Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hamlet

The Man in the Arena -- Hearthstone Drafting

55 posts in this topic

Another Arena stream:

HamletEJ - Hearthstone Beta Arena 2

9-1 with Jaina. Got 320 coins and a pack (maybe we don't have to do this every time, I don't feel like tabulating all of them :P. I'm sure someone will eventually). More interesting to talk about decks and things.

People who have been doing a lot of arena: how often are you going far enough to make back your entry fee?

Infrequently. Maybe 1 in 4 or 5. I probably get 5-6 wins on most arenas I do, which nets about 100-110 normally due to split four slots between gold and dust. I generally only get 150+ on 7 or more. Sometimes if you roll three gold you will on 5-6 wins. Anything less than 5 wins and you won't get 150 even with 3 gold piles.

Kind of awkward. If your client crashes or you disconnect, it's an automatic loss. I logged back on within 30 seconds and it just showed a loss in my arena pane. :(

It depends on exactly what you mean by "make back your entry fee". In terms of pure gold, you have to win to win something like 7 games to regularly get 150, it seems. But the pack is worth 100 gold, and if dust are worth around a gold each, then that's significant too. So you nearly always get prizes worth what you put in, but it takes a lot of wins to get some prizes + another arena entry fee.

7-3 draft with Warlock:

[ATTACH]16013[/ATTACH][ATTACH]16012[/ATTACH]

And 6-3 with Shaman:

[ATTACH]16014[/ATTACH][ATTACH]16015[/ATTACH]

Good weapons feel overpowered in Arena, especially crazy things like Gorehowl. They are all card advantage, and Acidic Swamp Ooze is the only way to deal with them so they rarely get dealt with.

I don't think I've lost starting with a weapon with 3 or more durability on the draw.

Think of weapons as a form of charge, as well as board control which is key in limited matches. They enable you to protect your own allies by trading your life to keep them alive. The fact that they don't have strike costs in Hearthstone (they did in WoWTCG) enabled you to keep building your board even as you kill there for no resource cost.

Think of weapons as a form of charge, as well as board control which is key in limited matches. They enable you to protect your own allies by trading your life to keep them alive. The fact that they don't have strike costs in Hearthstone (they did in WoWTCG) enabled you to keep building your board even as you kill there for no resource cost.

No I understand what they do - I actually come from Upper Deck and Cryptozoic so I've played a few games of the TCG. :D

Without the strike cost their only drawback is drawing multiples combined with smaller hand sizes, where in the TCG you could just row extras. I haven't paid much attention to constructed yet so I'm not sure how good they are there, but I could see Arcanite Reaper making most decks that can play it.

The key is that only a few classes can use weapons as well, and they tend to lack any non-neutral heals. The warrior is a bit of an exception here with Armor, the warrior using Arcanite Reaper as removal isn't that big of a deal. I'm not really sure it being used as direct damage is either, as it can still be circumvented by Taunt creatures (and thus force them to take damage.)

Or put differently, I just don't see weapons as being any more of a problem than Fireball or Pyroblast, and those seem pretty balanced. Most weapons only give two swings, which is a bit more card advantage than using a pure nuke that only hits one target, but their costs don't seem that out of line.

No I understand what they do - I actually come from Upper Deck and Cryptozoic so I've played a few games of the TCG. :D

Without the strike cost their only drawback is drawing multiples combined with smaller hand sizes, where in the TCG you could just row extras. I haven't paid much attention to constructed yet so I'm not sure how good they are there, but I could see Arcanite Reaper making most decks that can play it.

Heh, fair enough then. Your point about drawing multiples is valid as well. That, combined with 'The Coin' makes 1 drop allies almost unplayable in my mind in limited. If you go second, you generally want to play a two drop (2/3 is the best stat line IMO), and drawing a 1 drop later feels miserable since you can't just row it.

I don't think weapons are overpowered, but they seem to nearly all be very limited playable (just scanning here: Hearthstone Cards - World of Warcraft ). The life loss from using them for card advantage (taking two or more hits by definition) is a big deal.

1 toughness creatures can be issue due to how easy they are to remove. Otherwise though, I really like having early plays. A lot of 1-drops are mediocre, but there are some good ones (Voidwalker, Blood Imp, Mana Wyrm), and many good 2-drops. I've come around more to liking a lot of 2 in my mana curve to have some initiative in the early game.

I don't think weapons are overpowered, but they seem to nearly all be very limited playable (just scanning here: Hearthstone Cards - World of Warcraft ). The life loss from using them for card advantage (taking two or more hits by definition) is a big deal.

It's more advantage than just 2:1 card advantage, which is already good. If I have a weapon, I effectively pay life (or armor) to limit my opponent's options. If I left that minion on the field, my opponent could use it to:

- attack me directly, causing damage (possibly multiple times, possibly with buffs)

- destroy one of my low-toughness minions, thereby reducing my own potential damage and possibly disabling combos built into my deck (Starving Buzzard, Mana Addict, etc.)

