Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tyrian

Cataclysm Fire Mage Compendium

784 posts in this topic

I have just removed the last 40 posts from this thread. Here's to hoping useful conversation resumes. Apologies for the delay in handling things and having the thread completely derailed. Thanks for your patience.

I had a question about combustion mechanics, with regard to when combustion will perform it's summing of dot effects. I'm currently having issues testing this for myself due to latency problems, but on my client when I cast combustion, it will have a slight delay (usually under 1s) before the combustion debuff appears on the target. If I have dots that fall off in the time between my pressing the button and the combustion dot appearing, do those dots contribute to the combustion? How do you all account for this "travel time" of sorts, if it is at all detrimental?

Both the Pyroblast and the DoT have been nerfed but both portions of Pyro's nerf make up the total 6%.

Looks like this has now changed in that the direct damage has been nerfed by 6% but not the DoT portion.

Source: US patch notes.

I read the Ignite Munching section and was disappointed that it didn't mention the most beneficial time to cast Combustion in relation to the breathe of Ignite. What I mean by that is assuming you already have Living Bomb and Pyroblast up, when Ignite first is applied and then to the end of it's duration is there a time where it is best to cast Combustion? As soon as possible or at the end of the Ignite tick?

I would think it would be closer to the front if you haven't had crit's before Ignite proc's (based on the explanation of Ignite munching) and better to cast it at the end if there's been several crits before Ignite.

What do you think?

is there a time where it is best to cast Combustion? As soon as possible or at the end of the Ignite tick?

I don't think I understand it correct. Ignite munching does not really have an effect on your combustion. Ideally you want a big ignite-DoT rolling on the target, and munching only "overrides" other ignites, it doesn't affect combustion.

On a different note, I have seen people reporting fire blast not spreading fire DoT's under the impact-proc as early as 2010. Is this issue still not fixed? I can't get it to work properly, and I made an in-game ticket about it, though I don't think something will be done if it hasn't yet.

If you're getting munched while trying to get a big Ignite for Combustion, it will. Otherwise, no.

If you are trying to Impact Combustion, you have to wait a sec for Combustion to actually show up on the target first. There's a slight delay and with Combustion off the GCD, it's possible to pop Impact immediately after hitting Combustion, but before it shows up as a DOT to be spread. Any other instance of Impact failing is either a range/hitbox problem or a bug.

Guromin has offered to take over and update a new Mage Fire thread. If you have any suggestions or advice on what should be included, send a PM to him here. Once done, this thread (with an outdated OP and no longer maintained - I quit raiding a while ago) can be closed.

As Tyrian mentioned I am working on updating this thread. I wish I knew exactly when it will be finished, but I don't know for certain. I am allocating all of my free time to update the OP and I will likely have it finished within a week or two.

As Tyrian also mentioned, I am currently open to suggestions. Anyone with advice as to what should be added, changed or removed may feel free to send me a private message. I've already taken care of the obvious, but I would like to add additional information regarding Ignite Munching and Stacking. If there is anyone who is willing and capable of assisting in writing this section it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your patience and advice as the thread undergoes construction.