Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boethius

[WotLK] Warrior: Simple Questions/Simple Answers

1691 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen a Glyph of Blocking, or Glyph of Last Stand? I have yet to see one, or hear about one on my server (herbs are stupid pricey though). Just making sure it actually exists in game.

The Glyph of Blocking is a discovery major. Since the mats are ridiculous and the discovery is on a 20hr cooldown, it really comes to luck on which servers are getting it first. I haven't seen it either on our server.

Inscription Research - Northrend Inscription Research - Spell - World of Warcraft

How big a deal is weapon speed?

Wanted: Ragemane's Flipper offers three tank-specific weapons as rewards. Looks to me like the axe has the best threat gen / farming stats, especially considering the orc racial...but it's really slow. I'm having trouble dumping rage with HS even with my current 1.6s weapon...not that I really need to, since I generally only lose threat when melee does something stupid.

Also: is Devastate normalized?

Weapon speed is a huge deal, the faster you can press Heroic Strike, the more damage you do, the more threat you do. Given two weapons of equal DPS for a Protection Warrior, the faster speed will do more damage in the same period of time due to Heroic Strike. Out of those weapons, the mace is by far the best.

Devastate is normalized.

One questions I am not sure of yet is are the enchants like mongoose/executioner diminished like crusader was in BC? How are other new enchants compared to these two? Accuracy seems nice.

I believe they do diminish like most other rating and enchants do. I think the best enchants at the moment for DPS anyways is Berserking. I'm not 80 so have not tested proc rate to see if using 2x Berserking is better or worse than Berserking on MH and Massacre on OH.

Weapon speed is a huge deal, the faster you can press Heroic Strike, the more damage you do, the more threat you do. Given two weapons of equal DPS for a Protection Warrior, the faster speed will do more damage in the same period of time due to Heroic Strike. Out of those weapons, the mace is by far the best.

Devastate is normalized.

Precisely. I have two different swords, 1.6 speed 111 dps and a 2.6 speed 130 dps. I prefer using the 1.6 far more than the 2.6 for more consistent rage generation and when I get into less rage starved situations the heroic strike spam is significantly more threat.

I believe they do diminish like most other rating and enchants do. I think the best enchants at the moment for DPS anyways is Berserking. I'm not 80 so have not tested proc rate to see if using 2x Berserking is better or worse than Berserking on MH and Massacre on OH.

I think Massacre on OH is pretty much unbeatable, but i'm not quiet sure about the MH enchant.

It really depends on the PPM of Berserking, since it would average out at:

1 PPM and assuming 14k armor (mentioning the downscaling of berserking with the -25% armor debuff while gaining the benefit of AttT and adding imp. Berserker Stance (+10% AP) = ~94 AP

or more like 1,5 PPM = ~140 AP

Massacre is a flat 110 AP (+11 AP imp. Berserker Stance) = 121 AP

so it really depends on the PPM imho

The resilience/defense and Blood Craze is actually an interesting topic

So facts:

1) Resilience absorbed crits still proc Blood Craze

2) Defense absorbed crits . do not proc Blood Craze

However most people dont know the important result of those 2.

Mobs do not have 5% crit chance vs you like most people think. Sure in the end it seems so because:

a) Mob chance to crit = 5% base + 0.04xWeapon Skill = 5%+0.04*5*mlevel. For a 80 level mob that means its 5%+0.04*5*80% =21%

b) Your base "crit reduction" from defense = your TOTAL defense *0.04 = your lvl*5*0.04 - assuming you capped your defense. So its 16% reduction without any +defense gear.

21-16=5% - so yea its same as the common knowledge. However it has some implications.

Resilience reduction to crits comes on table BEFORE defense reduction to crits. Therefore when a lvl 80 toon RESILIENCE CAPPED toon is attacked by a lvl 80 mob the "combat table" is populated like this.

Mob base chance to crit = 21%. Resilience crit % reduction = 15%. Combat table gets "injected" with 15% "resilience reduced crits" . Then and only then defense comes to play - assuming no defense gear is used you have 16% further crit reduction - since the mob has only 6% chance to crit left that goes to 0, and rest of table is filled with hits and eventual dodge/miss/parry etc.

In the end it means the mob of your level has FIFTEEN % chance to proc Blood Craze on every hit. even though without resilience its chance to crit is only 5%.

In short

a) If crit immune - chance to proc Blood Frenzy = current resilience gear % crit reduction chance.

b) If not crit immune chance to proc Blood Frenzy = current resilience gear % crit reduction chance+final chance to crit.

