Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SOaD!

WWS and 2.4 sample logs

49 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Firstly I'd like to present myself for them how don't know me. I'm SOaD!, CM from Wow Web Stats.

So as you know, 2.4 will change the way combat events are logged. We are currently working on a new parser rebuild from the scratch, and we need help to provide a functional parser as soon as possible.

Anyone can help by providing some combat log file sample to us.

The approach is detailled in the post in our forum here.

If you have suggestions, we'll keep an eye on both threads, so feel free to post ideas.

Thank you everyone,

The WWS team

Suggestions:

• The ability to view Graphs of DPS vs Time, etc, not just a bar chart
  • The ability to display DPS/Healing by phase of an encounter - ie, 'splitting' an encounter into phases that can be viewed independent of one another
  • Change the default "Miss %" view in the details of damage done so that it always shows parry/block/miss/dodge. Too many people get insanely confused by what WWS means by "Miss %"
  • The log browser is incredibly limited and very difficult to search for specific events. It would be more helpful if I could search for things like "[Everyone] [Death] [Ability: Doom Fire]" or "[Everyone][Damage Taken][Flamestrike]" so that you can locate your problem areas.
  • The new Horde color scheme is hard on the eyes (and not work friendly)
  • The reports page really needs a way to be sorted by date instead of by DPS.

You guys are definitely the premier combat log analysis program right now, but the tools are clumsy in some regards and frustrating in others because its hard to see the data that we want sometimes.

One huge feature request for you to consider. A large part of what people are using WWS for is comparisons between players on the same raid/parse or between two parses. ie, comparing rogue 1 and rogue 2 on a BT run, or comparing rogue 1's performance this week to the same encounter from the week before. I would envision something like a subversion diff selection, checkboxes allowing you select 2 parses for comparison. You could then display the stats for that player for both runs, as well as having a "differences" summary that would show things like differences in number of abilities used, damage done, crit rates, etc.

Suggestions

- A feature where guilds could compare how they have improved on a fight over time. For example, if they could compare their dps on Illidan kills over a 2 month period.

Suggestions

- A feature where guilds could compare how they have improved on a fight over time. For example, if they could compare their dps on Illidan kills over a 2 month period.

I believe this feature exists. If you have an upgraded account it should provide a guild link at the top that tracks I believe what you are looking for Boss DPS progression as a sub category under each Raid Instance.

I believe this feature exists. If you have an upgraded account it should provide a guild link at the top that tracks I believe what you are looking for Boss DPS progression as a sub category under each Raid Instance.

It's there for unupgraded accounts. It shows up on the top of the 'My Reports' page for the person doing the uploading. Not sure how/if it works if multiple people do the uploading on seperate accounts. It shows every logged attempt split by raidinstance/boss.

Yah but apparently that site only tracks people that are in the 'top 10' or something.

Apparently I'm rated #4 in the world for shaman DPS on Aran. Interesting I guess, but that's not showing a comparison between 2 people on a raid.

Yah but apparently that site only tracks people that are in the 'top 10' or something.

Apparently I'm rated #20 in the US (world?) for Enhance Shaman on Kael? I dunno if there stuff is out of date or something.

It's certainly buggy, or missing many reports, or something, I'm not quite sure. Some of our kills are on there, but other kills from the same raid and same log are not? Plus that site is ugly as sin. I think WWS could do a much better job, considering they have all the logs anyway and their site is much cleaner.

It's certainly buggy, or missing many reports, or something, I'm not quite sure. Some of our kills are on there, but other kills from the same raid and same log are not? Plus that site is ugly as sin. I think WWS could do a much better job, considering they have all the logs anyway and their site is much cleaner.

I have to agree it seems a bit off as I highly doubt that my inactive Shadow Priest that I played last night during backflag attunements is the 39th highest shadow priest DPS on High Astromancer in the world. A feature like this supported by WWS itself (especially a smart one that throws out WWS parses known to be wrong - i.e. Teron kills with total damage done >4.9 million HP) with good data integrity would be excellent. This would provide class benchmarks you could go to rather quickly, something that is currently difficult to sort through.

Well a few things to note about the WWS Scoreboard:

1 - The scores only reflect guilds that have actually posted a WWS. So yah you may not be the 39th highest Spriest in the world, but you certainly are of the WWS parses that were submitted.

