Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Aevitas

Hunting High and Low: Encounter tips and tricks

122 posts in this topic

OMNI:

COUNCIL:

You can disengage in P3 after the Elemental Monstrosity lifts you in the air to limit/negate fall dmg.

Are you sure about this? I spammed Disengage during our first kill when I was in a bubble and it did absolutely nothing. Haven't got caught in a bubble since, but I'll try again tomorrow when we clear BoT.

EDIT 1 : Spammed Disengage from inside the bubble and all the way down to the ground and nothing happened. The following 2 weeks, 3 other hunters in my raid couldn't do it too. Hmm.. Will try later.

Are you sure about this? I spammed Disengage during our first kill when I was in a bubble and it did absolutely nothing. Haven't got caught in a bubble since, but I'll try again tomorrow when we clear BoT.

Disengage when you're already dropping and are close to the ground to negate fall damage.

When maloriak triggers the snakes they move behind him, so a snake trap is not helpful because they are not in his fire aoe cone...

I've always feigned Acquiring Target and the beam disappears before the flamethrower goes into effect without switching immediately to another raid member(at least for Heroic 25).

This as well, it's what I've seen for both myself and the other hunter in my raid, every time (10-man normal). This is pretty much a non-issue as long as you're not on a hair trigger and you let him start casting before you feign.

It may be worth noting how many of of the bosses we can stand right on top of and continue shooting. Nefarion, Al'Akir, and Chimaeron are three where this is really useful. Maloriak too, to a lesser extent.

Yesterday I was a little bit surprised when this worked on the three adds in Nefarian P2 as well. I thought this "you can stay in melee range and still shoot" was limited to some (large) bosses, but apparently not. Nice, I really didn't like the gigantic "you can't shoot here" hitboxes of some bosses before Cata (Marrowgar in ICC comes to mind).

Yesterday I was a little bit surprised when this worked on the three adds in Nefarian P2 as well. I thought this "you can stay in melee range and still shoot" was limited to some (large) bosses, but apparently not. Nice, I really didn't like the gigantic "you can't shoot here" hitboxes of some bosses before Cata (Marrowgar in ICC comes to mind).

The cata bosses I can think of that are dramatically lacking the new relaxed hitboxes are Magmaw's exposed head (a healer was somewhat miffed at me for disengaging out of a healing rain she dropped on the group right before the head came down) and Altarius in Vortex Pinnacle - both feature unpleasantly large hitboxes for bosses that I'm frequently very close to.

When maloriak triggers the snakes they move behind him, so a snake trap is not helpful because they are not in his fire aoe cone...

We had our Offtank tank/kite the adds more or less behind the stacked group and put the snakes onto the adds, for the reason you mention. The Offtank told me the snakes all got killed by the breath so I guess that can work.

Minor observation: for our 10 man we were having trouble killing or controlling the small adds on heroic Conclave of the Four winds, and since apparently a frost DK can just kite these indefinitely without having to kill or tank them, I had a shot at kiting them using 2/2 Concussive Barrage for a permanent aoe ranged snare. It actually looked doable if you manage to get all the adds chasing you quickly. I still failed or we ended up wiping to other things, and I imagine we'll just get a DK to do it or kill them properly, but if anyone else is stuck on them and has a better kiter than me, it's probably quite doable by sitting in fox and spacing out your multishots, with the occasional frost trap and disengage + posthaste thrown in.

Lady Sinestra

P1 Tips

• Pull: If your guild is resetting the boss for raid positioning, make sure your pet stays close to the boss. Feign Death works for resetting the encounter (don’t forget to dismiss your pet).
  • Orbs: if your position allows, kite your orb in a way that you can always dps while using Aspect of the Fox. Make sure to warn your healers if you have the Wrack debuff while moving. It’s not recommended to use Aspect of the Cheetah while kiting orbs because of the Wrack debuff.
  • Whelps: If you are assigned to kill whelps, make sure you know where they will be positioned and launch a trap at the location. Don’t kill adds before they get into position though. You can start single target dpsing them (careful with agro) and Multi-shot when they are positioned. Make sure you use MDs to help the add tank.

