Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rinuu

Shadowpriest MODs Thread

97 posts in this topic

I'm using an addon called "Pawn" that breaks down equivillency ratings and base stats to give a piece of gear an overall value to make comparisons easier. I originally got this addon for my rogue, and I trust the values that were given in the rogue class forums on this site.

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this addon and if so, does anyone have some reliable equivilency ratings for hit capped, and non-hit capped SPriests? I've tried to do the math myself but my eyes are now bleeding, I have a headache and I am getting conflicting values from other sites.

Sorry for the QQ but this was the best place I could think of for this question.

I'm using an addon called "Pawn" that breaks down equivillency ratings and base stats to give a piece of gear an overall value to make comparisons easier. I originally got this addon for my rogue, and I trust the values that were given in the rogue class forums on this site.

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this addon and if so, does anyone have some reliable equivilency ratings for hit capped, and non-hit capped SPriests? I've tried to do the math myself but my eyes are now bleeding, I have a headache and I am getting conflicting values from other sites.

Sorry for the QQ but this was the best place I could think of for this question.

Hi... I'm also using Pawn and my story is similar to yours... started using it on my rogue and loved it. I found scales for both Hit capped and non-Hit capped.

Not Hit Capped

( Pawn: v1: "Shadow Priest": Intellect=0.19, RedSocket=19, CritRating=0.61, ShadowSpellDamage=1, MetaSocket=36.51, HitRating=1.12, HasteRating=0.56, BlueSocket=10.68, YellowSocket=13.91, SpellPower=1, Spirit=0.21, ColorlessSocket=19 )
Hit Capped
( Pawn: v1: "Shadow Priest - Hit Capped": Intellect=0.19, RedSocket=19, CritRating=0.61, ShadowSpellDamage=1, MetaSocket=36.51, ColorlessSocket=19, HasteRating=0.56, BlueSocket=10.68, YellowSocket=13.91, SpellPower=1, Spirit=0.21 )

these are the only ones i found... i'm not sure they are properly set but since i couldn't find others and i don't know how to make the maths, i'll acept them and use them for now.

if someone have sugestions, i'd appretiate them ;)

thanks

These are the values from the latest sample output on Simcraft

Keep in mind this is in DPS and not Psuedo Power

Priest_14_0_57

int=0.28 spi=0.33 spp=1.33 hit=1.71 crit=0.85 haste=0.63

Priest_14_0_57_NoSWD

int=0.26 spi=0.31 spp=1.36 hit=1.57 crit=0.84 haste=0.83

If you have some free time then it's best to run Simcraft yourself and get values based on your actual gear, but this is a bit more up to date.

What is the maximum precision you can use for:

if TargetDebuffExpires(VT 1 mine=1) # Suggests Vampiric Touch 1 sec before elapsed

Spell(VT doNotRepeat=1)

You can go to as low as one decimal (.1). There are new functions since the last release of Ovale where you can take haste into account.

Nice work Furism.

Thanks. The problem is not Ovale, I think, because I never noticed it getting a buff stack value wrong. I think that for some reason Mind Flay is bugged until you cast it once. Then it works fine. So it's bugged in the opener, but not in the subsequent casts.

I brought this up to the Ovale developer, but he's a moron (I'm saying this because he reads this thread) and hasn't checked why yet.

I made a little video showcasing EventHorizon. I honestly think this mod is capable of making any shadowpriest play better from my experience with it. Despite my enthusiasm for it I am horrible at describing what it does to other shadowpriests convincingly such that they might give it a try.

Very helpful video Dezzimal, I wasn't particularly interested in the mod before I saw your video, but I'll be giving it a test run in OS3 tonight.

Is it a somewhat simple mod to install?

There's basically zero configuration. There's just an anchor on the top right corner to move it around, and /eventhorizon toggles it on and off, and that's it (unless you want to edit the LUA files). The anchor is really small and only visible when you hover over it.

Personally, I didn't really like it. I'm going to keep trying it but it's really not doing anything different than what I was already doing in my head with cooldown counters and debuff filter. It may be *slightly* more accurate, but nothing that would really change for me beyond latency or haste, I think. I felt like it was distracting me from DPS, but I assume that would change if I used it more and actually took time to adjust to it, so we'll see.

