Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fnar

Cataclysm 4.2.x Raid Mechanics

359 posts in this topic

It's also worth noting that you cannot use your thrown to knockback the Living Meteors in the Ragnaros' last phase. While the Dungeon Journal only states that you have to attack it in order to knock it back, it only triggers from spells.

I used Thrown on meteors last night for our kill. Worked just fine....

I used Thrown on meteors last night for our kill. Worked just fine....

Yup. Did this last night when I was kiting one.

If you feint before running out of your group for 'searing seed' on Majordomo that will reduce your explosion damage. My group had players running out at 5 seconds left on the timer so feint should work just fine if you use it in this manner.

If you feint before running out of your group for 'searing seed' on Majordomo that will reduce your explosion damage. My group had players running out at 5 seconds left on the timer so feint should work just fine if you use it in this manner.

Does searing seeds do damage to the person with seeds running out? or just aoe people if there in range? were discussing this in guild and none of us can think back one or the other.

"Searing Seeds

Explodes after a period of time, causing 60000 Fire damage to up to friends within 12 yards.

1 minute remaining"

So on a different note I've been going up during Alysrazor's flight with the feathers and im seeing other rogues On WoL doing absurd Dps with the haste buff but even keeping normal rotation with assassination and just spamming backstab and envenom im not reaching those numbers by a long shot. Any tips?

I guess I'd be one of those rogues. Well, first off, the most important thing is to get to 25 stacks as fast as possible to get 100% crit (+75% crit debuff) and keep those up even while in the tornado phase. If you can refresh your stack shortly before the tornado phase ends, you'll have your crit/haste buff during the complete burn phase and can keep it till she's almost up on 100 energy.

The other thing is: don't bother with backstab most of the fight. As soon as you start energy capping, spam mutilate instead of backstab even if she is below 35%. Also I've been keeping rupture up (as most other rogues in the top WoL spots for Alysrazor) and not just spam Mutilate/Envenom, however I'm not sure if it's a big difference.

Aldriana looked at the actual damage values for envenom vs. rupture in the mutilate thread and showed that rupture is actually more damage per gcd spent than envenom, so - yes, you should rupture, even at crit cap and maxing on energy.

Two more things on Majordomo's fight:

- Using cloak well timed right before his transition to human form (after your raid group up) and his stun, prevents you from getting searing seed.

- Combat Readiness can be used to mitigate scorpion's cleave. My group was trying to withstand around 10-11 cleaves and due that the last (3-4) ones were used within enough time for Combat Readiness not drop at all.

Since both are now sharing cooldown, we would have to choose which one would be better. CR is definetely easier to do tho and combined with feint makes healers job a little smoother.

Two more things on Majordomo's fight:

- Using cloak well timed right before his transition to human form (after your raid group up) and his stun, prevents you from getting searing seed.

Cloak immune, or cloak resist? Makes a big difference in timing. :/

Ragnaros: You can cloak-immune Meteor Impact (e.g. kite it to a corner and hop through it).

[21:27:21.351] Zujamar gains Cloak of Shadows from Zujamar

[21:27:21.978] Living Meteor Meteor Impact Zujamar Immune

Ragnaros: You can Vanish a meteor fixating you and it will stop then start following a new target.

Ragnaros: You are able to feint the damage from Molten Seed spawning on you, needs confirming but I don't think this damage is cloakable.

Ragnaros: You can fully cloak all of the damage from Molten Inferno.

Cloak immune, or cloak resist? Makes a big difference in timing. :/

Hmm, guess I missed that just watching my debuffs ;~

I'll look for it on my next raid cd.

The Molten Elementals which spawn from the Molten Inferno explosion can be slowed by Crippling Poison (and on a sidenote they can be snared too).

We used this to reduce damage in phase 2. We switched sides everytime the seeds spawned and before the inferno started i feinted or cloaked the explosion, ran towards the elementals and spammed FoK to slow them down.

Makes it a lot easier for the healers to top the group after the explosion.

Vanish appeared to work fine for us now on Heroic Shannox earlier.

Also. You can stun the Unbound Smoldering Elemental trash right as they get their mitigation buff removed. This will prevent them from casting Blazing Flame on themselves and doing significant enough AOE damage.

EDIT: Turns out Alysrazor can cleave you during the start of the fight if you pop Killing Spree as well. Despite being positioned behind the boss, you can indeed be oneshot.

