Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warlocomotif

4.0 Pre-Cataclysm Raiding

260 posts in this topic

Ugh! What do you have as far as dps numbers for the difference between pets as Demonology. in 4.0? I largely ignored the fact that the guardian pets existed because I'm not a quester at heart and prior to this patch they were not necessary.

Edit: Didn't the guardian pets also NOT provide the Demonic Pact buff? Has that changed in 4.0?

It hasn't changed, as far as I know, but it's also irrelevant. You can have your infernal/doomguard out along with your usual pet. In other words, you'll have two pets for a short time.

Best Meta Gem

I was fooled in to getting the bracing earthsiege diamond, thinking that since int scales much higher than crit, then it only makes sense. Or does it? After rethinking, and deciding to do the math for myself, I found that our best meta gem is still Chaotic Skyflare Diamond.

note: 1% crit = 46. Chaotic Skyflare Diamond has a total of 21 + (46 x 3) = 159 crit

Affliction

Chaotic Skyflare Diamond = 159 crit x 2.0733 dps = 329.65 dps

Earthsiege Diamond = 21 Int x 4.1835 dps = 87.85 dps

Tireless Skyflare Diamond = 21 Int x 4.1835 dps = 87.85 dps

Demonology

Chaotic Skyflare Diamond = 159 crit x 1.8953 dps = 301.35dps

Bracing Earthsiege Diamond = 21 Int x 3.2822 dps = 68.92 dps

Tireless Skyflare Diamond = 21 Int x 3.2822 dps = 68.92 dps

Destruction

Chaotic Skyflare Diamond = 159 crit x 1.9349 dps = 307.64 dps

Bracing Earthsiege Diamond = 21 Int x 3.5955 dps = 75.51 dps

Tireless Skyflare Diamond = 21 Int x 3.5955 dps = 75.51 dps

Maybe I'm the last to discover this, but thought I'd post it in case people are still wondering.

note: 1% crit = 46. Chaotic Skyflare Diamond has a total of 21 + (46 x 3) = 159 crit

Chaotic Skyflare Diamond adds 3% critical damage, not 3% crit.

EDIT: Did some quick testing of my own today. For those of you unsure about Succy vs Felhunter for affliction:

Felhunter, no dots: 703.5 dps over ~120s fights.

Felhunter, my dots: 1001.1 dps.

Succubus, no glyph: 982.4 dps.

Succubus, glyph of lash of pain: 1171.7 dps.

==Demonology==

Prime Glyphs: Immolate, Incinerate, Metamorphosis

Major Glyphs: Life Tap, Shadow Bolt

Curious what math/theorycraft support was behind dropping the Felguard glyph, presumably in favor of Incinerate?

You should be glyphing Imp over Incinerate for Destro.

If you use searing pain after the target has reached the 50 % it's a good idea I think . But I tested some tank on the PTR and you have to pay attention to your aggro , not always is possible to use a searing pain filler sequence.It's better start with incinerate.And later searing pain.

For example Lord Marrowgar, during the bonestorm tank can't do aggro , and it's a problem if you start immediatly with searing pain . Ok we have a new soul shatter , more stronger but we have to pay more attention in this type of fight I think .

So if you are sure to manage you aggro and you never use incinerate after the target reach 50 % ok use GLyph of imp , on the contrary incinerate glyph

It seems to me that while SP is better dummy DPS, it's really impractical in most fights. Maybe the tank who I ran with was just getting used to the changes, but when we hit 50% on bosses and I started tossing in SP to my rotation, I had to switch back to incin in order to avoid pulling aggro. This happened almost every fight.

I used SP almost exclusively throughout most of ICC last night. Yell at your rogues/hunters if they are not using tricks/md's. It makes a huge difference.

The incin glyph has pretty much become worthless if you learn to manage your aggro.

I used SP almost exclusively throughout most of ICC last night. Yell at your rogues/hunters if they are not using tricks/md's. It makes a huge difference.

The incin glyph has pretty much become worthless if you learn to manage your aggro.

Tricks/MD are only a temporary threat gain now, like a reverse Fade. That having been said, it might be ok in 25-man if you have enough Hunters/Rogues to keep it cycling. In a 10 man last night, I was having threat issues with "full" SP (except burning 2 charges of backdraft on Incin).

You should also note that if there are no other warlocks in the raid or party, you can have Curse of Elements up along with Bane of Agony, or even Bane of Doom. Thats because they are separate from one another. One is considered a "Bane" and one is considered a "Curse"

It might have been discussed here somewhere but i don't think so, does the infernal aura tick scale with destro mastery? I know its been discussed about demo mastery scaling with infernal/DGs but no mention of destro mastery scaling with the infernal aura.

I was wandering if 15% of damage streamed from BoH (casted on the same target) can out weight BoD or BoA for destro spec?

I had alot of threat issues using nothing but SP in rotation, opening with soulfire followed by an imm/conflag puts an early strain on tanks. Make sure you are utilizing paladin salvations!

I took Shadowburn because most bosses aren't festergut, you can utilize shadowburn on a fight like Saurfang or Putricide- it's the same reason I took Bane of Havoc- although useless on most fights it can be useful on LDW HC.

