Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Narcosleepy

Hunter Simple Questions / Simple Answers: Cataclysm Edition

356 posts in this topic

Similar to shots hitting another mob when your target dies, has anyone had this happen with their pet? I've been using my fox (Ashtail) and sometimes after a mob dies he runs off in a random direction and aggroes something, or even attacks it. I kept him on passive after he did it in an instance last night, although the mob he attacked had not attacked me.

Foxes are killing critters at the moment, so it could be that it went to kill one and proximity-aggro'd something else.

Foxes are killing critters at the moment, so it could be that it went to kill one and proximity-aggro'd something else.

And just to add to this, the reason foxes are killing critters is because tailspin is an aoe debuff that puts the critters on their threat list, and because critters don't attack, they flee. This seems like a new issue because now pets have AoE debuffs that do zero damage, whereas pre-revamp the pets would have just instantly killed critters with the damage from whatever their AoE family ability was.

Bears will do this also, with demoralizing roar. Some critters will get the debuff and high-tail it somewhere, so when the bear is done attacking its real target it runs in a seemingly random direction but really it is just chasing a frightened critter.

I should have mentioned that I do have the "Stop Auto Attack" option checked. The problem is, that if the targeted mob dies mid cast you auto target the next closest mob and your cast continues, or an auto shot fires off. I can for the most part control a cobra shot when a mob dies mid cast, but many times an auto shot still fires off. This is very troublesome when it breaks CC.

The other techniques I use to mitigate this are:

• Stand far back so that additional groups are out of range.
  • Position so that my frontal cone does not include additional groups.
  • When KS is available on a target, spam the two KS (which won't retarget to targets >20%), and deliberately switch targets. Most mobs won't survive to get another pair of KS, so I'd rather get the careful aim buff on the next target.

These are certainly situational (and the merchants and camels vortex are a pain), but where they apply they help a lot, and part of good technique is to make these situations happen. Make sure that your KS macro doesn't include /startattack of /use !auto shot, since that will change targets and start shooting. I will try the "/use [exists,nodead,harm]" suggestion earlier to enable spamming of AS in the <20% case without risk of retargeting.

A quick question about clipping Explosive Shot during Lock and Load: Is it impossible to clip an ES if you cast anything with a GCD in between? I'm thinking that since ES lasts two seconds and the ES GCD plus another GCD is also two seconds it should therefore be safe to cast, say, ES -> BA -> ES -> SrS -> ES as fast as humanly possible. I'd just appreciate some peace of mind when I actually do this because I find it hard to tell whether I'm clipping in these situations.

Your logic is correct, except for the fact that you have to account for travel time. Thus, if you spam these abilities in a fight where you and the boss are completely stationary, you're fine. However, in a 0 latency situation, if the boss move towards you at all, you end up clipping the last tick of Explosive Shot. Best way is to just wait a slight beat before casting it after your filler shot during a LnL proc.

Hi folks,

I have a few questions for which I did not find any answer yet by searching a bit in several forums.

Since the 4.0.x, I were not able to set the following helps to ease my DPS rotation:

- no way to be able to update my old macro sending my pet while placing the mark on the target...

/pet attack or /launch pet attack or /cast pet attack... ??? no way to use it in a macro. I am presently obliged to set a short cut to the pet attack button bar ... This macro is very helpful to change target during the combat.

- I have not been able to set power aura in order to watch the cooldown of my kill command either by setting the surveillance of the "availability" of the action or the associated cooldown

- Is it possible to set a macro to stop the cobra shot to be able to interrupt the target casting

a /stopcasting in my macro do not stop my cobra shot...

If someone could help me for this specific points or one of these; you are welcome.

It is my first post in this forum thus I hope I am not too much out of subject since it is much more questions about add-on or macro.

thanks for this forum anyhow.

Z

1) The macro line you'll want is just /petattack. IE:

/petattack

/cast Hunter's Mark

2) It may be that your Power Auras is having difficulties. I had to reload my UI every time I created a new aura recently for them to start showing/triggering properly. The 'action usable' option should work with Kill Command.

3) Try two lines of /stopcasting. It's the only way I've seen it work since BC. I have the following macro that works to interrupt Steady/Cobra and cast Feign Death:

#showtooltip

/stopcasting

/stopcasting

/cast Feign Death

What are your thoughts of Goblin and their racials for Hunter DPS?

