Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snowy

Shadow Priest -- Cataclysm

376 posts in this topic

So, maybe I missed this somewhere, but with the changes to dot clipping...would clipping VT+DP after you gain Empowered Shadow result in missing the Empowered Shadow effect? The reason I ask is that i've been opening with full dots, and then MB right off the first orb. Once Empowered Shadow is up, I refresh VT+DP. If refreshing only results in an extension of the duration, does that also mean that the unbuffed version of those dots remain? or are the replaced by the empowered one. I've tried testing this on dummies, but the RNG for orbs is too inconsistent for me to get any valid results.

@Skellington: I've tried straffing during gcd instants, and i've not found that I can get a single proc of SA. I suspect there maybe a required distance of travel for the proc buff to occur. I've found that if I move ~3 yds i can get one, but if i'm only doing LRLRLR strafes of 1 step, I cant get one.

Don't forget that casting Mind Blast on a target without Vampiric Embrace does not trigger our Replenishment. This is an important mechanic for the healers in our raid. Replenishment also has the same duration as Empowered Shadows so it makes them both easy to track. After my opener, I always make sure I cast my Mind Blast a good 4-5 seconds early to keep Empowered Shadows up, so that I know I am giving Replenishment to the rest of the raid.

I didn't say anything about letting VT expire.

ORB - > MB -> VT -> DP -> MF spam -> MB on Empowered Shadow expiry, etc.

In this rotation the VT is still active when you cast the MB to renew Empowered Shadow while making sure that VT will get Empowered Shadow as well.

...would clipping VT+DP after you gain Empowered Shadow result in missing the Empowered Shadow effect?

No.

@Xn205: I think it is more about the down time beween LRLR. I tend to strafe right ('d') for the duration, which is just under 1.5 seconds, or just under 3s for two. I get on average one SA during that strafe, although the apparition doesn't appear until quite a while AFTER I stop strafing. I wonder if the time between 'L' and 'R' is cutting down your chances?

On multiple dummies with nothing but SW:P, constant strafing around in a circle procs LOTS of apparitions, but they all proc in the spot I was about 1s ago. I wonder if that is a minimum distance?

@Gramzon: I hadn't considered that VT was affected by empowered shadows. I tend to err on the side of caution with dots, and refresh early, so I don't tend to let Empowered Shadow expire before I refresh it. However I think the utility of 100% replenishment outweighs the small DPS loss.

Thus, if you are the only source of replenishment, the priority would be ORB>VT>MB>Dots>Refresh VT/MB, but if there are other sources, then ORB>MB>VT>Dots.

Hi, first time poster. Please let me know if I've done something incorrectly.

Thank you for this guide, the Shadowpriest 4.0 FAQ was insufficient. It's nice to have a compilation.

So I've read everything in this thread, and I have comments and questions.

People talk a lot about haste being wonderful. At the current gear levels (I'm only at 347IL but I'm sure T11 doesn't have the numbers either) there is no way to get that 7th VT tick. (Needs verification by someone with crazier gear than mine) I've gone up to 2204 haste rating (as moused over in the character sheet) and while in shadow form (so with my 5% haste buff, and obviously I took 3% haste from Darkness) I got 6 VTs, 10 DPs, and 8 SWPs. Same values as for when I had 2007 haste rating.

A guildmate sent me a link of two top guild spriests. Both were running at around 14.4% haste. I was wondering if this number was specifically chosen to obtain a certain amount of Lusted ticks/dot. I haven't had a shaman willing to waste hours testing this with me, but my testing showed further lowering haste allows to maintain the same amount of ticks/dot (6vt/10dp/7swp if I recall correctly), and giving the option to obtain more crit or mastery.

