Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GravityDK

Blood | DK endgame tanking [4.x]

725 posts in this topic

So the guild I'm in is working on Heroic Madness. We've only tried 2 tanking this so far. Now normally I'm Unholy / OT but for this fight we use me for MT and our Druid for OT/DPS.

Now at first we had issues on Platform 3 b/c our DPS was pushing faster than the 3min CD took on IBF. Thats fixed but now were having the same issue on P4.

Platform 1

1st Impale DK (VP + SoE Trinket + Dream)

2nd Impale Druid

Platform 2

1st Impale DK (VP + SoE Trinket + IBF)

2nd Impale Druid

Platform 3

1st Impale Shadow Preist

2nd Impale DK (VP + SoE Trinket + IBF)

Platform 4

1st Impale Druid

2nd Impale DK (VP +SoE + IBF)

Once I hit P4 our DPS pushes hard enough that my CD is consistently 1sec away from being ready on the 2nd Impale. I'm using my IBF as early as I can and still coming up about 1sec short.

Now my theory is we need to slow DPS down on P3 to buy me the extra 1-2sec I need for P4.

Ive also thought about trying Platform 4 and using (VP+SoE+AotD)

Has anyone had these issues or suggestions?

If you use Dancing Rune Weapon before the Impale cast, ERW and DS once just during the cast and then AotD (also still in the cast) you can emulate IBF just fine. Add VB, BS and Stay of Execution as needed.

I use:

First platform: VB+BS+DREAM

Second platform: VB+BS+IBF

Third platform: VB+BS+DRW+AotD

Fourth platform: VB+BS+IBF

I don't use SoE.

I don't actually use VB on Impales. I try to get a 200k blood shield up before Impale, then I use Bone Shield in the beginning of the cast, Rune Tap in the middle of the cast (you will get WotN proc if it gets tight afterwards) and the following scheme:

1: Dream

2: IBF

3: Army of The Dead (+ Pain Suppression or Sacrifice)

4: IBF

I save VB for Blistering Tentacles to ease it for the healers, I especially save it for the crash on 4th platform.

A tip to save DPS though, that we found really useful after progression, is to let a Feral Druid take the second Impale instead of a Shadow Priest. It saves lots of DPS time and also makes it easier to taunt and tank up the Hemorrhages.

You could use SSG on weapon. I gemming with stamina gems and suppose it is a bit better on end game and some encounters. Blood Shield don't absorb magic damage(Yor'sahj, Ultraxion,) and higher hp is good on madness. Blue 75 stam, Yellow 37 stam + 25 mastery, Red 37 stam + 25 parry.

When you use vampiric blood on impale cooldown go down on second Blistering Tentacles. Bone Shield you can use 10 second before impale because you can't lost it faster. One charge per 2 seconds, so your blood shield will get higher.

Bone Shield you can use 10 second before impale because you can't lost it faster. One charge per 2 seconds, so your blood shield will get higher.

While I do not disagree with you, you have to consider that by using BS early you are also reducing the potential damage you can take, and hence the potential blood shield you can produce. What you are saying is only true if you are always generating minimum blood shields during these 10 seconds (whether this is because of using other CDs early or avoidance). Once you start relying on blood shields which are subject to the damage you take before the impale, then having a 20% reduction in this damage can have a knock on effect in reducing the blood shield you can generate while BS is up.

Personally, I have tried both using BS early and using it just before the Impale is cast and using my remaining runes to generate as large a blood shield as I could and haven't seen any difference as far as actually surviving is concerned.

Having a large blood shield up before impale starts casting is all about the RNG before hand (i.e. avoidance), however the most consistent methodology for producing a blood shield you can rely on is to DS as much as possible during the cast of impale. If you have consumed all your runes before then, you are at risk of having no blood shield at all, or a very small one when you need it.

To summarise: Big blood shields are cool, but consistent ones are better.

1.0 Abstract

I just recently returned to reading the EJ forums after a month or so of being away, and I noticed that the most recent conversation related well to a thread I posted on my guild's forums about tanking Heroic Madness of Deathwing. I figured I would go ahead and post it here too.

