Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tyrian

Cataclysm: Situational Tips and Tricks

256 posts in this topic

The recent fix to Ring of Frost that allows it to be used on transports (elevators, etc.) means that Ring of Frost is now usable on Nefarian as another way to control the Animated Bone Warriors.

Previously, attempting to use Ring of Frost would generate a "this can't be used here" error.

It's possible to use invis to avoid the stun on the ascendant councils phase transition, similar to normal professor putricides tear gas. If you do this, make sure you have images available because you will be getting threat on the monstrosity before the tank has even touched it.

It's possible to use invis to avoid the stun on the ascendant councils phase transition, similar to normal professor putricides tear gas. If you do this, make sure you have images available because you will be getting threat on the monstrosity before the tank has even touched it.

If I remember correctly a large portion of this stun is the various council members forming into the elemental monstrosity. How much time do you actually get on the monstrosity using this trick before the rest of the raid break?

In terms of tips and hints we can scrap now:

- T10 four piece. This no longer works as of the most recent patch. Any spell cast while not wearing the T10 set will now cancel the damage bonus.

- Combustion spreading on heroic Halfus. Due to changes in mechanics of this fight Halfus no longer takes full damage until all drakes are killed (as opposed to released as it was). Of course Combustion spreading will still be useful, but we can no longer roll giant Combustions off Halfus at max damage and spread to the Drakes and Whelps. It seems like this was specifically targeted at Fire mages and Disc priests.

On the change to Halfus I would like to add that it is still massively useful to spread DMG via impact from Halfus.

Unlike before, it is now actually needed to kill all or most of the drakes (while most strategies before relied on tanking them through all of the encounter, and only kill one or two. We just tried it yesterday, and left only one Drake alive, and could have made the fight even smoother and easier if we had killed that as well.

Knowing that, after the first Drake is dead it is arguably better to spread DoTs from Halfus at increased DMG. From what I've seen in my own logs, it works out to be a bit less dmg on the second drake you kill, but over time, constantly spreading will mean you will be doing most damage of any class on the whelps, and any Drake after the second. Just don't try spreading from Halfus while you're still working on the first Drake ;)

If I remember correctly a large portion of this stun is the various council members forming into the elemental monstrosity. How much time do you actually get on the monstrosity using this trick before the rest of the raid break?

In terms of tips and hints we can scrap now:

- T10 four piece. This no longer works as of the most recent patch. Any spell cast while not wearing the T10 set will now cancel the damage bonus.

- Combustion spreading on heroic Halfus. Due to changes in mechanics of this fight Halfus no longer takes full damage until all drakes are killed (as opposed to released as it was). Of course Combustion spreading will still be useful, but we can no longer roll giant Combustions off Halfus at max damage and spread to the Drakes and Whelps. It seems like this was specifically targeted at Fire mages and Disc priests.

You get around 15 seconds dps time on the adds (which of course translates directly into damage on the monstrosity), plus a couple of seconds on the monstrosity itself.

On Halfus, you simply wait to swap to Halfus until the first drake has died.

Magmaw's exposed head will still take damage from dots even after it is no longer exposed. Whether this damage is reflected in his total health pool I do not know.

It is. Both me and our raiding warlock found a significant increase in DPS and damage done to Magmaw if we reapplied our DoTs just before Magmaw's head stopped being exposed. It's worth doing, because it also seems to still get the 100% extra damage throughout.

Haven't been much posting on Nefarian here:

Raiding in 10 man - I went Frost to kite adds in Phase 1 of Nefarian. Found it challenging and a nice change of pace.

Is anyone noticing any bugs or issues with threat relating to Nefarian's Bone Warriors? I find every so often I have no chance of actually having threat on them, despite hitting them instantly with a Frostbolt + Ice Lance, and being the only person with any threat on Omen.

One thought I had was that the Bone Warriors share the agro table with Onyxia and by opening up on Ony and fishing for some FoF procs, I found that to help significantly, but can't confirm that theory.

As a failsafe, we had a back up Hunter ready with slowing trap and his taunt to collect the 5 Bone Warriors.

Has this been fixed? Several of us tried this on our kill this past week and no one was able to pull it off.

- regarding 10man Nefarian -

Regarding the thread issue: Do you have a priest levitate the whole raid before jumping down? We noticed some strange behavior with Levitate, mainly Onyxia/Nefarian and the Bone Warriors not attacking anyone with an active Levitate. Try using Slow Fall instead of Levitate on everyone, who is involved in some sort of tanking.

Regarding the thread issue: Do you have a priest levitate the whole raid before jumping down?

Yes, in fact we have been using Levitate, and actually it does seem like the only candidates for pulling "threat" on the Bone Warriors at the start are Onyxia's tank and healer, both of whom would have lost their levitate to damage. I can't wait to test this theory - thank you!!

Edit: March 7th - Finally got a chance to test this theory on Nefarian - seems to be that I can confirm Levitate was causing a problem. Hard to say... but I switched to only using Slow Fall and I had zero issues with threat.

10 man heroic Conclave of Wind (probably applicable to 25man also?)

