Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GravityDK

Blood | DK endgame tanking [4.x]

725 posts in this topic

I don't claim anything. Plug in the numbers and see what you get. All of the calculations were tested and simulated to clarify the data.

What you do not see is some of the things I have also played with with regards to trying to maximize your efficiency tanking. This means the data displayed only displays with regards to moving one thing around. In a real world situation everything is interrelated still. Just play around and plug in numbers in any of the red blocks.

The basic information proves the following

Armor>Hit>Expertise>Mastery>Dodge&Parry>Stamina

Now, as with all things there is a bell curve to the efficiency table. That is why as mobs start hitting harder the following becomes true.

Armor>Hit>Expertise>Dodge&Parry>Mastery>Stamina

The reason Hit and Expertise are high up there are for threat and to ensure when you DS you connect within for attempts of hitting. If these go down the guarantee of keeping your blood shield up will go down. Once again everything is interrelated and this will only summarize for 100 hits at different damages. If you want to change those numbers feel free to, but I tried to keep the static to test the information.

The idea is to consider how much damage you will be taking then trying to maximize your damage mitigation derived from there. For example Beth'Tilac Hits for 60K damage, and for a fight like her it is more important to dodge and parry attacks. This is why trying to balance everything out is so important.

Sheet 1 is the page to view the damage mitigation at and Sheet 2 is to put your Character Stats at. Now, I dont recall if I made it so the information transfers over. But on Sheet 1 it shows that for anything under 55000 damage with my old set up would of been best for me to dodge build. With my new set up I need to find the time to plug in the numbers to validate which is best.

filehosting.org - download page for wow.xlsx

I am open to any feed back and constructive comments to make the spreadsheet better. But this means if you find a problem with something explain why you have a problem with it, and I will explain as to why I did it that way, and potentially I could of not thought about it, so I might have enhanced the spreadsheet to be even better.

As for threat, you really shouldn't be struggling even if you're very low on hit and expertise.

Your wrong here. Maybe if everyone is pulling 13k DPS this wont be a problem, but my dps for member of my raid team pull about 29k DPS. We tried to have a tank with less hit in there and the only way they could keep agroo without my guys having to stop DPS was every cooldown they used Tricks of the trade and Misdirect on the other tank.

There might be some exceptions such as Shannox where DPS don't attack either target at first. But fights like Baleroc where all dps is going balls to the wall at the start this is important. There might also be an exception where dps holds out on DPS for 3-5 secs. This is fine to get a lead, but my guys like to try to pull off the tank. And this is why if you loose threat your not doing your job.

I created a spreadsheet that actually shows the amount mitigated with regards to rune recharge...

I'm not quite understanding what you're saying with this...

• We all know mastery is a great stat that controls the damage we take.
  • We all know avoidance is a nice stat. It reduces overall damage taken, increases blood shield up time, and can give healers breathing room while we tank.
  • We all know that hit and expertise increase the chance for your death strike to land in a pinch, as well as increasing threat and damage.
  • We all know armor is an amazing stat, that increases EH, and reduces total damage taken.

I "think" your trying to say that avoidance reduces more damage than mastery, and armor reduces more damage than avoidance? If so, than yes we all know this to be true as well.

The problem with stacking avoidance, is that its not reliable. Unless you can fill the combat table, you can still get hit 3 times in a row, and die like the tank with 10%~ less avoidance,

The problem with armor, is that you can't actually obtain sizeable amounts of it. There aren't any armor gems, the armor enchants are small, and the armor trinkets are terribly itemized. If there were ways to obtain large amounts of armor, we'd all be doing it.

The problem with mastery (which has been discussed in the previous pages), is that in the Firelands heroic / 25 encounters, you can die before you have time to death strike. Until you can be sure you'll live through 3 melee attacks, the value of mastery is questionable. Hit and expertise become devalued under this same reason. If you die before you have runes to spend no death strike.

This only leaves stamina, as a way of attempting to stay alive, versus bosses that are capable of 3-shotting you.

Along with using fallen crusader, [iTEM]License to Slay[/iTEM], and [iTEM]Heart of Rage[/iTEM]; I always try to make sure to run the hatchingling by the Blazing Talon Initiate whenever I'm not hunting down worms.