I will be assuming that you are solo tanking the encounter, with a shadow priest to soak the second Impale on each platform, and that Dream will only be available on the first platform.

2.0 Mechanics

On each of the four initial platforms, you will be tanking the Mutated Corruption when it spawns. Your job will be to hold aggro, soak Impales, and direct the melee. In addition to tanking the Mutated Corruption, you will also be responsible for tanking the Regenerative Bloods when they spawn. After all of these mobs are dead, you will help burn down the Arm Tentacle or Wing Tentacle with the rest of the raid before moving to the next platform.

On the final platform, your job will be to tank the Elementium Terrors in the Time Zone until the Congealing Bloods spawn. Once the Congealing Blood's spawn point is revealed, you will drag the Elementium Terrors to that location and do everything you can to keep them on top of the Congealing Bloods as they move toward the boss. You and all of the DPS must do everything you can to take advantage of the Spellweaver Buff to kill everything as quickly as possible.

3.0 Cooldowns and Skill Choice

In this section I will explain which cooldowns I use on each platform and when, as well as some tips for using Death Strike effectively for mitigating the Mutated Corruption's Impale.

3.1 First Four Platforms

At the start of each platform (or before the encounter even begins) I like to cast Bone Shield on myself. This will last until the first Impale and will help to mitigate it. Using Bone Shield early will allow you to save an unholy rune for an extra Death Strike later.

Before the Mutated Corruption spawns on a platform, you will have 5 - 10 seconds to DPS the Arm Tentacle or Wing Tentacle. Take advantage of this time to generate as much runic power as possible. Heart Strike, Death Strike, and Horn of Winter are good choices here. Do not use Rune Stike or any other ability that will consume your runic power, or Outbreak. Watch your timers carefully, and be ready to run to the back of the platform in time for the Mutated Corruption spawn. You need to be the first person in melee range of it, or you risk losing a fellow raider.

Once the Mutated Corruption spawns, unload on it with as many Rune Stikes as possible. This will generate a very large amount of initial threat. Your second choice of skill usage here is Heart Strike. Once you have a decent threat lead, you can afford the (threatless) GCD to use Outbreak. Watch your health carefully, and if you feel you can get away without using Death Strike then do so. We want to save those runes for a little later, and taking some extra damage now will help to increase the value of those later Death Strikes.

About 10 seconds after the Mutated Corruption spawns, it will begin to cast the first Impale. Impale has a five second cast time, and during these five seconds is when you will build up all of the mitigation (minus Bone Shield) that you need to survive. Use all of the frost and unholy runes that you have been saving to crank out as many Death Strikes as you can. The Mutated Corruption will not melee you while it is casting Impale, so the entire Blood Shield you generate here will go towards mitigating the Impale. Just before the Impale finishes casting, use whatever cooldown you have set aside for this platform. I will go over these in the following subsections. If executed properly, you will not only survive the Impale, but you will survive with a large amount of health to spare. In fact, when all the stars align, it is even possible to have a little Blood Shield left over.

After you survive the Impale, you will have around 25 seconds until the next Impale. During this time, I like to use Dancing Rune Weapon. Avoidance based mitigation will not help with the Impale, so it's a wise choice to use them between the Impales. The exact timing of when to use Dancing Rune Weapon will depend on your Blood Shield and other cooldowns. For example, if you used Icebound Fortitude two seconds before the Impale hit you, then you will have 10 more seconds of 50% damage reduction afterwards. Overlapping Icebound Fortitude and Dancing Rune Weapon is overkill. Wait for your cooldowns to drop before using the next one at this point.

For the second Impale, you will be running out of melee range of the Mutated Corruption. If you and everyone else is outside of melee range, then the Mutated Corruption will cast Impale on the closest target, regardless of threat. This allows the raid to use a shadow priest to soak the second Impale with Dispersion. After the Impale hits the shadow priest, run back in and resume tanking the Mutated Corruption.

