Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Aevitas

Hunting High and Low: Encounter tips and tricks

122 posts in this topic

Hand of Freedom makes you immune to the damage in addition to the snare from the frost patches even while standing them, so Master's Call should indeed have the same effect.

Looking at my logs, it's inconclusive. I have some entries like this:

[20:34:14.501] Unknown Ice Storm Killian 6000 (R: 1500)

[20:34:15.103] Unknown Ice Storm Killian 5250 (R: 2250)

[20:34:15.200] Killian casts Master's Call on Killian

[20:34:15.532] Unknown Ice Storm Killian 6000 (R: 1500)

[20:34:15.536] Gus casts Master's Call

[20:34:15.536] Gus casts Master's Call on Killian

[20:34:15.904] Unknown Ice Storm Killian 6750 (R: 750)

...which suggests the damage continues through the buff. On the other hand, there are various instances of the buff being cast without any ticks from Ice Storm in the same timeframe. Since I only ever cast MC to avoid the snare in this fight, presumably I managed to pass over the ice patch without taking any damage.

[20:45:42.990] Killian casts Master's Call on Killian

[20:45:42.995] Gus casts Master's Call

[20:45:42.995] Gus casts Master's Call on Killian

[20:46:17.236] Unknown Ice Storm Killian 7500 <--Note the gap in the timestamp.

Ive found disengage back into position during valiona's flame breath can be useful especially because after the first breath is the best time to use cds it allows you more cd time. Just be sure you land after the breath ends and you wont take any damage. On atramedes, if someone gets tracked with flames at the beginning of air phase and they are slow, aspect of the pack can be useful if you can rely on the rest of the group not to get hit.

Also, I think I have found a solution to the aspect debate in a macro. If anyone better with macros than I am can make this then please post. The macro would simply try to cast steady shot before aspect of the fox, if steady shot fails then it would move to aspect of the fox. It could also include a modifier to go back to hawk but dont feel pressed to include that.

This would require 2 button pushes to cast steady shot the first time when your moving.

Also, I think I have found a solution to the aspect debate in a macro. If anyone better with macros than I am can make this then please post. The macro would simply try to cast steady shot before aspect of the fox, if steady shot fails then it would move to aspect of the fox. It could also include a modifier to go back to hawk but dont feel pressed to include that.

This would require 2 button pushes to cast steady shot the first time when your moving.

What you are describing cannot be done. In theory the macro would be:

/use Steady Shot

/use Aspect of the Fox
However; SS casting initiates a GCD regardless of whether it is cast. The GCD is cancelled as soon as the client gets told "you can't do that", fast enough to not be a problem for hitting keys, but not fast enough for a macro to execute a second GCD blocked line. Aspects are currently off the GCD, so it could be done, but would switch you to AotF every time you cast Steady Shot. What can work is for the AotF cast to be controlled by a modifier, something like:
/use [modifier] Aspect of the Fox

/use Steady Shot

You would need to click a modifier key (random) for this to use AotF, but would use it and then initiate a steady shot, which the server would accept. You could add a "return to AotH" in the first line by defining the modifier for each, or by making a fallthrough modifier check, however that would be an individual preference which modifier to use / not use, as well as whether to use the same key or not.

Laugh if you wish, would like to add Al'akir in phase 3 (flying and layer placement of the storms) to the DISENGAGE IS CERTAIN DEATH list for raid content, it removes the flight debuff like the winds debuff for council is removed with it. In all honesty, no mention of this was on the thread or others in similar nature elsewhere, so please, learn from my laughable "downfall" (the other 9 raiders or however many still up still got that attempt's kill, and no one quite knew on vent where I'd gotten too, I was speechless with self-depreciating laughter at the mis-keyed bind, since I had learned that on council, lack of winds was =/= presence of grounded after a hotfix of some uncertain date.

Master's call negates the damage portion of gravity wells in regular mode Twilight Council.

