Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trouble

In Development - Guild Banks and Voice Chat

104 posts in this topic

I seem to be behind the times. I've tried a couple vent/TS overlay programs to tell me who was speaking when they broadcast over vent, but none of them worked particularly well (or at least consistently).

Am I missing some very basic program that displays the "who's speaking" on my screen? If not, I would want to use the built-in one Blizzard is developing for this reason alone.

With the VoIP situation, the only problem I would have would it being monitored which I would assume it could be. Not all guilds when in raids/parties have the cleanest language. I know for a fact half our guild would be banned if we had "typed" what we said and they have seen it. The nice thing about ventrillo is, hey to bad you screwed up listen to the gm curse you out for sucking and you can't do anything, whereas with VoIP they could possibly report?

Edit:

I seem to be behind the times. I've tried a couple vent/TS overlay programs to tell me who was speaking when they broadcast over vent, but none of them worked particularly well (or at least consistently).

Am I missing some very basic program that displays the "who's speaking" on my screen? If not, I would want to use the built-in one Blizzard is developing for this reason alone.

I use voice overlay, shows who is talking in vent on the screen in warcraft.

I use voice overlay, shows who is talking in vent on the screen in warcraft.

For the record, do you mean this VoiceOverlay? I'm a little paranoid about downloading random WoW-related binaries in this age of keyloggers--as I hope everyone here is.

In game VOIP is going to open a whole new world of griefing people which blizzard won't be able to do anything about. Ever had to password your raid channel in vent when you got spammed or some random came online broadcasting static etc... good times.

Lets just hope patch 2.2 doesn't take another 4 months ;)

Just remember that in Blizzardspeak, 'after patch 2.1' could as easily mean patch 2.4 or 12.0.

In game VOIP is going to open a whole new world of griefing people which blizzard won't be able to do anything about. Ever had to password your raid channel in vent when you got spammed or some random came online broadcasting static etc... good times.

Uh, how? You just kick them out of your group/raid. Or you turn off the in-game voice chat.

The more interesting question is how the TOS will be applied or enforced (how?) in this setting. If someone is using profanity or whatever in chat channels, they can get reported and sanctioned based on the chat logs. If someone in my PUG is throwing around racial slurs left and right, what can people do except ignore him?

Uh, how? You just kick them out of your group/raid. Or you turn off the in-game voice chat.

The more interesting question is how the TOS will be applied or enforced (how?) in this setting. If someone is using profanity or whatever in chat channels, they can get reported and sanctioned based on the chat logs. If someone in my PUG is throwing around racial slurs left and right, what can people do except ignore him?

I imagine a /ignore will work to filter out the VOIP comments from people as well as chat. If not, that should become a quickly requested feature.

Depending on the storage resources they have at thier disposal it could be possible to cache all traffic for a set period of time, so they can be reviewed by GMs. Knowledge of this ability may be enough to curb the majority of complete assholes.

In game VOIP will certainly add another facet to the "omg ur a girl1!?!?!?!11" experience. Especially for those of us who find it difficult to keep their mouth shut. :ninja:

In game VOIP will certainly add another facet to the "omg ur a girl1!?!?!?!11" experience. Especially for those of us who find it difficult to keep their mouth shut. :ninja:

No girls I know are like that <_<

The real issue arises from battleground pick up groups, where no one person has control over the group to remove belligerent or otherwise crappy players. They get obnoxious (I'm using a nice word) over WoWVoIP and no one can do anything about it. In any other situation, the group leader has control and can get rid of them, and thereby their VoIP abilities.

No girls I know are like that <_<

The real issue arises from battleground pick up groups, where no one person has control over the group to remove belligerent or otherwise crappy players. They get obnoxious (I'm using a nice word) over WoWVoIP and no one can do anything about it. In any other situation, the group leader has control and can get rid of them, and thereby their VoIP abilities.

Battlegrounds still have leaders, I'm assuming that party/raid leaders will have some sort of moderation control over VoIP.

