Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosin

4.3 Discipline Priest Compendium

148 posts in this topic

My point is, besides HPS, Dpriest can bring some utility to raid. Healing is not "all" about numbers. Remember Spine25HM first down, the healing party was 2 Pal and 3 or 4 Sham. Now, Shams arent anywhere top healing charts.
Im fully agreed with you. As I mentioned earlier:

Disc priest atm rather good raid healer with >>tremendous<< amount of utility

That utility spells (ohshit-buttons and life-saving things) are the reasons why Disc priest is a musthave in all raid setups.

That utility spells (ohshit-buttons and life-saving things) are the reasons why Disc priest is a musthave in all raid setups.

Why are they (Discipline Priests) not capable of laying down the "utility" spells as well as MT healing. While allowing the Holy Paladins to cover the raid heals, since apparently this is where their true strength lies?

I don't see why you can't spam PWS. On the contrary, with full 391 gear and 140k you can pretty much spam PoH/PWS for extended periods of time. Since you can pretty much spam it, chain casting it at all times even when raid health is high makes perfect sense and similarly staying in inner will as much as is necessary to allow you to chain cast at least a 3:1 PoH/PWS ratio is an overall HPS gain.

A lot of fights in DS as disc are all about setting up as big an absorption buffer as you can until a big damage spike comes. e.g. warmaster, morchok, warlord, madness. Especially on morchok and warmaster its full pws/poh interleaving while the raid is full health then 2xpoh-1xpws while the raid health is down after a hit. We cant compete with other classes for burst healing or high HPS output, but our ability to prevent deaths should not be underestimated. HAving a 10-12k aegis or a 35k PWS when a big hit comes its a huge deal

Same thing on warlord Black phase and while the debuff is up on normal phase its 1:1 PWS-PoH, otherwise 2-3poh+1PWS.

If we wait for damage to happen before we heal, then we might as well respec holy or reroll paladin. The strength of discipline for me, is that you provide a semi-permanent rallying cry buff when healing raid

PS: On hc warlord, PWS with the glyph is actually very important. IF you are healing raid its mandatory, since its our biggest heal hands down without stacked grace. Even if you are healing tank its extremely useful, because it buffs gheal. Having the 4pt13 bonus makes it a no brainer.

You can definitely shield spam. Actually, my ranking parse on regular morchok I'm pretty sure was a shield spam fight. Every now and then I come and check out these forums to see what people are or aren't doing, and I came across some talk of disc priests reforging out of spirit. I thought it was pretty crazy so I decided to do nothing but spam PW:S as much as the weakened soul debuff would allow on Morchok, and I ended the fight with 50% mana. That's much more mana than I typically end a fight with as I try to end the fight with no mana. I've since re-evaluated my spirit. The fact of the matter is it is very viable now, at least from the 10man point of view.

There a few things that makes people say "NO, we don't shield spam anymore!" One of the big reasons being, because they are talking about 25mans. It makes a much bigger impact on a 10man, where you effectively have the time and resources to shield the entire raid, than in a 25man. The other big reason being that a lot of people posting here are also working on hardmodes. There are many times where just a single PW:S just isn't enough, or the damage is constant and then you are left with a weakened soul debuff and not much else you can do but use that POH everyone is preaching.

In my opinion there are plenty of very amazing places for PW:S spam in a 10man, and I find places even in 25man when I doing raid finder raids. There are also lots of places where POH seems to shine. The best thing is to find the balance of both worlds, find how you can incorporate all your spells, incorporate your blanketing of shields with your aoe heals, and then work that around your other healers. I love my PW:S spam on burst AOE even in heroics, because I know whatever my shield doesn't quite absorb, my holy pally friend will pick up with a radiance.

As for tank healing from a 10man point of view, I don't know why you would want to do such a thing. Disc priests are the only class that offer the type of pre-emptive mitigation style healing (other than the pally's rather weak mastery). Why you wouldn't want that all over your raid is beyond me. It's not like you have a dedicated tank healer in a 10man technically anyways. If I were to pick a tank healer, it wouldnt be a disc priest, nor a holy pally. It would be a resto shaman. Resto shamans have many tools and the nature of their spells and their mastery alone make them a more effective choice.

Min-maxing is about doing the best in the worst situation.

Normal 10 man and LFR 25 man hardly applies to such definition.

My first and only LFR was done mashing HolyFlames/Smite and ranking first on every thing except Hagara.

As you said, damage is low in 10 norm and 25lfr, by pw:s blanketing you absord most of it preventing others healers to have anything to heal and thus, you appears realy high on recount.

