58 posts in this topic

This is the thread for simple questions that don't fit anywhere else. If your question applies to one of the existing thread topics, please post it there instead; if you expect to generate significant additional discussion, create a new thread. If, however, you have a simple question that only requires a simple answer and don't see a better place to post it, this is your thread.

Note that all forum rules still apply. Before posting, you should still Search (http://forums.elitistjerks.com/index.php?showtopic=42818) to verify that the answer isn't already available. Asking people to make specific gear or spec decisions for you is still against the rules. Finally, keep in mind that proper capitalization, punctuation, and spelling are even more important in short posts than long ones.

I've been using Elemental Force while gearing up through heroics, and have noticed I'm not getting any procs. I then tested on a target dummy for about 10 minutes and didn't see any there, either. This has gone on for several days, spanning many heroics.

Am I missing something?

It's either not showing up in the logs or there's a legitimate bug preventing it from proccing. I recommend going to Blizzard's official forums with a log report and your testing methodology to see what's going on in case it is an actual bug. Try testing at certain distances and angles from the target dummy since some effects have been known to not work unless you're right on top of the target.

It's either not showing up in the logs or there's a legitimate bug preventing it from proccing. I recommend going to Blizzard's official forums with a log report and your testing methodology to see what's going on in case it is an actual bug. Try testing at certain distances and angles from the target dummy since some effects have been known to not work unless you're right on top of the target.

Edit: This was just a reporting error. The proc seems to function correctly.

I only have very limited experience with elemental force since (and pre) 5.1 since I bought a cheap weapon with EF on it to farm Viscidus for the pet. I noticed my combat log didn't show any procs either, however it does work for shattering Viscidus. So I'm not sure where it goes wrong, but based on how the boss reacts EF does proc.

I have a question about Execution Sentence. Which buffs increase the DPS of this spell.

Strength, Haste (more ticks?), AP (= more SP), etc?

Execution Sentence takes a snap shot of your AP/SP, crit, AW and Inquisition when you cast it. So it's smart to use ES together with procs/potions/GoAK/use items whenever possible without delaying it too much. I believe others in the ret have tested/shown that it does not get affected by haste or bloodlust.

I have a question. I have not been able to find the time to check this out or not, hoping to before tonight's raid.

Does a disc priests bubbles and a holy pally's bubbles stack, or cancel? I mean if a disc priest divine agies is stacked up to 200k and the holy pally's is stacked up to 120k does the tank have 320k absorbs?

I have a question. I have not been able to find the time to check this out or not, hoping to before tonight's raid.

Does a disc priests bubbles and a holy pally's bubbles stack, or cancel? I mean if a disc priest divine agies is stacked up to 200k and the holy pally's is stacked up to 120k does the tank have 320k absorbs?

Yes. Blizzard would have rather angry players breathing down their necks if the core features of the specs didn't stack.

When it comes to stats, I understand that ret paladins are supposed to make it their first priority to cap hit and expertise, as mentioned in the ret paladin thread here. However, I have a question about this -- what is considered expertise capped for a ret paladin? Should a ret paladin be stopping at 7.5%, or push for the full hard cap of 15%?

As a ret, or in general any DPS that is subject to parry, you should be attacking from behind as much as possible, which means that going for expertise over the dodge cap is unnecessary, as bosses cannot parry attacks from behind. So the 7.5% is all you need to shoot for.

Hello everyone,

me and another ret Paladin from my Guild are facing a pretty stupid Problem, maybe some of you already experienced the same problems and even came up with a solution.

It's a bit hard to describe, but basicly our problem seems to be some kind of lag issue, the better our gear gets - the more haste we get to be specific.

It sounds kinda stupid, but it looks something like this: Pushing the button for exorzism causes the attack in the bar to pop up and triggers the global cd but nothing happens for a while! After the gcd passed half or even three fourths the cooldown of the attack starts and deals actual damage.

Its even worse with the skills that consume holy power like TV. The GCD is almost ready when the holy power is consumed.

The entire thing is pretty annoying since it really costs dps, in tries where the "lag problem" as we call it is none or low, we deal about 20 to 40 k more dps, and the entire thing is waaaaaaaaaay worse in bloodlust.

First two things you might think is our PC's suck and our internet sucks. Both is defently not! the case, we both got pretty awesome computers and fast internet connection. We didnt face this kind of problem before, untill ret paladin became a haste class.

