Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MysticalOS

Closed beta has begun

136 posts in this topic

Creatures with Silence seem very undercosted. You can remove Taunt without slowing down your attack tempo. In a pinch you can use it on your own creatures as well to remove Freeze effects. That 2 mana Owl is a total wrecking ball as a late game draw.

I signed up for a beta, as I'm very curious to see how close this plays to wow-tcg. Blizzard certainly decided to reuse all the art for the cards here.

Creatures with Silence seem very undercosted. You can remove Taunt without slowing down your attack tempo. In a pinch you can use it on your own creatures as well to remove Freeze effects. That 2 mana Owl is a total wrecking ball as a late game draw.

Yeah, I was going to mention that Silences are a much more efficient answer to Taunt than the removal spells that can kill a high-toughness Taunter. Rogues also have an Unsummon, which seems decent in the midgame.

On that note: yesterday I bounced (with a Sap) a creature that opponent had Mind Controlled and it went to his hand :( . Magic could only allow a card to go to it's owner's hand due to the limitations of paper games, and that doesn't apply in Hearthstone, but I still like that rule better. It gives more interesting interactions to bounce effects.

That also works interesting with "tokens." I had a rogue cast Vanish on me (bounce all creatures to hands) and my totems and Battlecry spawned creatures went to my hand too (All with various mana costs applied to them.) It didn't put me over 10 cards, but I have to wonder what would happen if it had? When does the game force you to discard?

I also found out that if you Wild Growth when you already have 10 mana, it gives a free card draw. Fine mechanic, but not indicated anywhere. I'd had games where I just held them since I didn't know I could cycle them.

That is pretty solid. I'd started to drop wild growths from my Druid decks as they felt like dead draws late game. Effectively giving them cycling is pretty good. I notice innervate doesn't seem to give the the treatment. I saw an opponent drop two on turn 10 and got nothing in return.

This should probably be fixed: Innervate doesn't work if you cast it at 10/10 mana, but does work if you cast a spell, Innervate, and then cast another. Maybe confirm since I'm going off a memory from a few days ago.

I signed up for a beta, as I'm very curious to see how close this plays to wow-tcg. Blizzard certainly decided to reuse all the art for the cards here.

I haven't played wowtcg since the first set, but it feels very similar.

Regarding basic decks and unlocking base cards, I'd really like it if there were actually 6 basic decks for each class; once you unlocked the level 2 cards you'd have them in your deck, and so forth. That way, playing as a rogue would feel more rogue-like after you were leveled up. Either that, or make it really obvious that they should go to the deck builder to include the new cards in their deck.

Speaking as someone who is way less experienced than most of the people in this thread, this would have been quite nice. I would have happily used the suggested deck by the game for each class in that case, but instead each time I got my fancy new spells, I have either gone to Deck Collection to puzzle over how to add them, or I have just ignored the new spells and gone on to my next leveling battle.

Maybe this is the entire point, to get the new player to go look at their deck and adjust it from day 1, and if so then it succeeded with me-- and the tutorial does make it pretty clear that that was what I was to do, I was supposed to go edit my deck. However I would have probably enjoyed the leveling process for each class more if it stuck my new spells in automatically and just let me play through each class as a beginner with a basic subpar but provided deck.

I also think the game could stand to make even the very basic mechanics and rules a hair clearer to those just diving into the game for the first time. The in game tutorial is great, but limited in what it covers. Simple stuff like-- how Windfury, Divine Shield, Stealth, any number of other buffs work. I had no idea I couldn't heal over 30 until I tried. I didn't know what Enrage meant until I tried it. I know all this stuff is probably part of the pleasure of exploring the game for some but, I am that person who plays all the tutorials in any game and who leaves "new player tips" on until I know I understand everything. Even an in game dictionary which defines all the terms would be nice. Maybe this is a thing and I just haven't found it yet.

Aside from these really minor comments though, I feel as though Hearthstone is really new player friendly. As someone who is neither very experienced with, nor particularly good at card games, I felt like I enjoyed the process of jumping into Hearthstone a whole lot. The tutorial was very well done, and I felt like I was eased into new concepts without feeling like it was too boring and slow, or like it skipped too much. Now that I have learned what everything does and I'm ready to play other people a little bit more, I've hit a pretty serious wall at this point in my enjoyment of it -- but mostly that's just because I am struggling to put a deck together which either works or is enjoyable to play with. I am really enjoying watching everyone with more expertise discuss various opinions of what works and what doesn't though.

When you zoom in on a card, tooltips are displayed beside it for any special abilities that it has or references.

Just mousing over a card will pull up the tooltip that explains all abilities on the card, as well as any effects that might be applied to it.

