Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

giansm

Raiding as a Tree

1537 posts in this topic

I'd consider having you put the downfalls of druid raid healing in that section as well. If there are no clear healing assignments, our HOT's will often be over-written, it takes (just using rejuv and lifebloom) at least 3 seconds for any tangible healing to show. Also, there's a higher tendency to use regrowth more often due to the lower cast time. The nice hp/s can't be replicated in raid healing settings unless the raid is taking constant damage. It's not bad for trash, but when you're at a boss, it's not very sustainable.

Compared to a 1.5 second flash of light for 180 mana, 1.5 flash heal for 470 mana (untalented), and chain heal which is 2.5 second cast for 540 mana but hits 5 targets only healing those who need healing, you're looking at a faster heal from just about every other class for a lower mana cost, assuming regrow. If using lifebloom we are a cheaper healer, but it takes 7 seconds for most of the healing to be realized.

Regarding a spare weapon with Spellsurge, how are players finding that using a weapon swap mod is complicating lifebloom rolling?

If one is starting their roll out with the +81 weapon and then swapping, obviously, this isn't an issue. As we all know however, sometimes due to heavy movement or other factors, you have to start your stack over.

This is further complicated by the fact that weapons are not visible in tree form and also the fact that many of us are in the tank group anyway. So, is using a weapon swap mod a blessing or a curse for most?

There are many ways to choose who you heal in raid healing situation. Usually the important thing is to make the choises other people aren't making.

First and foremost note this: if the raid can be kept up while priest/palas/shamans are topping off people with your HOTs on them, then you mostly shouldn't be needed on raid healing and should have been assigned to something else to start off with. If, on the other hand, you are losing people due to overhealing then there's actually room for improvement. The following is a rough list I compiled (for lifebloom) a while back It might or might not work for you, feel free to disagree:

-Don't heal the guy with lowest HP (he should already be getting direct heals).

-Don't heal the guy who's had damage longest, someone else has probably noticed this already. (fights where range or LoS are significant, ignore this one).

-Don't heal a group going from top to bottom, rather go from bottom to top (most healers tend to go top-to-bottom in my experience).

-Don't heal full groups that take damage, heal groups where only some have taken damage (when a full group takes damage, they are usually either in chain heal or CoH range and often with a shadow priest too).

-Heal groups you know will take more damage such as melee groups (you really should agree beforehand what happens here tbh. but generally don't heal the guy who's lost most HP).

-Prefer healing mages & priests over paladins, warlocks and hunters (most raiding mages/priests have much lower stamina than warlocks and hunters, mages must also use their 'stone' cooldown on mana stones instead of saving for healthstone. Paladins don't gain mana from final heal of lifebloom - although you healing them is preferable to them healing themselves, it's still better if another pally/priest/shaman does it. Paladins also got an extra personal escape ability over most classes).

-Usually prefer ranged over melee (other healers are better suited at healing melee).

-Prefer healing yourself over almost anyone else (someone else *might* have a potion/stone/cooldown to save themselves with, if you don't save yourself some other healer still has to).

In short: your job is to predict who others will heal and heal someone else instead. Your job is to prevent people from falling into critical danger range so people who operate heals there (=direct heals) don't get swamped. If everyone's doing emergency healing, you'll have awfully many people dropping into emergency range because there's nobody to catch them before they do. And once too many people drop at once, there's bound to be significant healing collisions usually resulting in death.

In the end though it comes down to experience. Usually it's also awfully lot easier to predict who others will be healing by talking to them beforehand than trying to guess during the fight. :>

It might be an idea to add "/cancelform" at the start of the 2.3 macro. Although it will leave it automatically, some people will turn that option off(like myself). These people probably know that they have to add it, but could be worth mentioning.

First of all thanks for this great healing guide. I like it especially since it almost 100% correlates with my personal opinion about Healing Druids. And it does not contain crap like saying you have to go 0/0/61 for raid healing.

Some remarks:

The power of this technique lies in the fact that tank spike deaths often happen in a short 2 second window, which lifebloom is guaranteed to tick once in and maybe tick twice.

This is wrong. During 2 seconds Lifebloom will allways tick exactly twice unless it expires.

And one could add that due to the 1s tick interval Lifebloom will tick at least once before a Flash of Light hits sometimes twice. If you consider lag, it is quite possible for Lifebloom to tick even three times before any reactive heal lands.

Also, it may be a good idea to give some numbers about how much healing your spells contribute during a standard boss fight.

