Narcosleepy

Hunter Simple Question / Simple Answers

155 posts in this topic

are there any skills that snapshot?

That's also my question. I know Stampede applies the stats dynamically.

I'm curious about Dire Beast, Serpent Sting and Murder of Crows. Wait for the trinkets or just shoot it right away?

Especially AMoC is important, because it's quite expensive and for the cost I want to get the most out of it.

Dynamic updates: Murder of Crows, Barrage, Dire Beast, Stampede, Pet Attacks/Abilities

On Hit/Application Snapshots: Serpent Sting, Glaive Toss, Cobra Shot, Explosive Shot, Lynx Rush, etc.

Most shots are instant (e.g., Serpent Sting, Arcane, etc.) so the subtle difference between on use and on hit/application is misleading. When Cobra Shot hits, for instance, Serpent Sting is then refreshed at your current agility stat level. Glaive Toss is also on hit, and this shot has to travel. In general, the differences here are not worth saving a glaive toss or something like that for, but you asked.

Survival is the spec that can really benefit from timing and understanding the snapshotting process. With Renataki's and Bad Juju, it's best to refresh serpent sting, via Cobra Shot or a new Serpent Sting, right as the overlap is ending and then use Fervor to regen focus for a bit. This is especially true on multi-target fights where Serpent Spring can be hitting for 3-6x it's normal damage if you can refresh properly.

I always wondered why hunters use two killshots in a row to trigger the 10 second cooldown (even the simcraft profile does that) when you can just wait 6 seconds and save 4 seconds of cooldown.

Is there a reasoning behind it like focus management <20% that I overlook?

Firing 2 KS in a row lets you have 2 KS per 11 seconds, waiting 6 seconds lets you get 2 KS per 12 seconds - provided you don't accidentally use KS before the 6 seconds is up, in which case you just added 10 seconds on the CD instead of getting it refreshed for another 6 second wait.

Firing 2 KS in a row lets you have 2 KS per 11 seconds, waiting 6 seconds lets you get 2 KS per 12 seconds - provided you don't accidentally use KS before the 6 seconds is up, in which case you just added 10 seconds on the CD instead of getting it refreshed for another 6 second wait.

The math behind it indicate a clear advantage. But every so often my KS-Reset takes about 1-2secs. Sometimes I can even weave a KC in.

What are the factors for the reset? Is it latency (which is ~30ms within my raid)? Or client-side performance issues (despite latency)?

As the CD resets if the target doesn't die, travel time cause a delay. If you are 30-40y away, you can weave a shot between 2 KS.

The math behind it indicate a clear advantage. But every so often my KS-Reset takes about 1-2secs. Sometimes I can even weave a KC in.

What are the factors for the reset? Is it latency (which is ~30ms within my raid)? Or client-side performance issues (despite latency)?

It does not reset until the Kill Shot hits, because it only resets if the target is still alive after the hit. Thus, the delay is the travel time of the Kill Shot to the target.

I watched it closely yesterday (Qon and Twin Consorts) and you are right (of course you are).

BUT, if I have to stay at about max range, like Qon, when a debuff is still in the raid it would suggest to wait the 6secs for the reset-CD to come off.

Paraphrased: if I'm able to squeeze in an extra shot between to KS, it would be better to wait for the CD.

I'm quite sure it's not really practical but does anyone do this?

I've seen this info somewhere but can't find it.

As SV, should I prioritize Mastery/Crit instead of regular Crit/haste for aoe heavy fights? Such as Immerseus Heroic or Fallen Protectors?

Can any of you tell me if they have successfully used SV as a dps spec for spoils. My dps is rather low and my thought is that it is because nothing with the exception of the large crates lasts long enough to proc lock and load. I half the time dont even bother with black arrows because of this. I toss out frost traps when i remember but it is on the other end of my action bar not where all my cooldowns are located.

I am fairly new to wow and dont know either other spec and would rather use SV because my cd management skills arent very strong. Any hints tips suggestions would be appreciated.

I am already using blink strike and glave toss.

I cannot find this anywhere, but what would be the best in slot Trinkets in 5.4 for Challenge Mode?

Is Relic of Xuen still ultimate at 463 or one (or more) of the new trinkets outdps that one?

Currently I have that + Assurance of Consequence, but thinking about the cleave trinket (Sigil of Rampage) as a vital one.

Someone recently informed me that Survival hunters should go for the 12,93% haste cap before maxing crit. But I've never read anything like that, besides a small comment that hitting haste caps are quite good on the Surv article here. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

I cannot find this anywhere, but what would be the best in slot Trinkets in 5.4 for Challenge Mode?

