Hamlet

[Balance] Mists of Pandaria 5.4, Guide and Discussion

854 posts in this topic

On dummy tests, I'm getting about a 40k drop on DPS using FoN over Incarnation. Why is this the preferred talent?

On dummy tests, I'm getting about a 40k drop on DPS using FoN over Incarnation. Why is this the preferred talent?

How many tests have you conducted and how long did they last? Did you have all of the buffs that you would have in a raid?

My question wasn't as if AMR was gospel, I just wanted to know if anyone knew why it was so strange.

It might be because Simcraft doesn't model Dream of Cenarius correctly.

The OP had been in good shape, but I went through it so I could finally put the 5.4 tag on it. I also attached the last version of the sheet from the WC thread, which I think had everything ready. Please post anything that still needs updating in either the guide or the sheet.

There were few other changes other than cleaning up talent/glyph upgrades, adding trinkets, stuff like that. Stat priority didn't change appreciably. I added a few notes relevant to current high haste/crit gearing, like always using SS immediately, and the alternate opener. Something still to do is to look into the details of multi-DoT behavior more.

Thok talent/spell choices.

we tend to extend the phases as much as we can, this means that his interrupting roar is casting faster than i can time nukes inbetween for a while.

I am wondering what would be best dps,

HoTW + FoN - when the Roars start happening too fast (external + warlock symb already used) - spam the eclipsed dot.

HoTW + FoN - when the Roars start happening too fast (external + warlock symb already used) - use HoTW and go kitty?

DoC + FoN - when the Roars start happening too fast (external + warlock symb already used) - spam the eclipsed dot buffed by DoC.

HoTW + Fon - when the Roars start happening too fast (external + warlock symb already used) - pop HoTW and rejuv blanket to increase the time melee get to dps the boss.

something else?

spamming a DoC eclipse DoT is more dmg then spamming HoTW dot, but won't HoTW preform better overall as this is mostly a single target fight (you get 1 add that dies fast every once in a while= single target) so for the rest of the fight HoTW does better.

Again. No. Don't trust AskMrRobot and always check the stat weights for your specific gear set-up in WrathCalcs.

5.3 Stat Priority

Haste (10296) > Crit > Haste > Mastery

5.4 Stat Priority

Haste (10296) > Crit > Mastery > Haste

I did this exact thing in WrathCalcs and then manually input the stat weights into AskMrRobot. It too is telling me to shift everything to mastery. This can't be right, can it? I'm essentially giving up only 6% crit in exchange for about 25% of mastery. If I'm reading WC correctly, it says my mastery weight is 4.18 while crit is 4.27. AMR only shows a dps increase of about 1,600 though.

For some reason my AMR profile with my boomy gear is telling me to regem/forge to 13k haste, even though i have the 10k hbp soft cap chosen. any reason why this is happening?

For some reason my AMR profile with my boomy gear is telling me to regem/forge to 13k haste, even though i have the 10k hbp soft cap chosen. any reason why this is happening?

Did you run it in resto spec, like how you logged out now? :P

Dear, 

I've got trouble with balance spec, bad dps. Ilvl 517

I would like use wrathcalc.xls but I don't find it in attached.

Could you help me please ? 

English is not my first language, sorry :))

The attachments seem to have been lost by the software import. We are only just finding out about it now though so we'll get right on that. We have access to old board so throughout today we'll be going back and grabbing attachments from it and moving them here as needed.

Would Crystal of Insanity and Bread of the Dead be better for Balance than flask and 300 food? I ask this because CoI and BoD gives all stats, which means you get triple hit bonus, can reforge out of it, and then get over half of the int you would have gotten before. You basically get to reforge out of 1824 hit, while getting 608 int and 608 of all DPS secondary stats.

Would Crystal of Insanity and Bread of the Dead be better for Balance than flask and 300 food? I ask this because CoI and BoD gives all stats, which means you get triple hit bonus, can reforge out of it, and then get over half of the int you would have gotten before. You basically get to reforge out of 1824 hit, while getting 608 int and 608 of all DPS secondary stats.