Which one of Orc, Troll and Goblin gives the best racials for increasing your DPS?

What are your thoughts of Goblin and their racials for Hunter DPS?

Which one of Orc, Troll and Goblin gives the best racials for increasing your DPS?

Orc > Goblin > Troll in that order regardless of weapon type.

Concerning secondary stat balancing: has anyone perhaps come up with a ratio or some target values one should be aiming for in order to have an optimal set up when looking at Crit/Haste/Mastery (once Hit Rating is capped of course)?

My reasoning behind a ratio or certain target values is as follows:

Taking MM as an example, we've seen that technically Mastery is the "best" and Haste the "worst" secondary stat when looking at increasing DPS. However, crippling one's Haste in order to boost Mastery and/or Crit severely lengthens the cast time of one's Steady Shots which in turn affects one's Focus regeneration and increases the likelihood of the cast being interrupted during a boss fight, ergo affecting both Focus regen and DPS. So my thinking in the case of MM is that one should aim for a certain amount of Haste in order to keep Steady Shot at a reasonable cast time which should help DPS overall.

Thoughts?

And just to add to this, the reason foxes are killing critters is because tailspin is an aoe debuff that puts the critters on their threat list, and because critters don't attack, they flee. This seems like a new issue because now pets have AoE debuffs that do zero damage, whereas pre-revamp the pets would have just instantly killed critters with the damage from whatever their AoE family ability was.

Bears will do this also, with demoralizing roar. Some critters will get the debuff and high-tail it somewhere, so when the bear is done attacking its real target it runs in a seemingly random direction but really it is just chasing a frightened critter.

This explanation makes perfect sense with any "debuff" pet but I've had my wolf ("buff" pet) perform the very same "run at a tangent and aggro an extra pack" as well on more than one occasion for no apparent reason; he definitely wasn't feared I made sure of that. Not saying you're incorrect, but would love to find an explanation behind my wolf's behaviour.

Another pet AI oddity/bug I've noticed is my pets randomly acting like they're on passive at times (while set to defensive) since 4.01. For example, if I'm soloing a group of mobs, all aggroed to my pet, frequently after my pets current target dies, he will start running back to me a ways before turning to the mobs, usually pulling them out of explosive trap.

Another pet AI oddity/bug I've noticed is my pets randomly acting like they're on passive at times (while set to defensive) since 4.01. For example, if I'm soloing a group of mobs, all aggroed to my pet, frequently after my pets current target dies, he will start running back to me a ways before turning to the mobs, usually pulling them out of explosive trap.

I've noticed this too. It used to be that when a pet was on defensive, any pet you attacked - or that attacked your pet - would be added to your pet's list, but now, when your pet's current target dies, it starts running back to you regardless. You'll have to shoot something else or get hit by something else (you or your pet) for your pet to react again.

Anyone else noticed Magmaw tends to one-shot hunter pets for no obvious reason?

This happened in both our kills and all tries up to now. He just melees the pet for about 250k during the fight and it dies.

Since none of our melee DDs had that issue I can not imagine that it has something to do with tank positioning.

Any ideas?

This happened in both our kills and all tries up to now. He just melees the pet for about 250k during the fight and it dies.

Since none of our melee DDs had that issue I can not imagine that it has something to do with tank positioning.

Any ideas?

It may when he falls on to the spike, he crushes the pet?

Any ideas?

From what my guild has been able to determine, there seems to be a very short amount of time between when Magmaw spits out the main tank and when the main tank goes back on the threat list. In that very short window of time, Magmaw will take a swipe at a nearby high threat target. It sounds like your attempts are lucky in that the pets are eating those, we have them happen regularly to both our hunter pets and melee DPS.

I'm not sure if that is accurate, but that is our current theory. Consider pulling your pet back when the boss pulls his head off the spike until the MT has picked the boss back up, so your pet is out of melee range.