Is Relic of Xuen still ultimate at 463 or one (or more) of the new trinkets outdps that one?

Currently I have that + Assurance of Consequence, but thinking about the cleave trinket (Sigil of Rampage) as a vital one.

Relic of Xuen is most definitely BIS for CM.  I've avoided using any of the T16 trinkets because of their long ICDs, preferring to use Searing Words or Renataki's Soul Charm.

I got a new belt today, swapping belts switched some Mastery for Haste, so I simed reforging the haste to mastery on my chestpiece, and got a 176 dps increase.  Current Haste is 4736 or 11.14%.

What I'm seeing on my DPS sims, As SV femaledwarf is valuing Crit>Mastery>Haste when I have over 4000 Haste (Currently 4080, 9.6%)  Is anyone else seeing this or is it just me?  

Someone recently informed me that Survival hunters should go for the 12,93% haste cap before maxing crit. But I've never read anything like that, besides a small comment that hitting haste caps are quite good on the Surv article here. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

I can't confirm that it's correct 100% but it seems about right. The 12.93% haste might be a bit high but I don't seem to see much of a difference in sims.

Haste or Critical Strike?

I am currently a SV Hunter, I know that Haste reduces the CD of my CS as well as increases my focus regeneration. But recently got a warforged belt (http://www.wowhead.com/item=105779) to replace my Gorge Stalker Belt, I have upgraded them both twice but not sure if the small agility decrease is worth the haste gain. With the warforged belt, I am sitting on 25% haste.

Custom lag tolerance for australian who plays on 150-170ms in raids with lowerping should i have it on and set to 0ms on and set to 160 or 170ms or have it unticked which reverts it to 400ms ?

Leatrix latency tool have read some people say its worth using others say it does nothing from what i have read wow enabled it but windows side its disabled leatrix enables it is it beneficial and should i keep it on ?

Heya, wanted to know if its worth applying re-applying Serpent Stings (Single handedly) after 1 multishot around the opening fight of (The Fallen Protectors) or any other fights that has more than 1 target (Which does not include adds) 

Quick question, what is the internal CD of the cleave trinket Sigil of Rampage?

I've noticed that the DoT damage from serpent sting and black arrow can proc a cleave, so I was wondering if the situation existed where if you had a swarm of adds all dotted up, that you could get multiple cleave procs and have an aoe-fest.

I tried to search through the forums here and didn't find this,  so hopefully I'm putting it in the right place.   On Femaledwarf the stat breakdown shows as SV, my 4269 mastery rating has my buff to magic damage at 20.12%.  With a base mastery increasing magic damage by 8%,  that looks like I'm getting 1.7% additional magic damage from every 600 mastery rating (or 352.2 mastery rating gives me 1%).   Similarly, if I spec BM my 4269 rating shows a 40.23 increase to pet damage, which with a base of 16% looks like I'm gaining 3.4% for every 600 mastery rating.   And MM has the same numbers as BM, but for wild quiver.   However, on the FAQ it shows 600 mastery rating gives a 2% increase to pet damage for BM and wild quiver for MM, and a 1% increase to magic damage for SV.   

What am I missing/not understanding?

Delirium, the mastery % shown on the site includes the base mastery that every character starts with, which is 8 mastery (which then gets modified by the same multiplier as the 600 to 1 conversion you get from mastery rating).

This is not so much an hunter question as a general question about how critical hits and other secondary stats mix together.

For my SV hunter, mastery increases magic damage, whereas crit increases the chance to crit. Critical hits deal +100% damage. Let's say the mastery bonus gives +20% magic damage.

On a critical hit of magic damage, then, do we get 100%+20%100%=220% damage, or does the crit double the damage AFTER the mastery bonus is applied, i.e. does it double the 100%+20% to give a total damage of 240%?

(Note that applying the crit bonus after mastery is the same as applying the +20% mastery bonus to the crit'ed damage of 200%, of course).

240%. Your above formula should be (100%*1.2)*2=240%

Edited by Nevernite

MM Hunter around 640 ilvl (wep included) - Power Shot, Glaive difference in singel target DPS is minimal - is this correct?

Something that took me while to figure out and might be of help to other hunter weakaura users:

Why isn't Kill Shot weak aura working for MM?

Answer: the aura you get as MM Enhanced Kill Shot (spell ID 157707) actually replaces the normal Kill Shot with another identically named shot, but with ID 157708.

Use 157708 and it will work!

Edited by Harrumph