Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizeowel

[Cataclysm] Mage Simple Questions and Answers (Read the First Post)

213 posts in this topic

I've read the compendium and there says I've to use the Flame Orb to regenerate mana because the high rate of AM procs, but I'm asking my self after reading some WoL and notice the majority of Arcane Mages are using it in the opening of the fight and on cooldown, my question is, is this real worth to use on cooldown for a dps gain?

Use it conditionally. For a stand and nuke fight, use Flame Orb on CD for extra damage. However some fights call for small burst periods, or other reasons why your mana might drop. In these scenarios, if your Flame Orb CD is about ready, you might as well use it to get you from 70% mana back to 95% quicker than you otherwise would be able to.

Example of times when you drop below 95% mana during a non-burn phase and a Flame Orb can help you out:

Ignacious shield - you want to land a few 4stack AB's on him.

Rohash storm shield - " "

Periods of sustained burst, regardless of Evoc cooldown. For example Nefarion achievement: you are probably going to do a full burn, Evocate, then a full burn again. Now you've completed the 50% landing, but you're oom and 1:30 from an Evocate. Flame Orb can help you get some mana back.

I've read the compendium and there says I've to use the Flame Orb to regenerate mana because the high rate of AM procs, but I'm asking my self after reading some WoL and notice the majority of Arcane Mages are using it in the opening of the fight and on cooldown, my question is, is this real worth to use on cooldown for a dps gain?

Yes. Flame Orb has the highest DPET of any of our spells (highest DPM as well, possibly), so it's worth using every time it's off of its cooldown.

Looking at the latest 4.2 patch notes (Here) the only mention of spell steal is a 100% mana cost. Does this mean they have removed the 6 second cooldown or is this on top of that and they simply didn't mention it?

Looking at the latest 4.2 patch notes (Here) the only mention of spell steal is a 100% mana cost. Does this mean they have removed the 6 second cooldown or is this on top of that and they simply didn't mention it?

Yes, they undid the 6sec-cooldown-change (in build 14179).

There used to be a mage general information thread. This thread covered mage basics that was common to all specs and had other additional useful information in the first post such as what classes shared similar buff effects and similar debuff effects. With it gone from the mage subsection I looked about for an archived threads place yet didn't see one. So my question is, what other classes put up a Critical Mass type effect on targets and what spell/ability do they have that does this?

what other classes put up a Critical Mass type effect on targets and what spell/ability do they have that does this?

Go here MMO-Champion RaidComp and hover over Debuffs > Spell Critical Strike Chance and you'll see that Mages provide it with Critical Mass and Warlocks provide it with Shadow and Flame.

Which is the best way to interpret the simc results to apply them into my reforges/gems/enchants? I was analyzing the scale factors and then reforging into the better stat presented there.

Which is the best way to interpret the simc results to apply them into my reforges/gems/enchants? I was analyzing the scale factors and then reforging into the better stat presented there.

I personally prefer to use RAWR to evaluate these changes and upgrades. But yes, generally reforge from the lesser stat to the higher weighted stat. I've also found WoW Reforge Calculator & Optimizer to be handy with this. Just input your stat weight and give it guidelines and click go. You can do it without guidelines as well.

If the goal is to be final users of a setup and we're not doing any special research, it is highly problematic to start with SimCraft and follow with Rawr. We should start from Rawr and ideally verify with SimCraft. This is because SimCraft can not simultaneously simulate with all the items we have available, with all the available combinations on them (gems, reforges, enchants). It will require a lot of trial and error to find the outcomes with every single item and stat combination that are available.

On top of that, one may fall into a trap: the game is not simple; if one is not aware of certain "soft caps" or other similar conditions, merely stacking a stat on Rawr without using the Optimization tool or starting with a Simulator by merely stacking a stat, there may appear to be an impressive DPS increase roadmap. However, that may be a false positive since reaching - or surpassing - a so called "soft cap" or other similar condition may produce an abruptly different outcome.