Battlegrounds still have leaders, I'm assuming that party/raid leaders will have some sort of moderation control over VoIP.

I personally haven't found a consistent pattern used by Blizzard to determine who the BG leader is. Often times, it's like pulling teeth to get the BG leader to relinquish leadership so that a partial group can be organized into groups. If the BG leader is allowed moderation rights on VoIP, I would imagine there to be even greater struggle for leadership.

Anecdotal evidence seems to point at whoever enters the BG first gets leadership, which would certainly explain why afk-script-running-honor-farmers seem to get BG leadership so often.

I think VoIP is something that would be very hard to implement, if Blizzard decides to take on the challenge.

Guild Bank is a long overdue addition though.

I was actually going to make a new thread about how having guild banks and guild halls would be fantastic - but I'm glad to see it is already in motion.

VoIP will likely suck, if history is any indication...

But the guild bank will be interesting - I don't think guilds really have a method of compensating a full weeks of repairs from drops in the raid like in the MC days, so I'm curious how that will work.

One way around this is to use two monitors and run Ventrilo in the monitor that WoW isn't using. Then you can glance over to see who's talking and who's in the channel. Although it's still impractical for people saying "heal me!" during a tense fight, unfortunately.

We've got a bank with decent funds for our size, mostly from selling DE'd stuff from Karazhan.

We currently don't really have a use for the funds, though. I don't want to use them for enchants since that'd be too hard to keep track of.

I'm thinking we can use the new bank feature to pay for all of our Main character's repairs. Some people may benefit more, but it'll be pretty hard to abuse (short of people being more reckless because they know repairs are free.)

One way around this is to use two monitors and run Ventrilo in the monitor that WoW isn't using. Then you can glance over to see who's talking and who's in the channel. Although it's still impractical for people saying "heal me!" during a tense fight, unfortunately.

This is how I have been doing it WorldofWarcraftScreenSnapz003.jpg

Having TS between WoW and the edge of the screen so I could see who was talking.

We have never used ts/vent for raiding until very recently and even now it's more on a 'join if you want to' basis. So this thing could help us save some wipes maybe, even if honestly apart from one time at Mag where someone clicked early I can't imagine anything else right now. But seems we are a really small minority seeing that pretty much everyone else uses ts/vent. I am actually curious if there was any other guild who never used ts/vent up to now.

As for guild banks, we need specifics, it could range from brilliant to indifferent depending on implementation. Guild banks in daoc were pretty much were you put your useless things when your inventory was full, so it was pointless really.

I personally haven't found a consistent pattern used by Blizzard to determine who the BG leader is. Often times, it's like pulling teeth to get the BG leader to relinquish leadership so that a partial group can be organized into groups. If the BG leader is allowed moderation rights on VoIP, I would imagine there to be even greater struggle for leadership.

First person to join the BG gets leader.

First person to join the BG gets leader.

Has that changed then ? Right after the 2.0 patch hit pre-xpack during the pvp rush we found that the BG leader would just jump to random people as they joined, and our HWL shaman said it had to do with your pvp ranking. I had leader a number of times and was arranging groups in AV for our guild honor grinding only to have some afk guy in the cave suddenly get it when they joined.

It was some combination of rank and speed to enter before Burning Crusade. Not sure if it continues to be or not.

For the record, do you mean this VoiceOverlay? I'm a little paranoid about downloading random WoW-related binaries in this age of keyloggers--as I hope everyone here is.

http://www.teamspeakoverlay.com/ works quite well for TS.

Has anyone tried either of these programs? The faq of TSoverlay (the second link) makes me believe it crashes your game when you alt tab, which would make it rather worthless during raiding (yes, I alt tab alot ;) ).

Could use some first hand experience.

I use VoiceOverlay, and other than me forgetting to turn it off when I start a non-WoW 3D application (which means it appears when I don't really want it to and make me restart the application), it works just fine.