Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Praetorian

EJ's Remedial Education Program

63 posts in this topic

math is my hardest subject!

I can understand it but it takes me ages to do problems. It takes me an hour to do what is supposed to be a 10 minute assignment. It really causes me to freak out on tests because they're timed. :(

Solution - practice hard and practice often, the only way you'll get better.

As for mathematics & physics? pure and applied sciences... still science.

The only math that is hard is the math I never learned how to do. The rest is easy peasy.

EDIT: So that's like, Addition, Subtraction and Multiplication. That long division gets me everytime.

A=b

2A=ab

2A-2b=ab-2b

(a+b)(a-b)=b(a-b)

a+b=B

b+b=B

2b=b

2=1

Wrap your heads around that one! Muahaha

Spoiler:

Dividing by zero is naughty

If a = b,

2a = a + b not a*b

:eng101:

I think his 2A and 2b notation means A^2 and b^2 respectively. That's the way this proof is supposed to go anyways.

here i will disprove something for you, too:

september was not a year ago

You're wasting time explaining things to Sheepy. :o

If a = b,

2a = a + b not a*b

:eng101:

a * a = 2 * a = 2a

thus

a * a = a * b (since a=b)

and

2a = ab

The trick is elsewhere!

(as deenogger mentioned)

For those of you who really still are remedial:

(a+b)(a-b)=b(a-b)

a-b = a-a = b-b = 1-1 = 257-257 = 0

I think I saw that for the first time on some Hopkins CTY test or something like 9 years ago in middle school... I just stared at it for like 10 minutes and then went Ohhhhhhhh duh I'm slow.

After doing a shitload of math in school, I am now seeing that an engineering job really only requires basic math. And even then, Start->run->calc.

Think about that while you slave over integration and Fourier transforms and shit. IT'S WORTHLESS. YAY.

No way, Fourier transforms are awsome for impressing your friends with knowledge of complex formulas and making really lame jokes about convolution.

That long division gets me everytime.

I dislike polynomial long division in extreme cases.

After doing a shitload of math in school, I am now seeing that an engineering job really only requires basic math. And even then, Start->run->calc.

Think about that while you slave over integration and Fourier transforms and shit. IT'S WORTHLESS. YAY.

I started roofing houses with my father as a side-job when I was 14 to help ends meet. One day, I was ripping off an old roof and he was doing math on some materials. I was like, "What is that? Is that Calculus?" He was like, "Yep." I asked him if he ever used advanced math in his real job and he thought about it...then said nope.

"So you wrench on airplanes and fly all day on basic math concepts...but if you wanna roof a house in efficient manner, it takes calculus?". We looked at each other for a few seconds and then I was like "I'll be damned..." cause I didn't figure anyone used that crap outside of a lab or classroom at all.

Well, to be fair, Physics is basically just Math.

Biology is really Chemistry

Chemistry is really Physics (sup thermodynamics)

Physics is really Math.

Now, if I could get over the whole dissecting live animals thing, I might be able to have that Chemistry degree I set out for eleven years ago.

Good luck with that.

Sat my finals last year and about to have my viva for my MChem.

I dislike polynomial long division in extreme cases.

Polynomial long division is very useful if you're studying ring theory!

Do you find paintings to be worthless? Also what does your engineering job involve?

a * a = 2 * a = 2a

thus

a * a = a * b (since a=b)

and

2a = ab

(as deenogger mentioned)

Let a = anything that's not 2. For example, let a = 6.

a * a = 6 * 6 = 36.

2a = 2 * 6 = 12.

Unless I'm missing something very very obvious, that's still a glaring problem, and the fact that you divide by zero is pretty much irrelevant. (not saying there isn't a legitimate proof that could be made to say 2=1 because you divide by zero, just saying, this ain't it.)

[sorry for the random bump. it was bothering me.]