Now about Mastery; isn't it better to have more mastery than crit? I mean the SimCraft numbers are still being called 'arguable' (whether the argument is that it's situational, mana efficient, or whatever) seeing that in 15 seconds you're likely to generate the orb you'll need to refresh Empowered Shadow, why not boost your dot power by a guaranteed amount, rather than a chance amount? Mastery is not a chance, you WILL get x% more power to all 4 dots (MF VT DP SWP). Sure that affects the CD of your fiend, but given a playstyle (this is what I'm doing, please criticise!) where you favour saving MB to refresh ES except when you have 3 orbs (always cast on 3 orbs) and I'm not too worried about refreshing ES early unless I have no orbs. If none proc, then I'll allow myslef 1 MF before redotting without mastery buff to the VT or the DP. Regarding MF vs MB, since it's now a dot I'm pretty sure a MF with Dark Evangelism X 5 and ES is worth saving the MBs with 1 or 2 orbs for merely refreshing ES. What with the added opportunities of MF critting and giving you another 10 sec off your fiend, you're better off flaying more.

Nobody has anything about opening sequences or priorities, but one guy offered the VT SWP MF (MB if orb) DP option to at least get a VT in there off the bat, and give you a chance to cast the other spells and get your DEx5 and possibly ES up before casting your first real fully buffed VT rather than waiting (which does sound stupid).

I know I touched on a lot of concerns people have in this thread. I'm trying to help tie them all together, much like the guide that started this is trying to do.

Cheers

@ Goa

Disclaimer: My most seriously researched toon is a warlock, NOT a priest. I'm reading this thread in preparation for my own spriest hitting max level and am offering the perspective and advice of another DoT class.

The way Haste effects DoTs is in an easily quantifiable fashion: Haste thresholds. This term is defined as the precise % Haste required for a DoT to gain another tick. More important than knowing that those Spriests are at 14.4% Haste, is knowing exactly what Haste Rating is required to reach 14.4% Haste, and if that figure includes the latent 5% and/or 3%buffs. I do not know the thresholds for Priest DoTs offhand, but from my lock experience I assume that each DoT has different thresholds.

The important thing to remember about Haste is that each buff is applied multiplicatively, that is a 5% haste buff multiplies one's Haste Rating by 1.05. Therefore, the amount of Haste Rating required to meet 14.4% Haste multiplied by 1.08 (Darkness and Shadowform), or by 1.11 (Darkness, Shadowform, Dark Intent), is very likely a Haste Threshold for one or more DoTs.

I wish I could go on, but I am not well studied enough to give further insight.

If you have absolutely perfect dot re-application, haste thresholds are meaningless, since you can reapply just before the dot fades and thus 'roll' the timer on the dot damage.

In practice, I am convinced absolutely nobody can pull this off, so we will need to have more serious empirical study of haste caps. After raiding 25 mans a bit more, I am absolutely convinced that after stacking int, the best path is to stack haste up to a threshold, then switch to capping hit to maximise the ease of multidotting. Trying to multidot two mobs while dodging fire and worrying about misses is absolutely miserable.

@ Stuckinwell

None of my values include he 3% and the 5%. Specifically, because I don't want anyone having to do ANY calculations, I am ONLY using the haste-from-gear values as reported in the character sheet.

I'm going with values that you and I can both SEE without any calculating.

@ Mearis

If you have absolutely perfect dot re-application, haste thresholds are meaningless, since you can reapply just before the dot fades and thus 'roll' the timer on the dot damage.

What does dot reapplication have to do with making haste thresholds meaningless? I'm trying to see how (by which mechanism) you're tying them together.

I would rather have a dot that ticks 8 times in its duration rather than 6. When I refresh it just as it's about to drop (as per the new rules) I know that I got 8 ticks and I'm about to get another 8 before I cast it again, as opposed to getting only 6.

Now just to maybe add clarification (or further muddy the water), these are some results I got from adding a piece of gear or two, and casting each dot and counting how many ticks I got.

Naked with 0 haste from gear (but you're a spriest so you have darkness and shadowform) you get 5vt/9dp/6swp.

