Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neruse

WotLK Talents & Abilities Discussion

5087 posts in this topic

Ok, i have a real confusing question for me and the hunter's in my guild. We all were basically bm and used the same macro(basically). I can't put out the same dps in either mm or bm now and im looking for maybe a new shot rotation/macro i can use and give to other hunter's in my guild. Granted were not in as far as some of you guys in raiding, so our gear isn't the same but i feel with the gear i do have i should put out alot more then i am. Anything you guys have would be great!!!!!

I kinda have the same problem. My equipment is not the worst, but I`ve never been able to surpass more than 2200 or 2300 dps and that was on Teron Gorefiend. Usually my dps is only around 1800 or 2k. Even on Brutallus all i got was ~1.9k (pet was bugged and wouldn`t attack). All the other hunters in my guild with equal or better gear are not doing anymore dps than me either.

So when people post wws stats of them doing 3k ... 3,5k or even more dps I wonder what i`m doing wrong.

Maybe I can briefly layout what I´m basicly doing during dpsing:

The target gets a talented Huntersmark. I use my AP-trinket and fire Serpentstring, then start with CS and do a cycle of steadyshot/aimedshot till my CS is ready again, rinse and repeat. My pet is a scorpid and I use a castsequencemacro for Killcommand (propably could squeeze out a little more dps when I use it solely for applying the scorpid poison though).

Major Agility/agility food/the regular raidbuffs are up all the time and Rapidfire/Readyness is used whenever I can too. So even while not doing everything the optimal way, how can there be such a huge gap in dps on so many fights? :-(

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Aimed Shot. You'll probably get a lot more DPS if you do something like,

serpent>chimera>steady until Chimera's CD is up, and then rinse and repeat. I haven't tried BM since the patch, so I really don't know (I've never been a BM fan and couldn't wait til MM was viable again), but that's worked for me so far.

well... u are marks, marks is worse for dps than BM, Aimed shot is a waste of mana and time and improved hunters mark is not worth its costs at lvl 70 no matter how you look at it...

Brutallus is the classic tank'n'spank fight, but since pets get bugged it's impossible at least for me to reach the old 3ks, 1900 is way too low for a marks hunter without pet, try other shot rotations with target dummys, they are quite usefull, numbers wont match because of target buffs and raid buffs, but most of them scale proportionally; and the last thing, use Demonslaying elixirs on Brutallus, it will boost ur dps.

I also recommend to use viper sting and CS for mana regen instead of aotv, and to use trinkets at the same time u use RF since thanks to ur spec RF have a 3m CD. There maybe more things since i've not mastered MM, but my numbers were similar on the lvl70 dummys when practicing alone (this is without buffs).

well... u are marks, marks is worse for dps than BM, Aimed shot is a waste of mana and time and improved hunters mark is not worth its costs at lvl 70 no matter how you look at it...

Brutallus is the classic tank'n'spank fight, but since pets get bugged it's impossible at least for me to reach the old 3ks, 1900 is way too low for a marks hunter without pet, try other shot rotations with target dummys, they are quite usefull, numbers wont match because of target buffs and raid buffs, but most of them scale proportionally; and the last thing, use Demonslaying elixirs on Brutallus, it will boost ur dps.

I also recommend to use viper sting and CS for mana regen instead of aotv, and to use trinkets at the same time u use RF since thanks to ur spec RF have a 3m CD. There maybe more things since i've not mastered MM, but my numbers were similar on the lvl70 dummys when practicing alone (this is without buffs).

Aimed shot is a DPS gain in a barrage build in all but very long fights, though a max single-target dps build doesn't take barrage. That's assuming you're getting BoW, JoW and replenishment, missing one of those makes mana more valuable.

Imp hunters mark at 80 is worth the points if you're with 2 other hunters who don't have it either, the current top rank came at level 54, so yes, it's awful right now.

And the one buff that doesn't scale proportionately between dummies and raid is mana, or specifically time-to-oom. If you go oom in a minute against a dummy, expect it to take 4 when you've got BoW + replenishment + JoW, that's a lot of mp5 and mp5 scales your time to oom incredibly well. Because of that you don't actually spend a massive proportion of your time in viper as MM. serpent plus chimera sting makes up 12-15% of MM's personal dps. on top of that, using viper sting costs you one in 12 (assuming a CS->6xSS rotation) steady shots, since viper sting doesn't last long enough for you to keep it up constantly. You're going to need something like 30% viper time for that kind of permanent dps loss to be an acceptable cost for mana return, and that's assuming it'd eliminate viper use completely.