Also for Alysrazor, you can stand on top of the Initiates that spawn around the edge and not take any damage from Brushfire, while still being able to get all attacks in.

During the Shannox fight, Riplimb can be slowed when he's returning the spear the Shannox. Once the spear has been returned though, he can no longer be slowed at all. This helps if you're main tank is kiting Shannox away from Riplimb once he's thrown his spear to drop the Jagged Tear debuff.

Actually the best time to slow him is before he even runs to get the spear. The maximum amount he can be slowed is to 50% speed, which gradually increases by 5% up to the full 100% (i.e. no slow at all) as long as he is carrying the spear or is returning from Shannox.

Dogged Determination - Spell - World of Warcraft

Does this work in heroic mode as well?

Actually the best time to slow him is before he even runs to get the spear.

Just meant he couldn't be slowed until the spear was thrown.

Just meant he couldn't be slowed until the spear was thrown.

Correction, he can't be slowed until he start running to the spear, or at least, there is something else that could be immuned at the time, when spear is in the air. And yes, he can be slowed in HM.

Alysrazor - if you are assigned to being in the air:

Running through the flame arches during phase 2 will refresh Blazing Power , enabling you to keep this up during the burn phase

Cloaking for tornados does not get rid of your Blazing Power (which is actually a debuff on the player)

As a side note, saving vanish and tricks on your tank for when she re-ignites is pretty much mandatory if you have maintained Blazing Power throughout phase 3

Alysrazor heroic - if you are flying, Cloaking the firestorm is not possible. Cloaking basically immunes the first tick but does not influence the remainder of the 5 second channel

[22:27:52.300] Razzoc gains Cloak of Shadows from Razzoc

[22:27:53.018] Alysrazor Firestorm Razzoc Immune

[22:27:54.443] Alysrazor Firestorm Razzoc 80000 (R: 20000)

[22:27:55.248] Alysrazor Firestorm Razzoc 60660 (O: 39340)

[22:27:56.394] Razzoc dies

[22:38:55.310] Razzoc gains Cloak of Shadows from Razzoc

[22:38:56.667] Alysrazor Firestorm Razzoc 100000

[22:38:57.974] Alysrazor Firestorm Razzoc 40936 (O: 49064, R: 10000)

[22:38:58.088] Razzoc dies

[22:44:23.926] Razzoc gains Cloak of Shadows from Razzoc

[22:44:24.591] Alysrazor Firestorm Razzoc Immune

[22:44:25.953] Alysrazor Firestorm Razzoc 80000 (R: 20000)

[22:44:26.860] Alysrazor Firestorm Razzoc 60853 (O: 19147, R: 20000)

[22:44:27.182] Razzoc dies

Spec recommendation

Writing this down so I can revise the boss mechanics in my head

Beth'tilac-Assassination, (Edit:Possibly combat for Heroic)

Combat cleave works nicely if you are on add duty to hit multiple drones or to finish up the remaining adds at the start of phase 2. But if enough dps is left down stairs those drones will die before you get a chance to cleave. Killing spree down stairs or up stairs will add risk to get cleaved by multiple drones or falling through the middle of the web if used at wrong time.

Edit: On Heroic mode, there is plenty of chance to cleave which might make combat the ideal choice.

Assasination aoe is good for spiderlings dps and snare. No risky dps cd, more single target dps in phase two.

Shannox-Assasination

I missed out on nm Shannox last week so I don't know much about killing the dogs, but If thats the strategy you are using then combat cleave might be nice for killing riplimb. For my heroic kill the dogs was left alone so there will be no cleaving. Killing spree is also hard to manage when you have dogs running around.

The extra movement speed from assassination will be useful to get away from rageface after its stunned in trap or catch up to boss if your tank is kiting it away. I swapped my focus ToT macro for a pure target's target ToT macro for this fight, because low tank treat from kiting the boss around and also freeing up the focus window to rageface because you want to sprint and kite it when you see it targets you in focus frame to help reset his buff stacks.

Lord Rhyolith-Combat

Combat cleave works on adds and legs steering, focus on one leg and attack from the pocket side of his leg with BF on will cleave adds while hitting 1 leg only, attack while standing between his legs with BF for a slow turn to the other leg's direction, use BF on and off only for a slow turning steer and if a sharp turn is needed use redirect and dps cd to achieve that. Also a note on using KS on this fight is to stand in a clear area on the pocket side of the leg to focus all KS attacks on the desired leg.