Alysrazor 25H log

Usually the melee can throw up faerie fire and brittle bones, as well as get some splash damage on the hatchling. I often end up with the hatchling dead in time to spare.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'm going to give Crushing Weight a go, as the massive haste proc will not only result in higher DPS but also more shields, thus two birds with one stone.

I'm not quite understanding what you're saying with this...

• We all know mastery is a great stat that controls the damage we take.
  • We all know avoidance is a nice stat. It reduces overall damage taken, increases blood shield up time, and can give healers breathing room while we tank.
  • We all know that hit and expertise increase the chance for your death strike to land in a pinch, as well as increasing threat and damage.
  • We all know armor is an amazing stat, that increases EH, and reduces total damage taken.

I "think" your trying to say that avoidance reduces more damage than mastery, and armor reduces more damage than avoidance? If so, than yes we all know this to be true as well.

The problem with stacking avoidance, is that its not reliable. Unless you can fill the combat table, you can still get hit 3 times in a row, and die like the tank with 10%~ less avoidance,

The problem with armor, is that you can't actually obtain sizeable amounts of it. There aren't any armor gems, the armor enchants are small, and the armor trinkets are terribly itemized. If there were ways to obtain large amounts of armor, we'd all be doing it.

The problem with mastery (which has been discussed in the previous pages), is that in the Firelands heroic / 25 encounters, you can die before you have time to death strike. Until you can be sure you'll live through 3 melee attacks, the value of mastery is questionable. Hit and expertise become devalued under this same reason. If you die before you have runes to spend no death strike.

This only leaves stamina, as a way of attempting to stay alive, versus bosses that are capable of 3-shotting you.

I am not disputing this at all. That's not the point to my post. I don't 25 man raid either so I cant dispute how hard these bosses hit. What I am trying to say is the stat that is the best changes, as damage goes up. And Balance is most important. In your circumstance Stamina might be the most important state to help keep you alive because of the extent of the damage done. That's what I am trying to prove here. By saying you as the Blood DK need to think about the environment for by which you will be tanking so that you can find the situation to mitigate the most damage and allow the healers to keep you alive.

Sherardp we appreciate your input, it's just that at this stage of the game (in 25 mans) we know the basics. We're just trying to figure out how to survive the huge burst that bosses are capable of. Druids have a solution and it's a whole lot of mitigation (talents and armor), pallies block cap easily this tier, warriors are sort of in between druids and pallies because of critical blocks and high armor... DKs we don't know. I think so far what people are saying is stack stamina to survive the hit then heal it up with death strike.

So that's something to test out. But it's only a temporary solution and I'm sure blizzard will buff our mitigation before a new instance is out.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'm going to give Crushing Weight a go, as the massive haste proc will not only result in higher DPS but also more shields, thus two birds with one stone.

I've thought about that on my alt too but won't the vengeance from two staminatrinkets be better damage increase anyway?

Your wrong here. Maybe if everyone is pulling 13k DPS this wont be a problem, but my dps for member of my raid team pull about 29k DPS.

And this is why if you loose threat your not doing your job.

First of all, I never said that if you lose threat you are still doing your job. I said that you shouldn't have a problem with threat to begin with, thus you should have that part of your job covered. If you're struggling with threat for whatever reason, then sure, grab some hit and/or expertise...but again, you really shouldn't need it. If you're losing threat on single targets, you probably have room for improvement with the attack choices you're making, or how you're timing them.

As I mentioned in my previous post, there's a strong case for grabbing hit/expertise (Liar comes to mind here), but it is not for threat reasons; it's for making sure your DS connects when you want it to (survival reasons, not threat reasons). The bonus threat is simply an added bonus.

Also, implying that the DPS I run with do 13k dps as opposed to the 29k that yours do doesn't help prove your point, either. Let's try to stay constructive here.

...I think so far what people are saying is stack stamina to survive the hit then heal it up with death strike.

So that's something to test out. But it's only a temporary solution and I'm sure blizzard will buff our mitigation before a new instance is out.

I had similar thoughts a few days ago and decided to regem to stamina and switch to stamina trinkets. Although my evidence is purely anecdotal at this point, it seemed to work pretty well. After this week's raids, I'll post my findings with some numbers to hopefully try and support this whole stamina-stacking idea. I hope others will do the same as the information becomes available.

I've thought about that on my alt too but won't the vengeance from two staminatrinkets be better damage increase anyway?

Unlike the tooltip would lead you to believe, the vengeance cap is 10% of base health + 10% of stamina.

