Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Montegomery

[Cataclysm] Warrior FAQ - 4.2 - Read while patching, before posting.

67 posts in this topic

I think you should change the spec for Arms from 2/2 Rude Interruption to 2/2 Executioner, because currently Rude Interruption is bugged and you lose the damage buff after using MS.

€: Oh, and Recklessness doesn't require a gcd anymore.

Q: What are my stat priorities?

A: Get 8% Hit (including Precision), 26 Expertise. After that, Strength > Hit (up to 27%) > Crit == Haste == Mastery.

This seemed off to me as I have been using simulationcraft to generate equivalence point values for my gear.

This could mean 3 things:

1. My gear is terrible and doesnt represent the distribution at higher levels.

2. Simulationcraft doesnt properly model mastery for fury.

3. The assumption Crit == Haste == Mastery is wrong.

I could verify item 1 by checking against another, better equipped character.

A quick search of the warrior thread found me Moozhe from Vodka and running his profile netted me the following results.

Strength=1.6395, ExpertiseRating=1.0538, CritRating=1.0272, HitRating=1.0253, Ap=0.7720, HasteRating=0.7686, Agility=0.7329, MasteryRating=0.4876

Assuming simulationcraft properly models mastery rating for fury then mastery rating is clearly the worst dps stat that we have. However I have no evidence for the correctness of the simulationcraft implementation so I cant pick between 2 or 3.

I think you should change the spec for Arms from 2/2 Rude Interruption to 2/2 Executioner, because currently Rude Interruption is bugged and you lose the damage buff after using MS.

€: Oh, and Recklessness doesn't require a gcd anymore.

This has been hot-fixed as of today.

Q: What about when I can Execute?

A: Spam Execute and use Heroic Strike at 70+ rage. Use Colossus Smash as the cooldown allows.

If you're running TG,isn't Raging Blow more DPR than execute?Why would you spam execute in that case?

If you're running TG,isn't Raging Blow more DPR than execute?Why would you spam execute in that case?

25% haste from executioner talent fully stacked increases your rage generation enough that the damage per rage efficiency is no longer a concern so the higher damage of execute per GCD results in more DPS.

I also use Inner Rage and Colossus Smash to increase the damage of execute.

I am not certine that using inner rage is a DPS increase vs dumping extra rage with heroic strikes, maybe someone can modle that for us?

I assume that in higher tiers of gear we will be using Inner Rage and Heroic Strike during the execute phase, I just can't do that currently or risk being rage starved and dropping my executioner stack.

25% haste from executioner talent fully stacked increases your rage generation enough that the damage per rage efficiency is no longer a concern so the higher damage of execute per GCD results in more DPS.

Do you mind somehow backing that up? The thread starter editing the post hints that he agrees with me, and I often run totally out of rage by spamming execute. Also,judging from the tooltip, I don't think execute is most effective when used at low rage any more like in the past (The added damage from 20 rage is twice the damage you get from the initial 10 rage), so raging blow having better DPR than execute does matter unless you're capping on rage.

Does the plate specialization stack with gems/enchants placed on the armor, or are those added in after the 5% increase in the primary stat for a spec?

Does the plate specialization stack with gems/enchants placed on the armor, or are those added in after the 5% increase in the primary stat for a spec?

I've just tested it. Stamina from gems, as well as from Commanding Shout, is multiplied by both Sentinel and by Plate Specialization.

I would assume that it applies to all sources of stamina such as food, but I didn't test anything aside from gear, gems, and commanding shout.

Something to consider with regard to execute phase is that inner rage has almost no effect on the efficiency of execute. It only increases the base cost, so the total cost of a high rage execute goes from 30 to 35, a ~17% increase for a 15% increase in damage.

Why does this matter? Well, inner rage increases white hits by 15% too. If you maintain inner rage during the execute phase, you can get an essentially free 15% boost to white damage, in a phase where your white damage is particularly high because of executioner. Inner rage lasts quite a while so you don't need to try to hover above 75 rage the whole time to do this.

If you find yourself consistently with more rage than you can spend on execute though, it probably wouldn't be worthwhile to do this unless you canceled it before heroic strikes.

This works best for SMF where you don't have raging blow overtaking execute in rage efficiency.

Edit: Damn it. Lost track of what thread I was looking at. Meant to put this in the general fury thread and not here.

Arms

A: Get 8% Hit. After that, Strength > Crit > Mastery = Expertise > Haste.

Fury

A: Get 8% Hit (including Precision), 26 Expertise. After that, Strength > Hit (up to 27%) > Crit > Haste == Mastery.