From my experience, Lifebloom typically provides ~70% of your healing output. Rejuvination gives gives around 20% and the rest is provided by Regrowth, Swiftmend and Healing Touch, depending on the encounter.

Also for consumables, one may add Elixir of Mastery to usefull Battle Elixirs, since it's giving Stamina, Spirit and Intelligence, which can be of advantage for some fights. However, I agree that for most encounters Healing Power is the better joice.

Spirit-based regen: The two most popular trinkets that fall under this category are [bangle of Endless Blessings] and [Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon]. If you plan to innervate yourself due to mana issues, the Bangle is worth 1820 extra mana each time you innervate. With 500 spirit, the Blue Dragon card is currently worth 800 mana each time it procs. In patch 2.3, with 500 spirit, the Blue Dragon card will be worth 660 mana per proc (due to the increased power of Intensity).

Some additional information on these trinkets, since I use them a lot on mana intense fights.

According to wowhead, Blue Dragon has a 2% procchance. This matches with my experience, that it procs about every two minutes. Now, given the 800 Mana per proc at 500 Spirit, this converts to ~33 MP5. Which means it still is the best regen trinket available.

Endless Blessings should have a procchance of 10%, but from combat logs it seems only to proc twice as often as Blue Dragon due to the 45 second internal cooldown of the proc. For one proc it grants 15% additional spirit based regen. Which gives about ~33*0.15*2 = ~10MP5.

Also, if you have both trinkets you may want to wait for Blue Dragon to proc to activate Endless Blessings for additional 200 Mana. Due to the two minute cooldown it may be ready again for the next proc or innervate if needed.

This is wrong. During 2 seconds Lifebloom will allways tick exactly twice unless it expires.

Thanks for pointing this out. When I wrote "maybe twice," I guess I was thinking of the lifebloom ticking exactly in the middle of the two-second interval, but then it would have also ticked on both ends. I suppose this could be considered one, two, or three ticks depending on your definition of "two second interval" (open, half-open, closed) but it's such an edge case that you are right and lifebloom for all practical purposes ticks twice.

I'll be adding your contributions about the Spirit trinkets soon. I don't have a Blue Dragon card so it helps to have someone with experience talk about it.

Ah, another note. Golden Darters don't have a school, the pools they can be caught in are Highland Mixed Schools along with Furious Crawdad.

Hmm. I've never actually seen a Darter school but I believed the info on Golden Darter - El's Extreme Anglin' since it seemed to be a reliable site in the past. Personally however I've always fished them from outside Allerian Stronghold. I'll take out the reference to Darter schools just to be safe, since they are pretty reliably catchable from open water.

Ah, another note. Golden Darters don't have a school, the pools they can be caught in are Highland Mixed Schools along with Furious Crawdad.

There's definitely Golden Darter schools as I've fished them before (killing basilisks for eyes around Terokkar rivers, just fishing all schools I saw) - generally they're pretty rare though.

Oooh, thanks for that. I could have sworn they were only in mixed highland school. I'll have to fly around and check for them. That's fine, leave them in. I've honestly never seen one.

Oooh, thanks for that. I could have sworn they were only in mixed highland school. I'll have to fly around and check for them. That's fine, leave them in. I've honestly never seen one.

I believe that there is only one golden darter school up at a single time so in the time you spend flying around looking to see if it is even up you could have just fished in regular water and gotten about the same number of Darters

I'm wondering, since this seems the right place to ask, is there a website that has a list of all the resto druid gear, ranked based on stats, like the one for feral gear Index of /emmerald ? I know for healing finding the best gear is a bit easier especially for a druid, but I'm sure someone theorycrafted the weight of spirit(tree) mp5 and healing to find which gives the highest efficiency in various situations, so maybe someone made a website ranking all the gear based on that?

If not I guess I'll just go thru wowhead. But just in case, what I'm looking for specifically would be a preraid gear set, the best one you can find out of heroics/pvp/normal instances/quests/crafted. Maybe someone actually made that list, so asking before I go thru the pages of loot myself.

I always use wowhead, and just run searches for different slots. It helps to use the upper end iLevel so you're not searching for gear from instances you're not in yet.

I am a +heal stacking druid, and will gem almost everything for 18 heal over the 9+2mana/5. You can regen so many ways, and can only effectively stack healing with gems and gear. Between food, oil, SP group, and BoWisdom, that a ton of mana. When needed, I chain pot. I'm no mathinator, but I go by the rule of thumb that chain potting is 100mana/5. For healing, you could up your oil to brilliant, and use fish sticks, and that's about it. I recommend every druid have a look at their gear, and consider regemming to all +18, with of course some exceptions where it makes sense.