Taking MM as an example, we've seen that technically Mastery is the "best" and Haste the "worst" secondary stat when looking at increasing DPS. However, crippling one's Haste in order to boost Mastery and/or Crit severely lengthens the cast time of one's Steady Shots which in turn affects one's Focus regeneration and increases the likelihood of the cast being interrupted during a boss fight, ergo affecting both Focus regen and DPS. So my thinking in the case of MM is that one should aim for a certain amount of Haste in order to keep Steady Shot at a reasonable cast time which should help DPS overall.

I've been playing around with Zeherah's Hunter DPS Analyzer and found the MM stat weighting to be: Agility > Hit (to cap) [Haste] > Crit > Mastery > [Haste]. Mastery doesn't catch up to crit until about 44% crit.

Haste is weird. There are certain break points based on your gear where your focus generation, cooldowns and latency line up smoothly. The value of haste is really really good when your not at these breakpoints and drastically plummets once you are.

How extensive was your analysis?

Using my current gear and gemming set up I used the custom buffs section to graph the affect of haste against the dps output by the calculation. I only used the hunter dps, since I'm mostly concerned with seeing the affects of haste on the rotation, and I expected to have a major impact at certain values. What I found is that, while there are small anomalous dips in dps at certain values of haste, for the most part those dips are small, and a small amount of additional haste easily overcomes the loss. In the end I think these dips are small enough, and due to the nature of the spreadsheet calculation, that most players will not be able to play precisely enough to notice them and will instead see a smooth increase in dps due to haste.

Of course I leveraged Rivkah's calculator for all of my data, and any underlying errors in the calculation negates my analysis. I also assumed that the calculator does a decent job of predicting shot sequences, and, looking at the shot sim output, I believe that it does.

Edit: formatting and assumptions

Edit2: I see you said MM. This analysis was conducted for SV.

Hello

It's been a long time since I posted here, not having played WoW for quite some time.

Anyway, my question is regarding autoshot interrupts, clipping or delays (I forget what it was called exactly now) as happened back in the day. It used to be that you would need to time your special shots in between autoshots so as not to delay your autoshot and cause it to fire later than it should have. This reduced DPS. I've been playing with the addon Quartz to see if this still happens (in BM spec using CoS as the special), and it seems that it doesnt. It seems that the autoshot is now separate from specials, but I just wanted to get confirmation on that. The reason I want confirmation is that sometimes the animation makes it look like the autoshot gets interrupted. For example, if I use Kill Command close to when an autoshot is about to fire, the animation makes it look like the autoshot is delayed. I cant quite tell though, and it may just be my high latency.

Appreciate any help.

I've been playing around with Zeherah's Hunter DPS Analyzer and found the MM stat weighting to be: Agility > Hit (to cap) [Haste] > Crit > Mastery > [Haste]. Mastery doesn't catch up to crit until about 44% crit.

Haste is weird. There are certain break points based on your gear where your focus generation, cooldowns and latency line up smoothly. The value of haste is really really good when your not at these breakpoints and drastically plummets once you are.

Yep that is pretty much correct. However, here is the full list as I do it:

Range DPS >> agi > hit = 2 AP > crit > mastery > haste >> stamina

Agility is now better than hit since:

1) agi => 2.42 AP and 0.607 crit rating when fully buffed

2) hit rating has been diluted by about a factor of 3.5 while our DPS is not even twice as good yet, resulting in the value of hit rating being less than it was in Wrath relatively

For the 3 secondary stats (crit, mastery, and haste), the general order is as listed but they can change depending on the situation. Haste is the most fickle of them all.

As a summary from a MM guide I had made, my recommendation for haste for MM hunters is to have between 5.4% and 12.9% from gear and Pathing when assuming ISS and 10% raid buff. The 5.4% is the floor level required to have a 1.5s SS cast time to allow 2 extra shots per CS cycle. You probably want at least a little extra haste above that to account for inefficiencies. The 12.9% is the soft ceiling due to the soft cap from your SS cast time being at the GCD during RF. Any haste above that has diminished value.

At the lower gear levels we have currently, MMs seem to be better off hovering a little over the haste floor and generally reforging mastery to obtain any hit deficit.

Hello

It's been a long time since I posted here, not having played WoW for quite some time.