Assassination's aoe could help on the adds but the dps on legs are the top priority.

Alysrazor-Assasination

Combat killing spree is risky to use on ground and getting buff stack is more important when you are in air. Nothing much to cleave on the ground as you will be spending most of your time running between initiate spawns. AR and KS is nice during burn out but typically a hero/lust will be used during that phase you will find it hard to execute perfectly without capping energy with the Alysrazor's haste buff.

Assasination can save vendetta for the burn out and chose to drop backstab from rotation whenever the energy is close to cap. Extra movement speed is also a bonus to travel between the initiates or avoid fire storms.

Baleroc-Assaination

Nothing to cleave for combat, KS isn't as risky but can still be troublesome if you are on shard duty or not on shard duty.

Edit: on Heroic mode a badly timed KS can cause a wipe if a count down link is placed on you while you bounce around like a bunny.

Assasination has higher single target dps and easier rotation to manage.

I have to say this is the easiest fight for rogues

Majordomo-Combat

Combat cleave will net you alot of dps during cat phase, Killing spree isn't very risking although you want to time it right so you can still get back in time to eat the cleave. Killing spree with cleave at the right time if you aren't using it in sync with BG is also a bonus.

Assasination doesn't have much going for them on this fight, and you'll lose dps by switching to the adds during cat phase.

Ragnaros-Combat

Killing spree should be safe to use most of the times and Cleaving the seeds(Edit: Molten Elemental) will give you plenty of dps especially if you sync AR for it.

Assasination can aoe those seeds although I have only killed ragnaros as combat, so I'm not sure what it will be compare to combat cleave, but judging by the number of adds spawned they should be roughly the same. And deadly brew might also help to slow those adds during transition again I'm not too sure.

ps: I tried to deadly throw at the meteor with redirect it might have worked but at that time I also had someone helping me with it so I'm still not sure can someone comfirm?

3:4 Combat vs Assassination. Although, Ragnaros/Baleroc is more of a personal preference, so that makes it 2:3.

One thing to note on Rag. Killing Spree will put you directly in the center of a Sulfuras Smash if timed incorrectly. It will also put you directly in the path of any nearby lateral Lava Waves coming from the Smash. Use caution. Also, Revealing Strike + KS is nice on the Son's of Flame if you have to handle your own.

Ragnaros-Combat

Killing spree should be safe to use most of the times and Cleaving the seeds will give you plenty of dps especially if you sync AR for it.

Assasination can aoe those seeds although I have only killed ragnaros as combat, so I'm not sure what it will be compare to combat cleave, but judging by the number of adds spawned they should be roughly the same. And deadly brew might also help to slow those adds during transition again I'm not too sure.

ps: I tried to deadly throw at the meteor with redirect it might have worked but at that time I also had someone helping me with it so I'm still not sure can someone comfirm?

3:4 Combat vs Assassination. Although, Ragnaros/Baleroc is more of a personal preference, so that makes it 2:3.

Cleaving the adds that pop out in ph2 you mean? I wouldn't recommend a spec directly on that, as that's probably one of the most trivial mechanics in that fight. On 10m Combat might do a tad more damage to the adds, but on 25m Assassination DPS skyrockets using IP on thrown and pooling a 4-5 CP envenom just before AoE'ing. Either way, in my pulls the adds die within about 5 seconds. My guildie ran Rag as Combat on our first kill and averaged 300 DPS below me, with his gear being slightly better than mine.

Personally, I'll be using Combat for Majordomo (a given) and *possibly* rhyolith, I know that on the cleaved leg the damage modifier is doubled - so execute phase could pull ahead. It'll take some simming to see which will be more efficient at the point where you *need* to push DPS, and push it fast. Aka: The push to making transition once superheated starts.

Majordomo Staghelm - on heroic difficulty it appears that Flame Scythe can not be cloaked or cloak-immuned. Tested with approx. 6 rogue corpses and the timing for cloak-immune should've been just right judging from WoL.

Also, Lord Rhyolith's legs do not parry or dodge. This is quite handy at times depending on current boss position, since his front side tends to be less cluttered with stuff. Additionally, depending on your add handling, it is easier to make sure your Blade Flurry is hitting the other leg that way.