Considering it has a 15min cd and the flask is removed on death then it's quite unpractical for progression wipes or any wipe for that matter.

Did you run it in resto spec, like how you logged out now? :P

Sorry for the really late reply....but no, i logged out in balance spec/gear many times just to make sure. it was really weird when it happened. But recently i changed my OS to feral bc my boomy dps was horrible for some reason, but may go back and test it out soon. Im looking for new info on boomys, like openers, CD usage, stat preferences...if any of this has been updated and is in the sticky then i will def read it again. 

Maybe i'm blind, but i can't find the linkt to wrathcalc for 5.4.

Can someone post a directlink or pm me, pls.

Vany

Replying to this post from WC thread:

So it looks like we are getting to gear levels where SS wastage is causing Mastery to outperform Crit. I ran my gear in wrathcalcs with varying levels of Crit vs Mastery manually shifted between them, at two levels of SS wastage , 1 dot (~17%) and 2 dots ~(30%). For the former the crossover point was ~14900 crit which I'm above and for the higher wastage it actually crossed over at 11600 crit. 

Looking at my logs, with the level of crit I am at, I really struggle to keep single target SS wastage to below 30%. So I think the best advice for boomkins is to try and reduce the SS wastage, then "tune" wrathcalcs to that using the SS wastage parameter and then use those stat weights. For all but the best boomkins with perfectly no-lag collections, I think that means gemming and reforging mastery once above 12000 crit or so. 

I know there was a good argument from Slippykins to using lower wastage default on this thread a year ago, but that was a lot of iLvLs ago.

(Caveats: The below was for ilvl 573 gear using Incarnation and HotW, DoC changes the picture a lot, FoN doesn't really)

Crit_vs_Mastery.png

That's interesting, and definitely in line with things we talked about sometime before. And in general, it stands to reason that crit and mastery will equalize as you stack crit enough (the graph explains this pretty well).

It might become more relevant again to point out the soft benefits of Mastery: it's on for our big opening burst with potion and everything, and it's on anytime we're doing a planned burst or AoE. So it can exceed its on-paper value.

The current WC doesn't use a fixed wastage %, it has a model that will increase wastage on its own as crit/haste/targets increase. You still want to tune the overall level based on empirical data, but the benefit of crit in the sheet does account for the fact that part of each additional point is wasted.

Edited by Hamlet

hello, 

i got a quick question. I have tried to sim some friends to check the stats, but the simcraft is not showing any information regarding the weapon damage. 
For melee classes, weapon damage ( even weapon speed ) is very important so we pick up the weapon with higher damage stats. how does it go for boomkins ? if i have two weapons with similar stats but different weapon damage/speed, does it matter ?

For melee classes, weapon damage ( even weapon speed ) is very important so we pick up the weapon with higher damage stats. how does it go for boomkins ? if i have two weapons with similar stats but different weapon damage/speed, does it matter ?

Weapon damage/speed does not matter at all. Only spellpower. In general, pick the highest ilvl weapon you have because it will have the highest spellpower.

If choosing between 1H + OH and a 2H of equal ilvl and similar secondary stats, go for the 1H + OH as the OH intellect enchant will push it ahead of a 2H weapon.

A nitpicky thing I noticed in this guide(and the wowhead guide) was the GCD cap at 10296. While it's a really minor difference, I don't understand why you would recommend that people actually go for this past the 10289 DoT breakpoint if they can stay even closer to it. There is really no gain of going any higher than 10289 if you can help it.

Just because haste value plateaus significantly after 10296 doesn't mean that there is a reason to go that far. It's like .0001 sec on your wrath. 

As far as I understand it..it's not for your wrath, it's for Starsurge under SS procs, which you might be getting back to back quite often at this point. Having the GCD at it's absolute lowest means an increase in Starsurge casts over time which means in increase in dmg output.