Meaning

Warlock Simple Questions Thread: Mists Edition

169 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I've been a lurker off and on for a while. Pandaria is the first time I've not been able to find out the information I need elsewhere. Plus this is my first time actually playing a warlock as my main.

So I'm starting to get comfortable with affliction, I'm wildly fluctuating with my dps because of wasting shards too often for refreshing dots. The root cause of this I've determined to be not understanding how procs and dots relate to each other.

To start with I'd like to confirm something. When I cast a dot, say corruption, that corruption spell is modified by all of the buffs that I currently have on me. So if I have Dark Soul: Misery + Blood Lust and have an 89% haste then my corruption will have an 89% haste for the duration of the corruption spell, correct?

Then let's say that both Dark Soul: Misery and Blood Lust expire with corruption having half its duration remaining (Thus getting the full benefit from Pandemic). If I recast corruption do I now gain a new corruption with normal haste lasting for 1.5x the duration of a normal corruption?

I know I have more questions but I think I can refine them better if I get the right information on this.

Thanks!

What is the haste value needed before and after buffs to get an extra tick on Immolate?

Does expertise grant spell hit?

I have googled this and apparently the answer appears yes. I tested this in-game with my engineering dragonling, I added an expertise cogwheel and I noticed no change on my character stat screen on my spell hit value.

It appears expertise is now granting hit, and it is showing increased odds on character screen. It didn't do this last night though.

What is the haste value needed before and after buffs to get an extra tick on Immolate?

Immolate gains an extra tick at the following Haste thresholds: 10.00%, 4250 Haste; 30%, 12750; 50%; and, 70%.

To start with I'd like to confirm something. When I cast a dot, say corruption, that corruption spell is modified by all of the buffs that I currently have on me. So if I have Dark Soul: Misery + Blood Lust and have an 89% haste then my corruption will have an 89% haste for the duration of the corruption spell, correct?

Then let's say that both Dark Soul: Misery and Blood Lust expire with corruption having half its duration remaining (Thus getting the full benefit from Pandemic). If I recast corruption do I now gain a new corruption with normal haste lasting for 1.5x the duration of a normal corruption?

AFAIK, Haste functions the same way Mastery does now; the % contribution updating dynamically, rather then being based on the amount when the cast is made as it did in Cataclysm.

I have googled this and apparently the answer appears yes. I tested this in-game with my engineering dragonling, I added an expertise cogwheel and I noticed no change on my character stat screen on my spell hit value.

Expertise + Hit = Spell Hit

This is really interesting, I've looked at a couple of logs and have not seen even one windsong proc, a couple of the top logs for warlocks have them using power torrent too. Seems there is confirmation found here : Windsong not working? - Forums - World of Warcraft

Thanks for the heads up!

Windsong is not working properly for casters at the moment. In comparison, Power Torrent had approximately 25% uptime during the majority of encounters in MSV that I did this week.

Immolate gains an extra tick at the following Haste thresholds: 10.00%, 4250 Haste; 30%, 12750; 50%; and, 70%.

This is only half correct; rounding behaviors affect the actual effective thresholds. Check the spreadsheet link in my signature.

AFAIK, Haste functions the same way Mastery does now; the % contribution updating dynamically, rather then being based on the amount when the cast is made as it did in Cataclysm.

So this is true?

Greeting fellow warlocks.

I have a few questions regarding affliction warlocks in MOP

1-Does one need to refresh dots after casting Haunt Debuff and/or Curse of Elements or do the dots dynamically take into account the dps increase from the haunt debuff and COE?

2-Is there any change in our channelled spell mechanics? i.e do we have to constantly monitor channelling ticks to decide when to stop channelling and refresh dots or cast other spells?

3-During a normal pull the rotation should be: COE, Haunt, Soul Burn + SoulSwap, Malefic Grasp. This will leave you with 2 shards. After a few seconds, you will need to refresh your Haunt which leaves you with just one soul shard. Assuming no nightfall procs, is it better to refresh the dots manually and save the last remaining shard for reapplying haunt for the third time, or is it better to Soul Burn + Soul Swap again and pray for a nightfall (and run the risk of not having haunt up)

4-Reg. Kiljaeden's cunning's passive effect during movement intensive fights: is it better to cast Malefic Grasp and move or is it better to spam fel flame and move? if the former is true, then is there any point in using fel flame at all (to add 6 seconds to dots for example?)