Silencing shot on worshipping raid-members is a nice alternative due to very short raider downtime (two second silence) combined with full 40 yard range (correct if mistaken) range and the no damage combined with the cooldown short enough to innately be available for every normal mode worship makes marksman my guildies favorite spec for me, even before 4.1 multishot buff made me viable add aoe. The markman spec is my favored ideal for normal cho'gall for this and also the added benefit of the ranged interrupt for the tentacle "darkened creation" casts during phase 2.

Be aware that Entrapment will trigger and root raidmembers during worship, and while you are channeling Worship, the adds will fail to trigger any traps in their path.

Disengage is wonderful for midair corrections in Throne of the Four Winds especially when combined with the Flexweave Underlay tinker from engineering. On youTube is my highlight clip of a bad entry to the launcher resulting in an estimated landing somewhere between Anshaal and Rohash's platfroms (note: enter from the side never unless deliberately aiming at using a disengage course change mid-air to attempt Rohash-to- Anshaal switching, which is possible given appropriate timing and inital trajectory.) however, for this clip I disengage/parachute glide to Nezir instead with no comment on the potentially fatal flaw in tactics until I posted the clip's link on class forum of guild site.

Looking at my logs, it's inconclusive. I have some entries like this:

[20:34:14.501] Unknown Ice Storm Killian 6000 (R: 1500)

[20:34:15.103] Unknown Ice Storm Killian 5250 (R: 2250)

[20:34:15.200] Killian casts Master's Call on Killian

[20:34:15.532] Unknown Ice Storm Killian 6000 (R: 1500)

[20:34:15.536] Gus casts Master's Call

[20:34:15.536] Gus casts Master's Call on Killian

[20:34:15.904] Unknown Ice Storm Killian 6750 (R: 750)

...which suggests the damage continues through the buff. On the other hand, there are various instances of the buff being cast without any ticks from Ice Storm in the same timeframe. Since I only ever cast MC to avoid the snare in this fight, presumably I managed to pass over the ice patch without taking any damage.

[20:45:42.990] Killian casts Master's Call on Killian

[20:45:42.995] Gus casts Master's Call

[20:45:42.995] Gus casts Master's Call on Killian

[20:46:17.236] Unknown Ice Storm Killian 7500 <--Note the gap in the timestamp.

My scrolling combat text in a similar situation recently on al'akir, was along the lines of:

Immune (ice storm)

Immune (ice storm)

Immune (ice storm)

Immune (ice storm)

Immune (ice storm)

Immune (ice storm)

at the time was employing a heavy filter on Mik's Scrolling Battle Text (pre-4.1 is obvious) that only displayed odd interactions aside from relevant incoming data like damage and direct healing, elsewise it only let through absorbs, immunities, miss, dodge, parry, block and such so that no news is good news, logs are my meters for the majority of the time and by using this filtration let me know about any potential problems with what I'm doing while maintaining a non-number spam UI text stream. For Nezir's patches during conclave, in current guild strategy base, I'm not on that platform outside of final burn, Rohash > Nezir Ultimate > Anshaal > Nezir burn under lust is the general trend lately, given heavy favoring of ranged dps in raid combined with a traditional tank+healer team with melee on Anshaal for start, tank+healer team on Nezir, healer dedicated to Rohash largely to laugh at any who eat the one Wind Burst we see in the initial setup more than heal the ranged team which is semi-self sufficient with 2 shadowpriests for incidental raidhealing.

...DISENGAGE IS CERTAIN DEATH list for raid content, it removes the flight debuff like the winds debuff for council is removed with it.

Al'akir might still be bugged as I haven't done it post 4.1, but at least on Heroic Ascendant Council, Disengage no longer removes Swirling Winds or Grounded in Phase 2. They also fixed Cloak of Shadows and I believe Goblin Rocket Jump as well.

Further to the discussion on pet-swapping during Chimearon feud phase (when affected with Caustic Slime debuff) to increase Call of the Wild uptime..

It isn't encounter specific but 'pre-buffing' with a spare pet prior to engaging in combat on any boss pull will grant around 15 additional seconds or so of the buff (once you've dismissed, summoned a new pet and engaged). Enough to double-drop the buff, covering two rapid fires on those encounters which permit this, for MM spec.

