Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosoo

Moonkin Raiding

3384 posts in this topic

Speaking of the Crit (soft) cap...

I have been reading over the TTT and for the life of me, I cant figure out why is has the weird calculation for the cap:

Will all talents/buffs except Focus Magic, this occurs at 1575.5 - Int/3, where Int is your Armory value (1254.2 - Int/3 if using 2T8). Note that those values include crit rating from an Idol proc, so you'll probably want to subtract 200 or 220 to see how much you actually need from ordinary gear to hit the cap.

by my calculations, during a lunar eclipse we have 52% crit (+1% per point in IIS). Why do we need to do any math involving intellect? seems to me that the soft cap is simply 48% (minus points in IIS and crit from idol). am i wrong here? I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere.

http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t29453-combat_ratings_level_80_a/

166.7 int is 1% spell crit.

45.9 crit rating is 1% crit.

45.9*3 = 137.7 int on gear (this is your 1/3)

BoK 10%. IMotW 2%. Furor 10%

137.7*1.1*1.02*1.1 = 169.9 Int after talents and buffs. Slightly more than 1% crit.

Edit: Nitpick - IMotW should be removed from the calculations above. It is already included in your Armory Int. With that change, 3 int is almost exactly 1 crit rating.

AH! ok, so its because Buffs shift the absolute value of int, which in turn shifts the total crit. thanks for the explanation!

Edit: Nitpick - IMotW should be removed from the calculations above. It is already included in your Armory Int. With that change, 3 int is almost exactly 1 crit rating.

... So don't log out with MotW? Or simply click off all your buffs and look at your character sheet in caster form? An assumption has to be made, either that you have or do not have that buff, but given that we're assuming every single other buff is not present, the obvious answer is to assume MotW is also not there.

EDIT: Thanks Videl, I mistook what Erdluf said/meant. Please disregard this.

He said, and meant, IMotW, the talent, which increases all stats by 2%.

So many things are wrong with the current Moonkin system. My position has basically been, "just keep our DPS in the ballpark for now, worry about rebuilding the whole class in Cataclysm." It's the last tier, we can put up with all the silly behavior of NG and Eclipse and weaks DoTs a little longer; they can't fix it all on the fly anyway. I mean, maybe fixing one of the actual problems would have been better than buffing Starfall, but it doesn't matter too much either way.

Much as the current dot situation is frustrating, I'm really excited about getting a bonafide cooldown. It's annoying to me right now that if I want to burst on something right now I can bump my damage by maybe 20% (and I think that is really being generous) if I can pop trees and starfall, any benefit of which may easily disappear in the noise of my luck on eclipse.

I agree with Videl, nobody seems to be looking on the bright side of this. How many people hate switching to spikes on Lord Marrowgar? Pop Starfall and you'll smash them to bits. Cult mobs? Blood Beasts? Valkyr on the Lich King? This is a solid ICC buff.

yeah this buff will help us in both pve/pvp. We'll just have to deal with the inconsistancies of eclipse for the time being. The greatly inflated damage on ticks should give us a fair amount of increased burst especially in the fights listed above as well as Valinthra and Professor Putricide.

No one is discrediting the buff to Starfall. It's a complete PvE dps buff that changes nothing about what we do.

But that's the problem... it changes nothing and doesn't address the problems we have. It's nice to have a cool down, but it would be nicer to have a working class. Everyone knows Eclipse is broken. Even the developers have admitted this since the beginning of 3.3. The frustrations come in with the changes that don't actually fix the problem.