Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snowy

Priest Simple Questions/Simple Answers: Cataclysm

366 posts in this topic

Enchants for chest include 15 Stats and 20 Stats. Does this enchant increase spirit too? Spirit is no longer increased by Motw/Kings so it may be considered to be a sort of "rating" stat now.

Do the NH and HC versions of Tear of Blood share an inner CD?

Because having two of those seem to be best in slot for me, as you never know that you will be needing the spellpower / haste / crit / whatnot proc from other trinkets.

It IS, however, guaranteed that you will be making use of SPI procs, as additional mana will be sitting in your manapool until used.

I recall looting the heroic 346 verion and tried equpping them both and got the text message "Only one version of Tears of Blood item may be equipped at a time" or someting along those lines. May need a bit more confirmation though

The new normal/heroic blues use the same system that ICC trinkets and rings used, i.e. you couldn't use a normal and heroic DFO. So yeah, you can only use one version of Tears of Blood.

Has anyone found a Holy Word: Serenity mouseover macro that works?

The normal '/cast [target=mouseover,exists] Holy Word: Serenity' does not work for me.

in the Holy Compendium thread near the bottom in the macros section is a good explanation on how it works.

Do the NH and HC versions of Tear of Blood share an inner CD?

Because having two of those seem to be best in slot for me, as you never know that you will be needing the spellpower / haste / crit / whatnot proc from other trinkets.

It IS, however, guaranteed that you will be making use of SPI procs, as additional mana will be sitting in your manapool until used.

The "Tear of Blood" name is Unique-Equip. You can't have 2 of them whether normal or heroic. You could save up your Valor points and get the Core of Ripeness, collect cards for Darkmoon Card: Tsunami, or do archaeology for Tyrande's Favorite Doll as similar options for a 2nd trinket.

There are also many trinkets that have Spirit as the main stat in case you are needing more regen.

Does anyone here use Healbot? I have been having trouble getting Healbot to let me use Holy Word: Serenity. I know someone asked about the mouse-over macro for Serenity but I use Healbot and have been trouble with it as well. If I set it to cast Holy Word: Serenity, then it doesn't do anything. If I set it to cast Hold Word: Chastise, then when I am in Chakra: Heal, it says "That spell has not been learned." Not sure if I should just email the person that made the addon or not.

I use "PoM Tracker" it's on Curse, I believe it's out of date, but it still works fine for me. It does a good job of watching PoM, pretty much the only thing it doesn't do is let you know when the CD is up.

Not sure which one you're using, There are 2 on curse, the original that has been there since BC and another that someone decided to create and use the same exact name. PoM Tracker on curse is out of date but Prayer of Mending Tracker is current and working, I know because i'm the author :p

And I really want to smack whoever created/named and posted that other one.

Apology in advance if I am making a mistake somewhere in my calculation. According to the Holy thread, this formula for Spirit Regen is given: Spirit Regen = Sqrt(Intellect) * Spirit *.016725

Looking at my Armory values: Int = 4816, Spirit = 2133. The armory listed mana regen is 3505.

However, when I plugged these values into Excel, the mana regen from it is 2475.71. Am I doing something wrong or is the coefficient incorrect?

The reason I ask this in the first place is that I want to compare the 3 healing trinkets: Core of Ripeness, Tsunami DMC, and Tyrande's Favorite Doll (possibly Fall of Mortality too but I don't know the proc rate for it).

Core of Ripeness averages to 321 spirit assuming you start it at the beginning of the fight and always use it whenever it is up.

Tsunami DMC = 400 spirit. Unsure if you can keep the stack rolling, since each spell has a chance to refresh the stack; not guaranteed.

Tyrande's Favorite Doll. 4200 mana refund every minute -> 350 mp5.

So what is better? 321 spirits or 350 mp5.

Does anyone here use Healbot? I have been having trouble getting Healbot to let me use Holy Word: Serenity. I know someone asked about the mouse-over macro for Serenity but I use Healbot and have been trouble with it as well. If I set it to cast Holy Word: Serenity, then it doesn't do anything. If I set it to cast Hold Word: Chastise, then when I am in Chakra: Heal, it says "That spell has not been learned." Not sure if I should just email the person that made the addon or not.

I was having the same problem too, so I checked the holy priest compendium and got this solution.

First, You have to place Holy Word: Chastise on one of your bars.

Copy the following code :

/run local f = GetMouseFocus(); if f then DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(f:GetName()) end
While hovering your mouse over Holy Word: Chastise which you just put on the bar, hit enter, paste the code that you just copied and hit enter again. In your chat log, a specific code will pop up displaying the exact location of which bar and which button you placed your Holy Word: Chastise on. Write this down exactly as written in your chat log. Ex: MultiBarBottomLeftButton1 Next step, make a macro and place it wherever you want on your bars, probably next to Holy Word: Chastise would work out pretty well. Copy and past the following text into the macro box:
/tar [@mouseover,exists]

/click MultiBarBottomLeftButton1

/targetlasttarget
(Replace the MultiBarBottomLeftButton1 with whichever the button bar was from the previous step) Then assign this to a key macro. ReCopy the code
/run local f = GetMouseFocus(); if f then DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(f:GetName()) end

over the new macro, copy down the spell location and use that too find were it is in your key bindings menu. Make sure you attach your key binding to the macro and NOT holy word: Chastise.

