Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Namnalia

Dots and you: The 4.0 Affliction Warlock thread

79 posts in this topic

I need to take one point out of cookie cutter affliction spec for SoC. So from which one to remove one point Nightfall or S&F? What is lower dps loss?

Nightfall (from which you only gain a chance to fire an instant) against permanent DPS increase of S&F

Unconfirmed:

Drain soul damage modifier has been nerfed. Tooltip ingame does not reflect tooltip on wowhead, so I'm not sure if there is any damage modifier bonus below 25% any longer.

Unconfirmed:

Drain soul damage modifier has been nerfed. Tooltip ingame does not reflect tooltip on wowhead, so I'm not sure if there is any damage modifier bonus below 25% any longer.

Affliction Warlocks – we lowered the damage of Drain Soul slightly.

Sounds like they over-nerfed it.

Just a heads up, in the OP in the gems section the Red gem that is listed as "Item not found" is Brilliant Cardinal Ruby. It's spelled in the OP as Brillant so that's why it's coming up.

I thought spirit isn't worth much now? How come Enchant Chest - Major Spirit is listed as an enchant? Is this a mistake?

Concerning the usage of Soulburn for Affliction, wouldn't Soulburn + Drain Life be a slight dps increase for burst damage phases? Probably using it during Bloodlust/Heroism would be overkill, but what about the "normal" phases?

I've been wondering this as well. SB+DL seems to be slightly higher output than a shadowbolt, and I imagine higher levels of mastery would increase that. Perhaps during a T10 4p proc?

First off thanks for the good work once again. My question is. I am hit cap right now and just under 1k haste. I still have 10int/10spirit gems in my blue sockets. What would be my best coarse of action for gemming those blue sockets? I was thinking full int or int/haste or maybe even int/hit so i can reforge my hit on my gear into mastery or haste if possible. Thanks in advance.

First off thanks for the good work once again. My question is. I am hit cap right now and just under 1k haste. I still have 10int/10spirit gems in my blue sockets. What would be my best coarse of action for gemming those blue sockets? I was thinking full int or int/haste or maybe even int/hit so i can reforge my hit on my gear into mastery or haste if possible. Thanks in advance.

gem SP/hit in blue gems for socket bonus and then reforge the extra hit u get from gear to Haste if possible. mastery otherwise

I'm currently seeing a lot of locks using Drain Life instead of SB as a filler. I believe this is due to mastery increasing your periodic damage, which will affect DL and not SB.

Any calculations on what values of Mastery are needed to make DL worth it?

Any calculations on what values of Mastery are needed to make DL worth it?

From another thread here, but it's worth relinking (apologies if it's actually from this thread): Spreadsheet.

EDIT: My bad. This spreadsheet uses data taken from the PTR, so it may not be 100% accurate.

As far as I'm aware, 1 Intellect gives you 1 Spellpower, 15 Mana, about .27 Crit Rating, and MP5 with diminishing returns on a parabolic curve.

I personally just replaced the [item]Nevermelting Ice Crystal with the [item]Talisman of Resurgence[/item] because... well, now that rolling crit is no longer an in-game mechanic, the Nevermelting Ice Crystal's proc is equivalent to a permanent 50 Crit Rating boost. The Talisman's on-use ability, for comparison, is equivalent to a permanent 100 Spellpower boost.

Keep in mind intellect gets boosted by cloth mastery and kings, and spellpower gets boosted by demonic pact.

It's not quite as simple as 1int = 1sp unless you take int after all scalars and sp before all scalars.

Is it correct that atm it's totally useless to use DS at all? SB should be hitting harder, because of DS got nerfed to only 2 times the damage in the execute phase instead of 4 times?

Is it correct that atm it's totally useless to use DS at all? SB should be hitting harder, because of DS got nerfed to only 2 times the damage in the execute phase instead of 4 times?

idd, i'm under similar impression..

DPET of "current" drain soul should be lower then shadobolt.. issue is: drain soul refresh unstable as well under 25%, so i'm wondering wether the saved gcd every 14-15 sec is better or not then shadow bolt...

hope some heavy theorycrafter will give us some solid number-crunching :/

idd, i'm under similar impression..

DPET of "current" drain soul should be lower then shadobolt.. issue is: drain soul refresh unstable as well under 25%, so i'm wondering wether the saved gcd every 14-15 sec is better or not then shadow bolt...

hope some heavy theorycrafter will give us some solid number-crunching :/

The current execute drain soul has a DPET almost double that of shadowbolt, so it's still worth using it below 25%.

http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t48311-simulationcraft_warlocks_4_0_1_numbers/#post1123387 -> DS DPET 12.8k / SB DPET 7.4k, check the Affliction spec

I've been unsure about this for a while and would really appreciate somebody clearing it up for me. I'm an affliction warlock and my corruption refreshes upon applying haunt or a SB which basically means that I need only cast it once usually. I have Muradin's Spyglass as well as lightweave tailoring etc. Does this mean that I should re apply corruption when these buffs occur rather than leaving the original corruption to be refreshed?