[iTEM]65118[/iTEM]

363 strength * 1.05 (kings) * 1.15 (fallen crusader) * 2 (str ap value) = 877 ap

[iTEM]65109[/iTEM]

544 stam * 1.08 (blood press) * 1.09 (veteran) * 1.02 (stoneskin) * 1.05 (kings) * 0.1 (veng ap value) = 69 ap

If it was 10% of health, tanks would be doing some pretty insane damage on baleroc

Str should be faster. How much faster is debateable, not least because Vengeance has a ramp time. Holidays mean we've barely done 10-12 tries so I can't testify, but I definitely felt the add was going down faster once I swapped to a Str trinket, and I absolutely felt the effect of the haste proc (made external healing superfluous). I chain CDs pretty hard on hatchlings so I'm not totally convinced Vengeance will in fact generate that much AP.

Sherardp we appreciate your input, it's just that at this stage of the game (in 25 mans) we know the basics. We're just trying to figure out how to survive the huge burst that bosses are capable of. Druids have a solution and it's a whole lot of mitigation (talents and armor), pallies block cap easily this tier, warriors are sort of in between druids and pallies because of critical blocks and high armor... DKs we don't know. I think so far what people are saying is stack stamina to survive the hit then heal it up with death strike.

The post I posted actually had nothing to do with 25 Mans. Some people are just misreading it. Considering this is one of the major sites people go to for information for better dps and better tanking, I figured some advice would be more than welcome. Honestly 10 mans are harder that 25 mans, the reason for it is in a 10 man everyone matters where as in a 25 man if a few people die here and there you can still finish the boss. There is the same problem with survivability in 10 man heroics with DK. And its because Blizzard screwed up when they designed the class to spike alot. Even blizzard has mentioned this so hopefully come 4.2.2 they will correct or at least make things marginally better.

First of all, I never said that if you lose threat you are still doing your job. I said that you shouldn't have a problem with threat to begin with, thus you should have that part of your job covered. If you're struggling with threat for whatever reason, then sure, grab some hit and/or expertise...but again, you really shouldn't need it. If you're losing threat on single targets, you probably have room for improvement with the attack choices you're making, or how you're timing them.

As I mentioned in my previous post, there's a strong case for grabbing hit/expertise (Liar comes to mind here), but it is not for threat reasons; it's for making sure your DS connects when you want it to (survival reasons, not threat reasons). The bonus threat is simply an added bonus.

Also, implying that the DPS I run with do 13k dps as opposed to the 29k that yours do doesn't help prove your point, either. Let's try to stay constructive here.

With 13k DPS you wont have a problem and shouldn't, but as dps goes up so does the other peoples threat. the only way to compensate is to increase hit and expertise which to me is more important as a tank then the damage mitigation. Because as a tank its your job to hold threat at all times. Damage Mit is important but secondary. I dont disagree it doesnt need to be maxed out, but you need to have more than 4-5 % hit with about 15-20 expertise.

With 13k DPS you wont have a problem and shouldn't, but as dps goes up so does the other peoples threat. the only way to compensate is to increase hit and expertise which to me is more important as a tank then the damage mitigation. Because as a tank its your job to hold threat at all times. Damage Mit is important but secondary. I dont disagree it doesnt need to be maxed out, but you need to have more than 4-5 % hit with about 15-20 expertise.

Again, you seem to be missing the point. Obviously 13k DPS is not going to present a threat issue (I'm still not sure why you're assuming I'm running with DPS that do 13k because I disagree with you). However, neither should much higher DPS. Threat was a non issue before, and remains to be a non issue...not to mention they massively buffed how hard our DS hits recently. I don't think there is a single [raiding] tank out there that believes that holding threat isn't part of a tank's job...however, I don't think that many DK tanks (or any tanks for that matter) are experiencing any major threat issues.

To put it in clearer terms: If you are having threat issues, you are doing something wrong. You need to fix that, not stack expertise and hit.

You have a couple of misconceptions.

Honestly 10 mans are harder that 25 mans, the reason for it is in a 10 man everyone matters where as in a 25 man if a few people die here and there you can still finish the boss. There is the same problem with survivability in 10 man heroics with DK.

I'll grant you that every man in a 10 man heroic raid counts for more than in a 25 man raid, not hard to do the math 1/10 is higher than 1/25.