5-Considering epidemic talent, is it 100% essential to clip dots just when they reach half their uptime or is this not a significant dps gain and it is totally fine to refresh dots at any time as long as they have reached half their uptime?

1) I had the same question and decided to test this last night on the target dummy with Skada. I would cast one DOT and let it last until it exprired then recorded it's damage. Did this about 20 times to get a rough average damage number. I then did it again but cast Haunt after the DOT cast, also 20 times. And the same with haunt first. I found that the Haunt damage bonus applies to the DOTs regardless when the DOT is cast, however, you can get DOT ticks without the bonus. So in conclusion, the haunt damage bonus applies to all damage when haunt is applied, but you still want the bonus applied to all ticks, therefore using SB:SS is ideal so you get the most damage ticks under the buff before it expires.

2) Yes since cancelling a channel right before a tick can still be a DPS loss. Granted, it's not much of a problem since the level 90 spell gets rid of the problem is DOT clipping, so in most cases you can wait until a channel is finished before reapplying.

3) In my experience, it depends on the fights. Since I have a trinket with a chance to increase SP significantly, I save my soul shards for when it procs to cast haunt, DS:M, and SS:SB my DOTs to gain the SP/haste increase to do a ton of damage.

4) Not sure, and this is something that can be calculated with DPET. Calculate MG with a 50% increased duration to get the DPET and then the DEPT for FF.

5) The DPET for DOTs take in to account the full duration of the spell. If you constantly refresh a DOT slightly under the 50% mark, you're still not getting DPS from the last half. I still let DOTs run their full duration so I can get more MG spam in, and refresh early when I get a short term buff or if I know I'll need to move and can't refresh later.

Hey guys, I've been a lurker off and on for a while. Pandaria is the first time I've not been able to find out the information I need elsewhere. Plus this is my first time actually playing a warlock as my main.

So I'm starting to get comfortable with affliction, I'm wildly fluctuating with my dps because of wasting shards too often for refreshing dots. The root cause of this I've determined to be not understanding how procs and dots relate to each other.

I know I have more questions but I think I can refine them better if I get the right information on this.

Thanks!

DOTs when cast will take your haste/crit/mastery/sp values at the time they are cast. So if your buff runs out during the DOT duration and you recast, the new cast will change the damage modifiers to what you currently have. So you want to let the DOT run it's full duration before reapplying if your buffs ran out.

Yes, it does grant spell hit, although the paper doll won't show additional hit rating number, only changes the percentage. It is a 1-to-1 distribution, so one expertise is good for one spell hit. It allows you to reforge to expertise even if a piece of gear has hit on it.

So this is true?

No, its not true.

Spells update dynamically as debuffs on the target change.

Buffs on you are applied to spells at cast time and do not re-calc until refresh.

This is very easy to test. Put a Dot on a training dummy, then cast dark soul. The dot will not tick faster.

I have a question about what weapon would be best for me to use.

I am a Demon lock And sometimes I go in to the Dark Apotheosis mode just to met the tank up when needed.

But I also noticed that my wand is going off (I hear the wand sound) in this mode or in demon mode and I am not sure if it slows down my casting speed.

Now I wonder if it is better for me to use a wand or to use a dagger/sword to get some extra (white) melee damage done?

And if that is happening, do I need expertise at 7,5% or not to get my parry chance to 0 on a boss?

I was wondering if the buff you get from the Spirit Realm on Gara'jal the Spritbinder will 'supercharge' our DoTs. My guild is doing this fight a little different than most(I assume) as we have one team go into the spirit realm and burn down all of the adds for 15-20 seconds then move back out. Being Affliction, I am always one of those people unless I get Voodoo Doll at the start. Essentially, if I were to soul burn+ soul swap the boss right after coming out of the spirit world, would those dots have the increased damage even if I go back into the spirit world?

Additionally, Windsong was fixed for Affliction on Tuesday.

-Verified via logs here: World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

What addon are you guys using for your dot timers?I've always been using DoTimer but now it gives me annoying errors and I want to use something else.

I hope this is the right thread for that kind of question..

Hello, just a quick question about simulationcraft:

actions+=/shadowburn,if=ember_react

actions+=/chaos_bolt,if=ember_react&(.......)

What does the ember_react condition mean?