- destroy Taunt minons that would be better spent blocking higher-attack minions

- blow up all my minions with Shadowflame

- get out a cheaper Sea Giant, a more powerful Frostwolf Warlord, etc.

- probably a lot of other unpleasant things I'd rather not have my opponent doing any sooner than necessary.

A weapon gives very potent board control, slows the other player's power curve, and allows me to take out threats on my terms without having mess up my mana curve (after the weapon is out) or sacrifice my own minions.

Basically what it comes down to is winning with 1 health is equivalent to winning with 30, so spending health for card advantage is a very good deal - especially early on when most minions are fragile enough for weapons to one-shot.

8-3 as Thrall, 255 gold (4 boxes), 1 pack. My deck had 2 Bloodlusts and 2 Flametongue Totems. I also placed a fair bit of emphasis on getting the 2-body creatures. One of my losses came to a mage that drew her 4-damage sweeper the turn before I drew a Bloodlust. :(

9-2 as Paladin (345 gold). Was trying out a different sort of build. There was some various luck involved due to a lack of removal and not running into too many sweepers, and ripping Lay on Hands in the final game after being Pyroblasted down to 1.

[ATTACH]16040[/ATTACH][ATTACH]16041[/ATTACH]

I don't really have a theory here since that deck doesn't seem great, it's just weenies without much synergy. But having consistent early drops is seeming more and more important in this game.

Yeah, I had similar thoughts with my first 9-0 in a Mage deck. I had enough early game that could usually keep me alive long enough to get to the sturdier midrange creatures. Granted I had a few creatures with enrage/berserk that Fire Blast made better, but Fire Blast in general is pretty decent at allowing your early game to trade up. I think my favorite part of the deck was the secret that redirects a minion-targeted spell to a summoned 1/3. A druid snap conceded after his +4 health and taunt got redirected.

I've had success with Priest, but from what I'm hearing a lot aren't liking it. I've gotten it I think 3-4 times, and every time has been 7 wins at least (once a 9-x). I may just be getting lucky since 2-3 Northshire Clerics and 2-3 Mind Controls were in every deck and were huge players in my wins.

I've had success with Priest, but from what I'm hearing a lot aren't liking it. I've gotten it I think 3-4 times, and every time has been 7 wins at least (once a 9-x). I may just be getting lucky since 2-3 Northshire Clerics and 2-3 Mind Controls were in every deck and were huge players in my wins.

Priest seems by far the hardest to get 9 wins in arena. I watched Kripparian on twitch trying to get 9 wins on priest and it's pretty brutal. It took him 3 days of playing all night after he got all the other classes. He had a bunch of 8-3s, but druid decks were generally auto-loose once you got at the end stretch.

9-2 w/ Rogue = [285 Gold (3x), 55 Dust, 1 Pack]. Going second with multiple 0 costs spells (including the coin) make combos (especially Defias Ring Leader) pretty abusive. Having a 2/3 and 2/1 in play on your first turn puts the opposing player on their back heels really quickly.

Priest seems by far the hardest to get 9 wins in arena. I watched Kripparian on twitch trying to get 9 wins on priest and it's pretty brutal. It took him 3 days of playing all night after he got all the other classes. He had a bunch of 8-3s, but druid decks were generally auto-loose once you got at the end stretch.

Yeah, I've seen Kripp draft the priest deck and disagree with a lot of his choices. He definitely has played more of the game than me though, so who knows. I'll try priest some more when I get more experience with the other decks.

Got another 9-1 Arena on stream. It was a very similar deck to the 9-2 Paladin draft I mentioned yesterday, where it felt a like a big mash of generic creatures, but somehow played well as an aggressive deck. I can't exactly identify a theme that tied it together yet, but want to figure out how to keep drafting these.

HamletEJ - Hearthstone Beta Arena 3

Should be an entertaining video. Basically feels like a whole bunch of games I shouldn't have won.

The theme was, don't underestimate Questing Adventurer and you can never have too many weapons.

I haven't focused on rewards in too much detail, but it seems pretty clear that you get 1 pack and 4 random bags of gold/dust, which have a small chance of being an added back of a gold card at high levels. The only interesting thing I've noticed is a bag of exactly 150 gold which I think might be an automatic reward at a certain number of wins (9?).

But any rate, if you want to record rewards, the total doesn't help much, you need to see what individual gold/dust bags can hold at each level.

First Arena was doing pretty well, 5 wins 1 loss (though just added the second cos of the below bug). Got a Hunter which seem strong to me and managed to grab a ton of beasts and beast buffing cards so that's working pretty well. Also grabbed a Nozdormu but it's pretty buggy, often the timer doesn't start in the opponents turn, especially straight after playing it.

Is it possible to play too fast that some abilities don't take effect? I just had a Hunter's Mark/Stormpike Commando combo not kill an Imp Master which was bizarre. Was a Shaman I was against, no invulnerability or anything. But it basically cost me the game as he was able to protect the imp master and heal it up after that to keep pumping out minions.