Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zeldyrr

Frost Mage Discussion [Cataclysm]

137 posts in this topic

I've just started testing the change of rotation posted during the PTR phase of this tier earlier, but from what I'm seeing I think its going to be a very large difference in dps to not double FFO. There are quite a lot of wasted brain freezes with the 4 piece. Currently the rotation im testing is as follows:

FBolt/Pet attack + Trinket macro

Pet Freeze

Deep Freeze

FFO

Icy Veins

Mirror Image

Cold Snap

Deep Freeze

FBolt until FFO ends then 2nd FFO.

Man, this thread gets so little love...

Just picked up 4pcT12 last night, and am wondering what others' experience and best practice with it is. Are you dumping BF as soon as it pops, or are you maintaining a "largely the same" rotation with just a larger percentage of damage coming from BF w/FoF?

I get the sense that it will feel more like the Staghelm opening salvo and I'll be pushed from 45-50% Frostbolt damage down to 35-40%, with BF picking up most of that slack.

Thoughts?

I play frost in T12H (3/7) content and I am quite fond of it, although the numbers are a little bit smaller than for arcane. However, we are no hardcore raid and I still do competitive damage and find it much more fun to play, but your mileage may vary. At least mobility is a little bit better for frost, so the difference in dps to arcane is probably smaller than what SimC calculates for Patchwork fights.

At least for my gear I checked SimC and using BF immediately is more dps than keeping it for FoF.

Also I rawr'ed DF/FFB/MA and DF/FFB/FrB glyph setups and the former is ahead by about 200dps for respectively optimized gearsets. Please keep in mind that when using SimC with frost that it is indeed using FrB as filler. The standard action list with DF/FFB/MA still has FFB as filler, which is a loss of about 2k dps.

I just see your issue on SimC and you have made a mistake. You used the Frostfire's profile instead of the Frost one.

For the glyph case with T12, it's a difficult choice:

• MA's glyph is better on single target fight with +2% crit for all spell but -3% for FB.
  • FB's glyph is good on a boss +2 add type fight because of Piercing Chill.

4.3 will be released in a few weeks now (PTR built marked as releases), we have to see how the 4pcT13 work and what will be it's influence (glyph, rotation, etc). On the last built, Iv have it's cooldown reduced by 15s for each stack of Stolen Time. It's means that it's CD will be reduce to 0 when we obtain the 10th stacks. The game play will change to 2 phases: stacking buff (for 17s to 34s) and a burst phase. With this much haste, we will burn a lot of mana so we will have to see if we can continue with Molten Armor + Evocation or if we will have to switch from Molten Armor to Mage Armor..

edit> For those who think that IV will bring us under GCD, we will have to reforge Haste to cap it at 25% raid buffed (50%/20% = 25%). So we will have to obtain 16.71% (2139.83) haste from gear so I don't see a problem here.

Even with a very poor DPS, we could think about stat weight.

With the T13 stuff, we can soft capping both Haste and Crit.

• Crit < 900 (837 with T13H)
  • Haste = 2140 (1993 for goblin)

Further Haste will bring all instant under GCD with Icy Veins.

I'd like to point out something interesting about this spec since I assume most people haven't seen it in raiding lately: By running a LFR for fun without changing from frost spec PvP, I noticed something peculiarly advantageous in Hagara: The few seconds it gives with x 2 damage in the beginning of a phase, are especially suited for frost since its medium burst does not need any build up. Arcane is theoretically higher burst in PvE, however it needs to build up 4 stacks (of AB) to be optimal. Frost can go immediately to a Deep Freeze and perhaps a few Ice Lances or Frostfires.

Now, I do not know if that would give it an advantage in overall, but it might be worth a look for further scrutiny.

Even with a very poor DPS, we could think about stat weight.

With the T13 stuff, we can soft capping both Haste and Crit.

• Crit < 900 (837 with T13H)
  • Haste = 2140 (1993 for goblin)

Further Haste will bring all instant under GCD with Icy Veins.

Is this assuming 2/3 or 3/3 NWP?

With the 30% nerf rolling in a couple weeks ago I decided to begin experimenting with frost. I know there aren't a lot of us... :P but I was hoping there might be some floating around to spark up some discussions about this under-played spec.

I'm not 100% sure how strong spreading ignite/FFB dot is, but I've been running a 0/9/31 build including impact, over getting 2% haste in arcane. Coming from playing fire and the good ol' DoT spreading, I was wondering if anyone could persuade me otherwise. :P

The biggest problem I see is when you're spreading FFB on most fights other than Yor'Sahj (presuming you hard-cast FFB to ensure it's still rolling on the boss) you will be spreading ignite + 1 stack of FFB, and not a 3 stack.

However it should still provide more dps, particularly on madness thanks to additional spellweave procs from the DoT on the bloods.

Another thing I have been doing is hard-casting FFB around 4.5 seconds remaining on the DoT to ensure it gets refreshed without dropping the 3 stacks.

The most irritating part of frost so far has been wipes, where the overly long cooldown of Cold Snap isn't ready in-between fights, stopping you from being able to use it twice on most fights. Luckily, with all these nerfs, wipes don't exactly happen too often.

In 5.0.4, the crit suppression has been confirmed: -1% by level difference.

For the Shatter cap, it have been precised how it work:

(base_crit - crit_reduction) x2 +50%

So for 100% crit on a boss (-3% crit), the shatter cap is 28%.