Do you have any experience or even solution for this situation? Some kind of network setting, maybe an addon, maybe a particular addon wich causes this to get rid of? We appreciate EVERY kind of help, since this is really affecting our gameplay.

if you want to inspect our chars because of haste values or what not, we're Anvilandy and Verithy from EU Dethecus.

Thank you very much in advance, looking forward hearing from you!

...Pushing the button for exorzism causes the attack in the bar to pop up and triggers the global cd but nothing happens for a while! After the gcd passed half or even three fourths the cooldown of the attack starts and deals actual damage.

Its even worse with the skills that consume holy power like TV. The GCD is almost ready when the holy power is consumed.

The entire thing is pretty annoying since it really costs dps, in tries where the "lag problem" as we call it is none or low, we deal about 20 to 40 k more dps, and the entire thing is waaaaaaaaaay worse in bloodlust.

As I haven't personally experienced this issue, I'm inclined to say it's not a global issue with WoW or Ret Paladin. You clearly state you do not always have this issue - at least some portion of the time this problem does not exist and your DPS does not suffer. As such, I would try to track down what is unusual when it does occur.

Does this only occur during peak times (such as early evening local-time)? This could be your ISP (de-)prioritizing packets, essentially creating network lag specifically to WoW (a tunneling service could resolve, if true).

Is it more in 25s than 10s or 5s? If so it's probably spell effects. Especially if this started to occur right after a video driver update (new is not always better). Try dialing down the graphics or even rolling to an older version of the video drivers. Even top end video cards sometimes have issues. Remember WoW is over 7 years old. How they handle graphics and how cutting edge video cards handle graphics aren't always ideally compatible.

If not the above and more or less random, try disabling various mods. If you can normally get this to occur every LFR, then turn off every single mod and run an LFR mod-naked and see if it occurs. If no issue without mods, then you can start the long process of tracking down which is the culprit. Comparing what mods you use to your friend could help narrow down the common possibilities.

I have a question about AOE situations. At what point (number of targets) does HoR and DS overtake Exo and HoW. And is this affected by SW?

So if I cast a SW and am fighting X targets, at what point does my rotation change from HoW>Exo/J>HoW>TV to HoR>HoW/Exo>HoR>DS?

It would be between 4-5 targets for HotR to pull ahead of Exorcism unglyphed and normal HoW. At 2 targets, HotR/DS overtake CS/TV.

With the possibility of Mass Exorcism, and the reduced cooldown on HoW for additional DS, you could roughly assume it would take 6 or 7 targets for the duration of Sanctified Wrath for HotR to pull ahead again.

More accurately: boss level mobs have a 7.5% chance to dodge attacks and 15% chance to parry.

Thus at 7.5% expertise, a boss level mob can no longer dodge when you are beside/behind him. This is sufficient for Ret. If you were to stand in front of the boss, you would still have a remaining 7.5% chance to be parried. This is why you want to stand behind the boss.

Even more accurately, Boss level mobs have 7.5% chance to dodge and 7.5% chance to parry. Expertise takes away dodge first, then parry, so the first 7.5% expertise leaves just the 7.5% parry, which you can avoid by being behind the boss.

While we're at it, having 7.5% Expertise and 7.5% Hit will also obtain15% Spell Hit for Boss Level mobs.

The first 7.5% of Expertise caps you for Dodge, but any expertise will give you the game percentage of Spell Hit and Parry reduction-- This is critical for Protection to ensure that their Holy Power generators are never missed, dodged, or parried.

After just religiously gemming because my stats are 2 haste > 1 str I find myself at a 490 ilvl. In simulationcraft haste has become 1.5 > 1 str, but when I switch between hit/haste pants and my tier legs the value of haste fluctuates drastically from 2 > 1 Str to 1.5 > 1 Str. What I'm asking is, in the ret guide on these forums it states haste will only become better as ilvl rises, but at this moment it looks like haste (in my gear at least) will lose out to str sooner than later. I also simmed a pally with a 502 ilvl from my server and his simulationcraft value of haste was lower than mine. at what point do we gem str instead of haste; Is it when point of gemming str instead of haste. Has this happened to anyone else? Is the statement about haste only need to be defined as if 2 haste>1str then gem haste and if 2 haste < 1 Str gem strength that cut and dry?

