Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shandara

WotLK DPS spreadsheet

4354 posts in this topic

But of course, a lot of the work that would go into a spreadsheet for 4.0.1 should be (relatively) easily transferable to a spreadsheet for full-blown Cata - even if the numbers are adjusted, the general algorithms should stay the same. So yes, while we don't need a spreadsheet for 4.0.1, the work isn't wasted. Anyway, any work Shandara puts in is greatly appreciated by all of us here, I'm sure.

Regarding the reforging question... How would the spreadsheet handle that? As of all the previous versions, I'm fairly certain (correct me if I'm wrong) that it was just getting raw item data from Wowhead.

I don´t think reforging by itself will be very difficult to implement. Basically it´s not so different from hand adjusting stats within certain constraints. What will be difficult if not impossible to do is optimizing for it automatically. As far as I can tell optimizing gems used to be tricky alreadyl, reforging is taking that to a new level.

I would imagine you could handle reforging as an enchantment.

Every piece has several available reforges:

crit -> mastery

hit -> haste

etc.

when a mastery is selected it checks that the goal stat on the gear is zero, if so it takes 40% of the stat to get rid of and puts -X in that column and +X in the column of the goal stat.

How it would work with optimization...no clue. Similar to gems I would suppose, but I'm not entirely sure what kind of algorithm Shandara is using for optimization anyway. Simulated Annealing? Genetic Algorithms? Brute force? Iterative deepening search? A*? how easy reforging is to add, will probably depend heavily on the implementation.

Thanks so much for your hard work Shandara, throughout WotLK and beyond!

I'll be waiting patiently.

Reforging could be greatly simplified by doing it in the aggregate instead of item-by-item. Once the spreadsheet has calculated marginal DPS gain per point for each secondary stat, solve for the point at which the next best stat scales better (as in, "Haste is my worst stat and Mastery my best. If I stack mastery, at what point does crit get me more DPS per point?"). If that point is higher than what can be reached through reforging, recommend the player to reforge everything to the best secondary stat. If not, recommend the player reforge to that breakpoint and reforge the rest to the other stat.

In the interest of Cataclysm launching tonight we are going to close the current threads. I have sent a PM to the OP to see if they wish to continue their much appreciated work in the Cataclysm thread. Please look for it in the near future.