At 811 haste from gear (ditto on parenthesis) you get 6vt/9dp/7swp

At 1488 haste from gear (ditto on the ditto) you get 6vt/10dp/7swp

At 2007 haste from gear (ditto on the ditto) you get 6vt/10dp/8swp

These aren't the lower limits btw, just random haste ratings at which I've taken samples. For instance

1488 haste from gear (plus darkness and shadowform) = 6vt/10dp/7swp

1551 haste from gear (plus darkness and shadowform) = 6vt/10dp/7swp

1796 haste from gear (plus darkness and shadowform) = 6vt/10dp/7swp

14% lies between 1551 and 1796, closer to the latter. In my original post I was asking "Why not go down to 1488 haste since you get just as many ticks for each dot as with 1700?"

What good is wasting haste on NOT getting another tick? May as well get the most crit or mastery you can for that haste threshold. Amirite?

I respectfully disagree with this statement. Haste threshold are meaningful for you global dps. They don't change the individual dot dps, if you manage 100% uptime. But they decrease the number of cast you need to achieve this 100% uptime, and increase the time you have to cast other dps spells (read MF) and hence your total dps.

In fact, haste is particularly good for shadow priest for two reasons :

- with a fixed rotation, it increases your dps linearly, with the best rating to percentage conversion from all secondary stats except spirit.

- when reaching a haste threshold, this allow to decrease the proportion of time spent casting the corresponding dot, ie. change your rotation to a new higher dps rotation.

What good is wasting haste on NOT getting another tick? May as well get the most crit or mastery you can for that haste threshold. Amirite?

I don't think so. As mearis said, with perfect dot reapplication you obtain a continuous debuff with perfectly linear ticks intervals. So the more haste you have, the faster your dot will tick, and as you shouldn't let it drop, haste tresholds are indeed meaningless.

Before cataclysm you used to refresh your dots as soon as they fall off to avoid clipping, so on each treshold you used to get one more tick before the reapplication, wich doesn't mean you could cast one more MF but just you get more damage for the dot application (much more DPET).

Now, if you reach a haste treshold and reapply your dots correctly, you won't have the same difference as your dot never fades, you will just have a linear dps inscrease.

Haste tresholds are important for exemple because they let the LB's explode before recasting it, and thus gain benefit from the additional tick on each treshold.

I respectfully disagree with this statement. Haste threshold are meaningful for you global dps. They don't change the individual dot dps, if you manage 100% uptime. But they decrease the number of cast you need to achieve this 100% uptime, and increase the time you have to cast other dps spells (read MF) and hence your total dps.

I don't see how it could decrease the number of casts as the dot duration never change unless I am mistaken.

Thank you Nimiks for clarifying. I get it now.

If you have 100% uptime on say VT, it won't matter if you're at or between thresholds as the tick rate goes up steadily with haste and since the dot never drops, it doesn't matter how many ticks per dot since it never falls (with 100% uptime) you'll get those "extra ticks" because of the fact that you're not letting it drop.

It's like the concept of a leap year, each year is 365.25 days. Cast by itself a "year" ticks 365 times, but over the course of 4 casts of "year" you get that last (0.25x4) 1 extra tick in there.

So my VT would be ticking (ex) 6.333 times, but when I cast it alone and count my ticks, I get only 6, but over the course of 3 VTs (45 sec) I get (6x3=) 18 + (0.333x3=) 1 ticks, 19 total.

Let me know if this is what you and Mearis meant.

Cheers

You only get the extra ticks that would normally be rounded off if you recast VT before it is about to wear off - in theory, this easy, let's take some arbitrary numbers to make the math clean:

You have a dot, Shadow Vampiric Plague that normally ticks every 5 seconds and lasts 20 seconds with 0 haste.

In practice, this means you'll get a tick at:

You add an arbitrary amount of haste, and now the dot ticks every 4.5 seconds, and still lasts 20 seconds:

now, if you recast the dot between 18 and 20 seconds, the dot will be refreshed, so you'll get ticks now at:

etc etc

The optimal time to refresh a dot now is in the small interval between its last tick and when it wears off.