So in the end putting resilience gear not only doesnt lower your chance of proccing Blood Craze, but in fact in many cases it INCREASES it drastically.

I don't think this is how it works. I was under the impression that your resiliance-proced effects was not actually related to the crit that was pushed off the combat table, but simply a direct function of your resiliance.

In more detail: Resiliance does not actually convert a crit into a pseudo-crit on the combat table. It converts a crit into a non-crit, and separately gives a chance to proc on-crit effects. If you have 16% crit reduction from resiliance, this gives you a 16% chance on incoming non-crit to proc crit-related effects for all effects. This is a flat percent and not affected by the incoming effect. Effects that are hard-coded not to crit (for example, Deathcoil) are capable of procing this. Other effects that had a less-than-16% base crit chance (for example, SL-SL warlock nukes have around 10% in PvP gear) have all of their crit removed, which is only a 10% reduction, and yet still give 16% chance to proc crit-related effects.

This was discovered as a result of having odd effects due to hit and crit not being the only results on the combat table. For example imagine you have 75% avoidance, 15% resiliance, and are hit with an effect with 25% crit chance. If resiliance was a pseudocrit effect, then every actual hit would proc your on-crit effect, since all 25% of the hits would have been crits pre-resiliance. This was found not to be the case, every non-crit still only has a 15% chance to proc. This also provides a means of testing to make sure that what I'm saying is still the case. I haven't heard of this being changed, but it's also not the sort of thing that's easy to notice.

I've been tanking a lot of heroics and 10-mans lately, and a lot of pulls require AOE tanking.

I was never a tank pre-LK so I don't know if I'm doing things right.

In a general pull I would:

Pull -> T-Clap -> Demo/Auto-attack -> SS/Rev/Dev/Dev rotation -- (Shockwave somewhere in there, situation depending)

Because I usually have so much rage, I'd cleave in between each special if there are 2 or more mobs (rage permitting), HS when it's single target. I re-apply T-Clap and Demo Shout whenever they're about to expire, but that's it.

Should I be T-Clapping more often? Or is Cleave a better use of rage?

I've been tanking a lot of heroics and 10-mans lately, and a lot of pulls require AOE tanking.

I was never a tank pre-LK so I don't know if I'm doing things right.

In a general pull I would:

Pull -> T-Clap -> Demo/Auto-attack -> SS/Rev/Dev/Dev rotation -- (Shockwave somewhere in there, situation depending)

Because I usually have so much rage, I'd cleave in between each special if there are 2 or more mobs (rage permitting), HS when it's single target. I re-apply T-Clap and Demo Shout whenever they're about to expire, but that's it.

If there are more than two then Thunderclap is definitely a better choice, if there are exactly two then it's close. Personally I use thunderclap so that I have more rage available to do other things. On aoe pulls I pretty much Tclap every time it's off cooldown.

I think Massacre on OH is pretty much unbeatable, but i'm not quiet sure about the MH enchant.

It really depends on the PPM of Berserking, since it would average out at:

1 PPM and assuming 14k armor (mentioning the downscaling of berserking with the -25% armor debuff while gaining the benefit of AttT and adding imp. Berserker Stance (+10% AP) = ~94 AP

or more like 1,5 PPM = ~140 AP

Massacre is a flat 110 AP (+11 AP imp. Berserker Stance) = 121 AP

so it really depends on the PPM imho

Assuming 14000 armour unbuffed and discounting any AP modifiers such as Imp. Berserker Stance, you will gain 233.3 AP from AttT. Now assume you have one Berserking proc up your armour will be reduced by 25%, or 3500. This translates to an AP loss from AttT of 58.3, so you have a net gain of 341.7 AP from the proc. In other words, you gain 85.4% of the normal effect..

If you have two procs up at the same time, you will lose 7000 armour and hence 116.7 AP resulting in a net gain of 683.3 AP, which is again 85.4% of the normal effect. However these calculation all assume that the armour reduction affects AP from AttT at all.

I was wondering if someone had a good PVE leveling spec for levels 67-70. I see so many different fury and arms builds but no one explains how to play them. I have no experience playing these builds and have no idea what the rotation is.

Currently I am leveling using a prot build using the devastate, revenge, shield slam, heoric strike combos with sword and board. It is working quite well but wanted to see if other builds will make me go through mobs faster

Thanks

Fury <20% range.