Laugh if you wish, would like to add Al'akir in phase 3 (flying and layer placement of the storms) to the DISENGAGE IS CERTAIN DEATH list for raid content, it removes the flight debuff

Has anyone else had issues disengaging during flight after Wind Blast (in P1) to get back onto the platform?

Further to the discussion on pet-swapping during Chimearon feud phase (when affected with Caustic Slime debuff) to increase Call of the Wild uptime..

It isn't encounter specific but 'pre-buffing' with a spare pet prior to engaging in combat on any boss pull will grant around 15 additional seconds or so of the buff (once you've dismissed, summoned a new pet and engaged). Enough to double-drop the buff, covering two rapid fires on those encounters which permit this, for MM spec.

While on the subject, Al'akir offers multiple opportunities to switch pets too - if your pet's P1 position is diametrically opposed to your p2 position, sometimes the pet will despawn from distance (or you can force it to by telling it to move to the edge of the platform before you run around to the other side, but you probably lose enough pet dps time that way to make it not worth it). Also during P3 my pet usually despawns, presumably from falling down before it starts meleeing, so I can summon a different one.

During P3 I think I've had times where a summoned pet falls off and despawns, but this seems inconsistent - my best guess would be that perhaps if you don't immediately tell them to attack, they keep dropping, but I haven't tested this. If it is controllable in that way though, you could probably summon one pet and CotW while it falls, then resummon a different pet and use its CotW after the first wears off.

You might be able to use Move to to force distance despawning when switching platforms during Conclave too, but I haven't tried this.

Has anyone else had issues disengaging during flight after Wind Blast (in P1) to get back onto the platform?

Did it yesterday without any problems and just jump back to the platform in p1. (dont mind me it is fail to get catched by the cyclone anyway)

Al'akir might still be bugged as I haven't done it post 4.1, but at least on Heroic Ascendant Council, Disengage no longer removes Swirling Winds or Grounded in Phase 2. They also fixed Cloak of Shadows and I believe Goblin Rocket Jump as well.

Did that yesterday too, to get rid of the buff. -.- it did not work. -> Disengage no longer removes Swirling Winds or Grounded in Phase 2.

Has anyone been using a pet to eat a double strike on Heroic Chimaeron and have it NOT die?!

I heard someone talk about hunters camouflaging their way past trash in ZA and then ressurecting the rest of the group to save time while doing a bear run.

Has anyone tried this? If so, on what trash did you do that?

the only valuable trash where you can use this "tactic" is between bear (2nd) and dragonhawk (3rd). let your grp wipe against the pat between first and second boss and rezz them infront of the third. this should bring you 1-2 minutes..

I noticed something rather strange tonight and I was wondering if anyone had witnessed similar occurrences in this particular encounter or any others.

I was working on Heroic Counsel for the first time tonight something rather strange happened. I set myself up in a bad position with frost orb where the flame patch was on the ground and the frost orb was in between myself and it while I was on the stage. I assumed that a disengage would work seeing as I was under the impression that disengage acted on the premise of you start in position A and the game never recognizes you as somewhere new until position B. However when I went through the frost orb I exploded. I had previously never run into any situation where that was the case. For example disengage over cutters on sinestra worked fine, or disengaging cutters on Halion or breaths on atramedes. So my question would be has anyone else noticed this occurrence (the specific occurrence being that the game acknowledges you at something other than location A or location B during a disengage) or did I just have a graphical lapse and failed in some other way at the same time.

One last thing I want to mention, I had deterrence up as well, I was under the impression the orb had to have a successful melee to explode, which it couldn't do with deterrence up, was I mistaken in that assumption?

I noticed something rather strange tonight and I was wondering if anyone had witnessed similar occurrences in this particular encounter or any others.

I was working on Heroic Counsel for the first time tonight something rather strange happened. I set myself up in a bad position with frost orb where the flame patch was on the ground and the frost orb was in between myself and it while I was on the stage. I assumed that a disengage would work seeing as I was under the impression that disengage acted on the premise of you start in position A and the game never recognizes you as somewhere new until position B. However when I went through the frost orb I exploded. I had previously never run into any situation where that was the case. For example disengage over cutters on sinestra worked fine, or disengaging cutters on Halion or breaths on atramedes. So my question would be has anyone else noticed this occurrence (the specific occurrence being that the game acknowledges you at something other than location A or location B during a disengage) or did I just have a graphical lapse and failed in some other way at the same time.

