Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rannasha

Feral talents/abilities - WotLK discussion

3760 posts in this topic

To be perfectly honest, they should either

1.Add int to ALL leather gear that's basically "free" (this was true for most of druid armor pieces in TBC where a small amount of intellect on the gear cost basically nothing)

or

2.Add int to all feral tier pieces- sure this will make it more desired than offpieces, but it's not like it's not desired in the first place due to set bonuses anyway, heh.

I really don't think this will be much of an issue. They've already stated that ferals will likely get -80% mana cost from shapeshifting in a PvP build, and with the mana back from LotP, that means you'll only be going OOM if you're using lots of expensive heals. That sounds about right to me.

Or did you mean for PvE? I've never had mana problems in PvE, except for when powershifting was really in vogue, and even then, not to a worrying degree.

Or, instead of the -50% mana idea, they could just reinstitute int on the pvp gear. Subtract some stam and agi, convert it into int, and boom, two birds with one stone. The changes would rebalance the pvp gear so that it would be roughly equal or slighty inferior to similar pve counterparts in terms of tanking stats, and thus, some of us ferals won't feel guilty about not pvp'ing in order to min/max for slightly better tanking gear.

Allright, there seemed to be a significant majority in favor of splitting up the FDM in a cat and a bear thread. I've poked Kaubel and asked if the EJ moderators had any strong preferences; the answer was no. So there are now 2 shiny new threads up, one for cats, one for bears. I suggest that we move the discussion to those threads so that we can part with this thread and the old FDM.

Note that the intro-posts of the 2 threads aren't complete yet, partially because alot of the theorycrafting hasn't been 100% fleshed out yet. But if anyone has any comments or suggestions for the opening posts, please send me a PM.

Thanks to dukes for maintaining the first Feral Druid Megathread and allowing me to use his opening posts as a basis for the new threads.

Or, instead of the -50% mana idea, they could just reinstitute int on the pvp gear. Subtract some stam and agi, convert it into int, and boom, two birds with one stone. The changes would rebalance the pvp gear so that it would be roughly equal or slighty inferior to similar pve counterparts in terms of tanking stats, and thus, some of us ferals won't feel guilty about not pvp'ing in order to min/max for slightly better tanking gear.

Currently, we are pretty much the only hybrid class that really can't apply a hybrid playing style. Retadins and Enhancement Shamans both have the possibility of healing themselves in a) their dps 'form' without having to shift or something like that b) get instant heals through procs and c) have a significant amount of spellpower so that their heals actually mean something.

While we do get some healing power through nurturing instincts it still feels to me that healing yourself IN combat is a lost cause as a feral. So unless that does change somehow, i don't see any reason why i should need any int on my gear.

You won't go oom from shifting with -80% shiftcost and an occasional cyclone doesn't really cost much mana.

Can't apply a hybrid playing style? We're the one class in the game that can reasonably both tank and DPS with the same spec and the same gear set. Will a bear spec do very impressive cat DPS and vice versa? No, but enhancement shaman and ret paladins do pretty pathetic healing too (Not counting the current Judgement of Light of course). We're a tank/DPS hybrid, they're a DPS/heal Hybrid, but there's no way you can claim ferals do not have a hybrid possibility.

Can't apply a hybrid playing style? We're the one class in the game that can reasonably both tank and DPS with the same spec and the same gear set. Will a bear spec do very impressive cat DPS and vice versa? No, but enhancement shaman and ret paladins do pretty pathetic healing too (Not counting the current Judgement of Light of course). We're a tank/DPS hybrid, they're a DPS/heal Hybrid, but there's no way you can claim ferals do not have a hybrid possibility.

Sorry that i didn't make clearer that i was refering to a PvP situation and i meant healing / dps hybrids. You are right that you can both use Tank and DPS, so in that department we can play hybrid.

However, you won't ever need int on your gear to play bear/cat hybrid, iLotP should more than adequately cover the shifting costs - the only way to spend considerably more mana and thus need int is by either healing or nuking.

Yes, there is, Rawr. However, I suggest you wait a few hours, we're releasing a big new version with support for level 80 in just a few hours. I'll post here when it's up.

Another difference between bear charge and cat charge is that Feral Charge - Cat doesn't put you into combat (not sure if is intended or bug). It is a bit anonying when i was farming low level mob for timbermaw rep, kitty charge to a mob and see them still walking away in daze ignoring you.

I actually made a macro as follow ~

/cast feral charge - cat

/stopattack

/cast prowl

/cast pounce

Hit the macro twice fast and you can get a quick kitty charge+stun combo if you start as non stealth and not in combat, might be useful in arena too.

It was designed that way on purpose, as it allows you to catcharge and use an opener while stealthed.

If it put you/target in combat the second you charged your stealth would break and you couldn't use the opener.

It was designed that way on purpose, as it allows you to catcharge and use an opener while stealthed.

If it put you/target in combat the second you charged your stealth would break and you couldn't use the opener.

Due to travel time of the charge though it comes off rather clunky. Often by the time I am at the mob they have moved forward out of my hit box. Plus with the dazed effect the person knows you are there (PvP issue) and doesn't last long enough to be useful in my experience. It's a good deal less useful than shadowstep as well due to the min distance problem. Design wise it makes some sense but I don't see the cat version as a charge as much as a pounce (name already take of course) which to me would make no difference on distance or if you are facing the target.