Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carebare

[Balance] Simple Questions + WoL Feedback

147 posts in this topic

Hey,

I'm unsure as to when I should be getting my NG popped. Should I refresh MF/IS (whichever one has least ticks left) as soon as I reach eclipse, regardless of how long MF/IS has left? Since that would, I would have thought, give more DPS. Or should I just refresh the dots when they run out and therefore NG is just popped when it's popped?

You should always refresh your DoTs when you hit Eclipse to maximize the NG uptime. Outside of that, the generally accepted wisdom is to also refresh right before leaving Solar. I'm not sure if it was ever determined if it was worthwhile to refresh just before leaving Lunar.

You should always refresh your DoTs when you hit Eclipse to maximize the NG uptime. Outside of that, the generally accepted wisdom is to also refresh right before leaving Solar. I'm not sure if it was ever determined if it was worthwhile to refresh just before leaving Lunar.

Thanks for the advice.

Refresh both DoTs? Isn't that kinda a waste of a GCD since you only need to refresh one to proc NG?

Lunar shower for end-game, PvE. Yes or no?

No. Put your points in Perseverance or a mana talent instead. There is so little constant movement in Dragon Soul that there really isn't any need for it. (And yes, it no longer refreshes while moving but it's a severe DPS loss anyhow, so the only place you'd use it is while on the move)

Thanks for the advice.

Refresh both DoTs? Isn't that kinda a waste of a GCD since you only need to refresh one to proc NG?

No. The primary beneficiary of NG is your Moonfire, which is why you want to hit IS to proc NG, then cast Moonfire/Sunfire so that it receives the benefit.

Hi guys. I'm here once again to ask if (except the off-hand, because I was raiding with Ti'tahk (procs haste) instead) is there something wrong. I use the wrong back, since I had to go hybrid for a while, but now I changed to full balance.

My DPS is around 50k burst and 30~32k sustained (with the Ti'tahk, not the dagged as equipped).

Denroz @ Goldrinn - Game Guide - World of Warcraft

Thanks

The biggest thing I noticed in comparing your Ultraxion log to my own is your Nature's Grace and Eclipse % times are both significantly lower. Try to tighten up your rotation to maximize these buffs. It's quite a challenge on Ultraxion due to Fading Light, and you'll still have good pulls and bad pulls. FYI, my eclipse up time was close to 80% and Nature's Grace was over 60%. I have DTR, and the procs help with these, but you could still improve in that area. Also, Glyph of Focus is a DPS increase on Ultraxion.

May i have ur logs?

Will of the Unbinding will be first, of course, and Variable pulse capacitor second. The others are well behind.

Does anybody have any useful macros for a boomkin that might help to maximize use of the eclipse. I'm just starting 85 lvl heroics (just recently made 85) and anything I can get would be of assistance, except unnecessary criticism, of course.

If my understanding of what you're saying is right, that advice is wrong. The only situation where you should clip DoTs at the start of an Eclipse phase is if 1) it's Solar (because of buffed IS instead of non-buffed IS) 2) NG is down (so you don't lose uptime) and crucially 3) you're sure that you're going to refresh twice in that Eclipse anyway because of some boss mechanic. Refreshing DoTs when entering Eclipses is a waste of GCDs since you're refreshing too often in that case (and it doesn't improve NG uptime since you're always getting a full NG per Eclipse)

Optimal DoT refreshing aims to minimize amount of refreshes while keeping near 100% Eclipsed uptime. That's currently accomplished by:

1) Refreshing DoTs at the end of an Eclipse if they are going to expire before the next Eclipse phase.

2) Otherwise, refreshing DoTs when they expire.

Because of 1), when you refresh under condition 2) you're going to refresh on Eclipse.

Those conditions are not optimal under all situations but they're very close to being optimal.

I have a couple of questions which I would be very grateful if you could answer.