I've gotten really used to my lifebloom bound with my LCPB and rejuv bound to Essence of the Martyr. I get a lot more up time with the clicks than when I was directly clicking. Sure, the buff can be kinda wasted sometimes, but I can generally find a target for a lifebloom. My only beef is I can suppress the on screen error message, but I still get the audio. Any idea how to change that?

Golden Darters definitely come in schools, and they spawn multiples. You just have to make sure to fish out all the feltail pools people leave behind. They will come back as darters eventually. If you want to just fish open water, the pond right next to the east exit of Shatt is a great spot, and requires lower fishing than Skettis.

I can confirm darter schools and at very good times you find 2-4 in the rivers at the same time. I did fishing rounds down there to get to 375. When I knew a guildie was going after sporefish in Zanga.

My only beef is I can suppress the on screen error message, but I still get the audio. Any idea how to change that?

wowace.com -> errormonster , set it to Berserk if you're lazy or actually configure it properly if you aren't (if you set it to berserk it eats every error type including out of range, out of mana, etc). I'm not certain if this removes sounds or not as I play with sounds off, though I remember a guildmate recommending it to someone who was having the same thing as you so I think it does.

I am a +heal stacking druid, and will gem almost everything for 18 heal over the 9+2mana/5. You can regen so many ways, and can only effectively stack healing with gems and gear. Between food, oil, SP group, and BoWisdom, that a ton of mana. When needed, I chain pot.

I think that if you need an SP group for anything but regrowth spam, you don't have enough regen on your gear. Also regrowth spam should probably be the exception rather than the rule. Unless you are swimming in SPs, they are probably better off supporting mages or other, more needy healing classes.

I believe that due to the +healing socket bonuses you lose by gemming pure red, it should be the last way you trade regen for +healing once you have done everything else and are still okay without a SP. If this is the case for you (and it may be the case for a lot of people post-2.3) then go ahead.

I figure this is as good a place to post this as any. I spent the last few days putting together a Tree druid spell rotation spreadsheet. I would first like to apologize for the bad layout, this is my first ever attempt at throwing together a spreadsheet, so please bear (or tree) -lol i made a funny- with me. The spreadsheet can be found on filefront here. I am an excel novice so i will apologize in advance for any problems you encounter.

A couple notes, the command buttons on the far right control most every single raid buff situation I could think of; spread sheet reset, basic raid buffs (kings, BoW, imp DS, ect) full raid buffs (basic buffs +battle/guardian elixir, cooking, and oils) and the shaman button.

I consider this sheet only in beta, because there are a few known bugs, and a few other sections I am not sure I got the correct information. Please double check the Outputs to make sure it is consistent with what your hots do in game. I had to do some sloppy testing on the PTR to guestimate the spell coefficients, because when i tried the wowwiki ones, they were off big time so i tried to find them on my own.

One important notice, when you decide to change the spell rotation, make S*U*R*E the values in both the Big Six section, and the Rotation Input section are the same. The Big Six section is there so you can visualize your rotation, and the inputs section is there for ease of computing. A very common error is to change the Big Six section and leave the inputs alone and vice versa. The mana costs must also be correct. Except for the regrowth idol please enter the base mana cost of the spell, not the tree cost. If you use the regrowth idol, the mana cost should update on its own /crosses fingers.

This sheet doesnt contain any fancy gear/gem/enchants selection, and only a limited number of gear changes are taken into account. This sheet just exists at the moment to figure a spell rotation, and calculate how much healing it does, and how long you can cast it.

KNOWN BUGS

The "Outside regen" section is buggy, if you get that error on the sheet, ignore it as well as the command buttons relating to it. You can play around with it, and if you know your excel/theorycrafting, you can try to fix it, but the bugs will be pretty apparent.

The deal with that section is there was no way for me to know how many pots/procs/innervates, ect you were to recieve unless I already knew how long you were going to cast. Since this outside regen depends on how long you will cast, I had a problem. Outside regen meant more procs/pots, more procs/pots meant more casting time, more casting time meant more pots/procs and the circle continues.

In addition, the way the sheet handles innervate is wrong. For simplicity's sake, I just took the total OFSR mp5 regen and multiplied it by 16 (4 mp5 ticks of 4x regen) which is most assuredly not how innervate works, but I felt rushed because I had already spent a lot of time on it and needed to get it out.