If you'll please pardon a noob question from a casual player, could someone explain why Arms warriors can basically neglect expertise while Fury warriors must prioritize expertise soft-cap above all other than the first 8% of Hit? From the tooltip on the character sheet, it appears to be of roughly equivalent importance for both specs.

What am I missing?

Overpower procs from dodges. Overpower also can't be dodged or parried. Overpower has 50% increased chance to crit, and is incredibly rage efficient. Auto-attacks generate full rage when dodged.

Overpower makes up for a significant amount of lost damage from dodges, thus devaluing expertise.

Still a dodged MS/Colossus Smash ist a huge DMG loss.

You have to change your playstyle --> use TFB proccs immediatly or Overpowers from Dodges will be lost.

Only beneficial if dodge occures on Autohit, Opportunity Strikes, Slam ,Rend (if you see it immediatly, huge dmg loss if you dont), Heroic Strike (not Battle Tranced ones). And you dont have a TFB procc online and none is on the line in 1,5 sec. And you are not in Deadly Calm Phase. And MS/Colossus Smash are on cd.

If you are Expertise Capped, you can play a more optimised playstyle. Prioritize CS debuff -> MS -> Rend/Battle Shout -> Op. Because you have 6 sec to spend that op, you will less often delay your MS, and you can use CS when the debuff runs out. And you can reaply Rend if TFB procc has >4,5 Sec without losing a procc.

Still, simulations show that you gain a little more DPS when you prioritize other stats than expertise, so let's look at expertise from another point of view.

One thing is, your damage is much more inconsistent when not expertise capped. You can be lucky and get 90% OS dodges without overwriting TfB or you can get 3 MS dodges in a row, resulting in low enrage uptime and especially in burst phases this can be very disturbing.

Another point is the much more steady rotation. Low expertise means much more focus on your own rotation, leaving less brainpower for encounter situational reactions or more possible errors in your own rotation.

The third and in my opinion most important point is that on most encounters you're not 100% of the time behind a boss. Even if a boss is tank and spank and casts random stuff at players (Lana'thel was a perfect example) you have a chance to get your hit parried because of that cast. For fights like Al'akir you would have to get your whole gear reforged, because you stay 50% of the time in front of the boss. Moving out of fire can put you in front of a boss, etc etc.

Nearly all professions are good for prot atm. The determining factor is more on which direction you're looking, either stacking stam or stacking avoidance. For stacking stamina Leatherworking and Alchemy are very good. The upside of alchemy is also that the trinket gives both stam AND mastery. If you want to go for avoidance BS and JC are much better choices by giving you extra sockets for mastery gems, and 67 mastery gems.

I'm not sure that at 85 i agree that spamming execute is the right choice, for certain keep up the 5 stacks for the haste buff, but personally i've not been in a situation where it is the best use of rage = damage. Since there are no hard facts at hand i can't back this up, but i'm pretty sure a lot of other warriors feel the same.

Something I didn't get about priority as Fury is: When I have a free global (after doing BT>RB>BT), a free Slam via Bloodsurge and Colossus Smash out of cooldown, should I use Colossus Smash or Slam?

Thanks in advice

I'm not sure that at 85 i agree that spamming execute is the right choice, for certain keep up the 5 stacks for the haste buff, but personally i've not been in a situation where it is the best use of rage = damage. Since there are no hard facts at hand i can't back this up, but i'm pretty sure a lot of other warriors feel the same.

According to Simulationcraft, after you get the 5 stacks, Raging Blow is better than Execute (if you have TG). And of course if you have the excess Rage for it, throw in a Heroic Strike as well.

The same program shows that for SMF, Execute is definately best. A HS here or there on Excess amounts of Rage works well for SMF too though.

Something I didn't get about priority as Fury is: When I have a free global (after doing BT>RB>BT), a free Slam via Bloodsurge and Colossus Smash out of cooldown, should I use Colossus Smash or Slam?

Thanks in advice

This is mentioned in the OP if you read between the lines. If Collosus Smash is available, you do not have a free GCD to use a Bloodsurge proc. Use Collosus Smash.

Quick fyi: Impending Victory is listed under 'not recommended' in the protection thread but is in the example spec for prot in the general FAQ. I'm assuming prot thread > FAQ (and, to be honest, the talent annoys the crap out of me so I'm skipping it either way) but I figured you might want to correct this in one of these posts.

Regarding Fury; Why do you no longer recommend putting 2 points into Incite and hitting Heroic Strike a bit earlier than 90+ rage? Heroic Strike is getting a 20% damage nerf but it's still our only viable rage dump, right?