One last thing I want to mention, I had deterrence up as well, I was under the impression the orb had to have a successful melee to explode, which it couldn't do with deterrence up, was I mistaken in that assumption?

I think the "game thinks you're at the disengage origin until you land" thing would only apply for things that are actually tied position on the ground. For things like mobs or orbs that need to melee you to do something, it might just care about your actual position during transit. But since you had deterrence up and it didn't work (I think earlier in the thread someone confirmed that this does stop the orb triggering though?) that seems to counter the theory that the orb would try to land a melee attack before exploding.

Tangentially related, we could try to test the "meleeing a disengaging target" by disengaging off a cliff with a parachute cloak, there should be a pretty long pause between liftoff and landing, and I'm fairly sure a melee at your origin wouldn't be able to melee you all the way down from the top of the cliff. Could also check whether a DnD/consecration at your origin keeps ticking on you the whole way down.

It has worked this way (on at least some encounters) at least as far back as Wrath of the Lich King, I found out the hard way that disengaging over a shadow trap on LK will trigger it.

What's the best way for a hunter to handle the eyestalks in P3 for Heroic Cho'gall? What interrupts can we use?

What's the best way for a hunter to handle the eyestalks in P3 for Heroic Cho'gall? What interrupts can we use?

Scatter shot, silencing shot, and thats about it. As surv wyvern sting might work, but then you wont have silencing shot. Apart from that, youre a hunter which means you can deal great burst at a range - target the ones who aren't grouped up and singletarget them, let aoe classes deal with the ones that are bunched up. Try to last hit them for 50 free focus from rapid killing.

As to not go entirely "off topic", one of the things I as a hunter do to ease the difficulty of cho'gall heroic, is picking up a spec with Entrapment. We place the pools like this:

Pool - Pool

....Pool

....Pool

Where the two first pools are at the entrance. Now, when you get to the third and the fourth pool, you can throw in a freezing/snake trap (I personally go with freezing as we have another hunter for a freezing trap closer to the raid for slows, but if youre solo slowing it might be better with a snake) in the nearest pool - entrapment will root them for 4 seconds, letting *all* the bloods from the pools behind them catch up before they start moving.

This means you can AOE them all much more effective as theyre all clumped up, and not just coming one wave at time, four times.

Do note that you should under NO circumstances have entrapment spec on Omnotrons, as the root will make the poison bombs go crazy and just attack the nearest target, no matter who theyre focusing (aka exploding melee).

This is ofcourse an entirely moot point if you have a warrior to jump and make sure the pools all land on the same spot (although you still could root the adds for 4 secs to buy more time if theyre a problem).

On Al'akir heroic, don't be afraid to switch into nature aspect if you get a lightning trigger on your position in phase 1 - it should be a dmg reduction of about 20%, which is *alot* for survivability in this fight. Even if it lowers your dps ever so slightly.

On Nefarian Heroic, I usually find it beneficial to wait with the cd's untill I am sitting on Nef, and / or have a big stacked dominion buff. Onyxia leaves the 80% careful aim range extremely fast, while nef stays in it for ALL of phase 1.

Do note that you should under NO circumstances have entrapment spec on Omnotrons, as the root will make the poison bombs go crazy and just attack the nearest target, no matter who theyre focusing (aka exploding melee).

Fortunately the poison bombs on Omnotron are an exception to this rule, I think.

We had trouble killing the adds fast enough without entrapment and the use of multiple traps, so I specifically asked our melee about this: he said it's no problem for him to attack a rooted poison bomb.

Scatter shot, silencing shot, and thats about it. As surv wyvern sting might work, but then you wont have silencing shot.

I don't believe that Scatter Shot nor Wyvern Sting work on the Eye Stalks.

If you get shadow infusion on you during Omnitron you can FD it if you're quick enough and you lose the debuff