Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

constantius

Raids & Healing in 3.0 (as a priest)

462 posts in this topic

That's correct: at some point between Wrath release and 3.0.8, they changed PoM to not proc off self-damaging things like Twilight Torment. I really noticed it a couple of weeks ago when I was healing the raid on Sarth+3.10, and we had some bad dps composition issues. The longer the fight took, the more I realized I wasn't healing for as much as I should. Checked the logs, and PoM was sitting on dps for 10 seconds as they died.

Seems to be only somethings. Like it does not proc off of Seal of Blood or Lifetap, but it does proc off of Shadow Word: Death. Wonder if that's a bug.

Seems to be only somethings. Like it does not proc off of Seal of Blood or Lifetap, but it does proc off of Shadow Word: Death. Wonder if that's a bug.

I think that gets changed in 3.1. SW.death won't proc it anymore. I read some blue post about it on MMO-champ a few weeks ago. Not sure why they're doing this though, they should just change it so it heals all damage, I don't get the problem? PvP balance?

I wouldn't mind so much, except I hate when my Prayer of Mending gets "trapped" on a Warlock or Paladin because they were Lifetapping or using Seal of Blood.

The arbitrary choice to not make it proc off self-damage is really stupid. If I go to the effort to cast it, it should heal, not sit trapped on a slowly dying warlock/ret paladin.

Making it proc off Lifetap or SoB would be abused in a raid environment. Pretty sure that's why not.

Making it proc off Lifetap or SoB would be abused in a raid environment. Pretty sure that's why not.

Please explain it, don't just make an arbitrary comment.

I've had our warlocks say "Tapping now can I grab a HoT". If they can be renewed, they should be able to be PoM'd it really is a silly mechanic.

Don't see how it'd be abused, it'd be nice to hit the lock and then move on to the tanks / melee dps which is who I intended it for anyway. Pretty frustrating to cast it on MT, watch it proc, bounce to lock, and sit there w/ 5 charges until it expires.

I've had our warlocks say "Tapping now can I grab a HoT". If they can be renewed, they should be able to be PoM'd it really is a silly mechanic.

Especially since locks and ret pallies with their often fluctuating health are the most likely to get it after a tank if they happen to be in range. The lack of PoM healing off of self damage is possibly so that they can control exactly the environment in which to pings constantly (such as Sapphiron) to better guess a balance for the spell. With a ret pally or lock in range always keeping it moving, the spell could perform better than expected in a non-AoE damage scenario. It is also possible they don't want the health consumption mechanics of ret and locks to be simplified by having them share PoM all the time, solving their problems/balance for a few GCDs. I don't find the second argument compelling, as Renew/Rejuv will do the same for an even longer period of time, even if their healing per tick is less than that of PoM (which is often going to just be overheal in the case of SoB/Lifetap). Or maybe they just wanted SW:D off my bar for good.

I personally don't find it that broken, but any of the above may be behind the change (though I really wish it still hopped from TT damage). I love the spell, but it getting trapped on someone that consumes health as part of their class/spec design is very irritating.

I love the spell, but it getting trapped on someone that consumes health as part of their class/spec design is very irritating.

The same goes for pets.

I hate having my ProM getting stuck on one since they have the 80% AoE avoidance. The darn thing usually sits there for the duration/cooldown. With more pets getting this avoidance it seems like it will get worse. I was kinda hoping they would change it so that when a pet avoided an AoE it would proc. I'd rather have a charged burned if it meant that ProM would move.

At least they fixed "A more powerful effect" for ProM. That would be truly irritating with the planed set bonus. (Though I can see renew still running into this problem.)

While falling damage can be renewed it doesnt proc PRoM. Its not just damage i suppose,its rather a mechanic of lowing down hp,literally.

This thread has served its purpose. The new one will include a solid suggestion to include WWS parses when asking questions, so we can see how parses look for other guilds and priests.