Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cochice

[Enhancement] 4.2 - Someone Spilled Spells all over this Axe

63 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm posting this because I can't try it out myself, but I've noticed from various logs of enhance shamans that use EoP, that FT is doing more damage at the end of the fight than WF.

Wouldn't it be worth going double FT (with EoP as MH), so that you gain furthermore spell damage (also would allow you to skip WF glyph and get the 2% spell crit extra from the FT glyph). Thus, also buffing LS, LB, LvB, FS and ES damage.

What you're also looking at is a roughly double damage increase from UE (2 x flame, instead of 1xflame + 1xwind).

Has anyone actually tested this in Live and could provide me proper feedback?

(My guild refuses to give EoP to a non-healer/caster player, and we have had only 2 drops so far).

P.S. I can't run EnhSim, because I use Macintosh software.

Windfury isn't just about the direct damage. Each proc is 3 chances for MW stacks/Flurry/Landslide procs. UE_WF is also a lot of additional white damage. Then there is the ICD on Flametongue to take into account. It's only 0.15 seconds but it does mean you will only get 1 FT proc with each SS along with costing you additional procs whenever the swing timers coincide.

TLDR - WF/FT is more dps then FT/FT even with EoP, hard casting, and a glyph swap.

With H-EoP as our new BiS MH (with H gate off) I'm a little unclear on how our priorities change. I presume our LL is still king with SS on CD as well, but how exactly are we suppoesd to work in Lava burst now. And won't using that consume MW proc buildups that we would use for LBs (thereby getting fewer of those). Does anything really change from what we're used to?

I'll have to see it in practice a few times to understand it I'm sure as it hasn't dropped for me yet, but I guess this will make UE, LB, FS/ES, lightning shield shock, and searing totem/totem tick effect move up considerably in the damage breakdown.

Lava Burst fits in at the very end of your priority queue. I personally fit it in after MW2 - so if SS/LL/UE/Shock is all on CD, as long as I have around 2 seconds or longer left on the next ability coming off cooldown, I'll hard cast the Lava Burst and will typically be ready for the next ability without skipping a beat. I still prioritize MW2 over Lava Burst though, but often enough I can get off the lightning bolt + the lava burst before the next ability comes off CD. (Typically you'll feel the right time for the hard cast whenever UE was used, then your SS/LL gets used and the next ability in your priority is Earth Shock - after that Earth Shock you should notice a nice gap of about 4 to 5 seconds before your Stormstrike + LL is coming off cool down. This is the perfect time for the MW2 / Lava Burst.)

Looks like the T13 enhancement set bonuses are up

Enhancement, 2P -- While you have any stacks of Maelstrom Weapon, your Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, and healing spells deal 20% more healing or damage.

Enhancement, 4P -- Your Feral Spirits have a 45% chance to grant you a charge of Maelstrom Weapon each time they deal damage.

Not sure about this set of bonuses. This might make haste more interesting to us.

Looks like the T13 enhancement set bonuses are up

Not sure about this set of bonuses. This might make haste more interesting to us.

The 2pc bonus is essentially a ~2% damage increase. Based on the current sim, we proc MSW 45 times per minute, or 90 times every 2 minutes. The dogs currently have a base attack of 1.5 seconds and 1.36 seconds with the haste totem down (I'm going to exclude lust since it only affects 1 out of every 3 feral spirits 'normally'). Each wolf will attack 22 times per cast, or 44 times in total, meaning we will get an extra ~20 procs every 2 minutes, or 10 procs per minute. We currently cast LB on average 10 times a minute, and can reasonably expect to cast it another 2-3 times with the additional 10 MSW procs per minute. This works out to ~2.5% more damage overall.

2pc: 2% damage increase

4pc: 2.5% damage increase(3% with 2pc bonus)

Total set bonus: 5% damage increase.

This is fairly potent considering how our current 2 and 4pc bonus are worth roughly 1.3 and 1.9% respectively. Of course this is all napkin math, so ymmv.

The problem with the 4 piece bonus, in my opinion, is that, at least anecdotally, (and I know that's frowned upon here but I lack the wherewithal to come up with an analytic version) I'm getting to the point where I'm almost GCD capped, assuming no (or very very little) haste on my gear. Is this what you mean by "makes haste more attractive"? Because I do not think that I could fit 2 extra LB's into a cycle with LVB in it. I'm lucky if I don't waste a charge of maelstrom weapon before I can press the button. Although, I do find it interesting how they tie it into the cooldown that I only press because it's there, not because I get any kind of excitement out of how little damage they do... they seem to have done this to a lot of other not very interesting (read : not compelling gameplay) abilities.

Note : this is not simmed like it should be, but I'm assuming an average player's ability to click the button in time to avoid wasted MW charges. The sim may be able to use the charges in time, but I'm not entirely certain a player could.

I just updated EnhSim to see how good these bonuses are and here's what I have. This is just using the default config.txt file from 2.6.1 and just changing the bonus

[table=head]Tier Bonus|DPS|Increase over base

Base w/ no bonus|31920.92|--

T12 2P|32383.54|1.45%

T12 4P|32980.90|3.32%

T13 2P|32726.00|2.52%

T13 4P|N/A|N/A

[/table]

Heh, not bad for napkin math. I don't have the T13 4P bonus, since EnhSim never needed to model the feral spirits procing something. I'll fiddle around with it and see if I can get the T13 4p numbers soon.