If you have any suggestions, comments, corrections, or bug fixes please, please o please post them here, PM me on this forum, or contact me in game.

Are there any easy ways to switch out your innervate weapon and switch back in your old weapons? Currently I use an /equip WEAPON /cast Innervate macro which works but then I would need to use another macro to reequip my regular weaponry (MH/OH). As far as suggestions to this thread go, I would add [item]Flask of Distilled Wisdom[/item] to the list as it is a much better choice for shorter fights or for instances where you may be in a shadow priest group or have the benefit of additional MP5 enhancements (Jaina Proudmore), etc. Also is it possible to get a "must have" mod section that briefly goes over the top used mods by tree druids and how to use them effectively.

You can probably use a /castsequence macro, since "casting" the name of an equippable item in your bags attempts to equip it.

/castsequence [alt] MH, OH; [ctrl] SPTWEAP; SPTWEAP, Innervate, MH, OH

This would let you hold down alt or control keys to force specific weapons, if you happen to mash the macro too many times and get caught with the wrong weapons, although spam-mashing should leave you with your spirit-stick (cycles through the sequence once, then equips SPTWEAP and stops because innervate is on cooldown).

It doesn't really matter whether you're in a shadow priest group or not, all that matters is how much more mana you have with the flask than without. The distilled wisdom flask grants 1072 mana with Blessing of Kings, and the mighty restoration flask grants mana equal to: time (in seconds) * 5. This means that it beats the distilled wisdom flask in 3m34s. Even on a short fight where you are receiving a mana tide, distilled wisdom is only better until the 4m25s mark. However even with a mana tide, the difference is not large enough to make up the mana for a single lifebloom past 3m50s. I didn't list the wisdom flask because at least for our guild almost everything takes longer than this.

I think CasterWeaponSwapper is supposed to be able to do an Innervate swap, but I don't use that mod so I don't know for sure. The main reason I didn't put in a mod section is because a lot of it is preference-based (what raid frames, what boss mod) but I can put a list of popular ones. How does this sound: raid frames (Grid/sRaid/Pitbull/xperl), unit frames (Pitbull/xperl), boss mods (DBM/BW), and hot tracker (chronometer, others?).

By the way, does anyone know of a better hot tracker than chronometer? The thing I don't like about it is that it re-orders the bars based on time spent, and shows too many bars. I would prefer a mod that always kept the bars in the same order and only showed bars for lifebloom on the targets you are trying to roll it on (maybe only show a bar if the lifebloom has 2+ stacks, or show a bar for people on a pre-determined list).

Can anyone point me to a Tree aura VS other party auras (for the tank that is) calculation.

example, tree aura vs devotion aura. I asume the calc as been done but I haven't seen it :)

awesome guide, nice to read even though I don't play a druid myself

I use HotCandy.

But it really is not that different than Chronometer.

HotCandy is better, since Chronometer bugs a lot with it's bars and when mobs get killed, making you lose cd bars in mid-trash.

Can anyone point me to a Tree aura VS other party auras (for the tank that is) calculation.

example, tree aura vs devotion aura. I asume the calc as been done but I haven't seen it :)

Look on Druid - Tree Concerns and Issues - Page 6. Dukes calculates that on a warrior with 18000 armor, the best devotion aura (improved, with tier 5 set bonus) provides 5.4% damage reduction. Later on Vernichter confirms this number and calculates that a standard improved devotion (without set bonus) provides 3.9% damage reduction. This is straight mitigation, and so the tank never takes this damage.

For the tree aura: say you have 600 spirit, this means your aura adds +150 healing. Since rolling lifebloom's coefficient is 29.42% this adds 44 to the tick value. Assuming we are trying to prevent a tank spike death that happens in 2 seconds, and assuming we have two druids on the tank, these lifeblooms will tick for a total of 44 * 2 druids * 2 ticks = 176. Say there's also a couple of paladins landing a FoL (I'm going to say they're not landing HLs, since if they are then the tank is probably not going to die). I'm not sure what the coefficient is with a holy spec but let's say it's 50%. If they both land the tree aura contributes 150 healing. Thus the tree aura contributed 326 healing. If the tank has 19k hp and is in danger of losing all of this, devotion will protect him from 771 damage even if he receives no heals. This number is more than twice as much, and damage mitigation is inherently "safer" than healing (since the damage never happens), so devotion blows away tree aura for the MT.