Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flense

Roundtable video interview w/ WoW execs

49 posts in this topic

It must be pretty funny to design a boss fight and then get in the game and have people explain it to you like you're a 5-year-old.

It must be pretty funny to design a boss fight and then get in the game and have people explain it to you like you're a 5-year-old.

You're telling me you'd take a pug along to a raid and NOT explain the encounter in terms that a 5 year old could understand?

The most awesome part must be having people explain things you know are wrong and call you an idiot for not "getting it".

Do you have more info about Luke Smiths guild, or perhaps his character? I know few guys from GameSpot play WoW actively, but on more casual level I think.

If I recall correctly he used to work at 1up as a news editor, but has recently left 1up to work at Bungie. All I know is that he has a Scarab Lord Shaman, but recently moved over to play a Paladin. At one of the earlier Legendary Thread podcasts he reveals on which realm he is playing.

Thanks for the info. I've just listened to one of the podcasts and he sure knows, what he's talking about. Pity I've discovered this podcast just when he's not on the 1up team anymore, could have been fun.

"Tigole" doesn't seem as bad a person as your general tool on the wow-boards try to make him out to be, no surprise really.

It was fun to watch, I had hoped it was going to be longer though... Maybe we can see more of these in the future?

I've had lunch with Tigole before. He's a genuinely nice guy and is extremely passionate about the game even off-camera. As much as the masses whine about it being world of raidcraft, I get the impression he really does want the game to have a ton of content for everybody.

Sidenote: he's extremely well-read. A lot of the old world quests are rife with Hemingway and Dostoevsky references.

I dont no.

I have just heard him talk about it whenever he was on the 1up wow podcast (the legendary thread). It was kinda funny because you have a whole bunch of really casual players (many who had not hit 60) and then this superhardcore guy.

Ya its on the 1/16/07 podcast. I also love how he kind of leads the discussion even though you can tell he probably knows the answers. I do it a lot too also when I play with my non-hardcore friends. He said he has a 70 Shaman Scarab Lord on Arodar(?).

Do you have more info about Luke Smiths guild, or perhaps his character? I know few guys from GameSpot play WoW actively, but on more casual level I think.

He was Aganathyre tauren shaman in Paradox (Eredar) and raided with us for over 1 year. Was gleader and raidleader for a while, then left wow when he moved with work to a PST timezone and couldn`t raid anymore.

I see, thanks. Nice to see someone getting so involved, game media editors tend to be jacks of all trades, masters of none obviously.

Sidenote: he's extremely well-read. A lot of the old world quests are rife with Hemingway and Dostoevsky references.

It's hard to miss Hemet Nesingwary's Green Hills of Stranglethorn and Nikova Raskol's Crime and Punishment ;)

That was a cool video to watch, it's nice to see those guys are down to earth, and have so much experience in the field of MMORPGs, and a passion for the genre.

The most awesome part must be having people explain things you know are wrong and call you an idiot for not "getting it".

Better yet, be a lead developer and find yourself in a pug that uses a bunch of exploing/unintended strategies.

Hrm, wonder if they'd find themselves banned a few hours later.

He has master in literature, isn'it ? Or that was Furor ?

Oh man, can you imagine being him on that UBRS run having Drak explained to him? Right as the tank ran up to Drak I would have so turned it into Nef.

Oh man, can you imagine being him on that UBRS run having Drak explained to him? Right as the tank ran up to Drak I would have so turned it into Nef.
I'd say turning Drak into Razorgore would be far more subtle and fun instead.

Rob Pardo really radiates how comfortable he is with himself and his position right now. He comes accross as someone who thinks he's being (and quite likely is in fact being) very magnanimous about sitting down like that and having an interview. I don't doubt that he's a nice guy though, but he just has this air about him. Although I guess that's just something that easily happens when you're the lead designer of World of Warcraft and have worked at Blizzard for over a decade now.

He has master in literature, isn'it ? Or that was Furor ?

I believe he (Tigole) has a M.A. in Creative Writing actually. Click here for a short biography.

Jeff is one of those guys that's pretty passionate about most of the things he does. Intense is a word that pops to mind for me.

Don't believe the b-net hype, Tigole is good people (at least he was back in the days of The Nameless) and a heck of a writer.

I would be fascinated to see something of this ilk - and that's focusing on the low impact nature of the content - as a series.

"WoW exec roundtable: THE SERIES."

Sessions and sessions on "the references revealed" (although, hopefully, none of the patently obvious / shallow ones, and certainly not to exclusion - "So I was in this UBRS..." ). Something like, "Well, so and so has this quest which is a reference to this novel, by so and so. I read it back when I was in college, and insert semi-interesting ancedote here." Not everything needs to be "Hay, latest raid infos here 11!." Where things come from and where they go is fascinating.

Flipping topics, the comment on "All they talked about was raiding," seemed a little off... did I imagine the last ~60 seconds where the gentleman on the right (and I'm caricaturizing here) was laughing at having been one of UO's equivelents to That Ganking Rogue? I suppose it's that story about two old ladies on a busy street, ignored until one drops a quarter which suddenly everyone can hear.

But let me take a stab at that random outrage, if I may - Guitar Hero? What?! Are the Blizz devs too cool for Dance Dance Revolution?

But let me take a stab at that random outrage, if I may - Guitar Hero? What?! Are the Blizz devs too cool for Dance Dance Revolution?

They stopped playing DDR after they designed Heigan.

I'm really amazed that the Wi flag has translated to WoW so seamlessly, particularly given its relatively small origins. Boy, those were the days.

Heh, I played on Frostfell and saw Wi regularly ... and it was really quite funny. I remember being REALLY deep (solo) in this undead dungeon, a long ways away from where anyone else normally went.... I was rebuffing (remember taking 5 mins to buff for 15 mins of play?), saw him run by, then not 10 seconds later saw his death message. Had nothing to do with the wi flag (nobody else was around, anyone would have died), but still, it fed the Wi mystique. :)

As far as Tigole - he was by far the best speaker at Blizzcon. He KNEW what was going on, he was honest and forthcoming about WHY things happened, and you really got the feeling that he truly does the best he can for this game - a feeling I've never really gotten from any other developers on any other games. He was a GREAT public speaker, and always eemed well prepared. Not to dog Metzen, because I think he's got some great creative juices back there, but Metzen looked like he'd kinda just woken up that morning and gone "Shit, Blizzcon is today ... I think they want me to speak!"