2 - they use the standard DPS/Time calculation instead of the default WWS 'instant DPS' calculation so the numbers will look different to you

3 - the default options for the scoreboard filter out anonymous reports so you're already looking at a smaller pool since it includes paid accounts only (although those are normally the people with higher dps anyways since they care enough about their raid to pay to preserve their logs)

4 - they have some sort of validity check on their logs. In my case, we had previously seen that our Aran kill (rated #7 on the scoreboard) was listed below some guys that had 20 people listed on the kill, or a log with 30,000 DPS. Obviously bad combat log files, and the scoreboard somehow filters those out already.

Well a few things to note about the WWS Scoreboard:

1 - The scores only reflect guilds that have actually posted a WWS. So yah you may not be the 39th highest Spriest in the world, but you certainly are of the WWS parses that were submitted.

2 - they use the standard DPS/Time calculation instead of the default WWS 'instant DPS' calculation so the numbers will look different to you

3 - the default options for the scoreboard filter out anonymous reports so you're already looking at a smaller pool since it includes paid accounts only (although those are normally the people with higher dps anyways since they care enough about their raid to pay to preserve their logs)

4 - they have some sort of validity check on their logs. In my case, we had previously seen that our Aran kill (rated #7 on the scoreboard) was listed below some guys that had 20 people listed on the kill, or a log with 30,000 DPS. Obviously bad combat log files, and the scoreboard somehow filters those out already.

1) Noted

2) Doesn't using this method expose the dps calculation to skew pretty badly for healing bosses (Anatheron, HWN, etc)? I suppose a guild that doesn't put up a healing debuff till half way through a particular fight might not deserve high rankings either. I can see it both ways I suppose.

3) Agreed

4) Noted

From what I've heard, WWS Scoreboard manually updates their stuff. Thats why only guilds with Top 100 kills, non-anonymous and non-'cheating' logs get added.

Here's a sample combatlog I just "generated" by attacking a random NPC on 2.4 PTR sunwell.

I post it here, for any interested Addon programmer. It's not much but it is certainly enough to start redoing the parsers:

CombatLog2.4.txt

Is there documentation somewhere on the actual meaning of all the values in the PTR logs? It doesn't seem to be something we are just meant to figure out on our own, but I haven't been able to turn up anything on the official forums.

Suggestions:

• The ability to view Graphs of DPS vs Time, etc, not just a bar chart
  • The ability to display DPS/Healing by phase of an encounter - ie, 'splitting' an encounter into phases that can be viewed independent of one another
  • The log browser is incredibly limited and very difficult to search for specific events. It would be more helpful if I could search for things like "[Everyone] [Death] [Ability: Doom Fire]" or "[Everyone][Damage Taken][Flamestrike]" so that you can locate your problem areas.

I'll echo these as being most important to me. I don't think you get enough information for it, but graphs of a Tank's HP or a DPS warriors AP would be cool.

Edit: "An expiration type report showing last X events before a player died would be useful too." This is already in there, I think I knew that a long time ago and forgot. Whoops.

Is there documentation somewhere on the actual meaning of all the values in the PTR logs? It doesn't seem to be something we are just meant to figure out on our own, but I haven't been able to turn up anything on the official forums.

If you follow the trail of Blue posts through this thread, there is at least some info: WoW Forums -> Upcoming 2.4 Changes - Concise List

I'll echo these as being most important to me. An expiration type report showing last X events before a player died would be useful too.

This exists already, if I understand you. Click on the player, click on Summary, click on the time of their death. You'll see the last 10 seconds or so before they died.

Edit: Apologies for posting twice in a row, I will say 300 Hail Kaubels :(

I'll echo these as being most important to me. I don't think you get enough information for it, but graphs of a Tank's HP or a DPS warriors AP would be cool.

Edit: "An expiration type report showing last X events before a player died would be useful too." This is already in there, I think I knew that a long time ago and forgot. Whoops.

A TPS Graph over time or simply a bar chart of the average TPS for a fight would be helpful. There is a tool currently that calculates the TPS based on the WWS parse for the warrior listed here:

Kenneth Gant Niebuhr - Online portfolie

Possibly just incorporate the backend used for it?

From what I've heard, WWS Scoreboard manually updates their stuff. Thats why only guilds with Top 100 kills, non-anonymous and non-'cheating' logs get added.