All of the responsibility for properly timing this movement falls on the tank. It is your job to call out when you are leaving melee range. You must give all of the melee ample time to get out of range before you. If you leave melee range before another player, then that player will get hit and most likely die. Once you and everyone else are out of melee range, make sure you are farther way from the Mutated Corruption than the shadow priest. Watch the Mutated Corruption's cast bar closely!!! Once it starts casting Impale you can run back in and resume tanking. If it casts Impale Aspect, then you need to continue waiting outside of melee range, and behind the shadow priest. Be patient and be careful with this mechanic. If you screw it up then it's a wipe, and a waste of everyone's time. Be vocal with the melee over vent / mumble.

Sometime between the second Impale going off, and the Mutated Corruption dying (this will vary based on the raid's DPS) the Regenerative Bloods will spawn. You can see where they will spawn in advance by looking for little red circles on the ground. Drop your Death and Decay on top of their spawn location to help ensure that they aggro you. Having a hunter use Misdirection on them is also very helpful.

Once you have aggro on the Regenerative Bloods, make sure they are positioned as close as possible to the Mutated Corruption so the raid can take advantage of the Spellweaver Buff. Make sure to use Pestilence to spread your Frost Fever debuff to all of the Regenerative Bloods. This will go a long way to mitigating their damage by slowing the rate that they stack Degenerative Bite on you. I like to use Vampiric Blood here to stay alive. Keep an eye on your health, and when it feels shaky, then use Anti-Magic Shell.

Once the Mutated Corruption and Regenerative Bloods are dead, help kill the last Corrupting Parasite (just DPS it) and then move on to the Arm Tentacle or Wing Tentacle. I like to use Vampiric Blood again when it is off cooldown to help the healers with the AoE damage. Just watch your raid frames and use your best judgement as to when to use it.

3.1.1 First Platform Cooldowns

Use Dream a second or two before the Impale hits you. The reason I like to wait until the last second to use it is because you can actually soak an additional melee strike with it after the Impale. Every little bit of mitigation helps here.

3.1.2 Second Platform Cooldowns

Use Icebound Fortitude. As with Dream, you will be using it at the last second.

3.1.3 Third Platform Cooldowns

This platform is a little tricky. Unlike the other three platforms, we will be using Dancing Rune Weapon before the Impale, so that we can turn that avoidance into mitigation by channeling Army of the Dead while the Impale goes off. To pull this off, we will need 60 runic power and 1 of each rune, which will impact our initial threat. It also takes several GCDs to get all of the skills off in the right order, which can eat into the number of Death Strikes we can get off.

To make things go smoothly, I like to cast Dancing Rune Weapon several seconds before the Impale begins casting. It will last long enough to serve it's purpose, and using it early gives us one more GCD to use at crunch time. Once the Impale begins casting, Death Strike as much as you can, and then use Empower Rune Weapon to get all of your runes back. You want to be channeling Army of the Dead when the Impale goes off, so watch the timer closely. Channeling Army of the Dead only lasts 4 seconds. Also, remember that you do not have to finish channeling. Once the Impale hits you, you can stop channeling and Death Strike or use Death Pact (which works on the army ghouls).

External cooldowns, such as Pain Suppression are good here as well. Just be sure to call for them in a timely manner. Your healer needs enough time to cast the spell among their other responsibilities.

3.1.4 Fourth Platform Cooldowns

Use Icebound Fortitude again! The only special thing about the fourth platform is that the Elementium Bolt will land. This means that you will be stacking with the raid when you run out for the Impale. I like to use Vampiric Blood here to help out with the huge AoE burst. This means you will not have it later when the Regenerative Bloods spawn, so you will have to be on your toes with Anti-Magic Shell. It is wise to store up runic power here for Lichborne as well.

3.2 The Final Platform

This platform is not as structured as the rest of the fight. In terms of mitigation, you will have to watch your stacks of Tetanus to decide when exactly to use your cooldowns. Movement and positioning is paramount here. If you don't stack the Elementium Terrors on top of the Congealing Bloods, then they will take too long to die, which means you will die. You should be standing in the Time Zone as long as possible, but remember your priorities.

As for actual cooldowns, Dream should be used whenever it is available. If you are unlucky and you get targeted with Shrapnel, then use Dream. Don't try to figure out if you can take it straight up. You've worked 12 long minutes to get here. Don't fuck around.