There's basically zero configuration. There's just an anchor on the top right corner to move it around, and /eventhorizon toggles it on and off, and that's it (unless you want to edit the LUA files). The anchor is really small and only visible when you hover over it.

Personally, I didn't really like it. I'm going to keep trying it but it's really not doing anything different than what I was already doing in my head with cooldown counters and debuff filter. It may be *slightly* more accurate, but nothing that would really change for me beyond latency or haste, I think. I felt like it was distracting me from DPS, but I assume that would change if I used it more and actually took time to adjust to it, so we'll see.

I picked it up and DID like it, more than anything else I've ever used.

You're right, there wasn't much configuration, and the mod comes with SWD as one of the bars by default, but that was easily removed by opening and changing the LUA file.

Emphasis mine. That was kind of the idea for the addon: To do things that you would have to do in your head. "Will I have to cast MB,VT,SWD or MB,SWD,VT?" Of course you can find an answer to that question with a lot of addons, like DoTimer for example. But the bars don't help much, so you have to look at the different timers, compare those times to your cast time, compute differences in your head, etc. What I wanted for EventHorizon is to get answers to questions like that with just a quick glance at the bars. I wanted to spend less time looking at the interface, and spend more time looking out for Lava Strikes and Frost Blasts. So it's not really a matter of accuracy, it's more about how and what information is presented. And yes, it probably will take some time to adjust.

Anyways, your statement "it was distracting me from DPS" is worrying me quite a bit, because the addon is obviously supposed to help you with DPS. Could you elaborate a bit on what you found distracting? Maybe I should fine-tune the default config somehow to make it display less information for new users?

Anyways, your statement "it was distracting me from DPS" is worrying me quite a bit, because the addon is obviously supposed to help you with DPS. Could you elaborate a bit on what you found distracting? Maybe I should fine-tune the default config somehow to make it display less information for new users?

The thing is that it's always moving, which makes sense in the "guitar-hero" logic of it but is quite distracting overall. If your design goal is to provide a simple way to answer the question "what should I cast next ?" (plus maybe the spell to cast after that) then I think your addon does entirely too much.

The advantage of Event Horizon compared to something like facemelter is that it gives you a visual representation of cooldowns/dots and enables you to recast precisely. It's basically facemelter and dot timer in one. One question though: Is the dot timing accurate? Ie is it taken from the combatlog?

EventHorizon has nothing to do with FaceMelter. I don't believe in automated decision making, especially not when it's as oversimplified as a single, static priority list. Of course it's nice to have as a guide line, but it's not enough for me.

Anyways, I guess I wasn't very precise: EventHorizon itself doesn't answer the question "What do I have to cast next?" What it does is provide you with all the information (related to cooldowns/debuffs/etc) you need to answer that question yourself.

MassMan, past DoT tick times are taken from the combat log. However "accurate" and "precise" are two words that have almost no meaning in WoW, since the client has no way to know when stuff happened on the server.

Hi... I'm also using Pawn and my story is similar to yours... started using it on my rogue and loved it. I found scales for both Hit capped and non-Hit capped.

Not Hit Capped

( Pawn: v1: "Shadow Priest": Intellect=0.19, RedSocket=19, CritRating=0.61, ShadowSpellDamage=1, MetaSocket=36.51, HitRating=1.12, HasteRating=0.56, BlueSocket=10.68, YellowSocket=13.91, SpellPower=1, Spirit=0.21, ColorlessSocket=19 )
Hit Capped
( Pawn: v1: "Shadow Priest - Hit Capped": Intellect=0.19, RedSocket=19, CritRating=0.61, ShadowSpellDamage=1, MetaSocket=36.51, ColorlessSocket=19, HasteRating=0.56, BlueSocket=10.68, YellowSocket=13.91, SpellPower=1, Spirit=0.21 )

these are the only ones i found... i'm not sure they are properly set but since i couldn't find others and i don't know how to make the maths, i'll acept them and use them for now.

if someone have sugestions, i'd appretiate them ;)

thanks

Well the blue and yellow sockets are just wrong. Plain wrong. I mean offhand, a runed scarlet ruby has a value of 19, and can go in a red, blue, or yellow slot, so they're all the same.

The socket bonus should be added in if the only socket is red, but that's hard to code, just do that in your head (4 crit = 4*0.61, 5 Spellpower = 5, etc.).