There used to be a mage general information thread. This thread covered mage basics that was common to all specs and had other additional useful information in the first post such as what classes shared similar buff effects and similar debuff effects. With it gone from the mage subsection I looked about for an archived threads place yet didn't see one...

As the bottom of the Mage subsection of the forum there is a part named "Display Options". Find the dropdown named "From The" and select "Beginning" to see all the posts ever made in the mage section. I would normally PM such information, but I have a feeling there are other readers who didn't realise the wealth of information and discussion that is available.

I've been using Rawr for quite a while now and on my last run of it, it has started leaving my hit at 15%. I always make sure I have the hit rating set at > 17 and until now it's always done a perfect job at making sure my hit stays at or very close to or even just a hair above 17%. I was just wondering if something within Rawr changed, or is this an error on my part, etc.

My mage has 1746 hit rating (so the tooltip estimates my chance to miss raid bosses at 0%). Why have I seen misses from my living bomb on trash mobs in 5 mans?

(I searched the other threads for 'miss' and didn't see any discussion of this topic).

My mage has 1746 hit rating (so the tooltip estimates my chance to miss raid bosses at 0%). Why have I seen misses from my living bomb on trash mobs in 5 mans?

(I searched the other threads for 'miss' and didn't see any discussion of this topic).

Which instance? Can you remember the name of the mobs?

If you are still seeing misses despite being at hit cap, then the only reason (because we no longer have to rely on other classes placing a debuff on the boss) is that you are under the effect of a debuff which decreases your hit chance or the mob itself has a buff which reduces the hit chance of players.

Which instance? Can you remember the name of the mobs?

I was in ZA, and I believe it was one of the packs with the flame casters. I've looked through some of the mob's abilities on Wowhead and I don't see anything relevant. I'll watch again next time I go through there.

Some mobs there become immune to all attacks. Perhaps the "miss" you saw was an immune, but whatever tool you used (Recount, RSA, etc) displayed the text "miss".

Combustion combines dots, is it usefull to use a spellpower-trinket with combustion, or should i use the trinket to get high ignites for combustion?

Due to the way combustion is working, I think that the better way to use a "on Use" Intel Trinket is to use it just before cast it. It have to be active when you refresh LB and cast Pyro!.

As of my last testing, Int/SP trinkets would need to be active when you cast combustion in order to boost the contribution of LB/pyro. It is irrelevant whether or not they are active when you last refreshed the LB/pyro dots (for the purpose of combustion).

Now, you still might want to use them ahead of time to try to get a good ignite, but I haven't run the probabilities to see which is likely to give you better damage.

I'm wondering about Master of Elements talent when using Shard of Woe. Does the trinket affect mana refund calculation ?

I remember posts from before Cataclysm talking about later raiding tiers having a higher hit cap, but I haven't heard anything about it since. Has the hit cap changed for Firelands, or is it still at 17% and 1742 rating?

I remember posts from before Cataclysm talking about later raiding tiers having a higher hit cap, but I haven't heard anything about it since. Has the hit cap changed for Firelands, or is it still at 17% and 1742 rating?

Yes it is still 1742 rating. They mentioned adding that for later tiers in case gear starts to get out of control like it did in wrath and as of right now, that is not the case.

I'm wondering about Master of Elements talent when using Shard of Woe. Does the trinket affect mana refund calculation ?

No, it does not. The refund is just as high as without the Shard.

I got a question about the arcane haste cap for tier11.

I've heard that it's already possible to reach the haste cap during Bloodlust/Timewarp etc, and I myself are not a big fan/user of Rawr/simulation, so I wonder. If your raid has the correct raidbuffs and raidsetup, and you use your TW/BL with everything else, where is the cap to be exact, in haste rating + talents?

I've tried to look it up on rawr but I havent managed to figure out how.

Thanks in advance!