You can use all of your 1-minute or less cooldowns on both sets of Elementium Terrors. Get Bone Shield up ahead of time. Use Vampiric Blood once you've taken a fair amount of damage. Try to save Anti-Magic Shell until you have moved out of the Time Zone. Anti-Magic Shell can be used to completely drop all of your stacks of Tetanus if timed properly. Icebound Fortitude may not be available until the second set of Elementium Terrors, but external cooldowns such as Pain Suppression should be good to go. Call for them when you want them. Keep Frost Fever up on both Elementium Terrors at all times (or as close as possible). Death Strike your ass off. Save runic power for Lichborne if it is off cooldown.

4.0 Gearing

This section will go over some small gearing adjustments that you can make specifically for this fight. I am a firm believer in stacking mastery at all times, but that aside, there are still some glyph and trinket choices we can make.

4.1 Glyphs

For prime glyphs, the only survivability glyph is Glyph of Death Coil which will buff the heals you receive when using Lichborne. Since you will be making use of Lichborne, then you should be using this glyph. The other two glyphs are purely for threat, and I believe discussing them is outside the scope of this guide.

For major glyphs, i like Glyph of Bone Shield, Glyph of Anti-Magic Shell, and Glyph of Vampiric Blood. The speed increase from Glyph of Bone Shield is great for running to and from the Mutated Corruptions, as well as the Congealing Bloods. Glyph of Anti-Magic Shell will increase it's value for tanking the Regenerative Bloods as well as the Elementium Terrors, both of which do magic damage for long periods of time. Glyph of Vampiric Blood needs no explanation.

4.2 Trinkets

In a perfect world, I would be using the Soulshifter Vortex and the Indomitable Pride. However, since I don't have the Indomitable Pride, I tend to use the Spidersilk Spindle instead. If you feel like you want or need more magic damage mitigation for the Regenerative Bloods or the Elementium Terrors, then I would recommend the Mirror of Broken Images.

5.0 Miscellaneous Pointers

This section has been set aside to go over parts of the fight that don't fit in well with the overall scheme.

5.1 Fourth Platform Movement and Timing

Moving out of melee range for the second Impale on the fourth platform has a more restrictive timing requirement than that of the other platforms. If you run out of melee range too early, the Mutated Corruption will cast Impale Aspect, which will delay the casting of Impale. Normally, this is not a problem. However, on this platform, the Elementium Bolt needs to land within 6 seconds of the Impale going off if your shadow priest is going to survive them both with one Dispersion. You can call for melee to run out at the normal time, however you may need to lag behind a little to ensure that you leave melee range at the last possible second. To measure this, I like to stand all the way up by the Mutated Corruption, and run out when the Impale hits three seconds. This works for me, but your reaction times may be different. You may find that you need to move earlier or later than I do. You will have to figure this timing out for yourself as you go. I recommend that whatever you do, stand in the same spot on this platform on every pull to keep your timings as consistent as possible.

5.2 Extra Vampiric Blood

At the beginning of the fight, you will have 90 seconds until the first set of Regenerative Bloods spawn. This means that if you use Vampiric Blood within the first 30 seconds of the fight, it will come off of cooldown in time to be used at it's designated place. It's a small gain in a small damage portion of the fight, but it's free.

6.0 Conclusion

I know I have left a lot of details out concerning other aspects of the fight. I have tried to keep this as focused on tanking as possible to prevent information overload. It's a lot to take in once you get into the nitty gritty of every single skill you use. I hope someone finds this helpful!

7.0 Change Log

v1.0 - Initial Post

If you're dual tanking with a warrior, he can use Intervene with the safeguard Talent on you each time, giving an extra 30% of dmg reduction.

