Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrathblood

[Prot] 5.3 - Same Man I was Before

83 posts in this topic

Keep in mind, it could not be a true 30% reduction but rather the spell itself was made stronger an had to be scaled back for Prot.

That said, I agree with Incalcando in that absorbs are always preferred over HoTs unless you have a continual damage source that cannot be mitigated by ShoR (ie Megara Flame head).

There's quite a bit of discussion going on right now over EF vs SS on the WoW tanking forums, mixed in with other stuff. In a nutshell, the current guess is that, assuming 0% OH and 5 Bastion stacks, EF will currently (as in, on the current PTR version) put out a bit over 3x as much healing as SS will do in absorbs. At ~250k vengeance, we're looking at ~160k EF ticks every 2 (or so, depending on your haste) seconds. So I think its a little early to be writing off EF.

With our 4 piece bonus, as long as you can put out at least 3 (and really, ideally 5) Bastion stacks every 30 seconds (well, perhaps 18-20, depending on haste) you won't even give up any ShoR uptime and that's what really makes it work.

Well still, I try to keep myself at as close to 100% HP as possible, in that scenario, no matter what most of EF's heals would go to overhealing, even if it was more powerful than SS absorbs. Keep in mind that at the moment, (that is without hard facts just based on a test I did once during megaera HC progress) pretty sure that EF already outheals SS with moderate vengeance.

But anyway as I was saying, I try to keep myself as close to 100% HP as possible and in that scenario an absorb, even if 3x smaller than the heal will be better than overhealing. The 4pc indeed just might make it appealing, we'll see.

Possible boss exception off the top of my head in Siege of Orgrimmar:

Malkorok (not sure if I spelled correctly). For those who don't know, boss has 2 phases, for the entire phase 1 any healing you receive basically becomes an absorb shield (Imagine tortos, but there is no button to press, it is passive for the entire phase 1). If your shield drops off you start losing HP, but it cannot be healed up until you reach P2. Anyway, if EF is indeed so much more powerful healing wise, then for that encounter and as long as there are no survival issues in P2, this is gonna be a fight where it shines, since it's really tough to overheal anything.

Something that I got a chance to look at on MMO-C: The 4p T16 boost also works when using WoG offensively via Harsh Words. Considering WoG is off the GCD, this could be quite a damage boost if they leave it in.

I expect they'll make it only work when used as a heal since it does have damage potential, but we'll see how things go.

Yeah, that's one of those things that popped up in that early testing that I've kept assuming they're going to fix eventually in a PTR patch. But with 8/27 (at the moment, anyway) still apparently on track they're kinda running out of time if that's they're intention. Plus, with at least some Flex encounters available week 1 and LFR available week 2 (I believe) there will be a few lucky souls getting their 4P within the first few weeks. It will certainly make DP more attractive than at present.

Similarly, I keep expecting them to make that +40% EF buff not apply to Prot anymore. Absorbs are certainly better than HoTs, but the sheer size of the potential healing throughput from self-EFing is startling.

It's not just the size of the EF ticks, but also the frequency of them that has me wondering if or when they'll be tweaking it for us. Using SoI + spell haste buff, it takes about 18215 haste rating (about 42.8% haste) to get 17 ticks. The next tick comes in at ~21894, which is a stone's throw away from the 50% haste mark at 21250.

With haste on two tier pieces plus the ilvl bump, I expect we'll definitely be getting 50% haste with the 4p. We'll just have to see how it goes I guess, or perhaps see if SimC can give us some values for EF vs SS.

There's a thread on maintankadin about the SS nerf, where Slootbag started bringing up some interesting points for EF:

Maintankadin • View topic - [5.4 PTR] SS Nerf

Absorbs are stronger than Heals, but not just because Heals can overheal. Absorbs cause the blanket healing from the raid, or even your own SoI procs, to overheal instead. What's more useful to see is if EF can prevent you dying to chains as much as SS can.

Say a boss attacks every 1.5 seconds. For SS to reduce the effect of a string of 3 attacks, it must tick either before the first attack, or between the first and third attack. If SS ticks are between 3 and 4.5 seconds, it will reliably tick every 3rd attack.

For EF to reduce the effect of a string of 3 attacks, any ticks before the first attack hold no merit. It must tick between the first and third attack. From what I understood, however, if SS ticks are between 3 and 4.5 seconds, EF ticks will be between 1.5 and 2.25 seconds, so EF will reliably tick every 2nd attack, and thus in between the first and third attack.

SS really comes out ahead if it can save us from going from 100% to 0%. I doubt we'll really see situations where we can practically rely upon SS.

Naturally, this relies on the 4 piece bonus (and assuming it works with EF, which seems likely), as otherwise EF will eat into our SotR uptime.