

Since your pets' spells can't be queued up like your own spells can, the effectiveness of the macro relies largely on the rapidity of your clicking. The macro will do nothing if your imp finishes a cast then starts casting again between two clicks of the macro. Your autoclicker leaves 0.3 sec between clicks, which isn't very helpful when your imp's pause is only 0.179 sec. i.e. the lower your latency, the more rapidly you must click to make the Firebolt macro effective. Personally, I spam my buttons about 4-5 times per second, and closer to 6-7 times per second when I really get aggressive, and I like to think (or hope) that most players spam at about 4-5 hits per second.

Here are my results from a few dummy fights:

Tooltip says 1.75 sec, 0/3 Dark Arts

[TABLE]|Fight Length|# of Casts|Cast+Pause|Pause Time

No Macro|194s|81|2.383s|0.633s

w/ Macro|193s|107|1.804s|0.054s[/TABLE]

Tooltip says 1.51 sec, 3/3 Dark Arts

[table]|Fight Length|# of Casts|Cast+Pause|Pause Time

No Macro|300s|187|1.600s|0.090s

w/ Macro|300s|190|1.579s|0.089s[/table]

Tooltip says 1.24 sec, 3/3 Dark Arts

[table]|Fight Length|# of Casts|Cast+Pause|Pause Time|Pause After GCD

No Macro|194s|122|1.590s|0.350s|0.090s

w/ Macro|193s|121|1.595s|0.355s|0.095s[/table]

The first table shows a huge gap when not spamming the macro, which works out to about 39% of the imp's potential DPS being lost to lag. The second table shows an imp just short of the GCD cap, and the third is well past the GCD cap. Curiously, the latter two imps don't seem to be very much affected by lag while the first one is devastated by it. Does anyone know why this might be? Something to do with Dark Arts perhaps?

Tooltip says 1.75 sec, 0/3 Dark Arts

[TABLE]|Fight Length|# of Casts|Cast+Pause|Pause Time

No Macro|194s|81|2.383s|0.633s

w/ Macro|193s|107|1.804s|0.054s[/TABLE]

mistake in test?

mistake in test?

No, I tested more times but I didn't really want to make that post any bigger. A guildie of mine seems to think it has something to do with the imp's cast animation, where he wants to finish his little jump before starting his next cast, but then why does he cast just fine when his cast time is closer to 1.5? As I said, it could have something to do with Dark Arts, which shouldn't be an issue for any spec that uses the imp anyway. The main point of that post is that the macro does indeed make a difference, though less of a difference closer to 1.5 sec, depending on how fast you're spamming the macro.

I've been meaning to test for the possibility that this discrepency is caused by the firebolt being in flight causing the imp to pause before the next cast. Having the imp "move to" melee range of the target might allow him to chain-cast a bit faster. I'll have time later this week to follow up.

A snapshot is taken of your current stats and applied to the guardian when summoned, this is used as the base for them. They also receive all buffs that are available when summoned, so this would include Heroism / Bloodlust if active.

So, if the guardian has been summoned after Bloodlust is used, it will still be applied? Also, which of the two guardians does the most dps? Does this differ between the specs?

Just wanted to drop a note here; I'm going to take a break from World of Warcraft fot a while. I'll probably be back, and it's not a matter of dissatisfaction with the game or anything like that; merely that I haven't felt like actually playing the game in about 2 months or so. Theorycrafting is still fun, and i'll probably keep checking EJ and some other wow related websites.

If anyone wants to update this guide or the old demonology guide, feel free.

So, if the guardian has been summoned after Bloodlust is used, it will still be applied? Also, which of the two guardians does the most dps? Does this differ between the specs?

Doomguard offers more DPS. Infernal is useful for the stun in AoE packs, though. As far as the Bloodlust, I'm not entirely sure. I've never seen mine benefit from it, at the very least.

Given that Imp Soul Fire has a 15 second cooldown matching its 15 second duration it seems that we should:

1. If possible due to the durations save Emp Imp procs till Imp SF is less than travel time from expiring.

2. Time hard cast SFs to begin during the expiring Imp SF buff but land after expiration.

My question is about number 2. I actually got better results from letting the buff expire if its end coincided with refreshing dots or conflaging and casting hardcast SFs only when I would be casting an incinerate. I am tentatively assuming this is accurate and reflects our priority list but was hoping someone with better math/theorycrafting skills could discuss it. I am particularly interested in the increased cast time from starting my hardcast after the haste buff has expired and how that fits into this calculation

Since the new strange patch, can anyone confirm that is better to put 2 points in to improve Bane of Doom rather than 2 points on Corruption.