Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Benjamin

Hardware Interface -- Keyboards and Mice

724 posts in this topic

I use the MX Rev also. It's comfortable, has a nice amount of buttons, and has pretty good response time. If you use it, I'd definitely use uberOptions so you can map things to the thumbwheel.

You don't need anything special to map actions to the Thumbwheel. Just set it to "Zoom" for the WoW window and it will toggle something like Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down.

I broke my Razer mouse twice now, the right button doesnt react well to clicks anymore -- must be some fabrication error.

Anyone tried the G9 mouse from Logitech?

The reviews I've read confirm what I thought. It will be extremely uncomfortable over time playing anything other then an FPS, depending on how you hold it. It will not support the back of your hand so you have to use a finger-tip style grip.

I use a G15 and G5 (rev 2). I don't see a reason for every changing. :P

Hey guys, sorry for resurrecting this old thread but I'm interested in buying a gamepad like some of you have and rather not waste my money on one so I have a few questions.

*Do you actualy use the controle system at your thumb to use your WoW characters? Might be a silly question but I want to know for sure because I see WASD at the pictures of the pads.

*I have two pads in mind, either the Belkin Nostromo SpeedPad n52 or the Saitek Pro Gamer. Has anybody tried both and prefers one over the other?

*Any extra comments on pads like these? Things to keep in mind?

Any help would be apriciated. :)

*I have two pads in mind, either the Belkin Nostromo SpeedPad n52 or the Saitek Pro Gamer. Has anybody tried both and prefers one over the other?

Like so many others in the thread, I'm a fan of the Logitech G series keyboards (my own being a G15). The extra macro keys are easier to reach while not straying from your regular keyboarding position (which is pretty important to me, since I tend to type nearly as much as I speak over Ventrilo). The extra functionality of the buttons also works well with other applications, such as your office or design suite of choice, making it a better "overall" choice for computer use in my opinion.

That being said, if you choose to stick with a pad style accessory then I would recommend the Belkin over the Saitek. While both manufacturers make a decent product, everybody I've talked to (five different WoW players) have preferred the Nostromo. The only person that didn't like either went with the Ideazon model.

I've had or have just about all the devices in this thread.

For keyboards I have used:

Model M - This is on my server pc now and doesn't get much use these days but I've had it for almost 12 years I think so I'd say I got my money's worth.

Ideazon - Which I did not like at all, I tried a bunch of the different keyboards but never found one I liked.

Saitek Eclipse - Had the weird pad that plugged into the top - keyboard was good but the keypad was total crap.

Logitech G15 - Using this currently. Don't really use the side keys but seeing who is talking in vent on the lcd is great and the actual keyboard itself is good.

For gamepads I have used:

Nostromo n52 - Started with the n50 playing fps. n52 is good but the key action is still too stiff and it can be a bit limiting at times.

Fang - Never felt comfortable with this and didn't care for the feel of the keys.

Ergodex - Got one of these earlier this year. Drivers suck but the keys and the ability to lay things out just how I like them make up for it. The "Sticky Keys" that you place on the pad have great action and don't come loose. Using this currently. One other slight drawback is that is pretty big, if you don't have the desktop space go for the n52 or their new n52te(?) that is coming out in November.

Mice -

Logitech Revolution - A little too laggy and heavy feeeling for me but I did like the button layout, especially the side thumb button.

Microsfot Habu - Piece of total shit.

Razer - Never felt comfortable to me and I had been using side thumb buttons by the time I got one and missed having them too much.

Logitech Mx 518 - I just keep coming back to this mouse, I think it is pretty much the perfect gaming mouse.

Hey guys, sorry for resurrecting this old thread but I'm interested in buying a gamepad like some of you have and rather not waste my money on one so I have a few questions.

*Do you actualy use the controle system at your thumb to use your WoW characters? Might be a silly question but I want to know for sure because I see WASD at the pictures of the pads.

*Any extra comments on pads like these? Things to keep in mind?

Any help would be apriciated. :)

Nope. I use the thumb D-pad as modifier keys. I have the four directions mapped to shift, alt, shift-alt, and spacebar (for jumping).

Nostromo n52 - Started with the n50 playing fps. n52 is good but the key action is still too stiff and it can be a bit limiting at times.

One other slight drawback is that is pretty big, if you don't have the desktop space go for the n52 or their new n52te(?) that is coming out in November.

About the nostromo n52, yes the keys are stiff, but trust me, after half a year they get soft and with my current almost 2 years old one, i consider getting a n52te. Belkin got a Promo-Site running for it at Belkin n52te

That n52te looks tight, but I don't think back lights alone are worth getting it. Unless they did something else that I'm not seeing.

And just to comment on past hardware...

Razer DBack - I liked this mouse for a while because I seem to grip all mise really foward at the buttons, but the little numbs on the side buttons hurt my fingers after a while. The right side buttons were a pain to reach too. And I'm a sucker for wireless so I went with a G5.

That n52te looks tight, but I don't think back lights alone are worth getting it. Unless they did something else that I'm not seeing.

There are some interesting minor adjustments. The bottom row of keys is tilted a bit, which might be nicer ergonomically, and I think the thumb button is located in a different position. And the D-pad is no longer a D-pad? I'm not sure I like that.

Nope. I use the thumb D-pad as modifier keys. I have the four directions mapped to shift, alt, shift-alt, and spacebar (for jumping).

I hadn't thought about doing that... the n52 has never appealed to me because I never liked the idea of using a D-Pad on my thumb for movement, but using that D-Pad for modifiers is a great idea, thanks!

I hadn't thought about doing that... the n52 has never appealed to me because I never liked the idea of using a D-Pad on my thumb for movement, but using that D-Pad for modifiers is a great idea, thanks!

