Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosoo

Moonkin Raiding

3384 posts in this topic

I will surely stick to 2/2 Gale Winds, Typhoon & Starfall as long as we are running Naxxramas -- Its a huge instance with quite alot of trash that can be aoe'd down - Sure noone cares what number you are on trash dps. But for speeding up instance clears, trash is usually what matters the most.

I will surely stick to 2/2 Gale Winds, Typhoon & Starfall as long as we are running Naxxramas -- Its a huge instance with quite alot of trash that can be aoe'd down - Sure noone cares what number you are on trash dps. But for speeding up instance clears, trash is usually what matters the most.

Agreed. At the very least I can't agree with EVER removing 2/2 Gale Winds if you care about anything other than your personal single target DPS number. The type of raider that thinks 'trash doesn't matter' also afk's through it and causes a two night clear to take three nights. You have more time for progression attempts if you clear bosses faster, most raid groups don't have unlimited time to play.

I've also had individuals in-game still thinking that our aoe dps was subpar compared to other aoe classes, and that we can't aoe on the move at all because we don't have arcane explosion. Typhoon is just so powerful and is really our new iconic spell; every single day I play I'm rewarded for using it properly. Hurricane is fully competitive with any other aoe class (It's also very useful when non-warriors are aoe tanking to apply pack-wide attack speed slow).

I don't feel Starfall is an easy pick in a spec where you need IFF but very doable when you can spec out of IFF.

I've also had individuals in-game still thinking that our aoe dps was subpar compared to other aoe classes, and that we can't aoe on the move at all because we don't have arcane explosion. Typhoon is just so powerful and is really our new iconic spell; every single day I play I'm rewarded for using it properly. Hurricane is fully competitive with any other aoe class (It's also very useful when non-warriors are aoe tanking to apply pack-wide attack speed slow).

I am literally destroying everyone in AoE, only locks come close and that is when you can stand still. Mages seem to be the worst off at the moment, on Gluth last night (which Typhoon absolutely owns on BTW!) our mages were whining about being OOM when I was on 50% mana with Innervate and Pot still available. Mana was a major AoE concern after the nerfbat on Moonkin form but since getting 80 and being able to spec a few points in the regen talents + OOC mana problems have been a thing of the past.

I think the trick with the AoE is forward thinking, you need to be able to guess where mobs are going and it helps if you know your tanks well.

I specced out of Starfall as IFF was needed as our SP's are failing at levelling but I don't really miss it and the damage it did was quite poor.

After playing a mage for three years and switching to Moonkin my biggest concern was AoE but I don't regret a thing.

I did Naxx 25 for the first time last night without 2/2 GW and I did end up regretting that choice. I was 3/3 Owlkin as a holdover from Sunwell, but I'll be dropping those 3.

I don't feel Starfall is an easy pick in a spec where you need IFF but very doable when you can spec out of IFF.

If I remember though from the LK preview discussion Starfall was worth more dps than 1 point in iIS (based on Erdluf's math/rankings that he did at some point assuming 2000 spell power). I believe that the second point in Eclipse was worth more than a point in iIS as well, so I'm thinking something like 56/0/15, but I could be wrong about that second Eclipse point.

What do people think of the spec below for level 80 raiding to start.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?druid=00000000000000000000000000000035003312000000000000000005132003105031333213305300031&glyph=061119050406

One slight change tho, take out starfall and the 1 pt in genesis and put those 2 pts in Nature's Reach

I can't view this while at work because of content filtering... *grumble, grumble*

But to me 1 pt in genesis is a waste of a point especially for 1% increased duration.

Erragal makes a great point here. I was one of those people who thought "trash didn't matter" and was planning to skip AOE talents completely but the combination of the discussion on those forums, the testimonials from people raiding already and my personal experience of using those talents have changed my mind completely.

We have became one of the best AOErs and those talents can help both speed up trash clearing time and help on boss encounters where adds are present.

Whilst I am still some way away from starting endgame, as I didn't have a lot of time to level, in my instance experience so far (cleared most of pre-heroic Northrend instances) Typhoon and Hurricane have been very useful. Typhoon especially is fantastic because of its instant high burst damage and buying a little extra time on "oh shit" situations thanks to pushback.

Alerian, the second Eclipse point should definitely be worth it.

Improved IS might be better than Celestial Focus, however the recent discovery of CF buff being multiplicative might turn the tables.

Ripuanewhole read the discussion in the talent thread - you are making some very bad choices.

Mages seem to be the worst off at the moment, on Gluth last night (which Typhoon absolutely owns on BTW!) our mages were whining about being OOM when I was on 50% mana with Innervate and Pot still available.

Mages that spec for Blizzard can do just as well as any AOE class, and do some things that no other class can. The problem for them is that they have to skip some single target DPS talents to really take advantage of it.