P2 Tips

• Eggs: [MM only] Make sure to time your steady shots in a way that you have near full focus when the eggs are attackable, so you can start with 2 Aimed Shots at CA phase.
  • Spitecallers: If you are set to dps spitecallers at the back of the room, remember their Unleashed Essence cast is not interruptible, but you can use disorient effects. Since most of the time rogues will be using Gauge, be ready to use Scatter Shot as a backup, specially on upcoming adds that can start casting immediately and let the group know when Scatter is usable again.

P3 Tips

• Orbs: Same as P1. Be careful with the purple void zones at the back of the room as they start to grow as the phase goes on, giving you less space to disengage or run.
  • Whelps: same as P1. Each pack of whelps will die at a different location now, so make sure you don’t miss your trap or start MSing to early.
  • During haste buff: [MM only] make sure to cast as many Aimed Shots as possible, casting Chimera Shot only when Serpent Sting is about to fade.
  • Damage: If your group chooses to position in front of the boss, especially at the end of the phase, make sure to use glyphed Raptor Strike a few seconds before each Flame Breath to help your healers.

Overall Tips

• [MM only] With a typical encounter length ranging from 7 to 9 minutes, it's safe to consider that you will be using three sets of cooldowns. Start with a pre-pot and all your cooldowns except for Call of the Wild to maximize dps while benefiting from an extra agility potion, even if it’s not a CA phase (boss starts at 60% and phases at 30%). The only reason for not using CDs in phase 1, is when you are assigned to dps eggs at phase 2 and your group is having problems dpsing them down (for guilds that killed Cho’gall heroic, that shouldn’t be a problem anyways). The other 2 sets of cooldowns should be used in phase 3. With the 3 minutes 100% haste buff, you should be using CDs as soon as P3 starts (or if your guild pushes 2 eggs at the same time, CDs may not be usable until 30 seconds into P3), including agility potion and Call of the Wild, for a maximum dps increase at CA phase. After 3 minutes the buff will go down and the boss should be around 15% to 30%. Use CDs again because the boss must die as quick as possible since healing is pretty intense at this part of the fight. If your group is having low % wipes, try using Call of the Wild at P1 and once again now, and save the second agility potion to the third set of CDs for a better DPS when the buff fades.

=== Valiona and Theralion===

Deterrence

It is also possible to re- or deflect the targeted component of Valiona's Twilight Meteorite on at least normal difficulty. The small AOE-effect however, can't.

I can confirm that Deterrence works perfectly on Twilight Meteorite on Heroic difficulty. There is thus no need to move towards others if Deterrence is up; indeed, the best thing to do seems to be sure that no one else is too close, just eat the Meteorite, and then /cancelaura Deterrence.

Ascendant Council Heroic

Frost orbs in P2 must successfully melee you to detonate so if you find yourself in trouble hit deterrence to buy you a few more seconds.

Nefarian heroic:

Glyph of Raptor Strike is a very useful tool to lower damage taken by electrocute on 1st and 3rd phase, also by using it on 2nd phase, when it is off CD you will increase survivability.

On Explosive Cinders, the best way to get less damage by lava and Shadowflame Barrage is to start moving when there are 4 seconds left, then just jump disengage back.

And a very good, general tip is to toggle walk with a good hotkey, that's because if you will get Dominion you will be able to stack up to 150 with ease.

Nefarian heroic:

And a very good, general tip is to toggle walk with a good hotkey, that's because if you will get Dominion you will be able to stack up to 150 with ease.

As far as I know, this has been fixed now. We've been using this tactic since it just meant more dps but it seems like we couldn't do it this week.