I usually use the following cd (for 25 men, for 10 men it would work easy without sacrifice on you):

1st: Bone Shield + Sacrifice + dream + safeguard (+ whatever blood shied I can get, but even at 0 I do not die)

My fellow warrior use Dream + sacrifice + Pain sup

2nd: Bone Shield + Sacrifice + IBF + safeguard (+ whatever blood shied I can get, but even at 0 I do not die)

My fellow warrior use Shield wall + Last stand + sacrifice

3rd: Bone Shield + Sacrifice + safeguard + VB + Bloodshield (I use empower runeweapon to get a guaranted High blood shield)

My fellow warrior use Shield wall + Pain Sup + sacrifice

4th: Bone Shield + Sacrifice + IBF + safeguard (+ whatever blood shied I can get, but even at 0 I do not die)

My fellow warrior use Shield wall + Last stand + sacrifice

Someone use glyph of vampiric blood for madness or lichborn spec? I never use them in DS.

Of course. I use glyphed VB on every fight (didn't on progression though), save for Madness HC. Lichborne is a wonderful talent, I have no idea why you wouldn't pick it up. No, you might not HAVE to use it every fight, and you might not NEED to use it every fight. But for when it gets tight and you really need that heal, Lichborne is awesome. It has saved my life many times, and I can't see why you wouldn't pick it up.

Note: I am not stating that this is a talent that improves our overall tanking in any way, it's just an extra way to keep ourselves living. See it as an extra WoTN proc, only you have to use it manually.

I really think lichborn is useless in DS. I only use it on 1 fight in FL. Baleroc and only before nerfs when he do more decimation strikes. Now he only do it 2 times. First soak with AMS second is easy to heal up with triple Death Strike and RT. I choose some damage talents:

-Higher dots uptime and damage done from unholy tree

-SoB and butchery for more RP

-Damage from attacks(don't remember this talent name but it is in blood tree)

You can check my talent build on armory.

Glyph of Vampiric Blood increase healing taken but in some fights like Spine, Ultraxion, Morchok, Madness, Haggara and Warmaster higher health helps better. I see only 2 fight to glyph that abillity is Warlord(dark phase) and Yor'sahj(purple ooze).

I only raid 10 man and don't know about 25 man raids. It's only my experience.

Ps.

Sorry for my bad english

I really think lichborn is useless in DS

It wasn't. I used it especially on Zonozz progression during black phases ... LB first black, pet sac 2nd, LB third. It was useful on almost every fight until our healers geared and were able to handle all the bursts.

I only use it on 1 fight in FL. Baleroc

Baleroc was the least useful fight for LB ... you had to use it very early on or the healing was just a drop in the bucket. LB heals based on your AP and not your total health ... and with your total health increasing it becomes less useful as the fight goes on, until its almost a waste of GCDs.

I ended up dropping LB in T13 only once healers were outhealing the encounters and even then there's been times it would have come in handy when a pull goes sideways.

As the content gets easier and your healers get more geared / experienced, I would agree that Lichborne goes by the wayside. I find myself not needing to use it much either. However, as a tank, I value survivabilty above DPS, and there are no other talents that will give you more survivabilty. Disease damage is nice and all, but it doesn't make you a better tank. Blood caked strikes are nice too, but again, you don't need that extra threat, and a 2-3% damage increase on a the small amount of damage you already do isn't much. It's much better to have an extra defensive CD (especially one that is essentially a full heal) rather than add pitiful amounts of DPS to your raid. If your healers are so geared that they don't need your help keeping you up, then your DPSers should be geared enough to not need your help killing things.

... rather than add pitiful amounts of DPS to your raid

BCB can close in on 5% of your DPS ... that's not exactly pitiful. Crimson scourge is fairly boss for filling open GCDs and generating runic as well (and it's not bad for the 1 or 2 moments of AoE in T13 haha). Going for more DPS or sticking with maximum survivability is a personal choice (or possibly the healers) once progression is over. Once tank death is out of the question, why not do whatever is most fun for you? :)

I value survivabilty above DPS

If my survival was actually in question, I'd spec back into LB. If my healers ever went OOM I'd still have LB. Hell, I took 2 points out of WotN to push into Crimson Scourge ... because why not? If you never die and your healers never go OOM and aren't complaining about their fingers getting tired ... bring it on, I say!

To each their own of course. I fully respect your "staying as tanky as possible" mentality, and many other DKs agree with you.