If you do it this way, haste scales linearly, which is why it scales so incredibly well in simulations with perfect play.

Now, where practice breaks off from theory:

I wouldn't claim to be the world's greatest shadowpriest, but I have played the class for a while, and I am pretty decent at it. In a raid setting, outside of some patchwork-like fight like the hydra boss in Nefarian's lair, refreshing dots in a sub 1 second window, while moving out of fire, dealing with shadow orbs, and dealing with resists is way too difficult to pull off reliably. If you add multi-dotting in, forget about refreshing dots on the run.

I am going to completely change my gear and priorities around now to get haste up to a plateau where the amount of dot ticks in a dot duration is maximised, then focus on +hit.

I agree with the thresholds being overrated, they might even result in a netloss of dps depending on your timings.

However, thresholds does have their advantages and they become apparent in situations where you keep DoTs on multiple targets where you only apply the DoT once.

But as concluded in above posts, the value of haste doesn't peak in any form at the threshold for straight up fights where 100% DoT uptime is, and should be, one of your top concerns.

I agree with the thresholds being overrated, they might even result in a netloss of dps depending on your timings.

However, thresholds does have their advantages and they become apparent in situations where you keep DoTs on multiple targets where you only apply the DoT once.

But as concluded in above posts, the value of haste doesn't peak in any form at the threshold for straight up fights where 100% DoT uptime is, and should be, one of your top concerns.

- On any fight where you can stand still and patchwork it up, haste stacking is better than capping hit by a fairly tiny amount.

- On any fight where you are multidotting while dodging AoE, hit is better, since you won't be able to take advantage of dot refreshing, and without dot refreshing, haste plateauing is very real.

- On any fight where you are multidotting while dodging AoE, hit is better, since you won't be able to take advantage of dot refreshing, and without dot refreshing, haste plateauing is very real.

For completeness: if said fight involves adds below boss level, things are different and more complicated, as pretty much every raiding priest will be somewhere in the window between hit capped against 87 and hit capped against boss level.

One general note regarding raiding not hit capped: what it also does is raise the RNG aspect of dps. Losing a three orb Mind Blast is pretty painful in all its effects compared to losing a Mind Flay tick. I would also personally hate to not perform a proper damage stop just because my Mind Spike missed (can't say how relevant that is for current content).

EDIT: I figured out my calculations were wrong so I removed them.

However,

I casted my DoTs on a dummy while not wearing any gear and the ticks were every 2.91 seconds. This checks out since 3% spell haste from darkness gives 3*0,97=2.91 seconds.

That means that switching to Shadowform which adds another 5% spell haste should make the DoTs tick at 3*0,92=2.76 second ticks. But to my surprise when i scrolled over the DoT the ticks were at 2.77. Am I doing something wrong in my calculations?

Furthermore equipping an item that made my haste 1,97% (making it 5%+3%+1,97%=9,97%) gave me 2,72 second ticks instead of the expected 3*0,9003=2,70 seconds per tick.

I don't see how it could decrease the number of casts as the dot duration never change unless I am mistaken.

This is a common misconception about dots. The duration isn't actually fixed, i.e. VT doesn't always have a duration of exactly 15 seconds. Instead VT has a duration of about 15 seconds, but the exact amount depends on how much haste you have. What actually happens is that as you get more haste the ticks become faster and the duration shorter. Then when you reach the breakpoint where you get another tick of the dot the duration suddenly jumps up.

Taking VT as an example:

i) At 9.99% haste, you get 5 ticks of VT over 13.64s. (one tick every 2.73s)

ii) At 10% haste, you get 6 ticks of VT over 16.36s. (one tick every 2.73s)

The dps is the same either way, one tick every 2.73 seconds (with less rounding it would be 0.01% faster under case ii, exactly as you would expect). The extra tick doesn't add any dps. This remains true whether you are refreshing VT before it wears off or not.