Not to say PW:S doesnt have a lot of use in numerous fight (PW:S safes lifes, PoH refils hp bar) but bubble spamming can't be called "efficient" in 25HM or even 25norm.

You can do whatever the hell you want in Normal Modes in LFR, the damage isnt high enough. People here post stuff about Shield Spamming when it come stop Heorics, and you actually get somewhat stressed on mana.

Shield spam does have use in 10m Heroic, sure. I use it during Rolls on Heroic Spine, when there's a lot of Searing Plasma out and Absorptions become very useful. I pre-Shield everyone before the Elementium Bolt on the 4th Platform on Heroic Madness. I spam Shields on every Shrapnel target in P2 of Madness Heroic. Etc etc. It has uses, but claiming something is viable when you're doing 10% nerfed NORMAL mode isn't really accurate.

Hello all-- in need of some input regarding H Yor'sahj. Having real issues staying alive during adds (black), and (to a lesser extent) healing through Deep Coruption (purple). Here's a link to our attempts:

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

Above and beyond looking at that parse, does anyone have any tips for those two phases?? Can't really understand why I'm having a hard time staying up for black; I'm keeping fade on CD, but it just seems like I'm always low. As for purple, I have been using gheal and PoM almost exclusively, but am thinking of a few different ideas:

- Keep renew rolling on my group (we have one healer responsible for each group), as it only creates a stack on the application, not the refresh or ticks

- Have the HPally be in the group with the tank (I am in the tank's group atm).

Spending GCD's on renew seems like a waste, but I just don't know how to put out more hps. The pally has his beacon on the tank already, so I don't really like the idea of having him in the tank's group. The other (best?) idea I had was to get WAY better at timing heals for when the debuff momentarily falls off, half-way through the phase (this is accurate, right?).

In any event, I'd love any/all feedback, as I'm really holding the group back at this point.

Thanks,

Dog

Make sure to apply some shields and renews before the purple phase starts. The renews and shield won't count towards the puple debuff. Also you need to watch the Purple debuff fall off indeed. I almost only use greater heal during purple, since it's the biggest heal you can give out. Sometimes I use a BH to get me and a raider some HP quick. But that's just sometimes. Our pally uses his beacon by healing most of the other raiders with low debuffs counts. Even when their health is high. We never heal a person a fifth time. Remember you have CD's like lay on hands if the tank dips to much. Maybe use your Pain supression with puprle+black.

The adds can be kind of a pain, but we always focus down those first even before regaining mana through the sphere. When the adds are focussed down the phases with adds get pretty easy. Just make sure you use a hymn on 1 phases with the sphere + adds. Personal CD's on a second and concentration potion on the third. (Or more hymns or the druid mana regen if you have those in you party)

On Red+Yellow+black we use CD's on 1 and BL on the other. That usually makes it easy enough to heal through.

try timing your fade when the adds spawn. i believe they do a fixate (based on threat) when they spawn, so healers get picked a lot and fade won't help after they fixate.

i don't think renew is a good idea as disc during black phase. the amount of healing you get per stack is not likely to be worth it, and only holy can refresh it for free in serenity. you will get another stack if you refresh by casting renew again.

you should be able to blanket the raid in PW:S before the purple hits the boss and pump up some good DA's with PoH as well. PW:S only gives 1 stack, even when glyphed, so it seems like a good use of a stack. pennance gives 1 stack, not 3, so it's viable. you basically get four heals on each player every ~30 seconds (length of the debuff) to keep your group alive.

you could also try 3 healing; it's not necessary, but it does make it a bit easier if you have enough dps.

Soximus - Healing the purple (healing debuff) is pretty straight forward for a disc priest, as you are on 10 man have your paladin heal the group with your tank in g1 for arguments sake and then you cover group 2, 4 people is more than enough to keep the MT up with direct healing and beacon from the Paladin. I tend to shield everyone and bounce a PoM off of the tank if anyone drops below 50% I throw a greater heal. I haven't had a death doing this and the reset time of the debuff is enough for you to to as high as 4 and then it should reset.

So shield (35k), greater heal (30k), shield (35k), greater heal (30k) then it should reset giving you an effective heal of around 130k per person and giving you a nice buffer.

For the add's if fade is off cd and you are not using cooldown's because it isn't Red - Black - Yellow (only one we use them for) you can always give a shout to your paladin for Hand of Protection but you really should be able to heal through it with a Paladin spamming Holy Radiance and you spamming PoH.