As I haven't personally experienced this issue, I'm inclined to say it's not a global issue with WoW or Ret Paladin. You clearly state you do not always have this issue - at least some portion of the time this problem does not exist and your DPS does not suffer. As such, I would try to track down what is unusual when it does occur.

Does this only occur during peak times (such as early evening local-time)? This could be your ISP (de-)prioritizing packets, essentially creating network lag specifically to WoW (a tunneling service could resolve, if true).

Is it more in 25s than 10s or 5s? If so it's probably spell effects. Especially if this started to occur right after a video driver update (new is not always better). Try dialing down the graphics or even rolling to an older version of the video drivers. Even top end video cards sometimes have issues. Remember WoW is over 7 years old. How they handle graphics and how cutting edge video cards handle graphics aren't always ideally compatible.

If not the above and more or less random, try disabling various mods. If you can normally get this to occur every LFR, then turn off every single mod and run an LFR mod-naked and see if it occurs. If no issue without mods, then you can start the long process of tracking down which is the culprit. Comparing what mods you use to your friend could help narrow down the common possibilities.

First of all, thanks a lot for the complexe answer...

Let me go through it one step at a time.

I cannot tell when exactly it happens, because there simply is no pattern. It can happen all the time in our raiding time from 1830 to 2330.

Also, the 2 people are suffering from that, are home in seperate parts of europe. We got switzerland and Germany.

Where does it happen? Sorry for not mentioning that in my original post, but it only!!! happens in 25 ppl raid - so mainraid or lfr. But i have never faced the issue with my restoration shaman on lfr... this just keeps me thinking its the paladins fault in particular.

About the video driver - I have this problem now for the time of like 3 or 4 nVidia software updates wich I all got immediatly on release day... having a new one did not influence the issue in any way either better or worse.

And about the addons... I will try out what you said, but I do not think, that this is the reason. I only use deadly boss modes, bartender, weakauras and tidyplates when I'm raiding by a total of 64 gigabyte of RAM. All four are really mainstream addons and they get updated very frequently so I do really think, there is nothing wrong with them - but i will check what you said anyways.

---

So I guess what I am trying to say is, even though it is highly appreciated, your answer does not seem to solve my problem at all...

Maybe it is interesting, that in the few bosses that I have to tank (stone guards hc, unsok hc, shekzer hc and lei shi hc) the issue does not occur.

No matter what I do, all points to the retribution spec really... and i am getting pretty desperate.

It just sucks, because as soon as one of us has this proglem, there are like 15 - 30 k dps between two ret paladins with equal gear who usally are appart the ammount of 1 or 2 more TV crits :S

I cannot tell when exactly it happens, because there simply is no pattern.

Where does it happen? Sorry for not mentioning that in my original post, but it only!!! happens in 25 ppl raid - so mainraid or lfr. But i have never faced the issue with my restoration shaman on lfr... this just keeps me thinking its the paladins fault in particular.

Based on your response, I'm inclined to a diagnosis of visual effects slowdown. As a Ret you are in melee range, staring at the boss with a billion spell effects hitting it. 25man/LFR becomes incredibly worse as the spell effects are more numerous. As a Resto shaman you don't have your nose in the boss's hindquarters with visuals taking up 3/4 of your screen with every single particle/detail being rendered. It might not seem like much, but it's an extremely common cause of game lag.

I recommend turning all video settings to the lowest possible, run an LFR and see if it's any better.

Based on your response, I'm inclined to a diagnosis of visual effects slowdown. As a Ret you are in melee range, staring at the boss with a billion spell effects hitting it. 25man/LFR becomes incredibly worse as the spell effects are more numerous. As a Resto shaman you don't have your nose in the boss's hindquarters with visuals taking up 3/4 of your screen with every single particle/detail being rendered. It might not seem like much, but it's an extremely common cause of game lag.

I recommend turning all video settings to the lowest possible, run an LFR and see if it's any better.

Ok I'll try out what you say but like I mentioned already, I spend lots of money into my computer to keep it as modern as it gets, and so many people with like average PC's and 30 FPS in 25 man encounter do not have those lag issues.

But i will try, since something has to cause the entire issue at all... thanks for your respond again.

edit: well I just thought of something else-> you said, its because in melee range, all these effects and stuff happen. How come, its only when I'm dpsing, and not when tanking? and it also happens in fights, where there is not really much of aoe effecting from the boss...

but like I said, I will still try what you suggested!