But until 10HC starts to melee DKs for 100k damage, DKs are not at risk of dying, getting hit for 60k, which is 30% of a DK HP (give or take) allows for a 3 strike window to kill such a tank.

In 25 man (normal even) you get hit for 100k, that is 50% of the tank HP and you're now in the 2 strike range to die.

Yes you have more healers to cover for that, but random factors can and will kill you.

Because as a tank its your job to hold threat at all times. Damage Mit is important but secondary.

No, just no, a tank job is to stay alive at all times, let me put it this way, a dead tank does zero threat.

Second make healers life easier (if the healers have more breathing room mistakes are more easier recoverable).

Third, make dps life easier, only now comes threat, dps have threat dump skills, those that don't have them can get Salvation, if you don't have that, well though luck wait for the tank to build threat.

The only time you want dps stats is in the scenarios Liar outlined or Alysrazor type of fights, but even at Alysrazor if you can't survive the Hatching damage you can't dps it down meaning you need a balance of dps/tanking stats there with focus on tanking.

I recently wrote a simulator to investigate mastery vs avoidance. It covers the system of runes, death runes via death strike, runic empowerment, disease application, blood shield absorption, and combat ratings. I'm currently not looking at raid buffs, survivability cooldowns, haste, and lots of other things. It simulates a character hitting a boss while a boss hits a character doing 85K melees and a 1.8 swing speed for five minutes. I started with my mastery-heavy build, and swapped mastery for dodge in 50 point increments, running each scenario 1000 times.

The columns are:

- amount of mastery converted to dodge for this run

- average amount of healing via DS

- average amount of absorption via blood shield

- total damage taken (not avoided, not absorbed)

- total damage taken per second

- total (damage taken - ds heals) per second

m_dodge ds_heal bs_absorb       damage  damage_sec      damage_minus_heals_sec

0       1418502.58      2068038.05      6477188.75      21590.63        16862.29

50      1416024.70      2040618.77      6460911.23      21536.37        16816.29

100     1420005.23      2019041.58      6467732.42      21559.11        16825.76

150     1416983.22      1994493.32      6450261.78      21500.87        16777.60

200     1408920.02      1957492.95      6435792.95      21452.64        16756.24

250     1410942.47      1937103.54      6434063.66      21446.88        16743.74

300     1412529.43      1913978.56      6434367.84      21447.89        16739.46

350     1404745.56      1879634.68      6384636.52      21282.12        16599.64

400     1406762.41      1861355.65      6425158.35      21417.19        16727.99

450     1410241.21      1837659.75      6395164.85      21317.22        16616.41

500     1406684.75      1809689.49      6362009.91      21206.70        16517.75

550     1408336.10      1790705.70      6389451.20      21298.17        16603.72

600     1403496.12      1760707.95      6416858.15      21389.53        16711.21

650     1400882.27      1735627.06      6381786.24      21272.62        16603.01

700     1401026.35      1712787.21      6399849.09      21332.83        16662.74

750     1401580.72      1688293.47      6379505.33      21265.02        16593.08

800     1400336.66      1660051.60      6359994.20      21199.98        16532.19

850     1400660.01      1639643.00      6347681.20      21158.94        16490.07

900     1391343.01      1606003.31      6341585.09      21138.62        16500.81

950     1388585.45      1579820.05      6376047.35      21253.49        16624.87

1000    1387522.63      1553118.66      6351563.44      21171.88        16546.80

As more mastery gets converted to avoidance, we see self DS healing go down, which makes sense as there is less direct physical damage. We see blood shield absorption down, which makes sense as shields are smaller. We also see overall damage taken go down, meaning one conclusion from this sim is that avoidance is better than mastery from a pure damage-taken standpoint. The final column factors in self-heals as well, which is a little dicey because realistically a lot of that healing could be overheals. Even still, more avoidance seems to decrease total damage taken.

Keep in mind this does not factor in any additional magic damage, which would contribute to blood shields and the effectiveness of mastery. Nor does it address issues regarding damage spikes and healer quality-of-life issues. What I take away from all this is that a pure mastery build may still be desirable, but it is not the be-all-end-all of DK survivability

Caveat to all of the below: No discussion of average damage taken, or net damage taken including DS heals, is really relevant to the discussion at hand. The issue is not that we're taking too much damage over the course of the fight, it is that we are far more likely to take a burst of damage due to combinations of avoidance RNG, missed Death Strikes, and unavailability of runes. That said, it's still useful to have correct information about long-term average damage taken.