The only benefit you do get by having an extra tick is that you don't need to refresh VT quite as often. If you do the maths, this works out to roughly 150dps extra if you just go over the first breakpoint (and will be smaller for later breakpoints). In the context of c.20k dps these days, thats not very significant. If you want to try and gear for it then you can try, but good luck taking into account bloodlust, dark intent, power infusion, hurricane, etc

Overall my advice would be to ignore haste breakpoints when chosing gear because (a) they have a very small impact and (b) in practice external buffs will change them anyway.

At 14,3% haste you get 1 extra tick of SW:P and at 11,2% haste you get one extra tick of DP. However at 16,67% haste you get another tick of VT so they probably get that missing 2% from buffs or somewhere else (trinkets, potions etc.). I don't think they would get to 14.4% and then not get that extra 2% for the VT tick.

This is based on some calculations of mine so if I am wrong please tell me.

Your calculations are wrong - not sure where your numbers are coming from to be honest.

Taking into account standard raid buffs (5% and 3% haste stacking multiplicatively), this gives the following break points for extra ticks (not that extra ticks matter much anyway - see above) (taken from shadowpriest.com):

DP - 8 Ticks Base

Ticks|haste%| Points haste

9|0%|0 (u got this with 8% from talents already)

10|9,8%|1256

11|21,4%|2736

12|32,9%|4216

13|44,5%|5696

SWP - 6 Ticks Base

8|15,6%|1996

9|31%|3969

10|46,4%|5943

VT - 5 Ticks Base

6|1,7%|220

7|20,2%|2588

8|38,7%|4956

9|57,2%|7324

So based on current gear levels it would be almost impossible to not reach 10 ticks of DP, 7 ticks of SWP and 6 ticks of VT. If you concentrate on haste gear then you could reach 8 ticks of SWP (a spell which is auto refreshed anyway making the breakpoint entirely meaningless). You are not going to be getting 7 ticks of VT or 11 ticks of DP.

Overall my more detailed advice would be to ignore haste breakpoints when chosing gear because (a) they have a very small impact, (b) in practice external buffs will change them and © you can't reach them anyway.

I think what we all need is a nice little ECG-type applet that will monitor dot ticks like heartbeats.

Would take the wind right out of this thread's sails... or put us on the same page.

I might be wrong, but I really think that Amonra is right.

The exact duration is not fixed, but it oscillates around the base duration, depending if you have more or less than half a tick.

The BC mechanism was easy : haste didn't affect dots.

The 3.3 mechanism let haste affect dots, decreasing the time between ticks, with no other effect. Hence, the more haste you had, the shorter the dot duration.

The LK mechanism decrease the time between ticks, and eventually add ticks. However, the number of ticks is an integer, where haste and time are real-valued. As the dot fades when the last tick has ticked, this means that the total_duration = #ticks X time_between_ticks is not fixed. In particular, it is optimal to refresh dots between the last tick and the next to last tick, as the refresh add to the total duration the amount of time till the next tick.

In practice, you have N+1 ticks when the time_between_ticks X (N+1/2) is less than the base duration.

This sounds like you're still working with the 3.3 mechanic.

Amonra, did you know that haste has changed with 4.0 and now all dots ARE EXACTLY their reported duration; no matter what?

In Wrath the haste level I had gave me a VT that lasted 11 sec and a DP that was 18 sec. Today, if I have 0 haste or 2204 haste, my VT is 15 sec, and my DP is 24 sec. However each one gains more ticks in its duration, and as Mearis just explained so clearly (thank you Mearis) when overlapped (as can and should now be done) allows haste to scale perfectly, and you get those extra partial ticks (from a plateau standpoint) to flourish when your dot isn't allowed to die part way to its next tick.

Cheers

This is 100% inaccurate; DoT durations do change, even in 4.0. My DoT timer shows fractional seconds and I noticed that they durations were jumping all over the place. I did some testing..