I don't get all the hostility towards Bane of Havoc, it seems like a better choice than Bane of Doom against LDW, LK and Sindragosa, which are among the more difficult ones.

According to the most recent simcraft numbers BoD makes up about 5% of our damage, so in any encounter in which less than 2/3 of your damage were dealt to the boss, BoH is actually superior. Of course there's no need to go either way. One could (and should) simply apply BoH right before the boss uses some mechanic that makes forces you to get our of range or line of sight, such as teleporting dragons having their flight phase, the Lich King in his transitional phases and of course Halion, when you go through a portal. I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty sure you could deal damage to both Halions with BoH.

But maybe I just want BoH to be good because it's new, awesome and exclusive to the Destruction tree :(

I was wandering if 15% of damage streamed from BoH (casted on the same target) can out weight BoD or BoA for destro spec?

BoH has no effect if you are directly attacking the baned target. However, due to BoD usually being roughly 5-6% of total damage done, the 15% transference from BoH should translate to being roughly 3 times more effective than your other banes.

Imp SP now only affects sub-25%, and Imp Soulfire is no longer limited to +80%.

Assuming keeping the haste buff up will be a priority, and SP over Incinerate when Backdraft isn't up pre-25%...?

I know it's been said already, but thanks for making this thread so informative so quickly after a large patch.

I wondered why soul burn appeared in the destro build but did not in the priority list. The most likely reason is that it is meant as a "use this while moving to do some dmg" but I've thought of another reason destruction locks might want to consider it.

One of the catches with shadowburn is that if a target dies within 5 seconds of being shadowburned you get all three shards filled. Considering shards do not regen in combat and the major utility they have, this can be a huge boost if used properly on a fight with adds (saurfang, lady deathwhisper... the lich king).

while this is highly situational it can also be a gigantic boost, and may be well worth spending that point.

Imp SP now only affects sub-25%, and Imp Soulfire is no longer limited to +80%.

Assuming keeping the haste buff up will be a priority, and SP over Incinerate when Backdraft isn't up pre-25%...?

Those changes, as far as I know, are only for the Cataclysm beta, not for the current live game, so they should be discussed in another thread.

The priority lists all put soul burn: Soul Fire very high on their priority lists; I'd like to contest that, or suggest scenarios where this would not be the case.

On a fight with adds, it is possible to restore soul shards with drain soul or shadowburn. On many fights, it is not possible.

As long as you can use the 3 shards before you can get new ones, it does not matter how fast you use them up. Consider, lets say, festergut. Using the priority system shown here, you would put soulburn at higher priority than other DoTs and smallterm cooldowns, thus making you lose some dps on those.

However, if it was simply put it's priority above the filler spells, you would still get the benefit of those shards, and would only lose out on filler dps, rather than pushing back other abilities that have to be used/applied periodically.

In essence, you won't lose dps out of using shards late on a tank & spank fight, as long as you get to use the three by the time the fight ends. It might even be worth saving them (as affl/demo) for when you have to move, on fights with movement.

While this only applies strictly to tank & spank fights, and not fights where you can get shards back, it is still an important consideration.

It seems the Searing Pain nerf is already live, currently critting for around 7k whereas it was almost on-par with Incinerate crits yesterday.

Also is there a bug with hit? I have 11.54% and it says 0% miss chance, and I definitely don't miss on any raid bosses.

Indeed SP nerf is live, where I was critting for more than incin couple of hours ago, the highest I can get now is around 7.8k from SP. Back to standard rotation methinks.

Basically keeping corr/immo/bod (possible coe) up, abusing conflag every time, cb on CD and thats that folks! No more sp spam :(

My tank hated it though

Also is there a bug with hit? I have 11.54% and it says 0% miss chance, and I definitely don't miss on any raid bosses.

What happened to you is that you used the mouse wheel to scroll down you character stats and immediately ended up at the bottom where you got the melee hit chance rather than the spell hit chance.

Indeed SP nerf is live, where I was critting for more than incin couple of hours ago, the highest I can get now is around 7.8k from SP. Back to standard rotation methinks.

Basically keeping corr/immo/bod (possible coe) up, abusing conflag every time, cb on CD and thats that folks! No more sp spam :(

My tank hated it though

Wait what, since when do we keep up Corruption again? I dropped that somewhere in Ulduar and only ever used in while moving since then. It seems pretty useless, with Mastery apparently becoming our best stat.

Does the change from Felguard to Incin Glyph suggest a change of filler away from SB (which from the spell pri list I am guessing it isn't) or are sims now merely suggesting the Incin Glyph + MC proc outperforms Felguard glyphed Legion Strike?

Just looking for a confirmation.

Does the change from Felguard to Incin Glyph suggest a change of filler away from SB (which from the spell pri list I am guessing it isn't) or are sims now merely suggesting the Incin Glyph + MC proc outperforms Felguard glyphed Legion Strike?

Just looking for a confirmation.

Glyph of Felguard is simply an immensely terrible glyph. Also I've updated the OP.