What the macro does is casts whatever spell is in MultiBarBottomLeftButton1 for example, on whoever you have moused over. And when you hover your mouse over someones health bar in healbot, it's basicaly like mousing over their character.

So anyways, I have my macro keybinded to "F" because its easy to reach by my AWSD keys, so when I'm in my serenity chakra state, all I have to do is hit F while hovering over the players health bar in healbot to heal them just like I would with a regular click combination.

Also, be sure not to move chastise from the spot that you have written in your macro, or else it will cast whichever spell you have move in it's instead of the spell that you want.

Hope this works out for you!

Spirit Regen = Sqrt(Intellect) * Spirit *.016725

Looking at my Armory values: Int = 4816, Spirit = 2133. The armory listed mana regen is 3505.

However, when I plugged these values into Excel, the mana regen from it is 2475.71. Am I doing something wrong or is the coefficient incorrect?

You're missing 5% base mana per 5 seconds as base regen, which is 1029 for priests. 2475.7+1029=3504.7

Generelly speaking 350mp5 is better than 321 spirit, but specifically it depends on how many Mana Tides you get. The value of Core of Ripeness' spirit use is also significantly higher if you are able to use it during Mana Tide.

Thank you, that helps a lot.

Given a baseline Int of 5000 and Spirit of 2200 leads to mana regen of 3631.

With the Core of Ripeness usage whenever it is up (average to 321 spirit). The mana regen is 4010. 379 mp5 higher than baseline.

Thus, I can conclude that Core of Ripeness is better than Tyrande's Favorite Doll in every situation. (Now I don't feel too bad about not getting the Doll from Archeology.)

Had a question about staffs versus main hand + off-hand for healing. I've been comparing the stats on the two, and with the new +100 int enchant to off-hands, will there ever be a situation in which we would want a staff versus a mace and off-hand? Even when comparing an epic staff versus a blue i346 mace and off-hand, the stats still seem VERY close. The epic gets a bit more spellpower, but still has over 50 less intellect. Is there something about staffs that I'm missing?

I was wondering if anyone has looked into this any further? I still can't find a good reason to ever choose a staff over a mace and offhand with enchants being the way they are. Is this just the way things are now, with mace+off hand always being preferable?

Chelley's Staff of Dark Mending

vs

Andoros, Fist of the Dragon King + Heartbound Tome

Staff gives:

+7 Stam

+5 Int

-3 Spirit

+17 Mastery

+1 Spell Power

Chelley's Staff of Dark Mending

vs

Andoros, Fist of the Dragon King + Scepter of Ice

Staff gives:

+7 Stam

+5 Int

+4 Spirit

+4 Mastery

+1 Spell Power

So with the +100 Int to Off-Hand enchant, indeed there is no doubt that the combo is superior to staves. Blizzard needs to add a more powerful "Enchant 2-Hander" enchant like they did in the last expansion. Don't know why they equalized the stats and left it out this time.

Related to Damien`s post (thanks for the info)

Has anyone seen posts or testing regarding MH enchants both for healing and damage?

Thanks in advance.

Related to Damien`s post (thanks for the info)

Has anyone seen posts or testing regarding MH enchants both for healing and damage?

Thanks in advance.

For healing and damage enchants, our choices are going to be either Heartsong (procs 200 spirit for 15 seconds on spellcast) and Power Torrent (procs 500 int for 12 seconds on spell cast). Power Torrent is very, very expensive as an enchant, however. It requires Hypnotic Dust (14), Heavenly Shard (8), Maelstrom Crystal (4) and just for the enchanter to learn it, he needs to spend five Maelstrom Crystals. Heartsong is significantly cheaper, at Hypnotic Dust (9), Greater Celestial Essence (3), Heavenly Shard (3), Volatile Life (3).

Both Disc and Holy threads have discussed it, but iirc Heartsong is considered slightly better for Holy and Power Torrent slightly better for Disc. As for Shadow, if you can't get Power Torrent I'd imagine the next best would be Hurricane, which increases your haste by 450 for 12 seconds on a spellcast or melee hit. The mats for this are also far cheaper: Heavenly Shard (6), Volatile Air (6). Hope this helped!

Is this just the way things are now, with mace+off hand always being preferable?

Sort of.