Theory: There are no haste plateaus. DoT durations do in fact change. The duration reduces until you gain an extra tick and then resets back to the tool-tip value once you have enough haste to acquire an additional tick. (Note: the observed duration 'reset' was different)

Method: I cast VT on a "clean" target that did not already have VT ticking. These are considered "non-refresh" casts of VT. I started out naked without shadowform and then switch to shadowform and started putting on haste gear one item at a time (and a few different combinations of gear). To test the theory, I wrote an addon that will check and report your current haste percentage and the VT duration as soon as it's cast. The meat of the addon is below:

-- get haste bonus from gear

hasteBonus  = GetCombatRatingBonus(CR_HASTE_SPELL)

darkness = 0

mindquickening = 0

-- check for darkness (up to 3% haste)

nameTalent, icon, tier, column, currRank, maxRank= GetTalentInfo(3,1);

darkness = currRank

-- if in shadowform (which applies Mind Quickening), assume +5% haste 

mq = UnitBuff("player", "Mind Quickening")

if (mq ~= nil) then   

mindquickening = 5

end

-- Find our VT and report our current haste and VT duration

for i=1,40 do

local name, rank, icon, count, dtype, duration, expirationTime, unitCaster, isStealable, shouldConsolidate, spellId  = UnitAura("target", i, "PLAYER|HARMFUL")

-- 34914 = Vampiric Touch

if (spellId == 34914 and unitCaster == "player") then

print("Haste: " .. hasteBonus + darkness + mindquickening .. "%, VT: " .. duration)

end

end 

Observations:

Haste%    VT Duration

03 	14.565 (Darkness only)

08 	13.87  (Darkness + Shadoform only)

08.3904	13.815

09.2650	13.695

09.3900	13.68

09.6164	13.65

09.9288	16.326

09.9912	16.32

10.0069	16.314

10.0615	16.308

10.1396	16.296

10.2568	16.278

10.6863	16.206

11.8576	16.026

13.5912	15.762

15.3014	15.51

16.3946	15.354

17.0350	15.264

17.9096	15.144

18.4016	15.078

18.4796	15.066

18.8545	15.012

19.5261	14.922

20.9082	14.742

21.2831	14.694

Google charts (Y-axis is VT Duration, X-axis is Haste %):

chart?chxr=0,0,35|1,13,17&chxs=0,676767,12.5,0,lt,676767|1,676767,11.5,0,lt,676767&chxt=x,y&chs=600x400&cht=lxy&chds=0,35,13,17&chd=t:3,8,8.39,9.27,9.39,9.62,9.93,9.99,10.01,10.06,10.14,10.26,10.69,11.86,13.59,15.3,16.39,17.04,17.91,18.4,18.48,18.85,19.53,20.91,21.28|14.57,13.87,13.82,13.7,13.68,13.65,16.33,16.32,16.31,16.31,16.3,16.28,16.21,16.03,15.76,15.51,15.35,15.26,15.14,15.08,15.07,15.01,14.92,14.74,14.69&chdl=VT+Duration&chg=-1,-1,0,0&chls=1

VT Duration (in seconds) vs Haste Percentage

Conclusion: The base duration for VT at zero haste is 15s, as stated in the tool-tip. This wasn't tested directly (I didn't respec to 0/3 Darkeness), but the data supports it (follow the line in reverse), and this is was what I expected.

The interesting part is that the DoT durations fluctuates by about ±3s (±1.5s of the baseline duration, which is 15s in the case of VT) depending on your haste.

The smallest duration observed was 13.65s @ 9.6% haste. At 9.9% haste, the duration jumps up to 16.3s and you gain an extra tick. The graph suggests that we'll gain an extra tick again around 29% haste which is supported by the "plateaus" listed here.

My initial theory was that the duration was reduced until an extra tick was acquired and then reset back to the baseline. We already know that DoTs tick every 3s (unless otherwise stated) @ 0% haste. Initially I believed that once we have enough haste to reduce the duration by a full tick (i.e. enough haste to reduce by 3s), we gain a tick and the duration is reset. What actually appears to happen is that you gain an extra tick after you have enough haste to knock roughly 1.5s off the base duration. The remaining fractional tick duration is appended to the baseline duration which is why we see VT durations greater than 16s.