1) I had the same question and decided to test this last night on the target dummy with Skada. I would cast one DOT and let it last until it exprired then recorded it's damage. Did this about 20 times to get a rough average damage number. I then did it again but cast Haunt after the DOT cast, also 20 times. And the same with haunt first. I found that the Haunt damage bonus applies to the DOTs regardless when the DOT is cast, however, you can get DOT ticks without the bonus. So in conclusion, the haunt damage bonus applies to all damage when haunt is applied, but you still want the bonus applied to all ticks, therefore using SB:SS is ideal so you get the most damage ticks under the buff before it expires.

2) Yes since cancelling a channel right before a tick can still be a DPS loss. Granted, it's not much of a problem since the level 90 spell gets rid of the problem is DOT clipping, so in most cases you can wait until a channel is finished before reapplying.

3) In my experience, it depends on the fights. Since I have a trinket with a chance to increase SP significantly, I save my soul shards for when it procs to cast haunt, DS:M, and SS:SB my DOTs to gain the SP/haste increase to do a ton of damage.

4) Not sure, and this is something that can be calculated with DPET. Calculate MG with a 50% increased duration to get the DPET and then the DEPT for FF.

5) The DPET for DOTs take in to account the full duration of the spell. If you constantly refresh a DOT slightly under the 50% mark, you're still not getting DPS from the last half. I still let DOTs run their full duration so I can get more MG spam in, and refresh early when I get a short term buff or if I know I'll need to move and can't refresh later.

DOTs when cast will take your haste/crit/mastery/sp values at the time they are cast. So if your buff runs out during the DOT duration and you recast, the new cast will change the damage modifiers to what you currently have. So you want to let the DOT run it's full duration before reapplying if your buffs ran out.

Yes, it does grant spell hit, although the paper doll won't show additional hit rating number, only changes the percentage. It is a 1-to-1 distribution, so one expertise is good for one spell hit. It allows you to reforge to expertise even if a piece of gear has hit on it.

Aha you have answered 95% of my questions with this post. Thank you.

Now for the final question, does fel flame reset the haste/crit/mastery/sp values on your dot when you cast it? Or does it extend it without changing the haste/crit/mastery/sp values on your dots?

If it does not change the haste/crit/mastery/sp values on your dots does it ever make sense to hit this in your rotation with MG? So for example if I have BL, DS:M, and +4000 int from on use trinket should I use fel flame to refresh the duration of UA and Corruption?

Or am I better off just letting them expire before refreshing?

Also do you refresh with SB&SS or manually cast UA and corruption?

Hi all , i would like to ask why do ppl reforge mastery into haste? like if our stat priority is Intellect > Mastery > Haste > Spell Hit (15%) > Crit - is there any haste cap we should have, i reforged all to mastery, and got 6% haste, and started to notice that my haunt cast was way too slow, as all the other casts.

As for Hit cap , is it have to be really 15%? all the locks i see on armory and raid have 14%. ty

Hi all , i would like to ask why do ppl reforge mastery into haste? like if our stat priority is Intellect > Mastery > Haste > Spell Hit (15%) > Crit - is there any haste cap we should have, i reforged all to mastery, and got 6% haste, and started to notice that my haunt cast was way too slow, as all the other casts.

As for Hit cap , is it have to be really 15%? all the locks i see on armory and raid have 14%. ty

The reason some people are reforging to haste on their gear is because at 10% haste you can gain an extra tick of corruption and unstable affliction under the influence of time warp/bloodlust/heroism/Dark Soul: Misery. Method's lock Sparkuggz actually even said in a guide that he put out that the affliction stat priority looks like this.

Int>haste (10%)>mastery>haste>hit>crit

As for the hit question. I have seen the higher end locks as far down as 8% hit; little too much left to rng with that low of hit for my taste. I like to stay closer to the hit cap than not. I am staying around ~12-13%. My raid leader has not been posting our logs or else I would show you the difference, but I did significantly higher dps when my hit was at 12% and was able to focus on mastery after my haste was at 10% than when I had it at 15% and less dps stats.

I'm sorry, I sought "Warlock DOT Haste Spreadsheet 5.0.5" but hadn`t a clear answer.

Tell me plz If Demo lock have Spell haste soft cap before maximize Mastery? How many rating is?

PS Sorry for bad English

I had a similar question regarding soul shard management. I know we use 2 at the start of fights for SB:SS and Haunt, after that I have been saving my last two shards for another SB:SS and Haunt with trinket use above 20%. I only refresh Haunt when I get a nightfall proc, and if nightfall procs twice in a row I use the second for SB:SS. Below 20% I only refresh with SB:SS and keep haunt up 100% of the time. Obviously execute phase soul shard management is basically non-existent because of the excess in shards. I was just wondering on what was ideal above 20%.