Yeah, it's superbly clean. NotAddicted.com's writers actually came up with the idea; it was what sold me on buying one.

I use my n52 in the same way (roughly) with the d-pad shifting colors. I have my movement bound to it and felt it easier to bind things inside the n52 app than change all my in game key-bindings.

I use the MX Rev also. It's comfortable, has a nice amount of buttons, and has pretty good response time. If you use it, I'd definitely use uberOptions so you can map things to the thumbwheel.

I was wondering if there was a way to bind things to the thumb wheel and this got me interested. But sadly every link i can find referencing UberOptions seems to not be working. Is there a reason for this?

When I'm in my room, I use the new Apple Keyboard + Logitech G5 with my laptop and agree with Saeto; <3 the keyboard!

I've been tempted by many of the non-traditional keypads and input devices, but due to the fact that I play the game on multiple computers and I really don't want to have to readjust to a different input device when I switch between them (or buy multiple pieces of hardware), I've just stuck with a fairly standard setup of Apple Keyboard (the last-generation model - it's space efficient and quiet, though easily dirtied) and a mouse with as many buttons as possible (Logitech G5 v2 on my main gaming machine, MX500 on my workstation).

And to whoever mentioned the regression in mice in terms of buttons, I completely agree. I bought my first MX700 5 or 6 years ago, and later replaced it with a MX500 (didn't like heft of the MX700), and from that point on, I've not come across a mouse that I considered a worthy replacement until the new G5 with an extra side button that they introduced just a short while ago. The MX510/518 were pretty much the same thing but with different (and to me, worse) drivers, and the original G5 didn't have all the buttons that I had come used to using. And for me at least, nobody else is even in the league of Logitech when it comes to getting every aspect of the mouse correct, and none of the offerings from Microsoft, Razor, et al even remotely tempted me.

The new G5 though, really is the best all-around mouse on the market. Even if the MX Revolution is cooler.

Anyone got any prognostication about Mice with hat switches?

Sandio 3D Game O' Mouse - Articles / Reviews | TheTechLounge

Cyborg Mouse

The Sandio just strikes me as a good thing taken too far. 3 4-ways + scroll wheel + 2 more thumb buttons. Pinkie buttons never thrilled me, but a pinkie 4way is crazytalk.

The Saitek one is a more sedate 1 4-way, but the funky shapes on mice just never work out.

I've had my Logitech Mx518 since it came out, and it still works great. I use a 10 dollar Logitech keyboard I bought from Walmart, and it works as good as any gaming keyboard I have ever used. And as far as headsets go, has anyone tried these?

3053.1.0.jpg

I bought them a few months back after my Old Faithfuls broke, and absolutely love them. Yeah, I look like princess Laea when I wear them, and they give me a small headache if I wear them for more than 5-6 hours, but they sound GREAT, are comfortable, and keep my head warm!

Edit: I just realized these are the headsets that Blizzard is giving away right now.

Saitek PZ31A Pro Gamer Command

41ZQEDKTZYL._AA280_.jpg

Ok, that's just plain sexy. I've been using a N52 for years and the stiffness of the buttons and the lack of grip on the base makes it slide all over the place to the point where I oftentimes find myself bracing the frame of the controller to keep it in place. (spilling soda on it recently doesn't help either >.<)

Also, can you calibrate the hat at all? While I've gotten used to it, the angle of the 8d thumbpad on the N52 has always felt a little off to me.

I wish there was a local store where I could get a feel for these things myself though. I've been looking at the TE online, but ergonomics and comfort are too personal to capture in online reviews.

Yeah I have had the same n52 since the week they were first released, so it's gotten plenty of use, and the keys are still too stiff.

I also have the d-pad set to Shift - Alt - Ctrl and Vent key. I used the back four buttons as WASD. This allowed for 30 keybindings on the controller.

On my Ergodex I pretty much mimicked my n52 setup, because I was used it to it, but was able to get an additional 21 keybindings by being able to bind the 11th and 12th spots on the main action bar(x3 shifts) and add an additional row of 5 buttons(x3 shifts).

Eh, I guess I've just had back luck w/ N52s. I've broken no less than 5 of them in the last 3 years of playing WoW.

Fortunately I buy them at Best Buy and pick up the warranty each time, but still, its a pretty crappy quality item.

As far as things that have broken:

1) Scroll wheel 2x - in both instances the ability to depress the scroll wheel would fuck up and would send signals for my char to repeatedly jump (it was my jump button).

2) The "thumb rest" key for lack of a better term would lose its functionality and become stuck in the "depressed" mode, not unlike the scroll wheel issue. This got to the point where I had to unbind any functionality from this key.

3) The soft plastic base is pretty crappy and would either separate from the harder plastic it was glued to, or would require cleaning every few weeks or so. Theoretically I guess it could go on a cloth mouse pad or something, but whatever.

4) The most recent issue I've had is button 15 (or whatever the last one is) simply refuses to work. Said n52 is only ~4 months old, and had been sitting in a friends living room for probably half its' life.

Net net, I'm interested in that N52te, as I learned to play WoW on the n52, but I'm dubious of the companies QC, and shelling $70 for the same POS but with ****EXTREME LIGHTS**** (and a movable wrist rest?) doesn't sound enticing.

Anyone got some comments regarding the G9? The scrollwheel was pretty bad on previous logictech mice, when you clicked down the wheel it would pop to the sides and trigger the horizontal clicks on the wheel.

This is what I am using

Keyboard

Razer Tarantula

Mouse

Razer Deathadder

Headset

Razer Barracuda

i started with the mouse and loved it so much things just kinda snowballed from there.