Hi there, I recently switched to a warrior main before the xpac came out and ejoyed my exploits as an arms warrior. But now that I've reached 80 and have attained my soft hit cap for Titan's Grip I am currently enjoying a fury spec 18/53/0. I know there was more talk about execute with the Arms spec due to the Sudden Death procs that would let you use execute at any time during the fight, I also read and became aware of when it was most efficient to actually execute <50 rage type scenarios. My question is for fury execute range, what is the best skill rotation. Personally, I am leaning towards a high damage/relatively low rage cost "Whirlwind > Execute" unless you do happen to get a spike in rage then Whirlwind > BT > Execute. Any thoughts on this?

Accuracy by itself is quite a bit more powerful an enchant than Massacre. However, it requires you not be hit capped, and it only has 50 itemization points vs the 55 on Massacre. If you were to gem entirely for the equivalent hit/crit in your items while getting Massacre on your weapon, you'd come out ahead on budget.... except that gemming for str and getting Accuracy actually means that that str with BoK comes out to the exact same AP. If however that crit and hit are both more than 1 SEP, then getting Accuracy on your OH and gemming for crit/hit cap will be the better choice.

So... in the end, just don't disqualify Accuracy from your list of enchants, it'll be entirely on a case-to-case basis which one is your best choice at the time.

Either rage dump (cleave or SS) is good for damage but they're neither great for multimob threat. TC is a nasty threat gen and surprisingly high damage; it's a fantastic use of rage and Shockwave is even better.

Remember: at the start of the pull, you want to get as much threat as you can on all targets, so they don't pull off you and massacre your healers. Shockwave has big numbers and thus should be used early, however its long cooldown also means it shouldn't be wasted. Thus you want to pull the mobs in a little, so they're in range, and then maneuver them so as many as possible are within SW range. If there are any nukers in the pack, you'll want to center SW on them, since they aren't going to move to you of their own accord..

I pull packs thusly:

Charge the caster -> T-clap -> Demo while moving backwards about 5 paces to collect mobs in forward cone -> Shockwave -> (Priority cycle)

Trash priority looks like this:

- SW if up and more than 2 mobs

- TC if up and more than 2 mobs

- SS if up

- Revenge if up

- Dev or Demo or Conc. Blow, whatever needs done

This gives me so much AoE threat I rarely need to tab off the burn target. YMMV, depending on your dps' output you might swap priority of TC and SS. I generally pick HS over cleave because GoR and GoHS mean that just about half my HS are cheap as free.

I see so many different fury and arms builds but no one explains how to play them. I have no experience playing these builds and have no idea what the rotation is.

Someone please correct any incorrect statements I make.

I've played a lot of Rend/OP Arms over the last month. I find that my best results at 70 involved what is basically a priority queue a la BC Shadow Priests:

1. Keep Rend up on the target
  2. Keep Bladestorm on cooldown
  3. Keep Mortal Strike on cooldown
  4. Hit Overpower when Taste for Blood procs, unless Sudden Death is up, in which case Execute then Overpower.
  5. Slam when over 50 rage.
  6. Execute when Sudden Death procs.

Basically you want to be sure to be as rage efficient as possible. 50 rage is enough to Mortal Strike, Rend, and Shout, by which time you should have another white hit to refill your bar. I'm very leery of Heroic Strike for this reason; HS with a single 2-hander costs far too much on the lost white hit.

Solo, I've played looser since you have incoming rage from damage taken. I've also had a lot of success with wearing my tank set and spamming the hell out of Revenge while Tclap and Shield Slam are down. It's a very effective way to deal with crowded areas like Thor Moden, and it's possible to mount up and ride through without being dazed off your mount.

Fury I haven't tried since 3.0, but the bit of reading I've done indicated a BT-WW-BT rotation that had 3 spare GCDs and change.

I've been trying to find an upgrade for DST and ran into two similar trinkets. How would I go upon calculating an on use and equip effect?

If I'm correct, a very rough estimate would be: On Use Effect * Uptime / Cooldown

This would make:

Fezzik's Pocketwatch - 60 Haste Rating and 54 Attack Power

First Mate's Pocketwatch - 23 Haste Rating and 88 Attack Power

Is this correct?

Accuracy by itself is quite a bit more powerful an enchant than Massacre. However, it requires you not be hit capped, and it only has 50 itemization points vs the 55 on Massacre. If you were to gem entirely for the equivalent hit/crit in your items while getting Massacre on your weapon, you'd come out ahead on budget.... except that gemming for str and getting Accuracy actually means that that str with BoK comes out to the exact same AP. If however that crit and hit are both more than 1 SEP, then getting Accuracy on your OH and gemming for crit/hit cap will be the better choice.

