Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reeshet

Optimal Reforger Calculator

60 posts in this topic

Understood, user generated content is always tricky. But maybe you could make it less prominent, and add some... obvious auto-filters? The words I saw in that shoutbox were not at all "gray area" offensive.

cdyne.com has a free profanity filter, works pretty well, and its free. So I should add that at some point.

I want to add a concept of a _recipe_ or a _formula_

For example, you are discussing reforging for a combat rogue on a forum, you could say

I think this is how you should reforge: hit>=461,crit=178,mastery>haste>crit

That formula is translated as:

reforge to get hit to at least 461, set crit to exactly 178, and then reforge for mastery then haste then crit.

I.e. mastery is more important than haste, and haste more important than crit.

You can take that formula and copy-paste it to wowreforge.com and then apply it to your own character.

I also want to allow one to save formulas or pick a formula from a list of user-defined ones; you also will be able to save a formula from your current reforging session and generate a link for it, so that you can paste a formula link in forum response.

Here is my concern. When you are searching for an exact value (e.g. set exp to exactly 178) the calculator will take reforging value into account (e.g. its better to reforge crit->exp, than mastery->exp). Now, it is possible, I think, to have a situation when best reforging might depend on exact stat values.

E.g.

Mastery Weight = 100, Crit Weight = 20

will produce reforging different from

Mastery Weight = 100, Crit Weight = 60

even though mastery > crit in both cases.

Does formula has to include exact stat weights, or is it sufficient to just define relationship.

E.g.

hit>=461,exp=178,mastery>haste>crit

vs

hit>=461,exp=178,mastery:100,haste:80,crit:60

Do you need this feature? Which route should I go? Any other ideas?

Should I call it _formula_ or a _recipe_?

Its more of a breakpoint, as the stats probably change in value at those points.

Did a spin on it quick for Protection Paladin. I have a few comments;

It doesn't look like it optimizes for best hit table coverage when working towards being block capped. Theck worked out that if hit or exp rating is less than 60% of the parry or dodge rating on a piece it's better to reforge the parry or dodge to mastery rather than the hit or exp. Doing that will overall grant you more total avoidance, so getting closer to the goal of block cappnig.

I couldn't seem to notice if it considers parry vs dodge totals for diminishing returns, does it? (Also does it check STR/AGI contribution to parry/dodge)

Default stat weight isn't on par with Prot Paladin current trends.

Otherwise good tool, I look foward to the future tweaks.

I recently reforged my Priest to 1742 Hit/Spirit.

I just wanted to add too issues that i encountered:

• New Leg enchants are not theated correctly. (Missing Spirit in my case)
  • Chest enchant +X to All stats is missing Spirit in the calculation, but is granted ingame.

Is there a way to give a user a link to your site which automatically:

1. Gets the right char
  2. Inserts the right stat weightings

For simulationcraft, to perhaps put a link in HTML reports for something like "Click here if you want to optimize your gear through reforging"

Planetary Band - Item - World of Warcraft I got the int/spirit/haste as the random stats and the page doesn't seem to recognise that

For the link, it's easy once you know the id of the realm.

E.g. http://wowreforge.com/Reforge.aspx?Name=Surprise&RealmId=477&Spec=Off (or Spec=Main) would bring you my toon on Wrathbringer/EU.

To get the list of id <-> realm, display the source code and look for the <select name="realmId" id="realmId"> entry.

Besides that, we really need a way to save/import the EP values (stat weightings).

For the link, it's easy once you know the id of the realm.

E.g. WoW Reforge Calculator (or Spec=Main) would bring you my toon on Wrathbringer/EU.

To get the list of id <-> realm, display the source code and look for the <select name="realmId" id="realmId"> entry.

Besides that, we really need a way to save/import the EP values (stat weightings).

Oh, so right now we can't pass the weightings through the link? Hope this gets implemented soon :)

I have added "include stat weights into the link" to the uservoice features list. Thank you for your concern.

Just to note, the balance druid stat weightings are way off.