Fully talented Blizzard can be 60%+ crit in some situations, slow the targets to 15% movement speed, and periodically stun.

The way I have begun to handle eclipse and my dps rotation is a bit different than I have seen mentioned so far.

When Eclipse procs, you should always be already casting your next spell. If you are chain casting Starfires and Eclipse procs, then you will finish your next starfire before switching to wraths to make the most use of the proc. Similarly, if you are chain casting wraths then once Eclipse procs, you finish off your next wrath cast then switch to Starfires.

What I suspect is a more efficient way to handle Eclipse is to alternate wrath with SF until it procs, and because you are alternating you are already casting the best nuke when it procs and can continue to chain cast that spell until the buff duration is over. I haven't done extensive testing or TC modeling on it yet but it does make sense to me, if the values of SF and Wrath Eclipses are fairly similar in dps value.

As a second to what BEEF says, Blizzard is very powerful for Mages who spec for it now. Something that he didn't mention is that, fully talented, Blizzard applies Winter's Chill on every mob it hits, with every pulse of the spell. Combined with a Moonkin throwing Hurricane, the AoE potential of those classes is intense.

In that circumstance, Typhoon is also useful if a mob makes it out of the Blizzard, as it can push them right back into it. I must agree with those who find Typhoon an incredibly useful skill to have. I am extremely pleased with Moonkin AoE damage now, and it shines brightest in certain pre-80 dungeons.

My favorite move to date (still leveling) has been to use Starfall to pull all of the boss adds in Azjol-Nerub to me for a quick Hurricane burn-down.

What I suspect is a more efficient way to handle Eclipse is to alternate wrath with SF until it procs, and because you are alternating you are already casting the best nuke when it procs and can continue to chain cast that spell until the buff duration is over. I haven't done extensive testing or TC modeling on it yet but it does make sense to me, if the values of SF and Wrath Eclipses are fairly similar in dps value.

This is a very interesting thought. I'd be curious to see how this compares. I should hopefully start raiding next week. But if anyone could test this and provide some numbers that would be great!

Twisting wraths and starfires does sound interesting. That would make eclipse procs a little easier, assuming it doesn't matter which eclipse procs. Also if you're using the moonfire glyph, it should still give you the full duration extension except possibly when wrath eclipse procs.

Aside from "real world" testing, what is the current simulation that is being used?

Aside from "real world" testing, what is the current simulation that is being used?

I believe WrathCalcs and Rawr are using static estimates of the number of casts required to proc eclipse (at 40% crit, it takes an average of 2.5 SF to proc 3/3 Eclipse), and then adding an extra cast of the "wrong" spell to handle reaction time. Adjusting those calculations for "twisting" should not be too hard, but would be a bit time consuming.

Simulationcraft works off of a spell priority list. It is a simulator, and uses multiple runs to compute average statistics. It handles reaction times. If its priority list has any support for weaving, I don't know how to invoke it.

I believe WrathCalcs and Rawr are using static estimates of the number of casts required to proc eclipse (at 40% crit, it takes an average of 2.5 SF to proc 3/3 Eclipse), and then adding an extra cast of the "wrong" spell to handle reaction time. Adjusting those calculations for "twisting" should not be too hard, but would be a bit time consuming.

Simulationcraft works off of a spell priority list. It is a simulator, and uses multiple runs to compute average statistics. It handles reaction times. If its priority list has any support for weaving, I don't know how to invoke it.

Spell twisting would basically be an extra option in Rawr. It would be doable, but it would take quite a bit of time, and I'm honestly not sure about how big the benefit would be.

well, three real question as to the #s viability of twisting.

1) Is it better, worse, or similar DPS to twist or straight cast?(before the eclipse)

2) What is the difference between a wrath hit and an eclipsed starfire hit, and vice verse.(What's the gain for starting the eclipse proc with the buffed spell vs non-buffed)

3) Is the wrath or SF eclipse a better use of the cooldown? Or are they so close together it doesn't really matter?

These are the values you'd have to look @ to see if there is a benefit.(Other than that warm fuzzy feeling that you used the whole eclipse proc for it's benefit =P)

Regarding spell twisting, isn't Starfire-Eclipse a much bigger DPS increase than Wrath-Eclipse?

I am attempting to update my simulator for level 80. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find out how crit scales with intellect at level 80. At level 70 80 intellect provided 1% crit, but my druid is only level 77 so I don't have the final scaling at level 80. (it is clear that it isn't staying at 80 int per 1%). Anyone who knows this number? In addition, I'm not sure the base crit chance is still the same. It used to be that chance to crit = 1.85 + int/80 + critRating/22.08. I know that the critRating scaling goes to 45.91 at level 80, but I'm having a hard time with the rest of the formula. Looking at tooltips of druids at level 80 it looks like the formula is 1.8 + int/164.286 + critRating/45.91.

edit: I have found the answer here http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t29453-combat_ratings_level_80_a/

Question on rotations:

I've been tinkering with specs/rotations in Rawr quite a bit as we get started with WLK raiding. With my current setup (think it's not in Armory as I was Resto yesterday, but still mostly SWP gear), Rawr recommends a IS/MF/W rotation, which I'm going to try tonight.