4. Why is my report missing?

* We only pull data from WWS on a limited schedule. New reports may take a couple days to appear.

* We check each report to verify it is valid. This is done by comparing the amount of damage done to a known baseline. Reports with bad splits/merges will report too much or too little damage and be marked as invalid.

* We require that your guild WWS reports include a link to your guild's homepage. Reports without this will appear as "Unknown - No Website Listed".

* Guilds that have repeatedly edited their combat logs will have all future reports marked as invalid.

* We only pull the top 200 reports for character parsing. If you have an exceptional player DPS in an encounter that does not make the top 200 reports, we can parse it manually. In that case, please allow 2 days from the time the report was posted and if the player DPS still has not appeared, send us an e-mail at the link below with the reason for requesting a manual parsing, the guild name, server name (including US or Europe), and a link to the WWS report.

* Please remember to recalculate your DPS based on damage/time and ensure that this would place in the top 25 of character reports for the class on that boss.

From WWS Scoreboard

Not really on-topic but since I can't make new topics yet (I'm a read everything before making a noise guy), I guess I'll reply here. I've reverse engineered the default Blizzard Combat Log to create a complete list of events and parameters. As far as I can see, this new system is *very* easy to parse. Too bad they didn't picked the ParserLib-x format instead of rolling their own, but it's miles (no pun intended) ahead of preg_match or java.util.regex.Pattern.

The list can be found at devel:wow_combat_events_in_2.4 [DokuWiki], license is CC-BY-SA so feel free to repost, edit and extend it.

If you have any captured logs, please link them in this thread too. The WWS-forums kinda failed to load here. I'm interested in verifying a rewrite of one of my mods (WoW24 broke MCL as expected) and getting some data into one of my pet projects, a log analyzer (read: shinier version of WWS). The last one was kinda abandoned when Blizzard announced the CL change, now I just can't wait for the patch to go live.

Macked here, one of the programmers for wwsscoreboard.com

If you have any questions about our methodology or general suggestions, please contact us at wwsscoreboard@gmail.com

We try to answer as many e-mails as we can.

@fola

For a fight that has a healing factor the numbers will be off, there is nothing that we can do about this. We rank raids by dps, so even if a guild takes slightly longer to kill a mob, but their dps is higher, they will be ranked above a guild that takes less time to kill the boss, but has a lower dps.

@Malan

Yes, we do have a valididty check. Multiple layers actually. As stated in the faq, we compare each kill to a known baseline that's correct. After this we see if there were dual reports uploaded that have the same kill time/dps time. We find a lot of people upload anonymous reports, and then instantly upload a guild report. This is all done automatically. Some stuff still gets through and we have a secondary check that we run ourselves to validate/invalidate reports.

If a guild has two reports for the same boss on the same day with different times. We take the one that has a longer time, since it contains more data. If both times are the same, but the dps is different, same thing as before, we take the one with the higher dps since it has more data in the combat log.

I hope this helps, and as i mentioned, email us (or post on our brand new forums!) any questions you may have.

Cheers

-Macked

If you have suggestions, we'll keep an eye on both threads, so feel free to post ideas.

It's very confusing, when you're looking at the details for a caster, that it only shows the number of non-crit, non-miss nukes cast. This has caused huge amounts of problems for most people I know who use WWS, because it's non-intuitive that what you need to do is click on the line to get a drop-down of the details, add those together, and then do the same for the person you want to compare them to.

No one is ever comparing "number of non-crit nukes" that two people cast, and that summary line could be far better used if it at least combined crit and non-crit.

A simple calculation of "uptime" for dots would be very nice to have in the detail. Fight length divided by the number of dot ticks basically. I do this manually now.

Finally, it's easy to calculate what VT should have returned (based on spriest dps and fight duration) versus what it did (based on number of ticks), and having this efficiency percentage easily viewable would also be awesome.

I don't know if this matters/is fixable, but: it seems lifetap isn't counted as a combat action for locks, so a destruction lock ends up with an oddly low combat percentage (and higher dps) as a result because "shadowbolt, lifetap, lifetap, shadowbolt" takes more than 5 seconds between supposed-combat actions.

If I'm wrong, ignore me :).

When you search for fights vs a specific boss it would be nice if the default view listed total damage done in addition to what is there now (Date, Raid DPS, Guild name and Class setup). Would be helpful in sorting out at a glance which parses not to bother looking at in certain fights.