You cannot feign death while being tracked by sonic breath in ground phase(Heroic Atramedes)

You cannot feign death while being tracked by sonic breath in ground phase(Heroic Atramedes)

If so, that is new, it worked quite well for me last week.

I did try this a month ago on normal Atramedes, and it didn't work for me. The fire breath went right over my head and stayed there while i was feigning death. I think it did no damage, but my sound levels reached 100% quickly. Atramedes finished his cast and instantly killed me afterwards.

Maybe you have to do it at a specific time, or heroic Atramedes is different. Atm we're working on him, but I did not dare to try that again.

Nefarian HC

- Hunters generally drop ice traps for Dominion here. Use your regular trap ability instead of the trap launcher macro, saves you time and focus.

- If you are caught in somebody else's slow (trap, totem, etc) use Master's Call. (Specially crucial on p3 once MT starts turning her, a crackle is incoming, and you need to get to AoE heals and barrier asap.

Nefarian 10 nonHC: You can use a tanking pet (and glyph of misdirect/mending etc) to tank all 5 skeletons in P1. After 50 seconds they will die roughly at the same spot, which will make it easy for the tank in P3 to pick them up all at once.

(I also tried kiting them myself like our frostmage does, but that did not work out so well: one stun of a dragon's tail and it was game over for me.)

Heroic Nefarian:

-When getting explosive cinders in P2 you can disengage back on the platform by jumping and then disengaging.

-Try to save cooldowns in P3 for after dominion.

-Saving focus for after dominion will greatly increase your DPS.

-Using Master's call to switch your pet from Nefarian to Onyxia can save you some time.

-Using the raptor strike glyph in P2 and before electrocutes helps alot.

-After dominion try to re-apply serpent sting.

-After dominion try to re-apply serpent sting.

About this. Right after we reapply it with Stolen Power it would tick with the improved coefficient, but what happens when we refresh it with CS after Stolen Power has expired? Does the DoT rollback to the regular coefficients or does it stay in its magnified form?

Also tied to this, does refreshing SrS with CS and with the Stolen Power buff apply it the improved coefficients?

Edit: I'll be checking this tonight and post info on it should there be no reply till then.

About this. Right after we reapply it with Stolen Power it would tick with the improved coefficient, but what happens when we refresh it with CS after Stolen Power has expired? Does the DoT rollback to the regular coefficients or does it stay in its magnified form?

Also tied to this, does refreshing SrS with CS and with the Stolen Power buff apply it the improved coefficients?

Edit: I'll be checking this tonight and post info on it should there be no reply till then.

All dots are recalculated with your current modifiers when they refreshed/extended as of launch of cataclysm.

=== Al'Akir===

Disengage

This ability provides a lot of benefits for a hunter on this fight

Do not use this during p3, it´ll kill you. it seems like thats the same effect as on Ascendant Council.

H Halfus

Many 10-man raids do not have a player that can serve as a third tank. I know mine does not. As an option to allow the release of more drakes initially, a tenacity pet (turtle is best) can be used to tank a drake. Although being BM is ideal for this, it is not required. I did it as MM (in my standard raid spec) with using the Glyph of Mend Pet and with the aid of a healer.

Because of threat concerns, we had the pet tank its drake away from the AoE mass. Its drake was the 4th to die since the first 3 (including whelps) were in the AoE. Pay attention to heals when the shield wall and cower are on CD.

Interesting. Maybe you could also use a tenacity pet to tank 3 adds during the Maloriak encounter, so that the add tank only has to deal with 6 adds. (We didn't really try H Maloriak yet, so I'm not sure if this would be beneficial, but it seems that 9 adds do an awful lot of damage.)

Most tips sofar have been about avoiding damage, but i dont see many on how to improve dps so i thought i would throw one in.

Chimaeron hc+n

During the -100%hit debuff make sure to dismiss pet and call in a fresh pet for call of the wild, not many bosses have mechanics that enable to use/abuse this without dps downtime. But 5X call of the wild here make a huge difference.

ty for a nice thread!