- Why is Gale Winds always taken? I see an extreme minority of people without this talent, yet with the exception of some fights such as Madness where loads and loads of little adds spawn, Hurricane is never used. (And Typhoon is rarely used too, and obviously it's not for DPS)

- Why is Blessing of the Grove rarely chosen? It's clearly a DPS increase, albeit a very minor one, but a DPS increase all the same. If you don't need mana talents then I don't really see why more people aren't taking this.

- Greater Mastery or Haste on gloves? WrathCalcs shows a ~12 DPS increase with the mastery, but I am not sure if I have even seen someone with this enchant ever!

As far as Gale Winds, what else would you take? Blessing of the Grove is a grand total of 30 DPS (single target) for me, according to Wrathcalcs, so it's nice to have the extra damage for when I do use them (specifically, for the last phase of Madness where I use the Hurricane glyph as our main slow).

I have Greater Mastery on gloves, as you say it is slightly ahead on paper at high gear levels. I use it simply because I had just been progressing on Spine/Madness and didn't feel there was much value in swapping back for farming the zone. If I was still progressing on fights like Ultraxion (how many casts have you had to clip there at the last second, etc) or shooting for rankings, I'd use Haste.

Thanks for the hasty reply. I'm trying to refine exactly which talents to use to be in the optimal spec, as I should hopefully be back raiding in a couple of weeks. (I took a very long hiatus from raiding this patch, I did Mor and Yor and then stopped, though I did progress extensively on Hagara and Ultraxion, but wasn't there for the kills.)

Furor > Moonglow, right?

So Dreamstate > Furor?

Is Fungal Growth worth getting or not? I see lots of people with it but I can't imagine it has huge amounts of use.

Thanks! :)

Oh, and yeah I just looked on WC and Blessing of the Grove is only a 21 DPS increase - think I'll put some in something more useful, maybe Perseverance.

I use Fungal Growth all the time, I love that talent! The slow is awesome for Madness bloods in phase 2, but outside of that I can really only think of Beth'tilac spiderling duty. Oh, and PvP.

I personally pick up the Dreamstate talent for a better innervate when I use it on myself (90% of the time). You shouldn't have any mana problems whatsoever, though.

When the PTR goes live (5.0.4) are we still looking at crit being the stat to reforge to? Any haste caps to aim for etc.?

Edit: Speaking specifically about lvl 85 caps for pre-MoP

Haste remains best as before.There are breakpoints, but it remains best after those breakpoints too. Crit was looking to be very, very slightly ahead of Mastery for single target (although, Mastery is obviously much stronger for burst/multidot situations).

Things are still changing, though.

Thanks for your reply Tecton. I'm really struggling trying to figure out the haste breakpoints now with DI being changed and all. Losing our relic really hosed up the target breakpoint for me.

Thanks for your reply Tecton. I'm really struggling trying to figure out the haste breakpoints now with DI being changed and all. Losing our relic really hosed up the target breakpoint for me.

I've been compiling breakpoint data for MoP for level 85 and level 90.

Haste remains best as before.There are breakpoints, but it remains best after those breakpoints too. Crit was looking to be very, very slightly ahead of Mastery for single target (although, Mastery is obviously much stronger for burst/multidot situations).

Things are still changing, though.

I understood that Crit takes priority over haste due to crit SF/wrath or starsurge crits increasing the duration of moonfire/sunfire. that would effectively negate one of the main advantage of haste, that is to get more ticks/cast of the dot. Haste will still allow for faster ticking dots i guess, as well as faster casts of SF/wrath.

in addition, the other plus for haste used to be getting to and cycling eclipse stats is faster. But with soul of the forest speeding us through non eclipse state. plus being able to set state at start of encounter ... I could definitely see how crit may take precedence.

yes that should be correct. our haste break points changed after they nerfed dot times from 18->14s

if i cant reach 5273 bp cause im miles of should i reforge into crit or go for haste eventho i wont make the bp?