Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tehax

Death Knight: Cataclysm Simple Q & A

250 posts in this topic

Haste does absolutely nothing to the number or frequency of DK disease ticks. They always tick every 3sec no matter what your haste is. The only way to get 'extra ticks' is from Epidemic, which only extends the duration of the debuff and doesn't make them tick any faster.

Hi! What is better to enchant for the Back (Uh-DK): [Enchant Cloak - Greater Critical Strike] = +65 crit o. [Enchant Cloak - Greater Speed] = + 23 Haste? I thinking Haste.

Stay of Execution - Item - World of Warcraft what you think about that trinket? It's good for DK tank or not?

Blood Shield can absorb that damage? Can it absorb magic damage?

Trinket ticks 5 times

2 sec = 4558.4 damage

4 sec = 4558.4 damage

6 sec = 4558.4 damage

8 sec = 4558.4 damage

10 sec = 4558.4 damage

After the effect ends, you take 22792 damage over 10 seconds. It's 40% from 56980 damage absorb.

Trinket absorb 20% of incomming damage up to 56980 and it have 2 min cooldown. How long I will have that effect on me in 10 and 25 raids (boss attack speed)?

My DK is an alt, but I am curious, with haste affecting rune cool-down how does it compare to traditional defensive stats? Faster runes are more Death Strikes and Blood Shields, but I wouldn't know how to even begin theory crafting that.

You never want to actively gear for haste as a tank, however outside of hit and expertise it is the most beneficial dps stat for dk tanks. As an example if you had a choice between a crit/mastery weapon and a haste/mastery where the secondary stats are the same value, you'd prefer the haste/mastery.

It's easy to see the vast improvements on DS spamming when you run around in 5 mans in a haste oriented DPS set, but unfortunately it's not optimal for raids.

Typically speaking when gearing your priorities should be:

Enough stamina to survive any foreseeable burst -> mastery -> hit/exp or dodge/parry depending on which route you're taking > dodge/parry or hit/exp depending on which route you decided to take > haste > crit.

Many DKs tanking in high end FL 25m raid guilds have opted for the heavy stamina/hit/exp setup (see etain, otou, or myself for gearing/gemming choices) rather than the heavy mastery/dodge/parry route (see riggnaros as an example) because it's our only real way to combat the burst we are susceptible to, but for T11 content (normal and heroic) and 5 mans it's far from necessary to gem towards stamina and you're best off going with a heavy mastery route.

There is also different gearing choices for 10m vs 25m in FL. 10m bosses hit drastically lower for a single swing and as a result you're able to maximize your survivability through mastery instead of increasing EH via stamina to survive the incoming burst damage. Stargazer (US) and Tyvi (Euro) are armory choices to look at for 10m raiding.

It's easy to see the vast improvements on DS spamming when you run around in 5 mans in a haste oriented DPS set, but unfortunately it's not optimal for raids.

Typically speaking when gearing your priorities should be:

Enough stamina to survive any foreseeable burst -> mastery -> hit/exp or dodge/parry depending on which route you're taking > dodge/parry or hit/exp depending on which route you decided to take > haste > crit.

I understand burst-wise how stam and mastery would be a better defensive stat than haste, but why dodge/parry and how would I compare the defensive values to haste. In other words given a choice between a mastery/haste piece and mastery/dodge piece how would I compare the defensive value of haste and dodge? I'm looking for something to calculate it quantitatively.

Also how is hit making it above dodge/parry in any raid gearing choice, confused on what you mean by that. Threat buffs and all would think you would want all defensive stats.

I understand burst-wise how stam and mastery would be a better defensive stat than haste, but why dodge/parry and how would I compare the defensive values to haste. In other words given a choice between a mastery/haste piece and mastery/dodge piece how would I compare the defensive value of haste and dodge? I'm looking for something to calculate it quantitatively.

Also how is hit making it above dodge/parry in any raid gearing choice, confused on what you mean by that. Threat buffs and all would think you would want all defensive stats.

Until the change comes in with landing DS consistently hit/exp is viable (review my armory, otou or etains, all 6/7h dks who actively tank each fight). Avoidance has some severe DR in the higher gear levels and sacrificing ~4% avoidance in favor of a 13% (exp soft cap) to 21% reduction in missrate on DS provides more consistent shields when you need them allowing you to choose how to smooth out your damage.