The not healing over 30 is both unintuitive and opaque though, I agree. Especially so when armor stacks infinitely high. I understand why it works that way, but as a newer player I can imagine being frustrated by it.

Yeah, I wish "heal" and "restore" would be replaced with "gain", and not set a hard limit on minion or hero health.

Trying to remember non-obvious things I've seen that I didn't know or expect in advance:

--Where The Coin came from.

--Players/creatures not going over their starting health. Particularly true when a creature's health has been modified (is the current "max health" displayed anywhere?). I've healed things wrong a few times.

--Similarly, when a creature loses a health buff, it doesn't lose current health. So if a Warlock has a Blood Imp and a 2/2 (currently 2/3), and you Holy Nova, the 2/2 lives with 1 HP.

--What happens when your deck runs out.

--Maximum hand size.

--Spellpower only affects damage like it says, but affects things not flavored as spells (just takes getting used to), and some cases are handled ad hoc (Arcane Missiles), and some are unintuitive in other ways (Drain Life).

e: Nice, wowhead's data seems helpful for some of these: Drain Life - Card - World of Warcraft

--Free card draw for gaining mana beyond 10.

--As mentioned before: bouncing using "owner" in the opposite way from Magic.

--Stealth + Taunt causes Taunt to be ignored.

Related to the deckbuilder comments--a handy change to smooth out the introduction would be to allow you to load an editable version of the basic deck, as a custom deck, so you could modify it from there.

--Stealth + Taunt causes Taunt to be ignored.

Do you mean if your creature has stealth and taunt, the taunt doesn't function until the creature has attacked? Or that a stealthed creature can ignore a defending taunter on its first attack?

Haven't tried any of the stealth creatures yet; the ability seemed pretty bad. If it's the latter, that could be useful. Suspect you mean the former though.

Stealth is phenomenally strong in burst strategies. The creature can't be killed until it can attack which is great for Windfury/burst plans. I've had the crouching tiger burst out for 15-20 a few times with paladin and shaman plays. It basically operates as a suspended charge so you can spend two turns of mana before your opponent can kill it. (Though AE effects can still hit it)

Trying to remember non-obvious things I've seen that I didn't know or expect in advance:

--Where The Coin came from.

The coin is literally the coin that flips at the start of the game to determine who goes first. If you lose the flip you get the coin as a card.

--Players/creatures not going over their starting health. Particularly true when a creature's health has been modified (is the current "max health" displayed anywhere?). I've healed things wrong a few times.

--Similarly, when a creature loses a health buff, it doesn't lose current health. So if a Warlock has a Blood Imp and a 2/2 (currently 2/3), and you Holy Nova, the 2/2 lives with 1 HP.

Health behaves oddly in this game, especially with buffs that get stripped off. The way it was explained is that it's supposed to work the same way it does in real WoW, when you are at 1HP and Commanding Shout falls off you don't die.

--What happens when your deck runs out.

--Maximum hand size.

Max hand size is 10, I'm pretty sure any cards that would go into your hand in excess of that just get discarded instead. When your deck is empty you take 1 damage the first time you can't draw a card, 2 damage the second, etc..

edit: Having reread your post I'm not sure if you were asking questions or just pointing out things that came across as weird during your first games.

Is there a signup page? I flagged myself as interested on my Bnet account page

Randomly lottery randomly picks x amount of players from different configurations to ensure a broad test of different system configurations based on the system profile tool users run for beta opt in. All you can really do is opt in and run system spec tool and after that it's just RNG.

PSA: spells that affect X random targets require at least X targets to be on the board. I tried to use the Shaman 'damage to 2 random minions' spell to clear out a single blocker and couldn't.

I'm enjoying the gimmick behind attacking getting your own Gurubashi Berserkers hit by 1/1s and gaining 3 attack power out of it. Easily countered by executes though.

I do wish the game had more challenging AIs that helped bridge gap between person vs ai and pvp. As i see it now, AI is easy to conquer but I get flattened in pvp. There doesn't seem to be a good middle ground for me right now and I think a more variable AI difficulty will yield more learning. You don't learn much from a faceroll AI and you don't learn much from getting utterly destroyed in pvp either. Maybe that's just me though.

Any of you beta guys streaming this? A buddy of mine did earlier but now he's done and all I have is a faceless list of people I don't care about to watch.

I have no experience with Streaming, but I might have to start with this game. Anybody have any pointers on getting started with streaming (i.e. I assume Twitch.tv or whatever is the place go?)

Yeah, just download Xsplit or Open Broadcasting Software and make an account on Twitch and you'll be streaming within 20 minutes.