Can anyone confirm if 3.0.3 fixed or did not fix the issues with leaving Auto Attack/Auto Shoot unchecked and auto-shot? There were about 6 pages of discussion that seemed to just stop around the release of the patch, but it didn't seem like a definitive conclusion was ever reached.

I'm still having this problem

I'm not O_o. First thing I did after upgrading to 3.0.3 was check and it seemed to be working fine

Well I think BM's poison tick would still be higher as the pet has much more +% damage modifiers.

Looking back at a bunch of previous wws, it appears my scorpid poison normally did ~700 average, ~950 max tick damage.

I believe the higher totals on my recent Brutallus indicate that the BM hunter's scorpid poison was actually doing damage, even if it was counting as my damage. My question would be then, is the scorpid poison from both pets being combined somehow? Or is only the higher damage tick (usually BM) counting?

Questions kindly answered by another hunter.

Thank you, Zeuxis. You've enhanced my understanding as well. I hadn't tried Aspect of the Beast and I'm already starting to clip my steadies (with DST, rolling drums and IAotH procs).

Been reading the thread for awhile now and it seems people are still on the rocks about using Aimed shot in raids. I still think its primarily a pvp think IMO, but we'll have to see. But i was thinking about using a build similar to this:

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Hunter -> Talent Calculator

I went all the way into Aspect Mastery in the BM cuz of the bonuses, namely Aspect of the DRagonhawk. In the MM tree i took focused aim because i would be under hitcap until i got better Naxx gear. I skipped over Imp arcane shot even though for some reason i'm in love with the 15% more damage. And i took barrage for the volley and multi damage bonuses since Naxx has alot of multiple mob trash. The Surv talents i took were IMO the necessary talents: imp tracking, hawkeye, and survival instincts. I'll be shifting through Surv and MM throughout WOTLK (we already have 2 dedicated BM hunters) so i can get a feel for the ins and outs of every spec. Just wanted to see what people on the forum thought of my mapped out spec and what contructive advice they could offer.

Been reading the thread for awhile now and it seems people are still on the rocks about using Aimed shot in raids. I still think its primarily a pvp think IMO, but we'll have to see. But i was thinking about using a build similar to this:

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Hunter -> Talent Calculator

for level 80......any thoughts or opinions on that? I like the imp arcane talent but seeing as how i'd only use when i'm on the move or need a quick shot i didn't think the 3 talent points were worth it. Lemme know what you guys think.

There's something wrong with the talent calculator you have there. Its displaying the right icons but the wrong tool tips...

Could just be me?

New idea for BM-levelling spec, 70-80 :

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Finish this off with the rest of Mortal Shots, Rapid Killing, and Efficiency.

The idea is too have as little downtime as possible... and Kindred Spirits is not needed because I plan to be using Aspect of the Cheetah all the time.

Thoughts?

The idea is too have as little downtime as possible... and Kindred Spirits is not needed because I plan to be using Aspect of the Cheetah all the time.

Thoughts?

If you are planning to be running Aspect of the Cheetah all the time, why bother with Improved Aspect of the Hawk?

Thoughts?

More pet damage = less shots fired = less mana spent. Therefor Kindred Spirits is worth picking up.

Staying in Cheetah 100% is a lot more questionable. Leveling as BM, it's trivial to kill one mob in viper and return yourself to full mana anyway, so why waste points in efficiency as well? You'd get more benefit sitting in beast or hawk and speccing properly.

Hey all.

I've got a question on the use of explosive shot after LNL procs.

What I'm doing right now is expl-multi-expl-steady-expl, replacing multi/steady with whatever seems appropriate, e.g. hunter's mark, serpent sting, etc.

What I was wondering was if it would be more efficient, or powerful, or whatever word with which you wish to describe it, if I just spammed explosive shot and clipped the 3rd blast of both the 2 free shots. In the mini-diagrams I've done while terribly bored in school, I still get off the same number of shots of each whichever way I do it, but I use a slight bit more mana if I clip the final blasts.

Any thoughts, or does it even really matter?