With 0 hit and 0 expertise you have a miss rate of 28.5% (14% parry, 6.5% dodge, and 8% miss), with 26 expertise (781 rating) you reduce that to a 15.5% chance at the cost of 4.41% avoidance. With hit and parry caps it's a little closer and debatable whether it's worth doing. I'm personally aiming for spell hit cap because I *hate* outbreak missing, and let the other ~2% melee hit kind of float there. For Alysrazor you could always throw on LtS for cap, etc.

This obviously ends up being less than a 4% loss because of how itemization already is in that you're not strictly trading avoidance for expertise/hit and avoidance DRs kicking in to effect (close to 1-2% at our levels).

In terms of haste it's a little trickier, as haste has specific 'breakpoints' with rune regen where it would impact death strike in a significant way and no one has really bothered to figure that out because it's obvious that the amount of avoidance (and most likely mastery) lost to achieve the haste break points would exceed the benefit of haste in the first place. It's fine for 5 mans because you never take enough damage in a single swing to put you remotely in to death category, but on anything that hits hard enough, and especially fast hitting or multi-mob pulls, avoidance will win out (avoidance already wins out on any fight where you can't actively time your DS between the majority of the hits - such as Baleroc).

I had a dream: is it possible to equip Scaces of Life Trinquet AND its hc version?

Unique-Equipped: Scales of Life (1)

This has never been possible for any unique equipped item.

I am thinking about using an Unholy spec for certain fights in Firelands for the extra raid cooldown, i notice Anti-Magic Zone has around a 38k limit to its absorbtion amount. My question is, does that absorb 75% of all magic damage from a single hit (beyond the 38k) or does it cut off, allowing the rest of the spell to do its damage as normal, for example, would it absorb 75% of a cleave from Majordomo in scorpion form, or would it absorb 38k and let the rest through?

If you time it well, then it'll do what you think - absorb 75% of the damage on everyone. This is most probably not the intended behaviour, I guess it's more of a byproduct of latency if anything.

I will admit that I am not sure whether this question counts towards the simple or towards the outright moronic... But what would a good and proper sim for estimating DPS be? I have used Rawr for gearing, but it seems to be less than accurate as far as DPS sims go.

I am trying to look into the % of absorb that Dark Simulacrum does when used on a boss, but seem to be struggling to find any discussions about it. This is from a tanking perspective as used as a damage reduction tool, but also as DPS to trying to minimise the damage taken if I can avoid it.

Has anyone done any work into this? Just asking this before I embark on looking into it simply to find out that someone else beat me to it.

/edited "cause I spell like a retard"

I am trying to look into the % of absorb that Dark Simucration does when used on a boss, but seem to be struggling to find any discussions about it. This is from a tanking perspective as used as a damage reduction tool, but also as DPS to trying to minimise the damage taken if I can avoid it.

Has anyone done any work into this? Just asking this before I embark on looking into it simply to find out that someone else beat me to it.

/edited "cause I spell like a retard"

You'll find zero discussions about Dark Simulacrum and the % of absorb because it doesn't say anything about providing an absorb % in its description and not many bosses cast absorb shields that allow you to copy them.

What it says in the tooltip is and I quote "Against nonplayers, only absorbs some harmful spells." maybe this is poorly worded, but what it means is that there will be spells that NPCs do that aren't going to be copied.

I will admit that I am not sure whether this question counts towards the simple or towards the outright moronic... But what would a good and proper sim for estimating DPS be? I have used Rawr for gearing, but it seems to be less than accurate as far as DPS sims go.

AFAIK, there is currently no reliable sim or other tool for analyzing DK dps. Which probably explains the lack of any stat weights in the UH thread, and the Frost weights being labeled "preliminary".

