Nakari

World of Warcraft - Lore & Storyline discussion [SPOILERS]

10763 posts in this topic

Anduin dying (or thought to be dead) would drive Varian into a complete rage. Even if he retains his more balanced perspective that he obtained as of late, he will be gunning for Garrosh, which means any horde in his way are fair game.

Only semi-facetiously: he needs excuses to go into a complete rage? I don't read the books/comics/etc, so please forgive me any information I'm likely missing, I'm of the (mistaken) opinion that we should be able to understand everything game-related just by playing (external sources being polish and addition, not puzzle pieces missing from the middle of the picture). To what 'balanced perspective that he obtained as of late' are you referring? In-game all I ever see are 'Emo rage', 'not talking, so just assume I'm angry, you're probably right, and 'things are going my way at the moment' with nothing inbetween. Any quest interaction has been 'Angry, go kill/do X for me', and between quests it's 'go away, I'm busy' brushoff text. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if the books portray him as a more balanced and rounded individual, I just have not seen any such progression in game.

Just think to the MoP cinematic. Yes, he's a concerned father, good for him, but he doesn't seem to care that he lost most of a fleet of ships and all the brave sailors on them. He's a king. He can't put even his family legacy before the nation. That's the responsibility of the job, ignoring it puts him on the level of countless petty dictators (interested in the power/wealth aspect, screw the populace) - not something that portrays a balanced perspective.

As to resurrection - it's a mechanic that breaks lore for us (and most NPCs) for gameplay reasons, but for named NPCs that die as part of an organized event (as opposed to walking loot bags of all persuasion), death is supposedly non-recoverable. Open that door even once and it swings wide enough to let trucks drive through past/present/future plot holes about why important/powerful individuals are still dead.

I'm surprised no one has put forward one possibility:

The soundfiles are all part of a possible future. One of those 'if you don't take action, this could happen' spirit visions our characters seem to enjoy (or maybe we just like the drugs). If we don't do X (take down Garrosh?), Anduin will die, Garrosh will gloat, Jaina will be sad, etc.

To what 'balanced perspective that he obtained as of late' are you referring?

In the Knaak book, Wolfheart, Varian, with the help of Genn Greymane, undergoes the worgen 'initiation rite' and he saw how his anger and rage was ruining his life and relationship with his son and he learns to control his rage, harness it and not let it rule his life and decision making processes (for a Knaak book, it wasn't half bad).

I agree that one should be able to just play the game and not have to read books and such to get their lore material. The fact that there was no quest or anything in-game that showed Varian’s change meant that if one did not read the book, one would not know about it,which kind of disappointing as I think it helps to have Varian as a more tempered leader rather than just a one sided rage machine.

Well Varian (ingame) did let Saurfang grab his son's body and gave his respects.

Getting back to the game again, the Vol'jin model update (and the fact there is a book about him) more or less cements the fact he will probably be the next warchief after we get rid of Garrosh. The question I have, though, is although the Horde has a warchief, usually each race has it's own leader. Most of the warchiefs have been orcs, so the fact a troll may now be warchief makes ones wonder who the orcs will appoint as their leader?

It's pretty clear Thrall won't come back to lead them (otherwise everyone, including Vol'jin, would probably let him take the mantle). The only clear replacement I see (for a mix of leadership + battle prowess) would be Saurfang.

Assuming the doomguard is telling the truth, it's a rather interesting thought that they used to be enforcers of forbidden magic usage for the Titans and that most demons in the Legion are kept in line by magic addiction.

They have been pushing the Anduin character too hard to just cheaply kill him off. He was a key character in the comics of early wrath, the shattering novel and if my understanding is correct in the jaina novel too. Anduin is being shaped into a main character and I hope they dont just use him as a catalyst to the war.

Well, maybe they just like Song of Ice and Fire :)

As for Vol'jin, there is a datamined quest where he, badly wounded and poisoned ask player to search for Thrall and liberate Echo isles from Kor'kron occupation.

most demons in the Legion are kept in line by magic addiction.

That was a known fact (demons as magic-eating junkies) for a long time. That was the original motivator for the Legion in fact : invade worlds to devour their magic.

That was a known fact (demons as magic-eating junkies) for a long time. That was the original motivator for the Legion in fact : invade worlds to devour their magic.

Well, that, and the whole 'eradicate all life and destroy the order created by the Titans'. But yeah, the om nom nomming of magic certainly helps. Speaking of which, I wonder how many expansions we'll go through before we finally see Sargeras in all his glory?

Well, that, and the whole 'eradicate all life and destroy the order created by the Titans'. But yeah, the om nom nomming of magic certainly helps. Speaking of which, I wonder how many expansions we'll go through before we finally see Sargeras in all his glory?

The wrathion questline seems to be about preparing azeroth to repel the legion (he shows the globe with fel fire looking asteroids zooming towards it and wants to end the horde v alliance conflict fast so we are ready for what is to come)

MMO Champ posted some more dialogue from 5.1. The Varian bits are interesting. Some of the dialogue makes it unclear if Anduin is dead or just really badly hurt (He requests Velen get there ASAP). He also scolds Jaina for screwing up his plans on getting the Blood Elves to rejoin the Alliance after her stunt in Dalaran.

There was new Vol'jin dialogue datamined, looks like there is an attempt on his life (possibly on Garrosh's orders?).

Also he is getting a new model and new VA (not Metzen for once).

Thread hasn't been active for awhile, but recent datamining on MMO-Champ shows that one of the models for the new Throne of Thunder raid is what appears to be a wounded/damaged Titan Watcher.

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2013/january/TitanCaptured.jpg

According to the dungeon journal

"Lei Shen's life changed forever when he stumbled into a dark chamber below what are now the Mogu'shan Vaults. Legend has it he found an ancient titan keeper guarding a miraculous device known as the Engine of Nalak'sha. No one knows what transpired between the two beings, but Lei Shen later emerged from the site bristling with the power to forge an empire. The keeper's fate -- and his current whereabouts -- remain a mystery."

Given what we now know about MSV and what we see of the watcher's model, the watcher was no doubt defeated. However, it would make sense that the Mogu might have kept him alive, perhaps as a means of extracting information. I imagine repurposing Titan technology isn't the most easy thing in the world if you don't understand it's working.

Supposedly he is the heroic "bonus boss", much like Alg back in Uldar.