The problem with the 4 piece bonus, in my opinion, is that, at least anecdotally, (and I know that's frowned upon here but I lack the wherewithal to come up with an analytic version) I'm getting to the point where I'm almost GCD capped, assuming no (or very very little) haste on my gear. Is this what you mean by "makes haste more attractive"? Because I do not think that I could fit 2 extra LB's into a cycle with LVB in it. I'm lucky if I don't waste a charge of maelstrom weapon before I can press the button. Although, I do find it interesting how they tie it into the cooldown that I only press because it's there, not because I get any kind of excitement out of how little damage they do... they seem to have done this to a lot of other not very interesting (read : not compelling gameplay) abilities.

Note : this is not simmed like it should be, but I'm assuming an average player's ability to click the button in time to avoid wasted MW charges. The sim may be able to use the charges in time, but I'm not entirely certain a player could.

I was under the impression that hard casting LvB was only viable under 2 circumstances: You are using a Spell Power Weapon and you have the 4pc bonus from t12. Without both conditions being met, you are better off not using LvB in your rotation. This should ensure you are not gcd capped when you are rocking with the 2 and 4pc t13 set bonuses.

I think this is a legitimate concern with the 4P bonus. If you look at the numbers from EnhSim with the default config.txt file, we are getting around 46 PPM for Maelstrom Weapon, or 23 procs during 30 seconds. With that 4 piece bonus, we are going to have a huge spike in MW procs. Using your earlier estimates, we should be getting an extra 20 MW procs while our Feral Spirits are up. That's almost doubling the number of MW procs, from 23 to 43. According to the sim, we are already only about 87% efficient with MW. We are going to lose some of the effectiveness of the set bonus because we just won't be able to keep up.

EDIT: I just coded up the start of the T13 4P piece bonus and you can start to see this effect. Here's the breakdown on MW PPM(lost are MW procs when we are already at 5 stacks, eaten are MW procs that happen while we are casting with less than 5 stacks):

[table="head]|Procs(PPM)|Lost(PPM)|Eaten(PPM)

T12 4P|45.92|5.06|0.53

T13 4P|56.54|9.62|1.01

T13 4P BL|59.49|11.26|1.12[/table]

The bottom row is setting the always BloodLust when Feral Spirits are up option. You can really see the spike in the number of MW proc that are getting eaten when the feral spirits are always lusted. While the number of procs increase by almost 3, half of those procs are just getting lost since we are already at 5 stacks.

EDIT2: Ok, I finished coding up the T13 4P bonus and it's abit disappointing given the wasted MW procs from the bonus. This might be what Blizzard is going for since an overall DPS gain of 3.5% might be what their target is. I added in using both the T12 2P and the T13 2P since that might be the way to go with this preliminary bonus.

[table]Tier Bonus|DPS|Increase over base

Base w/ no bonus|31920.92|--

T12 2P|32383.54|1.45%

T12 4P|32980.90|3.32%

T13 2P|32726.00|2.52%

T13 4P|33031.95|3.48%

T12 2P & T13 2P|33180.62|3.94%[/table]

Obviously, doing serious number crunching on a set bonus that hasn't even made it to the PTR isn't really useful, but this does give some idea on how they come out.

I would expect the T13 bonuses to modify our action priority list and possibly glyph choices too. Feral Spirits will move higher up the list and its also quite possible the MWx_LB will move up as well. I am also wondering if it would be best to use feral spirits outside of lust to minimize wasted MW procs and ultimately achieve more LBs throughout a fight, assuming this offsets the damage loss of un-lusted wolves. I think that all of these optimizations should also be done for us to better quantify the total effect of the T13 set bonuses.

I would expect the T13 bonuses to modify our action priority list and possibly glyph choices too. Feral Spirits will move higher up the list and its also quite possible the MWx_LB will move up as well. I am also wondering if it would be best to use feral spirits outside of lust to minimize wasted MW procs and ultimately achieve more LBs throughout a fight, assuming this offsets the damage loss of un-lusted wolves. I think that all of these optimizations should also be done for us to better quantify the total effect of the T13 set bonuses.

I would say that Earth Shock will be taken off the priority list when wolves are out to accommodate additional LB casts. Either that, or our 4 piece set bonus is so lack luster its not worth using if there are alternative off-pieces for us next tier.

I would say that Earth Shock will be taken off the priority list when wolves are out to accommodate additional LB casts. Either that, or our 4 piece set bonus is so lack luster its not worth using if there are alternative off-pieces for us next tier.

It's still a substantial bonus. I could see holding onto 2T12 until the ilevel difference makes it worthwhile but doubt it will take much unless T13 is itemized like crap.

Also keep in mind that the default config runs with only MW5 and then MW2 at the lowest position. Try putting MW4 above ES and it's a slight dps increase without even working in the 4T13 bonus and I would expect it to be even more of one when 4T13 gets involved.

It's still a substantial bonus. I could see holding onto 2T12 until the ilevel difference makes it worthwhile but doubt it will take much unless T13 is itemized like crap.

Also keep in mind that the default config runs with only MW5 and then MW2 at the lowest position. Try putting MW4 above ES and it's a slight dps increase without even working in the 4T13 bonus and I would expect it to be even more of one when 4T13 gets involved.

While the T13 2P is pretty nice, that T13 4P bonus is gonna be abit tricky to get maximum effect out of it. In any case, I've uploaded an alpha version of EnhSim so people can play around with either bonus.