During testing, I never saw the VT duration at the suggested min and max values (13.5 and 16.5) and the graph suggests that the min is actually slightly above 13.5 and the max is slightly below 16.5. This could be due to the haste steps I had available, Blizzard is using a different value for the min/max in baseline delta or using a percentage of base duration, or latency/processing. Regardless, there are no haste plateaus. DoT durations do change with haste.

Note: Refreshing a DoT will have different results, as the remaining fractional tick duration will be appended which can sometimes cause in even longer durations. I've seen durations > 17s with VT while refreshing an existing DoT.

Confirmation with "bare metal" methods:

Tested without equipment that procs haste, clean target, always a single VT during combat. All data from combat log without any possible addon interference, based on aura duration on target.

Case 1: 1292 haste + Darkness, Shadowform:

1/11 16:10:41.907  SPELL_AURA_APPLIED,0x020000000002FA18,"Hegen",0x511,0xF1307F9A0000141B,"Trainingsattrappe",0x10a28,34914,"Vampirberührung",0x20,DEBUFF

1/11 16:10:57.137  SPELL_AURA_REMOVED,0x020000000002FA18,"Hegen",0x511,0xF1307F9A0000141B,"Trainingsattrappe",0x10a28,34914,"Vampirberührung",0x20,DEBUFF

Result: 6 ticks, aura duration: 15.230s, time/tick: 2,5383s Case 2: 0 haste, Darkness, Shadowform:
1/11 16:11:57.605  SPELL_AURA_APPLIED,0x020000000002FA18,"Hegen",0x511,0xF1307F9A0000141B,"Trainingsattrappe",0x10a28,34914,"Vampirberührung",0x20,DEBUFF

1/11 16:12:11.646  SPELL_AURA_REMOVED,0x020000000002FA18,"Hegen",0x511,0xF1307F9A0000141B,"Trainingsattrappe",0x10a28,34914,"Vampirberührung",0x20,DEBUFF

Result: 5 ticks, aura duration: 14.041s, time/tick: 2,8082s Case 3: 0 haste, Darkness
1/11 16:12:35.429  SPELL_AURA_APPLIED,0x020000000002FA18,"Hegen",0x511,0xF1307F9A0000141B,"Trainingsattrappe",0x10a28,34914,"Vampirberührung",0x20,DEBUFF

1/11 16:12:49.903  SPELL_AURA_REMOVED,0x020000000002FA18,"Hegen",0x511,0xF1307F9A0000141B,"Trainingsattrappe",0x10a28,34914,"Vampirberührung",0x20,DEBUFF

Result: 5 ticks, aura duration: 14.474s, time/tick: 2.8948s

I have been posting a lot about haste and DoTs in the affliction warlock and fire mage forums. Hopefully I can help clarify for people here too.

The maximum that the duration of a DoT can vary by:

DoT Interval/2

This maximum variation will occur just above or just below one of the haste "thresholds" where a DoT ticks an extra time.

So, if you take a spell like SW:P, for example. Say you have 25% haste.

Base Interval: 3 seconds

DoT Interval: 3/1.25 = 2.4 seconds

Duration = 18 seconds +/- 1.2 seconds

We know that SW:P has 7 ticks just under and 8 ticks with just over 25% haste, so, the duration is:

2.4 * 7 = 16.8 seconds or

2.4 * 8 = 19.2 seconds or

18 +/- 1.2 seconds.

There has also been discussion about whether to gear for a particular threshold, such as 25% haste to get the 8th SW:P tick. If you are DoT'ing adds in a fight just once and letting it drop, then you will definitely gain significantly from one of these haste thresholds. As has been stated already, for single target DPS the haste thresholds barely matter.