I mean if you seriously didn't socket a runed scarlet ruby into a blue slot, I would have to hurt something. Currrently your armory is showing Heigan's vestments as unsocketed, but I'm assuming that's just the armory being screwed up as usual, for purposes of my sanity.

Well the blue and yellow sockets are just wrong. Plain wrong. I mean offhand, a runed scarlet ruby has a value of 19, and can go in a red, blue, or yellow slot, so they're all the same.

That's not how it works in Pawn. You should keep the correct (lower) values for yellow and blue gems. There's an option for gems in the profile. If you enable it Pawn will always put red gems in all sockets, no matter the socket color. If you set the value of yellow and blue gems to 19, Pawn would always add the socket bonus, even when you wouldn't get it.

That's not how it works in Pawn. You should keep the correct (lower) values for yellow and blue gems. There's an option for gems in the profile. If you enable it Pawn will always put red gems in all sockets, no matter the socket color. If you set the value of yellow and blue gems to 19, Pawn would always add the socket bonus, even when you wouldn't get it.

Oh, okay. I don't trust addons to calculate my BiS personally, so I don't use em, but it is good that it works that way. It just looked terribly off to me in a simple check.

I went into a coding spree this weekend so ended up adding some features to ShadowGreenLight and recoding an old add-on of mine : ShadowFriend (recording and historizing shadowpriest-oriented metrics for future comparisons). Anyway here are the updated descriptions :

Preliminary : Shadow priest suffer from a well-known and documented bug, if spellpower changes (trinket procs etc) update the tick value of their dots, crit and %dmg increase are still only evaluated when the dot is cast. Given the fact that through Pain and Suffering talent Shadow Word: Pain is never recasted during a single target fight, this can lead to important loss of DPS.

ShadowGreenLight takes into account all available raid buffs and debuffs, as well as encounter-specific ones and helps the player decide if recasting Shadow Word: Pain is worth it.

* Background color changes from red (no upgrades available) to green (all raid upgrades available)

* Numeric indicator (top) gives [DPS increase% if SWP is recasted now]/[Total possible DPS increase% in your raid]

* Recast indicator (skull icon in the square) : there are upgrades available, recasting SWP now would increase DPS (does not account for DPS loss of one gcd due to recasting, seen next indicator)

* Time indicator (bottom) : knowing that the player would lose a gcd to SWP recasting, this indicator tells you when the DPS loss would be compensated by SWP ticking for more.

* In some situations (mostly encounter-specific like Thaddius charges or Malygos sparks) there are bonus upgrades available : in this case the top numeric indicator and border of the square are turned red.

All indicators can be turned on/off using /sgl command.

ShadowGreenLight allows for third party author to plug their own display in.

SGL_BonusUpgradeAvailable.jpg

Here the raid buffs/debuffs can account for 10% DPS increase (solo situation with just Shadow Weaving)

Recast indicator is shown and "time to profit" computed to 43 sec

There are bonus upgrades available accounting for a 21% DPS increase

ShadowFriend attempts to provide meaningful information to shadow priests for post-fight analysis :

- Historize fights

- Choose fights to historize (First WotLK raid tier database provided, Ulduar coming soon, you can add Ulduar bosses in the configuration easily in the meantime)

- Metrics : VT / SWP / DP uptime, MB/SW:D cooldown management efficiency, Warnings (Hazardous SW:D casts, Deaths)

history.jpg

I’m looking around for ‘good’ multi target DoT timer / tracker at the moment. I’ve been using Quartz for the last few years due to it’s simplicity and the fact that its dual use for my casting bar as well. However, with the amount of extra DPS we can pick up by multi target dotting in a lot of Ulduar encounters (Kologarn, Mimiron, Yogg Saron etc), I think it’s time to change.

I’m looking for something simple, preferably lightweight and minimal looks wise - Quartz was perfect for me in the past. I don't want trinket timers, shadowfiend cooldowns or fancy stuffs telling me what spells to cast next, just DoT timers. I guess DoT Timer and Ellipsis are the options, does anyone have any experience with them in 3.1?

I've used DoTimer for quite some time, it's a very good addon. It's downside is the initial configuration, which takes a couple raids to get setup completely. It will show ALL buffs, so Replenishment will show for all 10 targets you hit with it. Getting rid of them is very easy too. I believe shift + rclick will prompt you to hide the buff. Again, it's very customizable and haven't had any issues with it when used on live servers.