Mages can easily solo every Rohash ultimate - hurricane. I stay on Rohash to help break shield. Our dps then jump from Rohash to Nezir to dps. At around 75-80 energy I jump back to Rohash and swap places with the healer there (my nature debuff stack has timed out). I use my shields and slowfall to survive, and then let the guys at Nezir know when it's safe to come back. I'm usually well above 50% health when the healer gets back - I can always iceblock if shit hits the fan, such as my nature debuff stack not resetting by the time I come back from Nezir.

Advantages: two healers for Sleet Storm, and you can use the same healer for Rohash every time, which in turn means that the other two healers can just swap back and forth.

A few more tidbits:

Omnitron: Ah, those stupid Mirror Images and their lack of pet bar. You should really make sure you cast them at the start of a new boss activating, while you're attacking that boss, lest they keep attacking the wrong boss and activate their shields. For instance, I discovered the hard way as I gave Arcanotron more stacks than we could effectively steal/purge.

Heroic Maloriak: Getting all the adds down during that Dark Phase before the first Red or Blue phase is paramount; perhaps even more important than the adds during the Green Phase. As a fire mage, that means getting the highest Combustion you can get with an Impact to spread it. I found I was getting the best results by getting a Hot Streak proc early but holding it as long as possible until the first adds spawned, followed by LB and Blast Wave. You stand a greater chance of being able to line up that Combustion with a decent Ignite + Pyroblast! + LB + Critical Mass and have an Impact ready to go. So fight that automatic urge to Pyroblast! as soon as the proc appears... and then save that Combustion for the next Dark Phase.

Valiona & Theralion:

Simple tip, but seeing as these share their HP, it's often worth it for mages (especially fire mages) to put DoTs on both targets. Plus, you can just keep DPSing the flying dragon without much of a problem: an added advantage of doing this is that the flying dragon tends to have the single target abilities, so you can more easily see when to move out of the way.

Al'Akir:

I assume this is common knowledge, but Ice Block dispels Acid Rain. Use wisely after a significant amount of stacks to help your healers out.

Seriously, don't do that on Valiona and Theralion. You can apply LB on both but keep dpsing the same as other people in raid or you would be missing important debuffs on your target.

You only benefit from Crit Debuff which is applied by yourself and Spell Dmg Debuff. We always have our WL use Curse of the Elements on the flying one. So you can significantly reduce ignite munching by targeting the flying dragon while Flame Orb is out (for example).

Crit Debuff is applied by yourself only if you are a firemage, don't forget it and if you're the only one bringing it in the raid (10 man anyone ?), you're not giving it to other casters not dpsing the flying one. Your strategy works only if all casters remain on flying dragon. Pretty demanding, just to avoid potential munching for 15 secs every FO cd.

Keeping debuffs up is as easy as casting Scorch or Pyroblast every 30s--I don't believe there are any significant problems with this tactic.

Whether or not it's a valid tactic, dpsing one target or another is hardly a trick, nor is using ice block to clear debuffs. Let's try to steer this thread back towards the non-obvious.

If you are invisible when Chimaeron finishes his Massacre cast you will receive no damage. Caustic Slime can however still hit you.

Haven't been much posting on Nefarian here:

Raiding in 10 man - I went Frost to kite adds in Phase 1 of Nefarian. Found it challenging and a nice change of pace.

For Nef 10 man (Normal, we’re not that good) I have had very good luck taking care of the adds as fire when partnering with a holy paladin running RF. He heals most of the initial incoming damage and after 2-3 get to him I blastwave/flamestrike to pull them off while FFBing the stragglers. After kiting over a frost trap I drop my ring of frost. When that is done I start the dragon’s breath, frost nova shuffle and they end up in a nice little pile. Our holy paladin comes along as a safety net for his stun, but so far the only time this tactic has failed was due to blatant mage error.

As Charlemagna mentioned, frost works great, and you can solo them in that spec. I just enjoy fire much more, particularly for phase 3 of that encounter.

If Valiona is positioned directly under Theralion in her ground phase, you can impact dots up to Theralion.

I did this several times last night during Heroic V&T attempts, here's one log from it:

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

log snip-

[17:23:45.812] Valiona afflicted by Combustion from Penjeh

[17:23:46.377] Penjeh casts Fire Blast on Valiona

[17:23:46.661] Theralion afflicted by Combustion from Penjeh

I only impacted successfully when the tank had Valiona posititioned under Theralion about where the back of her neck was right under him. Slightly off center with her butt-end further from the center than her head.

Maloriak Heroic: If you own DMC: Volcano, equip it right before the pull. This will trigger the internal cooldown and the card will procc right at the beginning of the dark phase, giving you higher ignites and combustion to spread.

(this was mentioned in the Simple Question/Simple Answer thread, but imo deserves a more prominent post here)

Doesn't make much sense to me, the cooldown is 45 seconds and the proc chance is very high, meaning, if you don't do it the card will proc at the beginning of the fight AND on the dark phase so why would you intentionally make it proc one less time?

I will confirm this on our next Maloriakkill this ID, but my reasoning last week was this: By equipping it just before the pull, the card proccs early enough to build a big ignite&combustion on Maloriak himself, which can be spreaded as soon as the adds spawn. If you leave it equipped, the card will procc too late, at least in our raid, where the adds are pulled away from the boss quickly.

I could not find the timer for the first dark phase, but I will measure it on our next attempt.

I prefer building the combustion on Maloriak instead of an add, and damage on Maloriak himself was no problem anyway in our raid (we even had to stop damage for another green phase to occur). :)