So... in the end, just don't disqualify Accuracy from your list of enchants, it'll be entirely on a case-to-case basis which one is your best choice at the time.

Glad you spoke of SEP, why is Blizzard simply doubling ratings such as crit / haste, which obviously lost like ~50% of their power from 70 to 80, and telling us they are on par with a flat dps increase like AP or strengh?

I cannot belive that a 16 crit gem is worth the same SEP as 16 strenght (and same with buffood, etc.).

I mean they almost cut off 50% of any rating effect, but didn't touch flat values like AP? Do rating effects scale SO much better in some way i'm not thinking of?

Really curious about that at the moment, and gemming AP everywhere i can, since i'm sure about the usefulness of this stat.

An offical SEP for warrior's would be much help on general itemisation. Anyone familiar with it?

I have recently starting raiding as a PVE arms warrior, and really have never done so before as i mostly pvp, and just had a few questions i was hoping to get answered.

1 - I've been told stat wise i should first aim to hit the soft cap of i believe 297 +hit, but after that i've been getting different directions on where to go, some people say gem crit over str, others say the other way around, and based on the only spreadsheet i know of (maxdps) their it said my dps increases the most with stacking ArP ( but im not so sure about that after what i hear was a nerf)

2 - Rotation wise to maximize dps just sitting in battle making sure rend etc is up proc'ing op, using SD, MS etc, is there a specific rotation or more so judgement based on current rage etc?

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks =P

That is, which of these scenarios (if either) is correct, using a 4.0 speed weapon:

0.0 Begin swing

2.0 Begin Slam

2.5 End Slam

4.0 Swing

or:

0.0 Begin swing

2.0 Begin Slam

2.5 End Slam

4.5 Swing

It's been said that second scenario is the correct one. In this case, is there any reason to wait for an autoswing, except rage generation? It looks like once ms/overpower/ww/rend are on cooldown, any remaining rage should be spammed on slam; so it's not a slam-ms-slam-ww/bs rotation any more, but more of a priority list. Is that right?

Quick question.

In what order should i prioritize stats? Crit, hit, str, agi, expertise, etc? (E.g. is it better to get to lose some str for expertise, etc etc) At the moment I’m fury with TG. But I’m thinking going arms. However, it would be helpful to know for all three specs.

Thanks!

TG: STR/Hit/Exp > Crit > Agi > ArP > Haste

ench: Mongoose or Berserking main / Massacre off maybe Berserking

The talent Improved spell reflection; Will it count as 1 charge for each partymember or if something is expended on someone else will it go away for you too? Like if you're expecting something big to spell reflect but a partymember gets something else first and you're toast. And any idea on the range on it? Will it affect raidmembers if 4 partymembers aren't closest?

Edit: Says first spell so guessing only 1 charge for entire group. Kinda shitty and double-edged I guess.

The talent Improved spell reflection; Will it count as 1 charge for each partymember or if something is expended on someone else will it go away for you too? Like if you're expecting something big to spell reflect but a partymember gets something else first and you're toast. And any idea on the range on it? Will it affect raidmembers if 4 partymembers aren't closest?

Edit: Says first spell so guessing only 1 charge for entire group. Kinda shitty and double-edged I guess.

No, other partymember's reflects will not consume your own reflect. All the talent does is apply the exact same Spell Reflect buff to nearby partymates in addition to yourself when you use the ability.

One thing that is irritating is the short range of the buff sharing -- 10-15 yards at most. It's best used in melee-heavy 5-man groups or in Malygos' phase 2.

The talent is worth it for the increased spell miss chance, if nothing else.

Has anyone seen a Glyph of Blocking, or Glyph of Last Stand? I have yet to see one, or hear about one on my server (herbs are stupid pricey though). Just making sure it actually exists in game.

I have an Inscriber and I can tell you that leveling right now is HORRIBLY expensive. You need to get a GOOD way into using Northrend herbs before you gain the "Major Inscription Research" which has the huge cool down. On my server there are only a small group of people who have done this. Like the minor glyphs, just wait a week or two and the market will be so flooded that people will be giving them away for basically mat costs.

If you have a guild inscriber and you can herb, do them a favor and go get a few stacks to take some of the load off.