Used simulationcraft to get mine, spirit==hit for druid (only 2%o off, not that bad o; )

[table="heade]|crit|haste|hit|mastery|spirit

Wowreforge|43|54|100|100|22

My Druid|0.7364|1.0622|1.5211|0.6182|1.5183

Normalized|48.4|69.8|100|40.6|100

[/table]

Crit ain't that bad, haste is icky, but mastery/spirit really hurts with those default values

I've been trying out wowreforge.com and I think I've found a deficiency in the algorithm being used. I've noticed that it tries too hard to get to the exact number (despite "close to" being selected) even if a less efficient reforge, which wastes a few stat points over the selected caps, is effectively superior.

Let me preface this by saying the example I'm giving is incredibly trivial (1 point difference), but the issue remains that it could be a higher difference in another example and what's the point of running a 10 minute reforge script if better results can be achieved by 2 minutes of in-game trial and error reforging ;)

Example:

I play a Human Ret Paladin, my caps after glyph and racial expertise bonus are (960.872) ~961 hit rating and (390.3536) ~391 expertise rating.

Setting the reforge to achieve "close to" 961 hit/391 exp gave the following result: WoW Reforge Calculator

It hits the exact caps and the remaining stats are:

Crit: 1220 * 0.96 = 1171.2

Haste: 841 * 0.80 = 672.8

Mastery: 1407 * 1.01 = 1421.07

3468 rating -> 3265.07 effective worth

I did notice however that it reforged away Crit instead of Haste on my [Reinforced Sapphirium Battleplate]. As you can see from the stat weights, Haste is currently the black sheep of the Ret stat lineup and should be axed where possible, so I tried a manual trial and error reforge which includes reforging away from all Haste and found the following result:

Hit: 964 (3 rating wasted)

Exp: 398 (7 rating wasted)

---

Crit: 1359 * 0.96 = 1304.64

Haste: 755 * 0.80 = 604

Mastery: 1344 * 1.01 = 1357.44

3458 rating -> 3266.08 effective worth

As you can see, even though I'm wasting 10 stats, the remaining stats are worth more. For posterity/in case I change my gear, the reforge I use is:

Head : HasteRating -> HitRating

Neck : HasteRating -> HitRating

Chest : HasteRating -> ExpertiseRating

Wrists : HasteRating -> MasteryRating

Hands : HasteRating -> HitRating

Ring1 : HasteRating -> ExpertiseRating

Ring2 : HasteRating -> ExpertiseRating

Back : HasteRating -> HitRating

WeaponMainHand : CritRating -> MasteryRating

Range : ExpertiseRating -> MasteryRating

I assume wowreforge uses some form of recursive algorithm to achieve its results? There needs to be an iteration added where it compares the value of "a reforge that minimizes inferior stats, but includes wasted stats" (my result) to "a reforge that has no wasted stats, but might be leaving inferior stats unchanged on some items" (wowreforge result). You could optimize this addition by making this comparison only run when the results include an item which has 2 stats has the superior stat reforged away instead of the inferior one.

On a completely unrelated note: Is it possible to make the reforge script run on more than one processor core, or is this a limited by the browser?

Keep up the good work!

Avitus, there an option to lock certain items so they don't get reforged. Using that on the breastplate I get the following result

Setting exact hit and exp caps I get

WoW reforge suggested result

then I reforged all the items that were untouched resulting

All haste reforged.

which nets me 3284.33 effective worth.

which nets me 3284.33 effective worth.

Nice, good work. Better result aside however, the goal here is/I'm actually more interested in fixing the wowreforge algorithm than getting a better individual result.

As your result further proves, there's something ineffective going on when you don't manually tinker, there's room for improvement.

As far as I know, wowreforge.com doesn't use an exhaustive search for the best combination of reforges, but rather stays within close limits of what you've chosen.

There has been tremendous progress in the rogue community regarding reforging tools, maybe some sort of cooperation could be beneficial.

http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t115053-complete_rogue_reforger_tool/

http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t115730-java-based_optimal_rogue_reforging_calculator/

I use this tool frequently to manually plan out how to reforge my gear. I like it quite a bit but the biggest flaw I constantly have to deal with is that there's no obvious way to simply remove a piece of gear. This is annoying when switching between DW and 2h weapons (say I wanted to plan reforging for both DW Frost and 2h Frost), and I usually end up having to find an off-hand with no stats to use in addition to the 2h weapon as a work-around.