I posted some math here: DoTs and Haste Thresholds about corruption, which has the same calculations as SW:P. I continued on to show calculations for unstable affliction, which has the same calculations as Vampiric Touch. Our filler is Mind Flay instead of Shadow Bolt, but, the conclusions are similar.

My initial theory was that the duration was reduced until an extra tick was acquired and then reset back to the baseline. We already know that DoTs tick every 3s (unless otherwise stated) @ 0% haste. Initially I believed that once we have enough haste to reduce the duration by a full tick (i.e. enough haste to reduce by 3s), we gain a tick and the duration is reset. What actually appears to happen is that you gain an extra tick after you have enough haste to knock roughly 1.5s off the base duration. The remaining fractional tick duration is appended to the baseline duration which is why we see VT durations greater than 16s.

During testing, I never saw the VT duration at the suggested min and max values (13.5 and 16.5) and the graph suggests that the min is actually slightly above 13.5 and the max is slightly below 16.5. This could be due to the haste steps I had available, Blizzard is using a different value for the min/max in baseline delta or using a percentage of base duration, or latency/processing. Regardless, there are no haste plateaus. DoT durations do change with haste.

That part is pretty well documented. You gain a tick when the "fractionnal part" is more than half a tick. In other words, you can compute the real-valued number of ticks, as the base duration (15s for VT) divided by the dot interval (3s/1+haste for VT). Note that this is the same as the base number of ticks, multiplied by 1 + haste.

You then get the effective number of ticks by rounding to the closest integer.

This hence mean that the minimum VT duration will be when you are just 1 rating short of having 6 ticks to VT. Your haste is then such as 5 * (1+haste) = 5.5, ie. haste = 0.1 . The VT duration is then 5 * 3 / (1.1) = 13.6363s.

Similarly, the maximum size will be just one haste rating further, and the duration will be 6 * 3 / (1.1) = 16.3636s .

Patch 4.0.6 - PTR Build 13482

* Shadow Orb Power now increases the damage done by your Shadow Orbs by 21.6%, up from 20%. Each point of Mastery increases damage by an additional 1.5%, up from 1.3%.

That's roughly a 15% boost to Mastery, which should bring Mastery to a better stat than crit, but still worse than haste, according to our existing BiS stat weights.

It's a minor overall dps boost.

Keep in mind that full changes will be posted soon, which may contradict or add to this.

That part is pretty well documented. You gain a tick when the "fractionnal part" is more than half a tick. In other words, you can compute the real-valued number of ticks, as the base duration (15s for VT) divided by the dot interval (3s/1+haste for VT). Note that this is the same as the base number of ticks, multiplied by 1 + haste.

You then get the effective number of ticks by rounding to the closest integer.

This hence mean that the minimum VT duration will be when you are just 1 rating short of having 6 ticks to VT. Your haste is then such as 5 * (1+haste) = 5.5, ie. haste = 0.1 . The VT duration is then 5 * 3 / (1.1) = 13.6363s.

Similarly, the maximum size will be just one haste rating further, and the duration will be 6 * 3 / (1.1) = 16.3636s .

Yep. Here's the math, cleaned up. Does anyone know if simcraft is using a static value for DoT durations? If it is, our scaling factors for haste are probably off.

Base_Duration = x

Haste_Percent = y

Base_Interval = 3

Base_Ticks    = Base_Duration / Base_Interval

DoT_Interval  = Base_Interval / ( 1 + ( Haste_Percent / 100 ) )

Num_Ticks     = round( Base_Duration / DoT_Interval )

Duration      = DoT_Interval * Num_Ticks

e.g.

Base_Duration = 15

Haste_Percent = 9.9

Base_Interval = 3

Base_Ticks = 15 / 3 = 5

DoT_Interval = 3 / ( 1 + ( 9.9 / 100 ) ) = 3 / 1.099 = 2.7297

Num_Ticks = round( 15 / 2.7297 ) = round( 5.495 ) = 5

Duration = 2.7297 * 5 = 13.6487

---

Base_Duration = 15

Haste_Percent = 10