Anyway, my question is regarding autoshot interrupts, clipping or delays (I forget what it was called exactly now) as happened back in the day. It used to be that you would need to time your special shots in between autoshots so as not to delay your autoshot and cause it to fire later than it should have. This reduced DPS. I've been playing with the addon Quartz to see if this still happens (in BM spec using CoS as the special), and it seems that it doesnt. It seems that the autoshot is now separate from specials, but I just wanted to get confirmation on that. The reason I want confirmation is that sometimes the animation makes it look like the autoshot gets interrupted. For example, if I use Kill Command close to when an autoshot is about to fire, the animation makes it look like the autoshot is delayed. I cant quite tell though, and it may just be my high latency.

Appreciate any help.

Auto Shot was unlinked from Steady with WotLK, and Cobra follows the same mechanics. Auto isn't interrupted or held up by any instant shots or abilities except that it has a hidden short cast time, necessitating a noted pause during movement for it to fire off successfully.

Sorry to ask again, but I've still not seen an answer. Can someone clarify the details of the lock and load internal cooldown? I've managed to proc it twice in relatively close succession which made me question my current understanding of it.

Related to LnL, sometimes I've noticed what seems to be a bug where LNL procs, but explosive shot is on cooldown. Do many others come across this?

I've seen this question asked, but could not find an answer. Are mastery percentage fractions being rounded down? meaning 14.24% is same as 14.00% elemental damage for sv for example, or is it just not displayed properly?

I've seen this question asked, but could not find an answer. Are mastery percentage fractions being rounded down? meaning 14.24% is same as 14.00% elemental damage for sv for example, or is it just not displayed properly?

It's just not displaying properly.

I'm a bit surprised seeing the number of hunters who have 277 T10 pieces using 333 or 346 blues over them - the 4pc is easily replaced, but for my character on femaledwarf at least, I've yet to find a combination of two blues that net a DPS gain over keeping two pieces of T10, simply because the 2pc set bonus is worth 650-700 dps on its own, and scales up as your other gear improves. In some cases even a 264 tier piece to maintain the set bonus outdoes a 333 (not 346) piece.

I can replace it with 359 gear, but I still see hunters replacing it with 346, which is puzzling. I admittedly haven't looked at all 346 gear available, so perhaps I'm just in an awkward situation (hit 85 recently, haven't got too much choice per slot other than the vendor 346s).

On the off chance that someone else has been through this, could someone who is choosing to bank his 277 2pc in favour of two 346 pieces post his reasoning? Is there some hidden diminishment of the proc at level 85 that the calculator isn't accounting for? It certainly seems to proc just as often as it did at 80.

I'm a bit surprised seeing the number of hunters who have 277 T10 pieces using 333 or 346 blues over them - the 4pc is easily replaced, but for my character on femaledwarf at least, I've yet to find a combination of two blues that net a DPS gain over keeping two pieces of T10, simply because the 2pc set bonus is worth 650-700 dps on its own, and scales up as your other gear improves. In some cases even a 264 tier piece to maintain the set bonus outdoes a 333 (not 346) piece.

I can replace it with 359 gear, but I still see hunters replacing it with 346, which is puzzling. I admittedly haven't looked at all 346 gear available, so perhaps I'm just in an awkward situation (hit 85 recently, haven't got too much choice per slot other than the vendor 346s).

On the off chance that someone else has been through this, could someone who is choosing to bank his 277 2pc in favour of two 346 pieces post his reasoning? Is there some hidden diminishment of the proc at level 85 that the calculator isn't accounting for? It certainly seems to proc just as often as it did at 80.

For my MM spec, the best I could get replacing any 2 T10-277 pieces over the 346 pieces I have was +27 DPS, and that was with using the better gems and enchants as I use for the 346 pieces. Now with realizing that many of those better enchants have a 300 ilevel restriction and cannot be used on 277 gear (which Female Dwarf does not prevent us doing), the best result is probably a wash for me.

Things may be different with an SV spec though, such as you have.

One factor in your favor is that you are Draenei and get the 1% hit bonus. For those of us not Draenei, needing that extra 120 hit rating is probably enough to favor the higher ilevel pieces with more hit naturally or with more other stats for reforging to hit. Of course, once I get Fluid Death and have plenty of hit, maybe it would favor the T10-277 pieces.

Finally, some of us, myself included, did not have T10-277, so your situation does not apply for us and using the 346 pieces over the T10-264 is much better.