I have a couple of questions and coments about your table that likely lead to the conclusion that it is incorrect.

1. Did you model avoidance diminishing returns correctly?

2. How often is the tank Death Striking in your model?

3. Why is there no magical/unavoidable damage included?

If diminishing returns are not correctly modeled, your result will incorrectly favor avoidance, if your tank is not Death Striking often enough (1 per 8 seconds should be "normal"), the same is true.

As for the third, it's long been known that in a pure physical damage fight, avoidance is at the very least even with, and often ahead of, mastery. However, these fights don't exist.

I further question your conclusion because the only time anyone has actually published math around the interactions between these effects, here: Avoidance vs Mastery (ie. Blood Shield) : Tank talk - Page 28, the conclusion reached was that in any reasonable magic/physical damage mix, mastery was far ahead of avoidance, and even in a purely physical damage fight, if Death Strikes occur often enough, mastery was still more effective.

I have a couple of questions and coments about your table that likely lead to the conclusion that it is incorrect.

1. Did you model avoidance diminishing returns correctly?

2. How often is the tank Death Striking in your model?

3. Why is there no magical/unavoidable damage included?

If diminishing returns are not correctly modeled, your result will incorrectly favor avoidance, if your tank is not Death Striking often enough (1 per 8 seconds should be "normal"), the same is true.

As for the third, it's long been known that in a pure physical damage fight, avoidance is at the very least even with, and often ahead of, mastery. However, these fights don't exist.

1) I did model DR and compared against armory values, it all checked out

2) As of now, about 5.6 times per minute. The basic rule is to always DS if both pairs are up to keep runes cycling, otherwise DS on a damage spike or previous runes are about to come off cooldown - I know this is low, but I think this is due to not modeling haste at all. Right now it is a flat 10 seconds per run. If I change this hard-coded value to 8, it shoots up to 7.4 DS per minute, so it sounds like something that is a big enough of a variable that I need to model it correctly

3) I just haven't implemented anything, but it would be fairly easy to add. If anyone has a suggestion that could be considered somewhat representative of raid content, e.g. "take 100K damage every 45 seconds", I could model that in

Unlike the tooltip would lead you to believe, the vengeance cap is 10% of base health + 10% of stamina.

[iTEM]65118[/iTEM]

363 strength * 1.05 (kings) * 1.15 (fallen crusader) * 2 (str ap value) = 877 ap

[iTEM]65109[/iTEM]

544 stam * 1.08 (blood press) * 1.09 (veteran) * 1.02 (stoneskin) * 1.05 (kings) * 0.1 (veng ap value) = 69 ap

If it was 10% of health, tanks would be doing some pretty insane damage on baleroc

I believe it is Stamina + 10% of base health, instead of 10% of (base health+stamina). The tooltip shows 10% of health since it is based off the old Stamina->Health value; it changed to 14 health/stamina, and they changed the formula accordingly because they did not want to buff tanks' AP even more.

It would still lead to less DPS, however, and I personally believe that capping Expertise and Hit comes first since you already get a huge amount of AP without using trinkets for it (easily > 12k). You can always use 2p T11 and 2p T12 as well, if the loss of mitigation does not hurt.

EDIT:

Regarding the current discussion, I only have an alt DK, so I don't have hands-on experience; however, I agree that changing to a Stamina-based gearing with a higher focus on guaranteeing DS landing might be best, since it's probably the best way to increase a DK's EH.

There was a new post by Ghostcrawler concerning threat and how it will look in 4.3. The whole post can be found here. What's interesting for our discussion about DK and their EH is the part suggesting that other tanks will also get an active mitigation button to push, much like our DS. This could be fun to see, if for example for Warriors and Paladins block stopped being a passive thing but a active button to click much like our DS. This could have a "less spiky boss damage" consequence in 4.3.

But until 10HC starts to melee DKs for 100k damage, DKs are not at risk of dying, getting hit for 60k, which is 30% of a DK HP (give or take) allows for a 3 strike window to kill such a tank.

I think you have a misconception because the magnitude of the melee hits are not the problem with DK tanks, it's the frequency at which they happen. DK tanks are at a danger of dying if they take 2-3 unmitigated hits, by unmitigated I mean hits that are not cushioned with Blood Shield or Death Strike. If you get unlucky with RE procs, are in the middle of putting up diseases/burning Blood Runes, this happens quite often.