Well as a threshold matter that log is a real head-scratcher. I'm looking at attempt no. 4, lasting 5:34. Your holy paladin did not once cast Holy Radiance, which should be his top overall heal in this fight. The priest did not once cast PoH, which should see heavy use in any phase without purple. It's like someone told the healers to play as if Deep Corruption is up the entire fight, so the healers never cast their main AoE heals. No wonder the healers could no longer keep up (went OOM?) consistently around the 5 minute mark.

I'd say have the healers and raid leader study a guide like Icy Veins to fully understand the mechanics, and make certain the healers have their UIs set up to show when the Deep Corruption debuff is actually up and how many stacks are on each person. When it's not up let the AOE heals fly.

you could also try 3 healing; it's not necessary, but it does make it a bit easier if you have enough dps.

We found it actually harder to do with 3 healers, because of the purple debuff. You need communication for that and with 3 healers we overloaded vent.

Well as a threshold matter that log is a real head-scratcher. I'm looking at attempt no. 4, lasting 5:34. Your holy paladin did not once cast Holy Radiance, which should be his top overall heal in this fight. The priest did not once cast PoH, which should see heavy use in any phase without purple. It's like someone told the healers to play as if Deep Corruption is up the entire fight, so the healers never cast their main AoE heals. .../snip

This expression editor query isn't displaying correctly, but the link works. We did get purple twice in a row during that 4th attempt, but we both completely blew it on the third set-- for some reason we thought we had gotten purple again!!

]Error parsing expression

Any way, thanks very much for the tips. Really helpful. I think I compound my issues by not always smoothly handling the first void (i.e., not popping fiend, hymn, wings properly); that should also help quite a bit.

The note about how to best avoid the adds is particularly helpful-- their threat mechanics seem pretty touchy, given the small gap between active aggro tables and Fixate!

-Dog

We found it actually harder to do with 3 healers, because of the purple debuff. You need communication for that and with 3 healers we overloaded vent.

1 Babysits tank(s), and the other two split the raid 4/4. Obviously this scales up simply enough as well.

Our pally uses his beacon by healing most of the other raiders with low debuffs counts.

Forgot to mention a neat trick with Beacon during purple phase-- if you have a hunter or warlock with a pet, the pally can Beacon the tank and just pump Divine Light into the pet whenever the tank needs a heal. The pet does not get Deep Corruption.

1 Babysits tank(s), and the other two split the raid 4/4. Obviously this scales up simply enough as well.

this is exactly what we do during purple - no vent needed.

pally heals himself + tank (using pet beacon heals to supplement)

druid takes the remaining 4 in group 1

priest takes the remaining 4 in group 2

Forgot to mention a neat trick with Beacon during purple phase-- if you have a hunter or warlock with a pet, the pally can Beacon the tank and just pump Divine Light into the pet whenever the tank needs a heal. The pet does not get Deep Corruption.

druids can also use the pet to proc efflorescence, which gives no stacks.

Actually, pally can heal purple solo. Spamming Divine Light on lowest person with Beacon on tank. Second healer (Disc for example) needed only for no-purple phases with heavy AoE (~400 pally also can solo them with Holy Radiance). And maybe for cooldowns. Barrier with glyph, Pain Suppression on tank or low person with Fixate and 3+ stacks etc.

Why is Darkness not part of the talents? Wouldnt the haste you get from it be useful for a faster heal?

Hey guys just checking in to get an idea on what glyphs and spec I should be running on heroic spine. Here's a link to my armory to get an idea of what I'm working with. Defyy @ Sargeras - Game Guide - World of Warcraft. I'm currently running with a resto druid, and holy pally. I am also on dispel duty if that matters. Any help is appreciated, we generally get to the third plate and start to crumble as soon as the amalg is about to blow the plate off for the first time. Armory is irrelevant at the moment because I've gone Holy to help with the debuff, but input would still be appreciated regarding healing as disc.

Run Disc, even with the nerfs mana can still be tight on this fight. Use AA/A to help DPS down Amalgs and get 5 stacks up before every Superheated or Roll. AA and Rapture are so much better for keeping mana on this long fight. PWB is also very strong for Roll #1 and Roll #2, and mass AoEing on Plate #3.

I personally dropped Glyph of PoH for Barrier. Outside of Superheated Nucleus there's very little use for PoH on the fight.

Because the Mists patch comes out tomorrow, this information is now obsolete and the thread will be closed. For the time being post questions in the MoP thread(s). New compendium posts will be coming as Mists itself gets into release.