Chest: +20 stats, the 20 spirit won't be taken into account for Spirit+Hit restrictions

Bracer: +50 spirit not recognized

Random items from throne of four winds still not in :\

I use this tool frequently to manually plan out how to reforge my gear. I like it quite a bit but the biggest flaw I constantly have to deal with is that there's no obvious way to simply remove a piece of gear. This is annoying when switching between DW and 2h weapons (say I wanted to plan reforging for both DW Frost and 2h Frost), and I usually end up having to find an off-hand with no stats to use in addition to the 2h weapon as a work-around.

This should be easy to fix, I'll sneak that in in the next release.

I assume wowreforge uses some form of recursive algorithm to achieve its results? There needs to be an iteration added where it compares the value of "a reforge that minimizes inferior stats, but includes wasted stats" (my result) to "a reforge that has no wasted stats, but might be leaving inferior stats unchanged on some items" (wowreforge result). You could optimize this addition by making this comparison only run when the results include an item which has 2 stats has the superior stat reforged away instead of the inferior one.

On a completely unrelated note: Is it possible to make the reforge script run on more than one processor core, or is this a limited by the browser?

1. Yes, at this time wowreforge prioritizes correctness of the solution over EP-cost of the reforging (cost is in terms of EP, not gold). I am working on algorithm to do it EP-driven while accounting for cap.

2. Calculations are done in JS (as you figured it out), so I am limited to what browser lets me use. I might be adding a silverlight component to implement calculations, silverlight 1) falter 2) multithreaded (multicor-able).

As far as I know, wowreforge.com doesn't use an exhaustive search for the best combination of reforges, but rather stays within close limits of what you've chosen.

There has been tremendous progress in the rogue community regarding reforging tools, maybe some sort of cooperation could be beneficial.

http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t115053-complete_rogue_reforger_tool/

http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t115730-java-based_optimal_rogue_reforging_calculator/

It does run exhaustive search. The problem is that it tries to get correct solution, not necessarily most EP-efficient (but it does pick most EP-efficient among equally correct ones).

Thanks for the pointers, I'll contact those tools to see if we can cooperate.

--Roman

Chest: +20 stats, the 20 spirit won't be taken into account for Spirit+Hit restrictions

Bracer: +50 spirit not recognized

Random items from throne of four winds still not in :\

Enchants should be fixed now.

Give me couple days for <random enchant> items.

I have added following new features to WoW Reforge Calculator

1. Random enchants are now imported and displayed.

2. There is an option to empty a slot.

3. Score (EP) delta is displayed for each item (to indicate how reforging have affected slot score).

also

Reforgerade (addon) have added support for wowreforge.com It allows you to export reforging result from wowreforge.com into the game.

I have added following new features to WoW Reforge Calculator

1. Random enchants are now imported and displayed.

2. There is an option to empty a slot.

3. Score (EP) delta is displayed for each item (to indicate how reforging have affected slot score).

also

Reforgerade (addon) have added support for wowreforge.com It allows you to export reforging result from wowreforge.com into the game.

WoW Reforge Calculator

The ring from throne of the four winds is not recognised for me, or just a display thing?

The ring from throne of the four winds is not recognised for me, or just a display thing?

I have added new seed value, I hope there is a limited number of those blizzard uses. Apparently my theory about seeds was wrong, so many random enchantment items do not show up properly.

I have added new seed value, I hope there is a limited number of those blizzard uses. Please let me know if you see anything else missing.

Works now, nice :)

As a elemental shaman i use SimulationCraft to calc my dps/eps and select gear from there and further forward. In simulation craft there is a calculated EP where there is links to Lootrank with the EPs from the calculation.

A suggestion would be if you could have the same kind of EP export to wowreforge to calculate your correct reforges from a EP perspective you just calculated with SimC.

As a elemental shaman i use SimulationCraft to calc my dps/eps and select gear from there and further forward. In simulation craft there is a calculated EP where there is links to Lootrank with the EPs from the calculation.

A suggestion would be if you could have the same kind of EP export to wowreforge to calculate your correct reforges from a EP perspective you just calculated with SimC.

If wowreforge supports scalefactors communicated via an encoded link, I will be happy to add it to SimC export.

If wowreforge supports scalefactors communicated via an encoded link, I will be happy to add it to SimC export.

Or they could reuse either pawn or rhadatip to avoid excessively flooding it (there are at least 3 optimizers besides this and my own in this forum section, and others could come up in the future).