For a given tier, a main hand + off hand from that tier is superior due to the 100 int enchant. And a main hand from that tier plus an off hand from the previous tier is slightly better than a staff from the current tier. But a staff from the current tier is better than a main hand plus off hand which are both from the previous tier.

So a staff is a nice upgrade in a new tier...it is just replaced by a main hand as soon as you get one. In the current situation, a 359 staff > 346 main hand + 346 off hand. See below:

Staff of Sorcerer-Thane Thaurissan

341 int

228 crit

228 haste

1955 spellpower

versus

Scepter of Power and Apple-Bent Bough

297 int

198 haste

198 spirit

1729 spellpower

Cancel common stats and you get (for the staff):

+44 int

+30 haste

+228 crit

+226 spellpower

-198 spirit

Even when you add in the +100 int, the staff is still better.

Both Disc and Holy threads have discussed it, but iirc Heartsong is considered slightly better for Holy and Power Torrent slightly better for Disc. As for Shadow, if you can't get Power Torrent I'd imagine the next best would be Hurricane, which increases your haste by 450 for 12 seconds on a spellcast or melee hit. The mats for this are also far cheaper: Heavenly Shard (6), Volatile Air (6). Hope this helped!

After comparing the two enchants using my current gear, I'd actually rate them very similiar for both Holy and Disc.

Heartsong: 25% to proc, with 20sec ICD, average uptime of about 55% or about the same as 108 Spirit. This is nice because it's 1. Cheap and 2. Fairly consistent. I'd expect about 1,100 m/min from it, which means one or two extra casts before I go OOM depending on the fight length.

Power Torrent: 33% to proc, with 45sec ICD, average uptime of about 25% or about the same as 125 Int. This is much more expensive for the mats, and the buff is much spikier; you're pretty much going to have it for 12 secs out of every 60, so if those 12 seconds line up with high damage phases, or when you're using shadowfiend or HoH, it's much better. For regen I'd expect about 500 m/min from it, and about 1,250 h/min (this varies wildly depending on what spells you happen to be casting when it procs from 500ish to 2000ish).

So, if you think that at the end of the boss fight you're most likely would've been OOM, but 2 more GHeals will keep the tank up long enough to get your loots, than Heartsong is probably the better choice. On the other hand if you think that you might be able to save someone by getting lucky and pumping out an extra 1 or 2k in heals during a high damage phase, than Power Torrent is what you want to gamble on (assuming you've got the gold).

I have 2 questions,

As a goblin priest with 3/3 Darkness I have 4% Haste, Raid buffs give me an additional 5% for a total of 9% so if i'm supposed to be aiming for 12.2% haste raid buffed, I only need an additional 3.2% haste? Or is that "soft cap" counted after talents and abilities? Just looking for clarification here

2nd question is about the mastery ability Echo of Light for holy priests, I have read that there are some bugs regarding clipping issues, I was always skeptical while tank healing from using smaller heals like CoH or PoM because it puts such a small EoL on the tank but I read that CoH resetting it is a bug? Are multiple heals supposed to stack up on the EoL? I remember reading somewhere that this was the case, that if for example you have a small heal that gives you 100 healing a tick, and after 3 ticks you cast a heal that does 500 a tick, that the leftover 300 "would be" healing gets stacked onto that so the new EoL is 550 a tick.

As cool as that sounds it seems unrealistic as I could just spam heal all day on a tank and keep building that up so is there a cap? Is there some trick to the mechanics I don't understand, the main thing I am wondering is a nice Greater Heal crit will provide a substantial EoL on the target, but if it is followed by a weak non crit heal or CoH did I just lose out on all that extra healing?

I have 2 questions,

As a goblin priest with 3/3 Darkness I have 4% Haste, Raid buffs give me an additional 5% for a total of 9% so if i'm supposed to be aiming for 12.2% haste raid buffed

Haste buffs are not additive. You have 1.03 * 1.01 * 1.05 = 1.0923 or 9.23% haste, which means you need 1.125 / 1.0923 = 1.0299 or 2.99% (~383 rating) haste from gear to reach 12.5%.

Haste effects are multiplicative, not additive. Check in the compendiums for a longer explanation.

For Echo of Lights, I guess that the answer is also in the compendium. But the short answer is "Yes, the mechanism you describes is really what is applied" and "No, with this mechanism, Echo of Light can't stack to infinity". For the second part, you need to realize that hots will tick between the two heals. Hence, the "buffer" will decrease, and then be increased when the new heal lands. If you consider 2s heals, you have two ticks arriving. If the "mastery part" of the new heal is precisely two ticks of the current buffers, this means that the buffer is at the same amount just before these two ticks and just after the new heal (you lost two ticks, you gained the same amount from the heal). If the buffer is larger, the decrease due to the two ticks will be larger than the amount gained from the heal, and the buffer decreases. Reciprocally, if the buffer is smaller, it will be increasing. Hence, there is a "natural cap" which corresponds to 10% of your maximum hps.