How much heal one death coil when lichborn is up? I really don't know. I suppose for bigger heal I'll need sit on full runic power. How much it take gcd for get enough heal? Lichborn is on gcd? You can make only 3 death coils on 2 min cd. I always spam RS for regen runes and use DS. First regen rp and then pop up lb and use 3 death coils. Do you have enough time when boss hit hard to heal up?

I've had deathcoils heal for as much as 40k. You can get off more than enough death coils to heal yourself to full. I usually pool RP before I pop Lichborne (which does not cost a GCD) so I can use two or three death coils right away. Lichborne lasts 12 seconds, so there is plenty of time to generate more runic power with a death coil or heart strike. You can get off five or six death coils before Lichborne ends. You can also line Lichborne up with Vampiric Blood for even more healing. I will say that I rarely use Lichborne as an "oh shit button." It's a predetermined use and you do have to prepare for it by holding off on rune strikes.

As for DPS vs Survivablity, you're right Coburns. As the content gets easier due to gear, experience, and nerfs, total survivability is not necessary by any means. However, my guild tends to cut healers as the content gets easier. We two heal most fights now (even heroic spine) so maxing survivability still makes a difference to us. That extra DPSer we gain by dropping a healer will do far more damage than I ever will by messing with a few talent points. Plus, tanking is fun! DPS on your DPSers, and Tank on your Tanks :)

However, my guild tends to cut healers as the content gets easier. We two heal most fights now (even heroic spine) so maxing survivability still makes a difference to us. That extra DPSer we gain by dropping a healer will do far more damage than I ever will by messing with a few talent points. Plus, tanking is fun! DPS on your DPSers, and Tank on your Tanks :)

To be honest ... and I am probably not the only one thinking this ... T13 was a joke for blood DK after the struggle that was T12. My paladin laughed in my DKs face all T12 and then the tables turned. I was hit/exp capped the entire tier and pushing sweet numbers in tank DPS since day 1. That DPS mattered and was fun. Saying your tank DPS contribution from talent switches doesn't matter is like picking any one of your DPS players and saying certain talents of theirs do not matter ... but they do matter, because great RDPS is made up of many small improvements to personal DPS.

The amount of times tank death wiped the raid I can count on the fingers of 1 hand. We 1 heal ultrax, 2 heal spine and 2 heal/1 tank madness with random buyers in the raid and my spec has never been a liability. I see other DKs using their full unholy sets in blood spec which is just unreal. DK ended up with too much passive armor and a handful of encounters playing to our strengths. Basically the opposite of our situation in T12.

I did what I had to do to stop from falling asleep :D Sometimes when we are selling HM rag I wish I still had LB to pop as I head into transition phase with a fat stack of burning blood. That's honestly where I miss LB the most. It's an amazing survivability talent and one that I used quite a bit, but I only *needed* it for 1 fight this tier: Zonozz. And even then only for a few lockouts.

How much heal one death coil when lichborn is up? I really don't know. I suppose for bigger heal I'll need sit on full runic power. How much it take gcd for get enough heal? Lichborn is on gcd? You can make only 3 death coils on 2 min cd. I always spam RS for regen runes and use DS. First regen rp and then pop up lb and use 3 death coils. Do you have enough time when boss hit hard to heal up?

Bento is right about the healing ... 35k or a bit more is what I remember my coils hitting at the very start of T13. He is also right about pooling RP ... you decide ahead of time which section of the fight is rough and may require LB and you pool to be ready. You can keep using RS as you cap runic while you wait for the moment to pop LB. Each coil consumes a GCD, but if you are waiting for runes to refresh ... healing yourself for 100k while recovering runes for a DS is pretty great.

LB lasts for 10s so you can get more than 3 heals from it. Of course, as you mention, your death coils could have gone to RS to proc RE for more DS, so its probable you are losing a DS dumping the runic into coils ... but the healing should easily outweigh that negative. Plus, the healing is guaranteed and the RE procs are not.

I'll try to test LB spec on my next raid. I didn't know it heal for 40k :O

Hey guys, I know the majority of us here have been done with the tier for quite some time but I've run into a small issue. Considering we've been finished with the tier, all the DPS like to parse, including fury warriors.