Also was wondering about the soul swap ability, when re-applied are the DoTs refreshed?

I've been unsure about this for a while and would really appreciate somebody clearing it up for me. I'm an affliction warlock and my corruption refreshes upon applying haunt or a SB which basically means that I need only cast it once usually. I have Muradin's Spyglass as well as lightweave tailoring etc. Does this mean that I should re apply corruption when these buffs occur rather than leaving the original corruption to be refreshed?

Also was wondering about the soul swap ability, when re-applied are the DoTs refreshed?

There is no need to ever reapply corruption unless it falls off. Damage is updated with buffs.

And soul swap will apply full-duration dots.

Does UA/CoA update buffs each tick as well? Or should we wait to apply our first set after haunt? Because they are not continuously being refreshed by SB/Haunt.

Is Lightweave Embroidery from Tailoring being figured correctly?

I'm seeing Lightweave Embroidery coming in a lot higher than expected.

15/50(45 sec CD+5) = .3

.3*295= 88.5 Effective Spell Power

88.5*3.0770 = 272 DPS

This is even higher than Jewelcrafting (176 DPS) AND Blacksmithing (167 DPS) from the original post seen in this thread. Is this correct or am I doing something terribly wrong here? I ask this because I was thinking about dropping Tailoring for Herbalism for the +40 Effective Haste (which would ultimately give me an additional 23 Haste from Enchant Cloak - Greater Speed) for a total of 63 Effective Haste.

Is Lightweave Embroidery from Tailoring being figured correctly?

I'm seeing Lightweave Embroidery coming in a lot higher than expected.

15/50(45 sec CD+5) = .3

.3*295= 88.5 Effective Spell Power

88.5*3.0770 = 272 DPS

This is even higher than Jewelcrafting (176 DPS) AND Blacksmithing (167 DPS) from the original post seen in this thread. Is this correct or am I doing something terribly wrong here? I ask this because I was thinking about dropping Tailoring for Herbalism for the +40 Effective Haste (which would ultimately give me an additional 23 Haste from Enchant Cloak - Greater Speed) for a total of 63 Effective Haste.

You forgot to subtract the value of the 23 haste that would otherwise go on the cloak, which leads to an effective dps increase of either ((88.5 * 3.0770) - (23 * 3.2885)) (this thread) or ((88.5 * 3.0699) - (23 * 3.3737)) (simcraft thread). Either way, it's somewhere around 195 dps, assuming the Lightweave proc rate hasn't diminished below your estimate of 30% uptime. It's closer to 150 dps if Lightweave has a 25% uptime, which I believe I've seen somewhere recently, which would put Tailoring below Jewelcrafting and Blacksmithing. In any event, Herbalism comes out at around 135 dps, far below even Tailoring.

You forgot to subtract the value of the 23 haste that would otherwise go on the cloak, which leads to an effective dps increase of either ((88.5 * 3.0770) - (23 * 3.2885)) (this thread) or ((88.5 * 3.0699) - (23 * 3.3737)) (simcraft thread). Either way, it's somewhere around 195 dps, assuming the Lightweave proc rate hasn't diminished below your estimate of 30% uptime. It's closer to 150 dps if Lightweave has a 25% uptime, which I believe I've seen somewhere recently, which would put Tailoring below Jewelcrafting and Blacksmithing. In any event, Herbalism comes out at around 135 dps, far below even Tailoring.

Thank you for the heads up and clearing that up for me. I tested it last night for about 4 hours on dummies and a few raid bosses. I saw around 25-26% uptime from said tests. Thus putting Lightweave somewhere around the 150 DPS range you mentioned and not the much higher 195 DPS range from a 30% uptime I had originally figured.

Fel Armor: 1455 Spell Power

but now as i can see in game Fel Armor gives only 180 Spell Power

Explain plz:confused:

This is because wowhead takes the wrong scaling type.

From the simcraft database, effect 17645 we get m_avg=1.4400000572.

The scaling_type for spell 28176 ( Fel Armor ) is -1, ( which in Simcraft is called PLAYER_NONE ). This is not type=PLAYER_WARLOCK, even though Fel Armor is a normal Warlock spell.

Scaling Values for type PLAYER_NONE are:

80: 125.000000000000000

81: 305.000000000000000

82: 338.000000000000000

83: 375.000000000000000

84: 407.000000000000000

85: 443.000000000000000

Which gives for example for level 80: 1.4400000572 * 125 = 180.00000715

Or for level 85: 1.4400000572 * 443 = 637.92002534