In 3.1, I haven't noticed any changes. DoTimer on the 3.1 PTR had the same problem that could be seen in any dot tracker addon due to an API change, but that was fixed before 3.1 went live. I don't think I've had to touch it at all in the past week.

I've tried to avoid DoTimer because people will complain that it sends information to other people--even after I've turned off the announce function. Since one of our tanks has a disconnecting problem, I've tried to avoid spammy addons. Good addon while it lasted, though.

Before 3.1 came out, the way that WoW handled "buff/debuff ownership" was different from now. If you want to make quartz only show certain debuffs post after 3.1, as in windcape's post a few changes have to be made. I made these changes to Quartz, build r13:

First, go into the Quartz_buff folder in your addons folder and find the buff.lua file. Open it with notebad... Do a little search and find the following section:

if db.targetdebuffs then

for i = 1, 40 do

local name, rank, texture, applications, dispeltype, duration, expirationTime, caster = UnitDebuff('target', i)

local remaining =  expirationTime and (expirationTime - GetTime()) or nil

if not name then

break

end

if (caster=="player" or caster=="pet" or caster=="vehicle") and duration > 0 then

local t = new()

tmp[#tmp+1] = t

t.name = name

t.texture = texture

t.duration = duration

t.remaining = remaining

t.dispeltype = dispeltype

t.applications = applications

end

end

end
And replace it with:
if db.targetdebuffs then

for i = 1, 40 do

local name, rank, texture, applications, dispeltype, duration, expirationTime, caster = UnitDebuff('target', i)

local remaining =  expirationTime and (expirationTime - GetTime()) or nil

if not name then

break

end

if (caster=="player" or caster=="pet" or caster=="vehicle") then

if (name == 'Misery') then

elseif (name == 'Mind Sear') then

elseif (name == 'Mind Flay') then

elseif (name == 'Shadow Vulnerability') then

elseif (caster=="player" or caster=="pet" or caster=="vehicle") and duration > 0 then

local t = new()

tmp[#tmp+1] = t

t.name = name

t.texture = texture

t.duration = duration

t.remaining = remaining

t.dispeltype = dispeltype

t.applications = applications

end

end

end

end

Anyone can set up their quartz with the debuffs they care about... above, the debuffs I have in there WILL NOT show up when I apply them. The only major change is the
if (name == 'Misery') then

lines that I put in.. the rest is pretty much the standard code. Gotta move some stuff around and add an extra end in since there is an additional If statement in there. Copy/pasting the code would also work, fully replacing this section. Hope this helps.

I made a little video showcasing EventHorizon. I honestly think this mod is capable of making any shadowpriest play better from my experience with it. Despite my enthusiasm for it I am horrible at describing what it does to other shadowpriests convincingly such that they might give it a try.

SP Hero?

I am interested in a mod that can track the relevant debuffs for shadow priest dps. I no longer raid with a consistent group and thus have to worry about pug mages (for example) stacking scorch. I was thinking of white listing all the debuffs to some sort of buff tracker (DoTimer?) but then read about ShadowGreenLight. Does anyone have any experience using this?

5. ShadowGreenLight - Features : - Scan your raid members for talents / abilities that improve SW:P (mainly crit buffs / debuffs) at the cast - Gives a graphical indicator of the current buff / debuff : color switching from red - no buffs / debuffs active - to green - all available buffs / debuffs in raid active. The same information is available as a numeric indicator (eg : 12/25 means your SW:P gets a 12% increase in damage from the 25% that your raid should provide for) - Indicator to signal if you should recast SW:P

I am interested in a mod that can track the relevant debuffs for shadow priest dps. I no longer raid with a consistent group and thus have to worry about pug mages (for example) stacking scorch. I was thinking of white listing all the debuffs to some sort of buff tracker (DoTimer?) but then read about ShadowGreenLight. Does anyone have any experience using this?

I think that ShadowGreenLight will be the best option. When you mouse over the icon it will show you a list of all the current debuffs that are on that target. It will also show you possible other debuffs that could be on the target depending on what you have in the group. I'm not sure if it's able to read what talents the group/raid may have.