Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrathblood

[Prot 5.0 Beta] - Code Monkey

62 posts in this topic

Just as an FYI, I have a series of posts on my blog outlining the new diminishing returns formulas in Mists. The first two posts provide the data and fitting methodology, while the final post talks about the implications for tanks. The short, short version is that we're going to value parry much more highly than dodge.

Avoidance Diminishing Returns in MoP – Part 1 | Sacred Duty

Avoidance Diminishing Returns in MoP – Part 2 | Sacred Duty

Avoidance Diminishing Returns in MoP – Part 3 | Sacred Duty

Slightly less short version: the equations are:

totalDodge = baseDodge + 1/(1/Cd + k/preDodge)

totalParry = baseParry + baseStr/Q + 1/(1/Cp + k/((Str-baseStr)/Q+preParry)[/code]

baseDodge and baseParry are as described (3.01 and 5.01, note that the naked character sheet value includes baseStr/Q)

baseStr is our base strength

preDodge and preParry are the pre-DR values due to dodge and parry rating, respectively, as read off of the tooltip

Q=952 is the strength-to-parry-pct conversion ratio

k=0.885

Cd=65.631440

Cp=235.5

In other words, k was lowered (from 0.956 in Cata), but otherwise the dodge equation is identical to the level 85 version. The parry equation uses the new value of k and has had the cap drastically increased. In addition, Strength is now giving "phantom" parry rather than giving parry rating, which is a reversion of the change that happened earlier in Cataclysm.

I have been playing around a little bit on beta, and here is the rotation I found works:

Single target: SoT, HotR-for debuff, CruS-for HP, Judgement-for HP, SotR-for Bastion of Glory stack, WoG-for heal and DPS increase if glyphed, AS-when off CD

Multi-target: SoR, Con-when off CD, HotR-for HP and debuff, Judgement-for HP, SotR-for BoG stack, WoG-for heal, AS-when off CD, HW-when off CD

Use small defensive CDs when they come off, big ones for big damage. Use either Judgement or AS to pull, you can use, dont use Reckoning only because they will aggro onto you, even if you get a miss.

ALWAYS have RF on.

I'm not sure how you define "works," but the rotations you suggested will still have a bunch of empty GCDs. There's plenty of room for using Consecration and Holy Wrath in the single-target rotation, for example.

I also doubt that the WoG glyph is actually a DPS increase over simply using SotR. My rough calculations are coming out at ~40k sustained DPS using the best rotation (SotR>CS>J>AS>Cons>HW). 9% of that is 3.6k DPS, or 21.6k damage over the 6-second duration. If my memory is correct, SotR will be doing nearly that much with no Vengeance, so while tanking SotR would probably be the better expenditure.

For the record, the rotation I've been assuming as "ideal" for tanking will be something like ^WB>^SS>SotR5>CS>J>AS>Cons>HW, which is basically the high-DPS rotation but with HotR and Sacred Shield prioritized for survival reasons. For AoE, it simply changes to ^SS>SotR5>HotR>J>AS>Cons>HW. Prioritizing AS and Cons above J may give you more DPS against large numbers of targets at the cost of survivability (SotR uptime).

Can anyone confirm that Bastion of Glory does not work with Eternal Flame, or if it does which parts scale (just the initial heal or also the HoT)?

Can anyone confirm that Bastion of Glory does not work with Eternal Flame, or if it does which parts scale (just the initial heal or also the HoT)?

Blizz just posted today that that was not intended and that they are going to fix it.

I don't see a Blue post today regarding it. I know a few days ago they mentioned how EF was not consuming Bastion stacks, but that wasn't the question I had.

As far as tooltips go, Bastion does not state that it works at all with Eternal Flame.

I also doubt that the WoG glyph is actually a DPS increase over simply using SotR. My rough calculations are coming out at ~40k sustained DPS using the best rotation (SotR>CS>J>AS>Cons>HW). 9% of that is 3.6k DPS, or 21.6k damage over the 6-second duration. If my memory is correct, SotR will be doing nearly that much with no Vengeance, so while tanking SotR would probably be the better expenditure.

I need to clarify here, I was only stating the glyph for those who went with it. Not sure what glyphs people are using, so that was just in case that was in someone's spots.

Also, on the topic of glyphs, what would people recommend?

I don't see a Blue post today regarding it. I know a few days ago they mentioned how EF was not consuming Bastion stacks, but that wasn't the question I had.

As far as tooltips go, Bastion does not state that it works at all with Eternal Flame.

From yesterday, EF doesn't consume bastion stacks and bastion scaled on the initial heal and on the hot also, you may also have crit on the hot. I was amazed to have a crit hot at 70k heal with an EF at 5 bastion stacks

I think they changed Clemency recently. It is now a passive that lets you use your Hands twice before incurring CD.

Also, did they remove the Vindication effect from Cata?

rebirth, yes they changed Clemency a few builds.

Reading the OP, Vindication is now Weakened Blows (WB) and is applied to all targets hit by HotR.