Mendenbarr

Frost DPS 5.4 - Howling Blargh

87 posts in this topic

Greetings ! This is my first post in this Forum and i hope u all understand me, cause me English is not the best.

I Play DW Frost and i read the Mastersimple and Mastercomplicated(same like Mastersimple but with SR, right?) Rotation on Mendenbarrs Blog. Now i have some Questions:

1.) How much mastery should i have that Mastersimple is better then Mastercomlicated?

2.) How much Haste should i have for DW Frost in both Rotations? Cause i made i gear full with Mastery and Crit and AskMrRobot says i Need Haste, he reforge the most into haste (19% haste and only 14,25% Crit).

3.) Is it better to take full Mastery Gear or T16 4 Piece Boni? I actually Play with Legplates of Willful Doom, Breastplate of Shamanic Mirrors and Zoids Molten Guantlets instead of T16 Pieces.

Edited by Asquarath

There are two big differences between the rotations (mastersimple removes Obliterate and Soul Reaper completely) and a few smaller differences (abilities that restore resources like ERW and PL, and abilities that use unholy runes like PS and DnD are moved the the end of the priority).

For both rotations you want as little haste as possible.  Choose gear without haste if you can, and reforge out of any haste you can't avoid.  While Ask Mr. Robot is a fantastic tool, its biggest weakness is its default stat weights.  Sometimes they are very wrong, as in this case.*  But even when they're right, they're tuned for some generalized character other than your own.  If you use simulationcraft to input your own weights, the Mr Robot tool becomes even better.

* Some time in late T15, the DK community discovered an oversight in our theorycrafting that was causing the sim to overvalue haste for all specs.  So if Mr. Robot is telling you to choose haste gear as DW Frost, it's not for no good reason.  It's just using old information, and we have better data now.

Greetings everyone,

One quick question; Its been a couple of months since I ran a SIMC profile so I ran one today with the newest update and much to my surprise it weighs Haste very high.

STR       5.59

Crit         3.06

HASTE   8.54

MAST     3.23

I am running DW and doing Mastersimple. My gear hasnt changed much in two months, I added a normal ring over a flex one is about it. (although I have the mastery sword equipped instead of my normal Skullcleaver both are same iLVL) Has something changed recently?

Thx for the Answer, but still missing 2 Answers. How much Mastery i Need for Mastersimple > Mastercomplicated and is T16 4 Set-Boni better then pure Mastery/crit Items?

This article talks about "realistic sims" and I would like to know if SimulationCraft (I'm using 547-2) is among them. The reason is that I have been given a somewhat crazy stat weight. Sadly I can't upload the results from SimCraft, since they are above the limit, even packed.

Character: Angelhearth, EU-Runetotem

This problem started when I wanted to check the difference between Pauldrons of Cyclopean Dead, 528+0 and Darkfallen Shoulderplates, 559+8.

I noticed, both by practicing on a dummy and running SimCraft, that the 4-set bonus far outweighed the 567 Darkfallen Shoulderplates (no, iLvl is NOT everything). But when I equiped them and ran the simulaion,  I got this surprise:

MH DPS 7.32

OH DPS 3.65

Hit 5.79

Exp 5.63

Str 5.51

HASTE 3.05

Mastery 2.89

Crit 2.35

AP 1.99

If this is correct and I follow Ask Mr. Robot's suggestion my haste would be 26.26%, up 19.94%, mastery 56.55%, down 18.66%, crit 17.26%, down 6.16%. I ran this all the way up to 250,000 iterations.

I have been told that you can't trust SimCraft when it comes to DK's, but trying to get an answer by submitting a "bug-report" on their official site, I'm just told that what I talk about is without interst. I have tried to post this on the forum, but it gets moved to the "big bag of garbage" where you never get any answers anyway, but since this article talks about simulations, I figure, me asking about it should be valid.

I noticed, both by practicing on a dummy and running SimCraft, that the 4-set bonus far outweighed the 567 Darkfallen Shoulderplates (no, iLvl is NOT everything). But when I equiped them and ran the simulaion,  I got this surprise:

MH DPS 7.32

OH DPS 3.65

Hit 5.79

Exp 5.63

Str 5.51

HASTE 3.05

Mastery 2.89

Crit 2.35

AP 1.99

First, discard the dummy results completely. In no way does it emulate realistic raid conditions. No movement and no AMS soaking would artificially inflate Haste's value by a lot.

I assume that your Simcraft profile matches your gear and glyphs from the armoury. I note one important fact on your armoury that is contributing to your high Haste value: You are not using Plague Leech. This talent devalues Haste by quite a bit, and is essential because it is a much higher DPS gain than Unholy Blight. I would advise switching to it immediately.

Moving on, you want to ensure that your sim utilises the following:

-AMS soaking (it usually does, but double check)

-Accounting for higher AMS uptime due to the Evil Eye of Galakras trinket, and the Regenerative Magic glyph

-Plague Leech, assuming you take it (and you really should)

-Movement (Patchwerk fights aren't going to give you realistic stat weights)

Angelhearth likes this

I know the dummy is far from a good way to test your setup, I just did a quick one to see what happend with and without the 4-set bonus.

I will add Plague Leech right away. As to what the sim utilises, I would expect SimCraft to do so, but will check the rotation it uses and the weights it puts on the different abilities/attacks.

According to my sims of my own character and default bis 2H Frost profile, using Frost Strike when runic power capped (or rather >76) over Obliterate when any runes are capped is a dps increase. Frost strike capped > Obliterate rune capped (KM down), at least according to my results.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Since the graphs showing the trinket rankings are down, can someone give me some advice? I've got 3 trinkets: reg Thok's 0/4, reg Skeer's 0/4, and Flex Evil Eye 4/4. I'm a frost dk and I was wondering what combo would be best for me. Here's a link to my armory to help:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Conser/advanced

Upgrade your Thok's Tail Tip to 4/4 pronto. It is the strongest trinket in the tier available to any DPS Death Knight spec, and going from 553 to 569 ilvl with your trinket is well worth it. After that, you're probably fine with your current 4/4 CDR trinket.

Upgrade your Thok's Tail Tip to 4/4 pronto. It is the strongest trinket in the tier available to any DPS Death Knight spec, and going from 553 to 569 ilvl with your trinket is well worth it. After that, you're probably fine with your current 4/4 CDR trinket.

Okay. I'll be upgrading it tomorrow since I'm valor capped for the week. That's something they need to look into though: raising the valor cap.