I've read the forums on here and a few other places. I've checked my gear against Mr. Robot and also asked some other DKs on my server about it. My DPS just doesn't seem as high as it should be with the gear I have. I'm DW F DK, ilvl of 376 ( non-pvp) and I do around 18-21k on FL N Bosses. Aside from not having the Wildhammer head enchant ( currently working on it, revered so far ).. Is my rotation wrong? I am on World of Logs. I am looking for any constructive criticism you guys can give me. If I am doing something wrong I want to know so I can improve my DPS / play.

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

Odric @ Magtheridon - Game - World of Warcraft

I've read the forums on here and a few other places. I've checked my gear against Mr. Robot and also asked some other DKs on my server about it. My DPS just doesn't seem as high as it should be with the gear I have. I'm DW F DK, ilvl of 376 ( non-pvp) and I do around 18-21k on FL N Bosses. Aside from not having the Wildhammer head enchant ( currently working on it, revered so far ).. Is my rotation wrong? I am on World of Logs. I am looking for any constructive criticism you guys can give me. If I am doing something wrong I want to know so I can improve my DPS / play.

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

Odric @ Magtheridon - Game - World of Warcraft

Thanks for the help. I changed up my trinkets and I redid the enchant on my hands. I also added 2 bars on my NeedToKnow addon for Blood Plague and Frost Fever, as well as a Horn of Winter. I'll see if that helps me with my Disease being on all the time. Thanks for the reply.

I do have a question about AoD. I was told that using it while Heroism is up your ghouls get a percentage of your buffs. That doesn't apply to hero as well? I was also told that using my Ghoul was "a waste of time" by a DK in Regen. He's doing FL Heroics so I assumed he knew what he was talking about. Only reason I stopped using it frequently. I always saw it as added DPS if nothing else.

Ghouls do significant damage over time actually, so that DK is either dumb or was trolling you. For example take our Ragnaros kill this week: World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

My Ghoul did 600k damage, yes Ragnaros is a long boss but I'd say that's quite significant. Just make sure that you use Pillar of Frost first. Using a Ghoul without PoF first is a big no no. Ideally you line it up with other STR procs as well.

I will keep using my ghoul, I figured it added a reliable amount of DPS as well.. it just seemed odd not to use something that acts independently. Like Dancing Rune Weapon, it's more DPS that you don't have to control. So yea, I agree it's a plus.

Ghoul serves a very critical purpose, when you activate Pillar about 4-7 seconds in, you'll hit a small lul where there's nothing to cast, all your runes are cooling, there's not much RP, or there is RP but you're >1s away from another rune and want to Rime-OB instead. Then is the time to drop a Ghoul. Having a ghoul go off when there's Bloodlust and combining it with a Str trink like Essence and a strength pot and he tears faces.

Army is a totally different story; Army is a colossal waste of time to channel and does negligible damage compared to a ghoul. The only time Army is debatably useful is during downtime, like when Rag drops his hammer just before sons come up, or in BoT when the 4 elements combine to form captain planet. Even then, Army is nearly trivial in it's output, at best around 100k. There are technical points where army is brilliant, however, because they still do taunt adds. I'm told you can cheese a Son at Rag with an army, but I haven't tried.

@Odric

I looked at your WoL report for Shannox (since you should be doing single target for that entire fight). You have 84x HB and only 55x OBs. So, either you're trying some wonky shadowfrost priority with a low Mastery value (which you should reforge much higher if this is the case) or you're hitting HB for times other than Rime (which again is bad unless you're doing AoE, which you shouldn't be for Shannox).

Hi there,

i got the following Question :

My DW DK can get +95 Haste Rating through another possible Reforging,

but will loose -46 Mastery Rating, -42 Hit Rating and -7 Expertise Rating.

I think that sounds very good, but there is one Problem. My Expertise is

actually 782, so it will be 6 Points below the Softcap.

So whats the better Deal ? More Haste & Slightly below the Expertise-Cap or beeing Capped with some less Haste ?

Thanks for any Suggestions

Hi there,

i got the following Question :

My DW DK can get +95 Haste Rating through another possible Reforging, but will loose -46 Mastery Rating and -7 Expertise Rating.

the point of reforging is to trade one stat for the same amount of another, how can u gain 42 rating (95-(46+7)) through reforging, you are missing something.

to your question: 6 mastery below the softcap is okay if you gain enough haste as a trade for mastery/haste/crit.