Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snowy

Priest Simple Questions/Simple Answers: Cataclysm

366 posts in this topic

I'm a shadow priest main, disc offspec. I've mostly ignored the offspec, but will need to heal for heroic morchok.

My question is, with regards to discipline gearing, should I be reforging to get my haste, mastery, and crit ratings as equal as possible? Currently my haste is much, much higher than mastery, which is in turn sizably higher than crit.

Thanks for any clarification.

Haste is fine, as long as you're not running oom you could probably get by with any gearing set for Morchok. Disc is really strong at solo healing a side on 10 as well, but if you're at all worried about your performance healing, it's very easy to 3 or 4 heal to ensure you have a safety net. If you end up healing more frequently, you may want to adjust your reforges depending on what you find yourself doing most frequently. As a super short reference (oversimplification alert) haste/crit are preferred for poh, and mastery for pws heavy techniques.

My main is a rogue but I've quite enjoyed levelling up my priest as disc focusing on atonement healing and I am wondering about the best choice of addon to track effects on the MT like Grace (e.g. if incoming damage is going to be really high I penance and shield the MT then fire/smite spam but try to keep grace stacked + shields on when possible....and tracking that is not currently easy for me.

As a rogue I use Rogue power bars and this works pretty well even on my priest to track effects on me and on enemy mobs but it does not track (in bar format - which is what I am after) buffs I have on my friendly targets. Ideally I would track Grace, Shield and shield CD, renew, aegis, power torrent and probably a few other things my noob healer skills don't know about.

Any tips on the best addon for priest to track my friendly effects in bar format on my friendly targets (usually MT)?

Dotimer's Player Auras will track buffs/debuffs in a bar format. Can assign it to track your focus.

Personally I use Shadowed Unit Frames (and Grid) to display Weakened Soul and Grace on my focus frame (Tank).

Most click to heal addons like grid have a way to implement this as well. You'll just have to add the buff to the addon and make it display that. You can display about 7 things on different parts of the square for a person in grid. You'll just have to remember what is what.

For a priest that's healing mostly Heroic 5 mans, and the occasional 10. What wins in the Disc vs Holy debate?

I've been gone quite a long time, and I raided as disc pre-Cata quite extensively.

I had the exact same problem as you, and ultimately went with holy. I'm not really sure why, but it was much easier to do dungeons than as disc. The only ones I had problem with were Grim Batol and Stonecore; Vortex Pinnacle was also much easier as disc. Again, I can't say why it was easier, but I found myself running out of mana less, the heals being more efficient, and everything was just much easier as holy. Pre-Cata I was much more experienced as holy than as disc, so that could be it, but I can't say for certain.

For a priest that's healing mostly Heroic 5 mans, and the occasional 10. What wins in the Disc vs Holy debate?

I've been gone quite a long time, and I raided as disc pre-Cata quite extensively.

It really comes down to preferred play style for me. As disc I notice I run oom a lot faster than when I spec holy. However, I feel more comfortable with disc because I raid healed as disc pre-cata. IMO, disc is great when the damage is consistent in a group or predictable. However, it does not have the raw power behind it as holy does. Then again holy may be versatile but its heals are a bit slow for my taste. In conclusion, try disc for a few heroics and then switch to holy so you can see which one you are more comfortable with.

Hope this helps!

-Star

I dont know if it was gear or what, but I bought 2 t12 peices and the boe JP bracers and queued for a heroic.

Got SFK, and couldnt even keep the tank up. I dont know if it was him or me, but that's never ever happened to me before. And I've kept up some pretty awful tanks during Wrath. I'm probably going to try Holy out once I get some better gear, and see what I like.

Is it still a matter of Disc being better for single target heals, and Holy better for raid healing?

Telendaria: Since we can assume you weren't trying to heal on your hunter it's kind of hard to say what went wrong. Decently geared and talented, both disc and holy are more than capable of healing any of the launch Cata heroics. That said, Wrath heroics are orders of magnitude easier to heal than Cataclysm heroics, so success in Wrath heroics isn't much of an indicator.

Logs or more details about how you were geared and what you were trying to do would be useful if you have some specific questions.

OK, so I just have to put it out there again.... Holy vs Disc.... Which one are people thinking is the best atm? I've been running as holy on my priest and getting out healed in DS and Firelands consistently by disc priests. Now granted they are runnin with ilvl 390+ gear and I'm still at 385, but they still shouldn't be out healin my by 2-10k hps. I average 10-15k hps but I keep seein them put out 14-22k hps on a regular basis. Any thoughts? My priest is Nymaeis -- Frostwolf Nymaeis @ Frostwolf - Game Guide - World of Warcraft

As always that discussion will lead to no real conclusion since there is none.

What you play should depend on the needs of your raid, your other healing mates and what you like the most. If you feel comfortable with the specc you play then try to get better with it. Maybe you could optimize your gear by reforging or regemming, maybe you could get less regen and more throughput stats and see if you still feel comfortable and get through the fights.

The only thing I will say is this: I personally, maybe more so because of the fact that I raid in a 10 man environment where every dmg reduction raid cd is quite valueable, like disc a lot more. With my gear (near BiS, 409) I can reforge out of every bit of spirit and due to rapture still be fine on the mana front.

Also what is one of the biggest differences between disc and holy: smiting is worth it as a disc^^ On many fights 2 healers would be enough but certain situations "require", or let's say are easier with, 3 healers. I was smiting so much in the current tier and the smart heal through atonement will always help picking up the lowest target and then grant you with archangel for the crucial part where you are needed.

The only occasion where I was holy for dragon soul progression was during ultraxion, because we needed guardian spirit as an additional cooldown for soaking, but otherwise I just prefer pw barrier and a weaker once per fight hymn over the 3 minute hymn holy has to offer.

But as I already said, thats just my opinion and people should stick with what they like the most!

Should you delay a SW:P or VT re-application if something like Mind Blast (or a FDCL Mind Spike) is available even if it means SW:P or VT will fall off before you can finish the MB/MSp and then re-apply the DoT?

Should you delay a SW:P or VT re-application if something like Mind Blast (or a FDCL Mind Spike) is available even if it means SW:P or VT will fall off before you can finish the MB/MSp and then re-apply the DoT?

According to Omanko in the [Priests 5.0.4] thread:

DPx3 > MB > SW: D (sub 20%) > SF/MBen > FDCL > SW:P > VT > MF

So, yes, you should delay re-application sometimes. There is more discussion in that thread for exceptions to this general priority.

Thanks for quoting me, but take such lists with a grain of salt, and copious amounts of brain.

MB shouldn't be delayed, that much is true, to maximize the number of Orbs.

An FDCL proc however is a bit of a different matter. The proc has a decent time window as well as a stacking mechanic. That means there is no immediate need to spend a MSp most of the time, so you can just refresh your dots first, then fire off the Spike. That, however, is contingent on various other factors as well, such as imminent damage buffs, fight-specific mechanics, or your other cooldowns. You also do not want to risk getting a stack of FDCL when you're already at 2, thus wasting it. And then there's also the MSp glyph to consider, which you may want to align so that it's up for when MB comes off CD, and many other scenarios that one can come up with and which will also change your priorities.

Juggling our spells properly is a major part of skillful play. With a little experience you'll soon get a feel for what to do when, but there's also cases where such ad hoc decisions can be difficult to make 100% correctly. So, rather than follow some list I or anyone else posts, understand the logic behind it, try to incorporate that into your play, and make your decisions based on that, not a static list.