I also would love to be getting hit for 60k rather than 80k+. or in the case of some bosses, all of my health.

This could have a "less spiky boss damage" consequence in 4.3.

I don't see this helping DKs at all. The other 3 tanks still would be preferable, especially with an active mitigation model. Why? Simply because their Death Strike equivalent is a button that prevents damage. They don't have to get hit first to do this so we are back at square one: If EH matters, DKs will be the worst tank to go to. Again.

I'm rather disappointed the Blog post didn't address EH issues at all nor the fact that hard capping exp is not feasible for us even if GC is "happy" if we gear for it. I don't think he gets the difference between a DS not landing multiple times in a row being much, much worse than white attacks for Warriors/Druids not landing (that is with the assumption of Savage Defense and Shield Block having a cool down inbetween which you can bank rage; if they don't have a cool down then we might as well forget about achieving tank parity at all like this).

Giving other tanks the advantages of active mitigation but without the disadvantages (lower armor, higher reliance on hit/exp, having to monitor damage taken, having to take damage first) is just plain dumb and making DKs look worse in comparison. (Even if boss damage scales down a little.)

EDIT: Might as well address the threat argument: It's a stealth buff for us for AoE situations. We'd have to use less Death Rune Blood Boils to keep threat which means we can DS more. On single target, I don't care. We have our own mini game to watch for with Death Strike so it's not like we can go AFK during bosses anyway. If I were still tanking on my Warrior though, I'd be majorly pissed off for making the threat game even more boring.

I believe it is Stamina + 10% of base health, instead of 10% of (base health+stamina). The tooltip shows 10% of health since it is based off the old Stamina->Health value; it changed to 14 health/stamina, and they changed the formula accordingly because they did not want to buff tanks' AP even more.

It would still lead to less DPS, however, and I personally believe that capping Expertise and Hit comes first since you already get a huge amount of AP without using trinkets for it (easily > 12k). You can always use 2p T11 and 2p T12 as well, if the loss of mitigation does not hurt.

Looks like your right, I was basing that on a formula on wowpedia. Looking back at the post Nethera made, she does say Vengeance cap is equal to Stamina + 10% of base health. So each point of stamina is equal to 1 attack power, not 0.1 attack power.

There was a new post by Ghostcrawler concerning threat and how it will look in 4.3. The whole post can be found here. What's interesting for our discussion about DK and their EH is the part suggesting that other tanks will also get an active mitigation button to push, much like our DS. This could be fun to see, if for example for Warriors and Paladins block stopped being a passive thing but a active button to click much like our DS. This could have a "less spiky boss damage" consequence in 4.3.

So going by what GC wrote, in the section about comparing to death knights, turning shield block, holy shield, and savage defense into active migitation (like death strike) is on the drawing board.

The only way I see this working, is if: paladin and warrior mastery no longer give block rating, armor is lowered to the point where they are dependant on using their active abilities, all boss damage is balanced around needing to use an active migitation ability, as well as the fact that the ability will not always be active.

I think part of what he missed there, is that we don't need hit/exp to generate runes. We need it to make sure death stike lands. Thanks to rage, its pretty much impossible to make a druid or warrior worry about his resource on a boss fight. Unless the boss hits like a wet noodle, they should always have excess rage. I guess having to generate holy power is a bit closer to what death knights deal with, but unless the active migitation is on the melee combat table it's not the same.

1) I did model DR and compared against armory values, it all checked out

2) As of now, about 5.6 times per minute. The basic rule is to always DS if both pairs are up to keep runes cycling, otherwise DS on a damage spike or previous runes are about to come off cooldown - I know this is low, but I think this is due to not modeling haste at all. Right now it is a flat 10 seconds per run. If I change this hard-coded value to 8, it shoots up to 7.4 DS per minute, so it sounds like something that is a big enough of a variable that I need to model it correctly

If I recall correctly Blizzard, or more specificall GC, said that they balanced DKs around 7 DS per minute. I've heard that some tanks manage to get up to 9.5 DS a minute, but I figure that requires pitch perfect timing of runes, tied with good RNG, to actually get the 45% RE proc.

So it would be interesting to see how much the value of Mastery improves with higher DS frequencies.