Fury Warriors who put on a mastery set and enrage before combat to get the effects of mastery on crack for that first enrage, and then can swap to normal gear. Great for parsing! Only issue is, sometimes, depending on RNG with both his and my abilities, he can grab threat off of me even as far as 30 seconds into the fight considering he's doing 80k DPS at this point.

Anyways, just curious about how you guys pull a typical boss. Please show me your setup without including ERW, just because ERW basically means guaranteed aggro regardless.

Anyways, here's what I've been doing:

DS

DS

Blood Tap

DS

HS

RS

RS

From that point onward I just run the basic Death Runes only used for DS; DS>HS>RS priority system. Thanks in advance guys! I'm curious about using DnD but unsure of whether or not it's worth it on the pull. Thanks again!

EDIT: I've swapped to Hit and Expertise reforging as well as swapped to a damage oriented spec, just because I want it as easy as possible for these guys to parse without any interruptions.

Do you mean DRW when you say ERW? (Dancing Rune Weapon / Empower Rune Weapon)

If not, throw in a DRW in your pull rotaton. It helps a lot if you have aggro problems. Also, make sure rogues and hunters are re-ToTing and re-MDing you when it gets tight.

Is anyone here using DRW in conjunction with LB for the extra healing it gives?

I'm getting around ~50k per pair of DC's with glyphed VB up. In fact, I just started working on a training dummy to check my facts and - ofc without any vengeance - I'm getting 20-21k per DC on avg and have even had a couple of crits from DRW for 41k, making that an almost instant 62k heal (DRW DC has to travel).

I'm pooling RP (130) and using DRW, then DS, then LB+DC, DC, DS, ERW, DS, DC.

Would like to hear some thoughts on this usage if anyone would indulge me?

Thanks

Do you mean DRW when you say ERW? (Dancing Rune Weapon / Empower Rune Weapon)

If not, throw in a DRW in your pull rotaton. It helps a lot if you have aggro problems. Also, make sure rogues and hunters are re-ToTing and re-MDing you when it gets tight.

Nope, I mean ERW. Ideally on every pull I would use DRW followed by ERW, that way I can use abilities with DRW for awesome threat. If I want to use DRW in the setup above it would be as follows:

DS

DS

Blood Tap

DS

DRW

HS

HoW

I'm trying to get a pull setup in which I don't have to use ERW, though, just in case of quick pulls (less that 5 minutes apart).

If you are starting from ranged, start with Outbreak and taunt then I'd go with:

DS, HS, RS, DS, BT+DS, RS (Death Grip when Dark Command runs out for safety)

Don't forget that RS should be give you the most guaranteed threat out of all abilities because of it's 1.75*damage multiplier plus the fact once you are hit capped it will always land. DS is nice and all, but it can also do 0 damage when it's avoided and the Runes are gone then. If you see the first one or even the first two DSes being avoided, you need to make sure you do Death Grip in time or chances are you will lose aggro against people going all out on the pull.

The other alternative is to wear DPS gear for the bosses you can, it helps your guys rank even higher since it will contribute to a faster kill (it won't help against parried DSes though because hard capping expertise is still not ideal D: ).

If you are starting from ranged, start with Outbreak and taunt then I'd go with:

DS, HS, RS, DS, BT+DS, RS (Death Grip when Dark Command runs out for safety)

Don't forget that RS should be give you the most guaranteed threat out of all abilities because of it's 1.75*damage multiplier plus the fact once you are hit capped it will always land. DS is nice and all, but it can also do 0 damage when it's avoided and the Runes are gone then. If you see the first one or even the first two DSes being avoided, you need to make sure you do Death Grip in time or chances are you will lose aggro against people going all out on the pull.

The other alternative is to wear DPS gear for the bosses you can, it helps your guys rank even higher since it will contribute to a faster kill (it won't help against parried DSes though because hard capping expertise is still not ideal D: ).

Thanks, Tyvi! I actually spent some time yesterday on a dummy setting up a rotation which allows RS to be used as often as possible on the pull. Some people have come to me and suggested DnD, but I've run some numbers and it is simply not anywhere near what I need out of a rune (at least before being vengeance capped).

Thanks again guys! Consider my query closed.