Firstly, just to be clear, the "W" means, "Wrath to proc a Starfire-Eclipse, but still chain SF during the Eclipse CD," right?

What exactly is the right way to play this? After putting up MF and IS, do I cast 3 SF's to extend the MF fully ("risking" a Wrath-Eclipse)? Or jump straight into Wrath spam (risking letting the MF tick out before Eclipse procs)? Similarly, what's the deal with refreshing DoT's around Eclipse (since they frequently are falling off just as, or soon after, Eclipse procs)? Just ignore them until the Eclipse is over?

Finally, as anyone done the numbers on Wrathing during Bloodlust (which wastes some NG procs) to get a sweet Bloodlusted SF-Eclipse?

The way I have begun to handle eclipse and my dps rotation is a bit different than I have seen mentioned so far.

When Eclipse procs, you should always be already casting your next spell. If you are chain casting Starfires and Eclipse procs, then you will finish your next starfire before switching to wraths to make the most use of the proc. Similarly, if you are chain casting wraths then once Eclipse procs, you finish off your next wrath cast then switch to Starfires.

the problem with that I believe is the wrath + nature's grace problem. if you're wasting nature's grace procs on wraths, you're not using it to the fullest extent (except under eclipse, when wrath's increased damage outweighs the damage lost from haste), correct?

the problem with that I believe is the wrath + nature's grace problem. if you're wasting nature's grace procs on wraths, you're not using it to the fullest extent (except under eclipse, when wrath's increased damage outweighs the damage lost from haste), correct?

I was under the impression that the GCD-shortening effect of NG makes it perfectly workable with Wrath, except when under the effect of Bloodlust.

I was under the impression that the GCD-shortening effect of NG makes it perfectly workable with Wrath, except when under the effect of Bloodlust.

No. It still caps the GCD at 1s, so with any haste you're still going to have a cast time less than the GCD. It's just a lot better than previously, when the GCD stayed put at 1.5/haste.

My rotation is IS+MF as tank positions mob -> wrath to apply Earth & Moon fast -> Starfire untill Eclipseproc.

& after that a priority list :

* Eclipse up = Wrath.

* Dots off = Reapply.

* Starfire.

In some fights I wait with dots if theres a movement phase incomming (Fx Malygos Whirlwind / electricityshift at Thaddius).

Adding in trees & starfall, but thats very fight dependant.

Question on rotations:

I've been tinkering with specs/rotations in Rawr quite a bit as we get started with WLK raiding. With my current setup (think it's not in Armory as I was Resto yesterday, but still mostly SWP gear), Rawr recommends a IS/MF/W rotation, which I'm going to try tonight.

Firstly, just to be clear, the "W" means, "Wrath to proc a Starfire-Eclipse, but still chain SF during the Eclipse CD," right?

What exactly is the right way to play this? After putting up MF and IS, do I cast 3 SF's to extend the MF fully ("risking" a Wrath-Eclipse)? Or jump straight into Wrath spam (risking letting the MF tick out before Eclipse procs)? Similarly, what's the deal with refreshing DoT's around Eclipse (since they frequently are falling off just as, or soon after, Eclipse procs)? Just ignore them until the Eclipse is over?

Finally, as anyone done the numbers on Wrathing during Bloodlust (which wastes some NG procs) to get a sweet Bloodlusted SF-Eclipse?

Here's the way Rawr works: IS/MF/W casts those three spells. If you have the SF glyph, it inserts 3 SF casts, so the rotation becomes as follows: MF/SFx3/IS/W. If you proc Eclipse, there are two possibilities, depending on if you selected "Smart Switching" in the Options tab. If it is disabled, then yes, it will assume that you switch to Starfire when Eclipse procs. If it is enabled, then it assumes you will switch to Starfire when the Eclipse cooldown is up and attempt to force the Wrath Eclipse proc. As for refreshing DoT's around Eclipse, I can't honestly say what Rawr is trying to calculate there. I believe it most closely approximates not refreshing your DoT spells, though.

I love the idea about twisting Wrath and SF, has anyone done any numbers testing on this? But the idea seems very good in the fact that you gain more eclipse time with it.

From my testing yday I could find no clear numbers to go Wrath eclipse or SF eclipse. Its just to random. I think that this can be a nice way to get the best of both worlds.

/looks forward for some testing today.