If there's an add in a fight I will SB:SS and haunt the add, assuming it has enough HP to warrant it, even if I go to 0 shards knowing I can gain full shards back when the add dies.

I had a similar question regarding soul shard management. I know we use 2 at the start of fights for SB:SS and Haunt, after that I have been saving my last two shards for another SB:SS and Haunt with trinket use above 20%. I only refresh Haunt when I get a nightfall proc, and if nightfall procs twice in a row I use the second for SB:SS. Below 20% I only refresh with SB:SS and keep haunt up 100% of the time. Obviously execute phase soul shard management is basically non-existent because of the excess in shards. I was just wondering on what was ideal above 20%.

If there's an add in a fight I will SB:SS and haunt the add, assuming it has enough HP to warrant it, even if I go to 0 shards knowing I can gain full shards back when the add dies.

A couple things on Soul Shard and Haunt management.

1) Watch your buffs as they make your DoTs powerful (use an addon like WeakAuras).

2) Use your shards on Haunt, don't waste them to refresh your DoTs unless they are being significantly buffed.

3) Don't waste your shards by not using them. Never stay at 4 and try to burn through them when you know you are going to get them back (by killing an add).

The only time you want to refresh your DoTs using SS:Soul Swap is when you are heavily buffed, particularly haste buffed like Dark Soul or Bloodlust. Haunt hits hard and provides a 25% DoT damage buff, so use your shards for that. Using a shard to refresh your DoTs, unless they have been heavily buffed, is a waste.

Once I am hasted, I refresh all my DoTs by SS:Soul Swap, apply Haunt and don't let it drop off. But, I still keep 1 shard ready for when the haste buff is about to wear off, so I can reapply all my hasted DoTs right before the buff expires. They will spend their entire duration under the haste buff, even after it has worn off.

Another key to managing your shards is knowing the fight so you can anticipate when you need them and how quickly your can regenerate them. If it's a fight with a lot of adds that you can DS on as they die, you want to burn through all your shards quickly before the mob dies, even if that means chain casting Haunt (Haunt does a lot of damage on its own). Just be sure to DS the mob as it dies so you can get back to 4 shards.

If it's a fight with no adds, like Feng or Spirit Kings, you'll need to be more conservative. I try to keep 1 SS in my pocket and use the rest for Haunt.

Was this a decision by the website or simply because no one wanted to dedicate the time it take to put one together? Those threads were the main reason I visited this website.

The latter. The guides are user-generated. However, it's not particularly hard to parse the simcraft action list and setup.

Was this a decision by the website or simply because no one wanted to dedicate the time it take to put one together? Those threads were the main reason I visited this website.

This post may get deleted, since it's a link to another website, but here's a good guide for all 3 specs; Affliction Warlock Guide

Last I checked the info was fairly up to date and accurate. It's definitely good enough to get you started.

In regards to stat weights, your best bet is to sim your own character using SimulationCraft.org. It's pretty easy and gives you a lot of information. Generally though, make sure you get your unbuffed Haste to at least 10%, then Mastery and Haste are generally neck and neck with Crit way behind.

Hi first time posting something on this forum. I'm a bit lost as to how to aoe properly as an affliction lock. My current ilevel is 461 but i seem to be blown out of the water when it comes to aoe dps. When it's 2 targets i do just fine but anything above 2 my dps seems to be 10-20k below other classes. What spells should be i using on 3 targets or more?

Hi first time posting something on this forum. I'm a bit lost as to how to aoe properly as an affliction lock. My current ilevel is 461 but i seem to be blown out of the water when it comes to aoe dps. When it's 2 targets i do just fine but anything above 2 my dps seems to be 10-20k below other classes. What spells should be i using on 3 targets or more?

Generally, on 4 targets or more, I SS:Soul Swap to apply all my dots on one target, then I SS:SoC the same target. You can than use a regular SoC on the same target (SoC doesn't replace SS:SoC). Then tab target mobs and keep applying SoC. Once the SS:SoC bursts on the original target, you'll see your other SoCs start cascading and do a lot of DPS. Plus the SS:SoC gives Corruption to everyone in range.

Once Corruption is about to expire on all the mobs, reapply SS:SoC.

As long as the mobs are up long enough, you should see good numbers doing this.